SYTYCDC Season 4

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DustPuppyOI, Jul 6, 2011.

1. DustPuppyOI

DustPuppyOI Well-Known Member

I didn't see a thread so I figured I'd start one.

We have top 22 like last year (Source: http://thestar.blogs.com/realityche...canada-spoiler-alert-who-needs-a-top-20-.html)

Shelaina Anderson, 20, a contemporary dancer from Edmonton
    Joey Arrigo, 19, a contemporary dancer from Newmarket
    Rodrigo Basurto, 26, a hip-hop dancer from Toronto
    Carlena Britch, 20, a hip/locking dancer from Vancouver
    Geisha Chin, 19, a contemporary dancer from Toronto
    Jordan Clark, 19, a contemporary dancer from Tottenham
    JP Dubé, 19, a hip-hop dancer from Montreal
    Cassandra Flammini, 18, a jazz dancer from Toronto
    Dwayne “Boneless” Gulston, 23, a hip-hop/popping dancer from Toronto
    Kevin Howe, 22, a contemporary dancer from Ottawa
    Dentisa Ikonomova, 24, a ballroom dancer from Lava
    Moses Layco, 26, a contemporary dancer from Winnipeg
    Lindsay Leuschner, 19, a contemporary dancer from Stouffville
    Adam LoPapa, 19, a jazz dancer from Woodbridge
    Lauren Lyn, 24, a salsa dancer from Toronto
    Matt Marr, 20, a contemporary from Quispamsis
    Christian Millette, 28, a ballroom dancer from Montreal
    Melisssa Mitro, 23, a contemporary dancer from Richmond Hill
    Francois Pruneau, 26, a ballroom dancer from Trois-Rivières
    Shane Simpson, 23, a jazz dancer from Thornhill
    Teya Wild, 23, a hip-hop dancer from North Vancouver
    Yuliya Zavadska, 29, a Latin dancer from Toronto

I remember Boneless, Rodrigo and Shelaina from previous seasons. I was hoping that Vicky Luo and Jenny Dailey would have finally made it through, but no luck.

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

you guys get a top 22??? And multiple ballroom dancers?!?! no fair!!! [/USSYTYCDCastingRant]

:p enjoy the season :)

3. JumpinBug

JumpinBug New Member

Carlena is now on the list for first to go, wonder what poor guy will get dragged down with her.

4. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

A wide range of ages. Lucky! And I thought Cassie was older. No wonder why her parents are super high strung when she's in La with her boyfriend!

Interesting Joey Arrigo was Jump's senior male VIP 2010 and Melanie Moore was Jump's senior female VIP 2010 :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  5. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

I'm so excited! I actually went to high school with one of the contestants, so I'll be rooting for him especially, but honestly, I loved most of the people they let in.:D

6. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

The Canadian version is a much better show than the US one. The judges are really annoying, but there's so much more variety.

7. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

What was that about Carlena? I only started watching this week. Did I miss something? Did they ever say what her bad attitude was about? Maybe I missed something from the group rounds.

Shelaina might have an initial advantage given her coverage last year. It's funny that she should come to this given her Carlena-like initial season. I had no idea she was so young still!

I really really hate the fake-outs. The judges do them every time, so the poor rejected dancers keep hoping they've gotten a fake-out.

8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The dancers, especially the women, seem much less interchangeable than on the US show, and the contemporary dancers don't seem to be out of the same jello mold, either. The dancers in the finals, who were given a ballroom challenge, were really impressive in it.

They have much less of a problem with choosing women who seem really young; I think on the US show they would have told a few that Canada picked to come back in a few years. There was an 18- or 19-year old I thought was 15 or 16.

This is the first time for me seeing this show; I'm not sure whom they picked in the past, but we are lucky to get the ballroom people, and they all showed up very well in solos. Two of the judges were Jean-Marc Généreux, and as one of two permanent judges, he's the loudest, which is saying a lot, because Mary Murphy has been guest judging. Ballroom is well represented among the judges.

9. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I think I will be enjoying this season ... at least to begin with. Going to be interesting to see if miss "I had a time out for bad behavior" Carlena. I missed out when they showed her competing in the group dance and only got a bit of the judges yipping at her for her attitude. I almost wonder if ??? (Jamie Ray's sister whose name escapes me at this time), got a pass again this year because she kind of stuck up for Carlena (at least I think that's what I saw ... or am I wrong yet again :( )

10. DustPuppyOI

DustPuppyOI Well-Known Member

11. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

That was a really hot, sassy, fun, intense, technically sound (for most part) debut performance show from the Cdn dancer's. The potentential is quite astonishing this season given the high level they all achieved on the first round and the pair match ups were really strong...Yes sir Canada can dance, and at same time show off mad variety of dance styles and skills, and I am over the moon happy with all the ballroom types that will be burning up the floor! Loved most of the choreo too, and none of the routines sucked, though I felt some worked better than others and I enjoyed seeing some new faces in the choreo ranks.

