Take it to the Max (All About Aaron)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, Sylvia. I was hoping our local Jewish newspaper (The Jewish Exponent Phila., PA) would pick up this story! Now, maybe they will?
  3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Have you thought about contacting the editor with a lead?
  4. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

A small mistake in the article: "Finishing 13th (@Worlds) or better puts him on the U.S. Olympic team for the 2014 Games in Sochi, Russia."
  5. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I just saw this. (Professionally I get the JTA bulletin every day). And I emailed a friend at JTA the exact facts on this which hopefully will correct the story.
    Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  6. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

That comment really threw me for a loop. Glad to know it is a mistake. I am such a fan of his...great talent, great enthusiasm & personality. Go Max!!
  7. PRlady

8. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

9. PRlady

God, you're right. I think I'm going to have to let it go, if she didn't understand my very clear email she will only get pissed at having to change it again. Sigh.
  10. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

What? A reporter getting pissed off for correcting a factual error? I hope this reporter has higher professional integrity than that.
  11. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I'm always happy to see skating articles - especially ones that go to some length - but I hope she didn't get paid too much for writing that. :shuffle: I'm consistently amazed at what passes for professional writing these days. My high schooler could probably have written it with more coherance.
  12. paskatefan

I have contacted the editor about this, including before this article appeared, through private e-mail, Facebook, & Twitter (also yesterday). There is a local angle to this too. Max's family lived for a time in Dresher, PA (a suburb of Philly). I found out this info @ last July's Liberty Summer Competition in Aston, PA when I got to talk to Max & his parents.
  13. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

IIRC, Aaron's parents lived in the area when Dr. Aaron was doing his residency.
  14. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

15. Sylvia

Happy 21st birthday to Max Aaron! :)

Was the JTA article corrected further? It now reads:
  16. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Is he capable of a 4toe? I wonder if he'd be ambitious enough to add one to the SP, as the solo jump, and then to the LP (perhaps replace one of the 3x's)
  17. Sylvia

Max has said he plans to incorporate the 4T into his programs next season. At the June 2012 Broadmoor Open Jumps comp., I saw him land a 4S+2T+2Lo & a 4T on the webcast.
  18. Sylvia

USFS' tweets re. Max's pre-Worlds media teleconference today:
  19. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Huh? This is insane.:eek:

Go Max.:kickass:
  20. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Just as long as he doesn't break himself trying to do it....
  21. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

So worried for all the men trying to outdo each other multi-quadding.

Stay healthy, Max!
  22. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Agree. Any serious injuries will see the end to the jumps and probably career. Not worth breaking one's back for a medal, IMO (unless of course one is bionic like Plushenko).:D
  23. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Thanks for always finding and posting the latest info., Sylvia, it's much much appreciated! :)

Dream BIG, that's the way to go, even Walt Disney says a dream is a wish your heart makes....

And may all Max's dreams come true. :saint:

ps: HAPPY BELATED 21ST BIRTHDAY! :respec:
  24. olympic

Encouraging to me that he has been with Pasquale Camerlengo for choreography. I think he needs that more than anything else.

He is 'working towards 3 quads in the free' - Is that in preparation for Worlds or is that just generally?? I get that 'shoot for the stars' comment is likely just related to the future
  25. paskatefan

We just got our latest copy of our weekly Jewish newspaper, The Jewish Exponent (Phila., PA). The JTA article got printed in the paper! :cheer:
  26. Sylvia

27. Sylvia

Here's a summary of some highlights from the call - I thought Max was informative and well-spoken.

After 4 Continents, he said he worked on enhancing the choreography of both his programs with Pasquale Camerlengo in Colorado Springs with a goal of turning up the performance (level) and attaining level 4 in his step sequences. His program will have the same jump layout for Worlds.

He mentioned that he started hearing hurtful comments about his style of skating at the Novice level -- that he would never make it big in the sport because he was categorized as too much of an "European style" skater like Brian Joubert, and that a lot of U.S. fans and judges were more used to a Jeremy Abbott/Matt Savoie style of skater, which he knew he could not be. He thought about quitting skating last year but decided he wanted to give it his all and didn't want to leave anything unturned as well as let anyone tell him what he can and can't do in skating.

