Takahashi delaying surgery

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by jlai, May 15, 2010.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

So now the bolt is not coming out until after Tokyo?

3. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea Well-Known Member

This is an article in “Mainichi Shimbun” in Japan.
    Translation into English.
    Takahashi puts off the surgical operation for removing the bolt of the knee.
    May 10th, 2010 JST

In May 10th, Daisuke Takahashi (Kansai Graduate School) who is the bronze medalist of Vancouver Olympics expressed his intention that he puts off the surgical operation for removing the bolt which was buried in his right knee which he had damaged the ligament and meniscus in two years before, till after the Worlds of next March, where he aims at the championship for two years running. At first, he was going to remove it in this off-season.

Daisuke Takahashi who won the championship in Men for the first time as Japanese in the Worlds of March said, “I would like to do my best aiming at the championship for two years running in next Worlds which is hosted in Tokyo”.

The article:
    Takahashi puts off the surgical operation for removing the bolt of the knee.
    http://mainichi.jp/enta/sports/general/news/20100511k0000m050068000c.html

Last edited: May 15, 2010
    BittyBug, Anemone, jamesy and 5 others like this.
  4. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

thank you so much Akira Andrea!! can't wait to see Daisuke next season**

5. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Volt? I would think that they are talking about a pin. Would somone please confirm? Thanks

6. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

It's a typo: Bolt not Volt. A bolt is another word for screw, used to secure a plate into a bone.

7. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea Well-Known Member

Thank you for pointing the error out. I had translated it mistaking "volt" for "bolt". I had corrected the said word in article at once.
    In Japanese pronunciation, we commonly does not distinguish the difference not only between "l" and "r", but also between "v" and "b". Therefore we are apt to misinterpret a spelling of these in English translation if we are off guard.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
    Jason and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Bolt in the knee? Ugh, sounds painful! Anyways, I hope it all works out for him. Would be cool if he successfully defends his title next year.

9. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

Thank you Akira Andrea for bringing the news here and for your many translations of articles in Japanese. Arigato.

10. REO

REO New Member

Poor Daisuke. Imagine where he'd be without his injury. He'd be unstoppable. I love his skating.

11. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

REO - I was glad to see Daisuke finally put it all together at a major championship. Even though he is not back to the level he used be with all his jumps he had the potential on paper to win everything before he was injured and just couldn't keep it all together. Bad as his injury was/is, I think it has had a very positive effect on his mindset, which is actually allowing him to skate closer to his potential when it counts.

I say this as a frustrated fan who has long felt he had both all sides of the equation covered - jumps, artistry, CoP friendly transitions, etc., but just never put the right stuff together, even managing to lose at times because he used up his energy on illegal jumps (like too many combos or too many repetitions of certain jumps, etc.) Now he seems more relaxed about the whole thing - so in some ways the injury may have been a tiny bit of a blessing.

12. Kelleys6th

Kelleys6th Active Member

:cheer2: Yea! :cheer2:
    Besides Joannie Rochette being the story of the Vancouver Olympics, Daisuke should be the second story. To have come back after a "career ending" injury to win the bronze was amazing! :kickass: I can't wait to see him in Tokyo!

:cat: