Tall Ladies Skaters

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Jan 25, 2013.

1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Singles skaters of either gender are rarely tall for obviously reasons. Tall ladies can have particular challenges for jumps, and the sport is unforgiving to bulk of any kind. Some ladies of great stature have been successful, but the general rule is no taller than 5'5 (165 cm). When you look at the top ladies at Euros this week, the shortest ones, like Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (5'2 or 159 cm) tend to be the contenders.

Kostner, at about 5'6 1/2, is definitely toward the tall end. Who have been other successful taller ladies like Kostner?

Some skaters look very tall-- particularly on television, but they actually aren't. Let's discuss those too!

Let's discuss height and your favorite tall ladies of skating. Has anyone made height an advantage?

2. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Polina Korobeynikova from Russia is very tall. I'd say she's pushing 5'7.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Deleted- double post

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  4. Vash01

There was a German skater who was very tall- in the 1980s I think. Marina Kielmann- her height was 5 ft 7.5 inches. She skated in the 1988 Olympics and continued to compete but missed out on a second Olympic entry because Katarina Witt decided to return to eligible skating in the 1994 Olympics.

ETA: Lenka Kulovana of the Czeck Republic was also 5 ft. 7.5 inches. I saw her skating on TV at the 1993 worlds.

The advantage of height is that the skater can look very elegant, with long lines, particularly in some moves like the camel spin, spiral. The obvious disadvantage is that it's harder to be a consistent jumper, but Kostner was a very consistent jumper early in her career.

5. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Volchkova was taller. She was only 5'6 or 168 cms, but I always thought she looked long, and it made her look more striking. She did sometimes appear sluggish.

1999 Europeans SP
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPzYxUF0OSQ

6. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Butyrskaya, who also looked imposing to me, was really less than 5'3 (160 cm), the same height as Slutskaya. Both were slightly taller than Michelle Kwan at 5'2 (158 cm) and of course Cohen at 4'11 (145 cm). Okay please do not make fun of me for finding these things interesting...

clairecloutier likes this.
  7. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Sasha Cohen isn't 4'11". I'm 4'11" and she's a few inches taller than me. I'd say she's 5'1" or 5'2"...

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

She has grown since she went through puberty last year. :lol:

Her ISU bio has her at 4'11, but you are probably right that she is closer to 5'1 or 5'2. That may be from 2001 or older.

9. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Didn't Lisa Marie Allen stand nearly 6ft in her skates?

10. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Agnes Zawadzki is about 5'7''

11. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Yeah, she is pushing 5'7 according to her ISU bio. I think she uses her long arms beautifully, and she is a popular skater with fans, I think, because of her balletic limbs. On the flip side, she looks like she has to strain twice as hard as to achieve some of the the levels.

Polina Korobeynikova 2012 Worlds SP

12. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

She was 5'8" and though long-limbed she was big. Yet she did at least 1 triple (not bad for the late 70's early 80's). Her jumps were like Boitano's - not quick into rotation, but a lot of height. But she was always second to Linda Fratianne. I think her last Nationals was 1981 but injury prevented her from overtaking Zayak and Hill.

She was extremely glamorous. A very pretty blonde.

13. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Sasha Cohen was definitely not 4'11

Ksenia Makarova is also a tall skater

14. aliceanne

Being tall and long-limbed gives a skater beautiful lines and the skater shows up better on the ice (especially live), but it is considered a disadvantage when it comes to rotating in the air. More height/weight = slower rotation. The skater therefore has to jump higher which is a particular problem for the women.

I believe one of the Helgessons is 5'7". Rory Flack looked quite tall.

15. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Joshi Helgesson is 5'7"
    Sarah Hecken is 5'7"
    Kiira Korpi is listed as 5'6" but I think she's likely pushing 5'7" judging from pictures
    Ksenia Makarova is listed as almost 5'6" (167 cm) on her ISU bio, but lists her height as 170 cm (5'7") on social media sites
    Polina Shelepen is listed as almost 5'6" (167 cm) on the Russian site, her ISU bio says 163 cm (5'4") but that hasn't been changed for a couple seasons and she looks much taller than that
    Not that she's a top skater but Elena Glebova is 166 cm so about 5'5.5" and has a very striking appearance on the ice.
    Cynthia Phanuef was 5'7" or at least 5'6"

Apart from Agnes, the US doesn't have any really tall top level skaters but Christina Gao, Alissa Czisny, and Gracie Gold are all around 5'5" according to their bios. Barbie Long also looks pretty tall, listed a 5'4" but she's likely grown since the bio was last updated and is maybe closer to 5'6" by now.

