Take it to the Max (All About Aaron)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Feb 19, 2013.

1. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Sean Abram demonstrated for us during a development camp at my rink last year. I swear he was so close to cracking his head on the ice. IRL there's even less clearance....

Oh. Um. Good morning, Mr Aaron.

I still can't believe how big his thighs are. He really has a speed-skater's build. And those thighs wouldn't look out of place in the forward line of a rugby team...
  2. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I know! :D His calves look strong, too. And he's been working on his pecs and biceps! ;)
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  3. dardar1126

4. dardar1126

Twitter:

Fearless...and a little naughty...

:HA!:

And, WOW, the story of his broken back and the recuperation/rehab period is much worse than we thought, took much longer to heal than we knew, and still bothers him today! :eek:

EDIT: New pic from the article...

http://www.teamusa.org/~/media/TeamUSA/Journey of Champions/Hughes_Aaron_062613_300x375.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  5. dardar1126

6. dardar1126

Twitter: (brief Instagram video)

7. dardar1126

8. dardar1126

Twitter:

So young, so much hair.... :D
  9. dardar1126

10. dardar1126

Twitter: (cute brief video)

:lol:

EDIT:

:rofl:
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  11. dardar1126

This gives a little background to the above (link is to the same brief video):

Twitter:

(time has expired to edit the previous post)
  12. dardar1126

Twitter:

EDIT: The color isn't all that bright, but I think Max may be wearing the infamous yellow trousers! :D
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  13. dardar1126

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  14. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

dardar, board etiquette dictates to avoid posting multiple posts. If no one has posted under you then you can just edit your own post & add additional information, or in your case, more twitters. :p
  15. dardar1126

Looks like we have a NEW HOME! :D Now where did I pack the cups and saucers? :confused:
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  16. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

dardar, I appreciate all the updates on Max. It looks like he's having the time of his life. May his successes continue! :encore: Thank you to Sylvia, for starting this thread. Bring on the Max news & pics!
  17. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

Enjoying all the videos/pics of Max. Has he started training for next season? Any announcement about music and programs?

I really enjoyed his FS last year...very intense and powerful. Looking forward to seeing him in Boston.
  18. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Max's long program is a "modern Carmen". His short is, according to him, "sassy and upbeat". :)
  19. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

Thanks for the music info misskarne :) Sassy and upbeat should really suit Max.
  20. dardar1126

Glad to see so many posts; thanks, and keep up the good work, y'all! :D

We know that Max is super into sports. Not only his own hockey and figure skating, but he has also expressed an interest in eventually becoming a sports agent. I've noticed by his Twitter account that he is really enjoying his training time at the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. He's become friends with members of the women's bobsled team, a shooter, a member of the women's soccer team, and a gymnast! He also follows a boxer or two. :cool:

And he's gotten to know other sports coaches and trainers...so he is building a good professional network, as well as making diverse and interesting friends.
  21. dardar1126

Twitter:

I've always thought that Max is one of the most gracious and respectful young athletes that I've ever seen. And I think this tweet of his reflects that attitude. Sure, he's talking about a boxing match, but it is indicative of his overall philosophy:

:respec:
  22. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

I really like Max. I hope he has a great Olympic season! :)
  23. dardar1126

Twitter:

So, Max is gonna do an Ask Me Anything on Reddit...think of some good questions, y'all! :D

EDIT: http://www.reddit.com/

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  24. dardar1126

Twitter:

Dang, check out how huge his thighs are getting! :cool:
  25. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

They look disproportional to his lower body though :shuffle:
  26. dardar1126

Twitter: This is from the reporter mentioned in the previous tweet...

287 lbs!?! WOW!! :cheer:
  27. dardar1126

28. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

29. dardar1126

Twitter:

30. dardar1126

31. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

32. dardar1126

Highlights from Max's REDDIT AMA: (see above link for full transcript)

On training regime/preparation:

A normal workout day for me:
    I do a short cardio session in the morning as a warmup and then I skate four 45-minute sessions. After that I'll go to the gym where I spend a lot of time doing explosive lifting (cleans, jerks, snatch, squats and some plyometrics) and then I end with a very intense cardio session. After that I'll head to rehab to protect against injuries.

I spend a lot of time with my psychologist and we go through a lot of the things that could happen at an event so I am ready for anything.

I try and prepare myself so that there are no nerves. I enjoy figure skating so much, so why be nervous to do something you love. Life is too short to let nerves get in the way.

