Takahiko kozuka says the silver medal changes my score.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by krnsskate, Nov 9, 2011.

1. krnsskate

krnsskate New Member

In a newspaper article,Takahiko Kozuka says:
    The big title of world championships medalist changes my score higher.
    Because judges are criticized if they give low scores to a skater with high reputation.
    Judes have human feelings, that influence scores.
    That was why I wanted to get good result last season.
    From my first competition of last season,I was very determined,wasn't I?
    (He won in two GPS and was the third in GPF.)
    Some people might consider it not good,but this is reality.
    Actually,I feel that my score is different from what I have got before I won silver medal in 2011 world chanpionships.

In this competition(Skate America 2011),I was in high spirits.
    But I think I was also nervous because this is my first competition in this season.
    I was the third, however I was not anxious about that result. For I felt what I have done all just then.
    I missed all jumps including the quadruple jump in SP, and I missed the quadruple jump and 3-lutz jump,which I usually do not miss,in FP.
    However my PCS was highest among the all competitors.

For me, PCS was one wall.
    Patrick Chan and Daisuke Takahashi get high valuation for their programs whether they succeed with their jumps or not.Therefore, their PCS are still higher.
    In my case,my PCS was high when I succeeded with jumps, but I lost many points when I missed jumps.
    For example,in 2011 world championships-I was the second-my PCS is high, but in 2011 4CC-I was the fourth-my PCS are only in 6s.
    In this competition,my PCS are all in 7s in both programs.
    But,nothing starts without succeeding jumps.
    By next competition,the NHK trophy,I will practice jumps harder.

After Vamcuver Olympic, quadruple jumps became more popular among male skaters.
    Now every skater tries it as if it is the focus of the competition.
    "That is why men's skatings is so exciting."my SP's choreographer,David Wilson said.
    In Canada,while I and Javier Fernandez(ESP) were practicing in the same rink,he started doing many quadruple jumps just when photographers appeared to take my pictures.
    Like that,male skaters get more motivated,like"I wanna do it too".
    According to David,ladies skaters are not as competitive as male skaters.
    Certainly,now men's conpetitions are more exciting, like "a battle of quadruple jumps"

If everbody does quadruple jumps,victory and defeat depend on PCS.
    That is why programs are so important.

--------------
    This is excerpted from {ttp://www.nikkei.com/sports/column/article/g=96958A88889DE1E7EBE6E5E3E7E2E0E5E3E2E0E2E3E3E2E2E2E2E2E2;p=9694E3E0E2EAE0E2E3E2E1E6E6E4}.

His opinion looks different from other Japanese skaters's one.
    What do you think about this?

kwanfan1818, LynnW, gkelly and 3 others like this.
  2. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

He pretty much gave the truth about the way things are. I agree with him. Thanks for translating the article for us! :)

3. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

There's a lot of truth in what he's saying here: In comparison with Chan and Takahashi (both of whom I love), Kozuka was undermarked in PCS for a couple of years at least. I hope he'll continue to get the marks he deserves now.

Of course, as he also says, he'll still need the jumps including the quad to compete.

CoP is finally starting to pay off now that skaters are recognizing the need for both the big jumps and all the other elements that make Kozuka, Chan, Takahashi such great skaters: it's both/and rather than either/or.

4. krnsskate

krnsskate New Member

sorry.
    {http://www.nikkei.com/sports/column/article/g=96958A88889DE1E7EBE6E5E3E7E2E0E5E3E2E0E2E3E3E2E2E2E2E2E2;p=9694E3E0E2EAE0E2E3E2E1E6E6E4}

5. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Thank god cop has fixed all of the sports problems! :lol:

Pierre and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

krnsskate, I fixed your article link (you need the tags): [url]http://www.nikkei.com...E3E2E2E2E2E2E2;p=9694E3E0E2EAE0E2E3E2E1E6E6E4

7. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

double post

8. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Well, in his case, he has always deserved high PCS. So in a way it's wrong almost that he has to medal at Worlds to finally get what he deserves.

(and now secretly hoping Abbott finally medals at Worlds - although I just said a few days ago that I think his prime might have been over as far as world medals are concerned...)

9. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Takahiko says it like it is, IMO.

10. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

A World podium containing Taka and Jeremy (and, ideally, Chan or Dai) would send me into a delirium from which I might never recover. :swoon:

Especially if my little cutie pie Javier Fernandez rounded out the top five :D

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  11. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Agreed. He is so right about reputation and PC's. It is nice to hear a skater say it out loud.

Thank you Krnsskate for the translation.

12. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

A new reason to love Takahiko: he's incredibly honest and sincere! :)

13. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I hate to see his scores plummet if more judges and officials got wind of this. I'm glad he's speaking up as many here have been arguing that PCS and other parts of the COP is not as objective as many are arguing despite being quantifiable and having an elements by the numbers system where you can illustrate any sort of defense to the score of one's favored competitor (or in wanting to defend the system itself).

14. skfan

skfan Member

i don't think the repercussions would be that obvious. i can imagine someone might quietly tell mr. sato that kozuka needs to be more thoughtful when he speaks.

i applaud kozuka's candor, but as a dai fan i think kozuka over-estimates how kind the judges have been to dai since dai fell from japan #1 to japan #2.5. dai's not in the chan stratosphere in terms of judging leniency anymore--perhaps kozuka is talking about old times?

back to the here and now, if kozuka's scores get dinged it will be because
    1. kozuka fell a lot, in multiple competitions
    2. yuzuru seizes claim to japan #1

15. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

It's also possible that his PCS improved because he has more confidence and is skating better. Just as judges can score PCS according to reputation, a skater can improve due to the boost a world podium finish gives.

16. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I think some skaters like Zhang/Zhang would disagree with him.

17. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

But Zhang/Zhang have not been World medalists since 2009 and with the return of Shen/Zhao in the 2010 season, they lost their pecking order and momentum as their performance level decreased due to flawed competitions. As a result of their struggles in competition, not only did Shen/Zhao return and take their positioning, but Pang/Tong also really improved their game from not medaling at the 2008 and 2009 Worlds to performing better than they ever have in the 2010 season, becoming Olympic silver medalists and World champions. Suddenly, Zhang/Zhang went from being the top Chinese finishers at Worlds in 2008 and 2009 to becoming Chinese pair #3 in 2010. Zhang/Zhang simply cannot compare to Shen/Zhao and Pang/Tong when those two teams are at the top of their game. Being out with injury in 2011 as well as the emergence of the Chinese junior World medalists into the senior ranks has only made it tougher for the Zhangs to reclaim their past momentum.

18. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

This is actually quite interesting and brings up a trend I have noticed this season. Skaters that are doing quads, are ending up on top, most notably in the short program, where "Lower" level skaters are placing ahead of "higher" level skaters that go clean but with only triples.

Two examples I can think of is Javier with a quad in the short at Skate Canada, I believe he placed ahead of Daisuke Takahashi, a former world champion who did a clean program with no quad in the short.

The second example is Yuzuru Hanyu, just recently at cup of china, ahead of Nobunari Oda I believe, again in the short, Yuzuru with a quad, Oda with just triples.

This almost never used to happen, even when "lower" level skaters did more technically demanding programs, if the "higher" level skaters went clean with lesser technical content, the "higher" level skaters still ended up on top, but it's really interesting to see this really start to change. (It seems that the difference in the PCS for the "higher" level skaters compared to "lower" level skaters are no longer enough to cover for the advantage of doing a quad, at least in the short).

19. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Z/Z weren't the best skaters, it had nothing to do with S/Z, the judges gave them the score they deserved regardless of what they received in the past; world or olympic medal.

Judges are not going to keep bad skaters on the podium in fear of being ridiculed just because in the past they "happened" to win a world medal.

You can add Dube and Davison to that list as well, if you don't skate well, you will not medal.

20. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Kozuka should give himself more credit for having ACTUALLY improved during the off season,...truly earning the increase in his PCS. A possible lack of confidence, or as Kurt would put it, the "rock star"? I wonder?...if he feels his marks are better for reasons external to his actual performance and improved ability.

21. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

well the revolution hasn't chaged everything yet :lol:
    Miette had the 2nd highest tes at nhk, but the 2nd lowest pcs so finished near the bottom of the pack.
    Mao was 7th in tes, but 2nd in pcs keeping her in medal contention.
    "higher" level skaters are still being recognized.