Anyways it seems like 5'7" is the cutoff height for ladies skaters these days, quite a few between 5'5" and 5'7" are successful, but it's rare to see an internationally competitive lady over 170 cm.

Also icenetwork lists Sasha as 5'2". I think she's likely pushing that, definitely more than 4'11" at least. And I have a hard time believing Tuktamysheva is 159 cm....maybe in skates. She is really really small. I would guess more like 149 cm barefoot, I would be surprised if she's over 5 feet and think 4'10" or 4'11" is more likely.

16. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

How tall was Shizuka? She was taller than Irina and Sasha

17. Vash01

Rory Flack looked pretty tall on the TV screen- not sure of her real height.

If we are considering pairs skaters too, Tai Babilonia has to be the tallest. She looked as tall as her partner Randy Gardner.

18. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Emily Hughes was 5' 6", I believe.

19. aliceanne

Jo Jo Starbuck and Sandra Bezic were as tall as their partners as well as well. Debbi Wilkes actually grew taller than her partner. It gave the early teams great synchronicity but they couldn't do triple twists.

It's also interesting to note that 3 of these North American teams were paired up in childhood and stayed together throughout their careers. Now they likely would have been broken up and a smaller female sought.

Vash01 likes this.
  20. pinky166

About 5'5"-5'6". She was listed as 166 cm on her ISU bio.

I also wonder about the height of Yu Na Kim. She's always listed as 5'4" or 5'4.5", but looking at her, she appears to be more 5'5" or 5'6". I wonder if she maybe grew a few cm slowly over the last few seasons and her height simply was not updated, meaning is is more 166-167 cm now instead of the 163-164 cm she was as a teenager but is still listed as being. It could just be her build though.

21. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Oksana Baiul grew a lot after the Olympics, to about 5 foot 6. Trixi Schuba was about 5 foot 7.

22. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

The ISU bio says Jennifer Robinson was one of the longest ladies of recent times at 170 cm (5'6 9/10"). The extra cm just may be her hair ;)

She was an inspiration to taller ladies with hips. She seriously was an attractive, curvy woman. I remember at 2003 worlds being struck that she was much prettier in person. I think she made good use of her long legs and physical presence toward the end of her career-- definitely from 2002 onward. She seemed to grow more comfortable with her body and image, and it paid off in better programs.

We joke about her third rotations on the ice, but with her height and butt, she had to keep herself pretty trim and work hard to even do a 2A.

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Jennifer Robinson was not only tall for a ladies' skater, but also rather on the curvy side. She had a nice body.

24. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Alexe Gilles hasn't ever had that much success, but she's, like, 5'8. Piper, on the other hand, is only about 5'3, I think.

Ashley Wagner always looks very tall to me, but she's only 5'4. It's her body type and carriage.

25. pinky166

Ashley is actually only 5'3" or maybe a bit less! Quite petite, she just carries herself very well.

The french ladies Meite and Silete I think are both pretty tall, maybe 5'6" or so. Mae especially is very statuesque. Silete might not be quite as tall but has really, really long legs. The voidy cat suit girl, Gilleron-Gory, is listed as 165 cm but looks like she's grown recently.

26. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Jenna McCorkell is 5'6''-5'7''. She is quite tall.

orientalplane likes this.
  27. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

This picture tells that Yuna is at least an inch shorter than Viktoria and Ksenia.

orientalplane likes this.
  28. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I'd say Cynthia is 5'7". I was shocked by how much she grew. Too bad she never found consistency, because she is gorgeous and developed a great figure.

Jennifer was about 5'5, maybe 5'6". I liked her final two seasons' programs and wish they were on YouTube.

Lucinda Ruh is quite tall too, I believe. Tatiana Navka was about 5'9 to 5'10 in skates - taller than me :lol:.

29. pinky166

Oh you are right, Yuna is not that tall. Very long legs though!

30. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Lucinda is 5' 9", according to Wikipedia.