Take it to the Max (All About Aaron)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Feb 19, 2013.

1. misskarne

misskarne #408

Agreeing especially with the bolded. That's just plain nasty. We're talking kids who are 14, 15. They can't possibly be expected to be full-blown artists.

We have enough problems keeping boys and men in the sport without people having cracks at teenagers because they don't meet their snob-nosed definition of artistry!

IMO - personality is more important than "aristry".

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

The best advice!

I am the first to admit that I ride Tom Z on this board, but the Tom Z team does know how to CoP whore, and he offers training at altitude which goes a long way in conditioning. However, they don't have a great history of packaging their skaters which hits the PCS, and they ignore all the flourishes and non-jump elements that can make a skater stand out. Max is watchable and I think based on the IN article, he understands his limitations and he's using it the right way. By using music from 'Tron' and 'WSS', maybe Team Max knows how to package a skater and as long as Max understand his limitations, he can actively collaborate with Tom Z (if that is where he stays) and come up w/ decent programs.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I don't ever remember so many articles for a figure skater to emphasize the religion of the skater. His faith community has really jumped on his bandwagon. It is nice to see the press.

5. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

People of our stock aren't plentiful in the elite athlete ranks, so the Jewish press gets very excited when one comes along. ;)

If Max makes the Oly team, I'm sure he will be on the cover of every Jewish publication in both the U.S. and Israel, just like Sasha Cohen was in 02 and 06. :)

6. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Sasha Cohen was certainly not on the cover of every publication in Israel, actually I don't recall her being on the cover of any publication. C/S's bronze at 2002 Worlds got some attention, and I've seen a few articles about the Zaretskis, but that's about it. Though there was a video on Youtube of her supposedly skating to a song in Hebrew, I forget which; in reality someone just used one of her Nationals performances and changed the music :p I figure if Aaron visits Israel or does really well next season, there might be an article or two.

Maybe if the Maccabiah had winter sports. I hear Aly Raisman will compete here this summer.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  7. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Several of my Israeli colleagues emailed me about Max over the weekend as I am the only person who has ever said the words "figure skating" in their hearing. ;)

They were very happy about his success, so they must have seen or heard about it somewhere.

8. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

OK, I stand corrected. :) I do remember articles in Israeli pubs on her leading up to the Olys, with large photos, so I assumed they must have been at or close to the front of the pub. But hard to tell online. Most Jewish pubs in the U.S. had her on the cover - thinking of the weekly papers - as part of the JTA Olympic preview. There were some other Jewish athletes profiled, but as a ladies singles skater from the U.S., Sasha was the most prominently featured.

9. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

IIRC, she did get more press here than most figure skaters - but since skating isn't something most Israelis are familiar with, it just doesn't get much coverage, and what little there isn't always of the highest quality. And I don't think this will change until we have a high profile local skater break through.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Re-posting these comments from another thread:
    It's not true. :)
    From this article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130304&content_id=42248594&vkey=ice_news
    "Aaron's first ice sport was hockey, which he played from the age of 3 until almost 17, when he broke his back. At that point, he decided to focus exclusively on figure skating, which he had started at 9."

Yes, Aaron was 13 when he won his Intermediate bronze medal that season (Miner won the gold and was 14).

From his Team USA bio on IN: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=101022
    "Suffered a fractured back four years ago and was off the ice for a year."
    This sentence isn't exactly true since he didn't miss a competition season. His back injury occurred after 2008 Nationals (placed 13th in Junior) and he spent four months in a body cast. He next competed at 2009 Midwestern Sectionals in November 2008 (8th in Junior).

ETA 2 photos:

Here he is wearing that new suit (birthday gift) that his parents helped purchase for Worlds: http://instagram.com/p/XFc0hJI2A5/

Aaron was recently honored by the mayor of Colorado Springs with a "Spirit of the Springs" award: http://instagram.com/p/XFgE3NI2EU/

Max's next competition is World Team Trophy in Tokyo, April 11-14.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  11. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Now I am curious about his hockey.

Article from the 2004 junior nationals, which he won at juvenile.
    This from his old hockey team's page from the 2005-2006. Bantam AAA would indeed be an elite team - Bantams are 13/14 year olds. His bio mentions the developmental team as well as being a nationally ranked figure skater.
    Current article about his hockey career.

12. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Max looks cool in his new suit!:cheer:

13. misskarne

misskarne #408

Love Max's new suit - the grey looks really good on him.

But oh dear, those shoes. :(

14. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Max looks great in his long suit and as for his short legs...male figure skaters are generally getting shorter these days so I hardly even notice it! Like seriously they are all so small now, most are not even the average male height of 5'10". I think the technical demands of COP are favoring smaller guys because if you think back: Lysacek is 6'2", Cousins was 6', Boitano 5'11", Bradley 6', Andreev 6'1", and I'm sure there were others that were similarly tall. But these days, not many tall male skaters, and the most successful ones are almost all below average height. Most of the guys are quite small, maybe 5'5" to 5'8" on average, some even less (Oda and Machida), and the few that are around average height are usually stick thin to make up for it, like Reynolds, Kovtun, and Song who I think are like 5'10". Joubert is a normal sized man but his quads are now getting downgraded and he's really not a member of the new generation anyways.

