Taking the "Communication" out of Telecommunications

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I hate dealing with my mobile phone company which is the biggest Telco in Australia. After my experience this morning I have to vent.

I currently have a problem with my mobile that causes the charge to deplete really quickly (having to recharge it every day and then last night after I recharge it this morning the battery was flat again). So I am seeking a replacement on the phone as I have a 24 month contract.

I contacted the shop I brought it from but they said I have to contact the company who I signed the contract with.

On ringing the company I get the stupid phone system that asks you to say verbally what you are after, not just press a button, which I absolutely hate.

Then when I finally get onto the company, I end up speaking to 5 different people, 3 of which are in the Phillippines who can't do anything about my problem anyway and keep duckshoving me onto someone else. And each time I have to repeat the problem to everyone of them, along with all my details to verify who I am.

Anyway it provide half an hour of entertainment to my nearby work colleagues as they could hear me getting more and more frustrated with each transfer. But as we all work in Telecommunications, and more particularly the company I was phoning is actually a client of ours who we all know how bad they are, they were not surprised.

I have been promised that someone will call me back within 24 hours to which my response was that they could have problems because my phone wasn't working properly!! Gave them my work number instead and a deadline of 5pm today.

Oh and to add insult I was asked by the last person if I wanted to do a survey on how my call was handled! Ummm NO! When I said "I am not doing a survey" my work colleagues cracked up.

However my question is - why does an industry with the word "Communication" in its name is probably the worst at what it is meant to practise?

Anyway feel free to share about how much you hate your telco as well so we can all vent together.

2. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I sympathize with you. It is a good thing that you're not physically in the room with Customer Service folks like that. If I could have reached out and touched someone at Dell's "Customer Service" in India a few years ago, it would not have been a friendly pat on the back.

As an alternative, does your credit card perhaps offer "Purchase Security" or something similar that might stand behind the phone and pay to replace it? H lost his cell phone and we contacted Amex and they quite happily (and immediately) put a credit in for what we had paid, giving us the funds to buy a new phone.

3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I got the phone as part of a plan where you kind of pay it off over 24 months but it is like a free handset with the plan. My previous phone I paid off over 24 months and that phone lasted 8 years. So I am having to deal with the Telco company which as everyone in Australia knows they have the worst record for customer service.