Takahashi & Tran split

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Mevrouw, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/all/headlines/20121218-00000021-kyodo_sp-spo.html

Takahashi, world bronze figure set pair resolution Tran18, Japan Skating Federation announced the pair (22) = Canada = was solved a combination network Kinoshita (20) = Narumi Takahashi, Marvin Tran of last season's World Championships bronze medal in pairs figure skating. Intends to continue the competition Both players, look for a new partner.
     towards the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics organization is adopted for the first time, Tran was seeking to acquire Japanese citizenship, had been living in Japan difficulty without a proven track record. According to officials, nationality problem is that it is not the only reason.
     We have issued a statement through the federation "in recent years, from an aggressive feeling so I passed from the discrepancy of thoughts on the competition, continue to love skating, decided to eliminate the pair" Takahashi said.
     Tran and formed a duo in 2007, Takahashi born in Chiba Prefecture, won the first medal of the Olympics as a representative of Japan, including the pair at the World Championships in March this year. Such as left shoulder surgery in October Takahashi, this season has been away from the game. [17:04 December 18, 2012 Kyodo News]

ETA: the translation seems to mix up some lines and is very unclear. Seems from Takahashi's tweets that it was her idea.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  2. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

What a shame. :(

That translation is very hard to figure out, but this seems like the underlying statement is wrong:

Seems like the author confused her with Daisuke.

3. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

:eek:

So, if both are looking for a new partner... than we assume that Takahashi will look for a partner who is either Japanese, or one that has a shot at Japanese citizenship (though, the latter doesn't sound hopeful to me if Tran didn't get citizenship in this case). And Mervin Tran would be most likely to look for a partner in Canada.

I enjoyed them together especially when they were *on*. Best wishes to them both!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

ThatÂ’s unfortunate. :( They were lovely to watch. But, on the positive side, Mervin can now find a nice Canadian girl to skate with. :cheer: Let the partner speculating begin!

5. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

This also could have interesting (perhaps even detrimental) implications for Japan in the team event at Sochi... if Takahashi doesn't have a partner in a timely manner. :(

6. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

I posted a quick translation of a similar, albeit slightly differently worded newsbit here:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?78856-Japanese-skater-skating-news-amp-updates/page27

I went through it quickly but my understanding is that they imply that it was Japan's first medal in a major competiton (worlds + olympics)

I let someone completely fluent correct me if I'm wrong though ;)

The reason why they declined giving him the citizenship is because he had no record of living in Japan (if I remember correctly, you need to have lived at least 5 years there to even enter into consideration for citizenship). So that means she could skate with a foreigner....as long as they've lived in Japan for 5+ years and they are ready to renounce their original citizenship (you cannot have dual citizenship as Japanese from the moment you're an adult - although I think children can until 18 or 20.....)

7. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

No detriment there since there was so little realistic chance of Tran getting the Japanese citizenship needed in time to be eligible for Sochi in the first place.

8. quartz

quartz the moment is a masterpiece

NOOOOOOOOO!!! This is not a good day.....confirmation of Kaitlyn's injury(I had been hoping it was just a rumor or that it my turn out to be a sprain rather than a broken bone), and now this news??? I loved these two:(:(:(

9. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Ah -- good correction. I've had it stuck in my brain since their Worlds medal that there'd be someway for Tran to get citizenship and thus they'd be there at the Olympics regardless.

10. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I'm not the least bit surprised as those who understand Japanese citizenship have repeatedly said it would be virtually impossible for him to get citizenship. I am a bit surprised that it was her idea. The odds of her finding a quality male pair skater in Japan are much less than him finding a Canadian woman, albeit he is on the short side. He's an excellent skater and I'm certain there is a partner out there for him.

11. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

It could be possible JSF already has someone in mind for her, hopefully.

12. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Is Julianne Seguin still looking to skate pairs or since she's doing well in singles has given that up? She could be a possibility for Tran.

Hopefully they'll be someone new for both Takahashi & Tran to skate with in the coming months.

13. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

They may have someone, but I sincerely doubt they are the quality of skater as Mervin Tran. Pairs skating isn't all that popular in Japan. Moreover, she's the weaker partner in the pairing anyway. The odds of any new partner and Takahashi making the top 10 at Worlds or the Olympics are very small. He would have much better odds in Canada, even with the quality of pairs skating in Canada at present. And by that I mean, Canada has some very good pairs teams going into Worlds and the Olympics.

14. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Tran is such a strong pair skater. He will attract a lot of interest...even from American skaters. What's the status of Andrea Poapst for example?

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Andrea Poapst has Canadian citizenship. I believe she is still looking for a partner.

Mervin Tran tweeted today:
    Photo he tweeted: https://twitter.com/skate_moivo/status/281016917077135361/photo/1

16. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Aren't Mervin Tran and Rockne Brubaker about the same height -- the ball park of 5'9" or 1.75 M?

(I haven't seen them side-by-side, and the reliability of the ISU bios / etc. is always questionable for heights).

If so, Mervin's selection may somewhat be limited by his height.

17. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

No question about that - she won't find anyone on the same level as Mervin. Unfortunately I think JSF wants to have at least some team at Olympics as opposed to none at all to have a chance to even enter the team competition. Even if the pair will be weak, their singles are strong. I don't think they care about the results in pairs discipline.

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Yes and yes. It's easy to assume Mervin is taller than Rockne because Narumi is so tiny.

19. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

If the federation said "nationality problem is that it is not the only reason" I wonder what their other reasoning is?

20. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

Is Katherine Bobak still skating?

21. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed It's like April Fools Day with these awful announcements. I LOVED Taka/Tran and hoped for great achievements for them in the next several years (Sochi ain't everything!!), so I am really sorry to hear this. Are there really any Japanese male pair skaters would could partner her (let alone achieve the TES minimums for competing in international competitions)??

22. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

That's a shame. I thought they had a bright future.

23. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

obviously, one can only speculate the reasons for the split, but it looks as though Sochi 2014 (and perhaps even Olympics 2018 - btw, I don't know where this is gonna be held! Korea?) was an important factor. The lure of the Olympics .... is just too strong, and understandably so (it's every athlete's dream to make it there)

at least, their last competition was a "bang" ... what joy and what accomplishment for them. wherever this takes them they will always be World bronze medallists.

24. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

there goes another Japanese Pairs talent down the drain :(

25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I bet this wouldn't have happened without that team event. Oh well, if things don't work out post-Sochi, maybe we will see them back together one day. Stranger things have happened.

26. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

This is definitely sad but not really surprising imo.

27. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

darn :( I really liked that team, was hoping they'd stick together even if they were not Oly-eligible. Best of luck to them finding partners. Sigh.

28. Carina

Carina Member

:( This a sad day !!! I really enjoyed their skating.

29. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Awwww... so sad to read that another quality pair splits up. The state of pairs skating world-wide has taken another blow with this announcement. I hope they are able to find suitable partners. I'll miss seeing them.

30. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Ditto :(