Taking my hat off to Mao

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by arakwafan2006, Feb 7, 2013.

1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Thank you Floskate. I was going to clarify this, but you beat me to it. :)

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Very well said. She was considered a 'has been' on this board for quite some time (and some may still be saying that, regardless of what she does on the ice).

Mao always showed the ability to bounce back. Her first worlds - she did not have a good SP, but she skated a great LP and placed second overall. Most skaters would not have gone back to the basics of jumps to fix problems after winning two world titles and an Olympic silver. I hope she wins the OGM in Sochi, but even if she does not, she has earned my respect over many past OGM winners.

She skated last year while grieving for the loss of her mother- the most devastating loss at such a young age. Just the fact she competed makes me respect her (I am not forgetting Joannie Rochette).

This year she has shown marked improvement. This is not the kind of language one uses for a 2x world champion, but that just goes to show how hard she works to improve and never stops trying.

The naysayers will continue to say she can 'only' do a 3A when she lands it, and 'she should give it up and fix her other jumps' when she does not. They will continue to focus on any ur and any edge problem she has in any performance. Actually if you leave out Midori and Tonya, there were not perfect jumpers in the ladies field (Yu na comes very close though).

My hat's also off to Mao for what she has accomplished, and that is regardless of where she places at the worlds and the next Olympics.

3. miki88

miki88 New Member

I second your post. Actually, even Midori and Tonya weren't entirely perfect jumpers. Midori's jumps were out of this world but her leg wrap took a little away from the aesthetic aspect of her jumps. Tonya's jumps actually looked better when she landed them but she was far from consistent. Yea the quality of her jumps were great but a perfect jumper should also have consistency imo.

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Sorry, I was not clear. I was referring to the ur and edge calls that a lot of ladies have started getting under COP. Midori and Tonya did not have those issues, and they would have done just fine in that aspect of their jumps under COP.

5. torren

torren New Member

she is the best
    she is only women who can do triple axel!!
    Beats kim who can do only 3lz3t

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Belinda

Belinda Member

For Mao to attempt a 3A and succeed is pretty amazing. Since the Vancouver season, she seems to have matured physically: I've noticed that her shoulders are broader and overall she is more womanly. Therefore for her with that wider body to be able to execute 3A is simply breathtaking.

7. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I think she is the sweetheart of the sport. I wish her the best.

8. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I almost dont want to bring this up but I am amazed that for as hard as she has pushed herself that she's remained virtually injury free. As a matter of fact and I am sure that the statistic police will issue a citation if I am incorrect but other than Miki Ando, the Japanese women are pretty good in the injury dept.

9. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

10. kathy sullivan

kathy sullivan Well-Known Member

I too have become a huge fan of hers. She has it all - musicality, dance, the most difficult technique, and she is inspiring in her presentation. I've have always appreciated her, but with this program and her skating this season she has taken it to another level. Not since Michelle left the scene have I enjoyed a program like the ones she delivered at 4CC's - she was just uplifting to watch.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  11. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Can I just say that the Japanese are so blessed to have these three amazing women representing them like this. Not even talking about their skating, they're just beautiful women with shining personalities.

12. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

I love that she is bringing that artistry she use to display only in exhibitions into her actual competition programs. Prior to this year many of her programs were beautiful (Clare De Lune, Nocturne No. 2 etc) but she only seemed to suit more classical musical as she didn't necessarily need the facial expressions to pull them off.

13. FSUSF

FSUSF New Member

Long live the queen of loop! She can win any competitions with just 3 triple jumps!

Cup of China: 3Lo, 3S, 3Lo+2Lo
    Japan NHK : 2A+3T, 3F, 3Lo+2Lo+2Lo
    Grand Prix Final: 3Lo, 3Lo+2Lo+2Lo, 3F+2Lo
    4CC: 3Lo, 3F+3Lo<, 3F+2Lo+2Lo

14. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

what a lovely thread, arakawafan2006!

I admire her so much for continuing on through all the adversity. I cannot even imagine going through what she went through, and it is so sweet to witness her success this year. My thoughts and prayers are still with her and her family.

I couldn't agree more. And I feel that, as FS fans, we are so lucky to see this level of skating and witness all the special qualities these skaters bring to the ice.

interesting point.