I have been trying to keep everything the same. What I did last year worked for me so I am hoping to keep training as hard as I can.

My diet consists of high-protein and low-carbs. I put a lot of effort into maintaining my diet.

(Faith and family are very important to him...see transcript.)

On skating:

I think last year's programs were definitely on the masculine side, but I think there were a lot of artistic elements while I was playing a character along with following the music. I have been working hard to find a nice balance between being athletic and artistic for this year's programs.

Thanks! I try not to let anything phase me, I feel like I am trained and ready for anything to happen. Sometimes you only get one opportunity in life and I wasn't going to let that affect me [hitting the boards at Worlds].

Favorite jump: Triple Axel
    Favorite non-jump element: Footwork, especially for this year.

I'm taking things day by day. My short-term goal is to make the 2014 Olympic Team, but 2018 is definitely a long-term goal of mine.

I do plan to compete prior to my GP assignments, but I'm going to wait to announce where I will be competing.

The choreo is planned by my choreographers, Pasquale Camerlengo and Lori Nichol, but we work together to make sure it looks correct for me to do it.

The outfits are custom-made and I have a hand in designing them to go along with my music. I think people want to keep everyone on their toes and changing their costume is one way to do it.

Thanks for your support of figure skating and I always try and make time to meet my fans!
    Hopefully you can expect to see two clean performances!

The most common pet peeve for me are when holes aren't patched on the ice properly because it's really easy to twist an ankle and get seriously injured.
    I try not to be picky because I'm always on other people's ice and I just go with it

I skated before and after school, I did go to public school my entire life.
    I took my sports very seriously and no one disrespected me because they saw how hard I was working.

If I make the [Olympic] team I'd love to compete in the team event. It's another opportunity to win an Olympic medal.

That is true that dance lessons can improve your skating if used in the right way. I have been doing both ballet and ballroom dance for a while and as I became more mature I began to enjoy them in their own way. I tried to perform them in the studio like it was a competition.

I look forward to competing against the best athletes in the sport, I'm always up for a challenge.

I am trying to keep this a secret for as long as I can [SP music], I am trying to build some suspense and that everyone enjoys both programs.
    The free skate is going well and is definitely different for me and a step in the right direction.

When I was 15 I was doing all my triple jumps except for the Axel. My spins were alright, I don't think I was a great spinner when I was younger.

The quad Sal took me a couple months to land my first one.

I think it's important to be fair and clean in any sport. I don't think they're [performance-enhancing drugs] very prevalent in my sport, but I am all about being clean and having a level playing-field.

Misc:

Fave hockey team = Detroit Red Wings

Fave female skaters = Gracie Gold ;) , Michelle Kwan, Ashley Wagner, Sarah and Emily Hughes and rink-mate Agnes Zawadzki.

Fave pizza toppings = Pepperoni & Cheese

Fave dinosaur = I have to go with the T-Rex, who I consider the most dominant dinosaur. :cool:

Other sports = As I grew up, I played a lot of sports, but I fell in love with figure skating but I still love playing a lot of other sports. Hockey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7NlB3CZGaE&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_rE3bivyW-5h3O_bynaGxA
    But also basketball, baseball and gymnastics.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  33. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

After listening to his TSL podcast a while back I have been wanting to make a positive comment about his interview. It was so nice to hear someone speak without saying "Like" and "Um" a million times between every few words! This is a good skill to have in the business world when you need to pass courses, earn a living, etc. Nice job to Max and his parents/teachers.
  34. dardar1126

Twitter:

35. dardar1126

Twitter:

Max content:

Pg 3 -- Pic in Table of Contents

Pg 7 -- Mention in NBC promo shoot article

Pgs 10 -- Pic in Governing Council Gala article

Pgs 14-15 -- World Team Trophy article (w/pic)

Pgs 30-31 -- Pic in Sochi article

Pg 46 -- Pic in Boston2014 ad

Back page -- Pic in icenetwork.com ad
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  36. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Finally got to read the whole Q&A - loved it. Yay, Max! :encore:
  37. dardar1126

Twitter:

That's freaking AWESOME! He is really taking his dancing lessons seriously. What kind of dance I wonder? Please let it be TANGO! :hat1:

EDIT:

EDIT2:

PIC: https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/969529_10200266944576133_2055451922_n.jpg
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  38. dardar1126

39. dardar1126

40. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Fun pix! Thanks dardar!