He works with a sports psychologist and believes "pressure is for those who are unprepared" and that he is very well-trained not be affected by a mistake, like a fall. He cited 4 Continents as being very good preparation for Worlds since the pressure was more intense there than he had ever experienced before, including skating in front of a packed house in Japan.

He was asked about quads and the risk of injury and he replied that the key for him is off-ice training and recovery. He has a varied off-ice regimen to build explosiveness in his legs, stamina, and to train his back and spine to take the impact of landing quads: lifting weights, treadmill, exercises in the pool, running, etc.

He mentioned that he is working towards having two 4S and a 4T in his FS, maybe even 4 quads eventually. He says he also has practiced quad loop and Lutz, but not Axel yet, though he'd like to try it in the off-season just to see if he could get around.
  28. olympic

As always, Thanks Sylvia.

So, his jump layout at Worlds will be two 4sals (4s-3t and 4s) and the 3 jump combo will be 2x-1Loop -3sal. Was kinda hoping he'd slip a 4t in there somewhere by Worlds and really rock the house!

I'm glad he's working on the choreography w/ Pasquale even more and trying to obtain Lv4 on the FW, and that he is handling the pressure well. Max has a body type that doesn't lend itself to easy balletic extensions. He has short, powerful legs.

Hopefully, he will do well at Worlds.
  29. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Max AAron is US men's next big thing well until Joshua, Jason, Vincent and Nathan get enough experience
    the way the US media is playing so much about Max and Gracie as the new stars are a bit premature atm though
  30. jlai

jlai Title-less

I like Jeremy's style but when I watched Max live and he was on, I enjoyed him--every single time.
  31. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Poor Max. :( Fancy hearing that when you were only a Novice...

I'd rather watch Max over Jeremy any day! I like his mindset...it seems very strong! :)

So he's nuts then :eek:

You may as well get used to it, now that it's come out that they're dating the NBC are gonna go nuts.

Not sure about Gracie, but Max seems so rock-solid that maybe, just maybe, the US has a man or two that they can rely on at last.

Bingo. Watching the long programs of the top four, I keep thinking that I always enjoy Max, Ross and Joshua, but not Jeremy, and I think I know why - Max looked like he was having a ball, Ross was grinning like a maniac, even Joshua smiled during his skate (which is unusual for him)...but Jeremy looked like he was being killed by slow torture.
  32. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I like Max Aaron, I really do, but the U.S. judges have treated him much more kindly than they ever treated Matt Savoie.
  33. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

If he can get a freaking quad axel around, I hope USfsa will send him to a senior b just so he can go land one in competition (I can't really imagine someone taking a risk like that at a major comp, not when he can get big points on other solid quads)
  34. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Probably more a push for them to be treated with respect by international judges at Worlds. Here's hoping the entire U.S. team brings it at Worlds in London, Ontario!
  35. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

What's wrong with an European style? :confused: Max shouldn't feel hurt because he should develop his own style. If he starts off as being more power and athletic, then make full use of his strengths and continue to improve on other areas where he may be seen to be weaker in. He must be doing the right thing to get where he is now. Go Max:kickass: ;)
    mag and (deleted member) like this.
  36. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ ITA! It's a mixed bag of apples and oranges anyway. Back in the day, Dick Button was seen as the powerful, athletic North American skater going up against the more artistic European-style skaters. Jackson Haines left America and gained fame in Austria as a skater who introduced lyrical arm movements and music to figure skating. In his book, Johnny Weir said that early in his career, he was accused by some USFS officials of looking "too Russian" with his costumes. Toller Cranston was an artistic innovator from Canada. Elvis Stojko was a Canadian skater who raised the bar technically and athletically.

There are all kinds of skaters regardless of country of origin who have different qualities to bring and none should be labeled, categorized and/ or marginalized. I think Max should just continue improving his weaknesses, developing his strengths and doing his own thing on the ice.
  37. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'd much rather see a skater do his own style well than try to imitate someone else. I always loved Matt Savoie, but I enjoyed Max's performance in Omaha as well.
  38. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Sylvia, did I tell you recently how much I love you? :D Thank you so much for the summary of the conference.
  39. Sylvia

Sedge and (deleted member) like this.
  40. Sylvia

New article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130306&content_id=42354590&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    Also mentioned in the article is that Aaron won the Professional Skaters Association's EDI Award for Best Men's Performance at 2013 Nationals.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013