A new age of skating has arrived and it's about big jumps and athleticism and less about lines and artistry and Max is really representative of this new mold. So who cares about the lack of artistry as a novice or even now, if you have the jumps to make up for it, a skater will still do well.

15. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

:confused: LOL! "Les Miserables" is not a warm and fuzzy musical; it would be completely inappropriate to the theme of his musical selections if he were to smile through that piece. If I saw anyone ever smile while interpreting "Bring Him Home", I would think they completely lack any mental capacity or lack maturity. It's like Gracie Gold grinning through her entire "Life is Beautiful" program . . . do you not know anything about the music and the movie that you are skating to?

16. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

In the runup to the 2006 and 2010 Winter Olympic Games, there were lots of articles that emphasized the fact that Tugba Kardemir was a Muslim. Look for even more if Armin Mahbahnoozadeh or Yasmin Siraj ever wins a national championship.

17. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Lysacek is certainly from the IJS era, so he's an exception to the pattern you're trying to show.

But there were plenty of short male skaters, 5'7" or under, long before IJS: Scott Hamilton, Paul Wylie, Brian Orser, Alexander Fadeev, Kurt Browning, Elvis Stojko, Tim Goebel, Takeshi Honda, etc. Plenty more in the 5'8"-5'9" range. I think it's more the demands of multirevolution jumps that favor more compact bodies.

And shorter skaters also tended to be better at quick footwork, in the days when that was especially valued in step sequences. It still is, but only as one feature among many.

18. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

How did i miss this ? :)

Huh?! Where ?

I'm sorry, "Here" ?
    Are you in Israel ?

And if so, Wanna be my new best friend ?

19. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I always find it funny when I read how tall a skater says they are. Steven Cousins is not 6'. Maybe he has shrunk, but I stood beside him not long ago and I would say he is maybe 5'10". Joubert walked by me while I was waiting for the bus at Worlds (I never really appreciated him until I saw him live, but I digress ... :swoon::swoon: ) and he is also around the 5'9" maybe 5'10 mark.

As for line and artistry not counting for anything, I disagree. If anything I think the focus is on having a whole package. Jumps and artistry together.

As for Max, he was one of the highlights for me at Worlds. Yes, he has lots of areas he can improve (who doesn't?) but he has great attack, great presence on the ice, and he seems to thrive on competition. I look forward to seeing what he does next year.

20. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I think she was referring to Robin Cousins.

21. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Yes Robin Cousins. I have never met him personally but I would believe he's 6 feet, he always looked very tall on the ice. Joubert is still one of the taller guys competing today and he really is just average, he is listed as 5'10.5" but most people who have met claim he isn't even as tall as that, more likely 5'9". I wouldn't be surprised if the skaters or their Feds inflated their heights a little though because most of the guys are really small! On wikipedia it says Josh Farris is 5'10.5", but in pictures from the awards banquet, he's like the same height as Max, who is very small, probably 5'6" or 5'7", so yeah no way close to that height in reality. But these days, it seems like most of the guys are small like I said. Javi towered over Chan and Ten on the Worlds podium and he's like what, 5'8" maybe? Men's skating is becoming more and more like gymnastics I feel, which is interesting because over the summer I was noticing how small (compared to normal) and muscular/athletic the male gymnasts were! And they were so much more exciting to watch because they were like dynamos, so compact and explosive!

22. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I just love the speed, power and dynamic quality of Max's skating...he's exciting to watch! :cool:

Here's something I received on Twitter:

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating

Click here to read all the recaps from the 2013 U.S. Championships in the March SKATING magazine! http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2013/04/02/skating-magazine-march-issue-2/ …

There's a nice article about Max, as well as lots of other skating coverage.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  23. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

That's one of the prices you have to pay if you'll start to practice a lot as a kid. Most of the body energy goes to training and not to growing.

24. misskarne

misskarne #408

Very cute article with Max. I didn't know that he and Ross were so close, but that sure explains the backstage dynamic between them. ;)

25. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Nice article about Max. I hope he does not read comments ever again :yikes:

26. dardar1126

Amen THAT!

But I think he was hurt more when members of the skating establishment told him the same thing when he was younger. I'm glad that he's gotten encouragement from Sandra Bezic, Scott Hamilton and others.

I love Max's new attitude that he's not going to let other people tell him what he can and cannot do! :respec:

EDIT: When I think of a theme song for Max I think of Defying Gravity from WICKED!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
    dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  27. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

^ love this as a theme for Max! :cheer:

28. dardar1126

29. dardar1126

30. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

OMG- is he playing in a game against that other guy? Because that guy is like 3x his size!