It is going to be very very tough to say who will be in bottom 3 and worse who will be going home as no one sucked. I feel that the small town or the more isolated regional dancers or the dancer's who have school ties and thus a huge voting pool to call upon, sometimes have the edge over the big city, and older dancers simply because small towns and the maritime and prairie regions or one's with school ties all tend to rally together and they get organized to vote en masse for the hometown dancer, even if they don't always watch the actual show. Then of course the cuteness, or hotness, or swagger of the male partner will always be a factor with the tween girl powervoting set. Average not in technique fan of show votes based on personal emotional connection to the routine, the music and the couple dancing it, so performance level and current mass youth appeal sometimes trumps better executed steps, and more subtle or introspective or ballroomy dancing...Just saying I will not be shocked if the thumbs up reactions from the judges wind up being the bottom vote getter's, while the subtle digs about lack of technique, or personality flaws actually wind up at the top of the heap. But one never knows, as IMO Canada usually strikes the right balance considering who made top 10 each season. Hmmn, must be cause Canada has watched loads of figure skating and thanks to Canadian TV content laws plenty of CBC dance galas, over the years, (before digital 100 channel access reached the great white north) to help us separate dance wheat from dance chaff, LOL!

I think I am going to love watching season 4! Praying that ballroom types get some votes at long last. If folks want less style variety they can tune in to the Yank version that seems to be hip hop crazy and contemporary, broadway heavy, the USA dancer's perhaps more professionally specialized, or more street, so less well rounded in terms of partnering or the ballroom styles. The USA seems to be censor conscious, lots of politically correct couples and cause oriented statement routines, so generally USA routines are G rated, although occassionally one gets treated to a Dan and Lacey combo to heat things up, but where ballroom champs are normally the ones being thrown under the choreo or costume bus and thus voted off 1st... Go SYTYCD Canada where diversity rules!

12. JumpinBug

JumpinBug New Member

I spent much time voting last night for the ballroom dancers... wanted to make sure they'd make it past the first week! Also threw some votes at the last pair, really lovely Afro-Jazz.

13. TygerLily

What a sad elimination. It was definitely worse for the poor girl.

I didn't bother voting last night because I liked everyone. Last year I had four or five favourite couples after the first night, but this time I just liked everything. Um, except "new disco" but that was a choreography/last-minute-phone-call/I'm-not-a-lady-gaga-fan/injury issue more than a dancer issue.

14. JumpinBug

JumpinBug New Member

Leopard print knickers will do you in every time.

Seriously, this dancing in underwear thing needs to end, now.

15. Era

Era New Member

TG the Canadian season is on. It has so much more variety in types of dancers and the routines than the US show. The US version has become such a yawn fest. What little ballroom they have is basically contemporary with a slice of ballroom on the side. Ditto with their hiphop.

Now if only we could get rid of Leah on the Canadian version. (If the US version gets cancelled can we please, please have Cat?)

I don't really dislike anyone this year so far so voting is going to be tough. The two eliminations tonight were fine though I am glad they are giving Adam another shot next year. He didn't have the time to prep for being top 22, plus he got stuck with new disco and an injury.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  16. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Yes, I too was happy with their decision to bring Adam back to the finals. It was the finals, not top 22, correct?

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

18. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I'm getting a chance to watch SYTYCDC for the first time this season. I hate that CTV is running both series at the same time. My husband can only tolerate so much reality TV.

It has started out well with Luther's hip-hop choreo.

Blake's choreo for the ballroom dancer Christian and his partner Lindsay was really good.

I like how this show has the choreographer on stage, also acknowledging comments.

I'm remembering now how annoying I find Leah. Emmy voters need to watch her to understand how good Cat really is. However, Trey's style and judging balances it out, because I wish they had her judging the American version.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  19. TygerLily

I agree--it really is too much! At least the results shows are shorter.

I wish CTV would put the entire episodes online. I might have to start watching the US version on delay just to balance out the week.

I'm not a huge hip-hop fan, but I really enjoyed that one! The spoilers indicated that this was a mediocre routine, but yay! It wasn't!

Lindsay and Christian were really quite lovely in the Blake contemporary. It was a wee bit embarrassing their chemistry was so strong! So different from what the US girls are doing (aiming the chemistry at the audience instead of each other). I loved her toe point!

ETA

Danitza and JP - Jive choreographed by Danny
    - Adorable! She was amazing and I wasn't expecting JP to fake it so well!

Rex: Abut JP "You're cute as a basket of kittens but sometimes you need to tone it down a bit."

20. rjblue

Ooh- Bollywood opening number tomorrow night.

Danny! back to choreograph a jive. This couple are so young and cute. Canadian casting has more variety. She was great in her genre, and the kid did well with the flicks, and has oodles of charisma.

I love Dancehall. Boneless and Carlina were really hot. I like the physical look of the three pairs I've seen so far. Their lines match very well. Good for the producers.

Well, for once one of my kids actually called at the right time. With only half an eye I could tell that I really didn't want to have my full attention on that plodding waltz.

21. TygerLily

I think you meant genre variety, but I thought it was funny that just after you posted that the show had the clip emphasizing the variety in contestant backgrounds (with the obligatory Canadian pat on the back re: diversity -- The diversity's cool, but to claim that only Canada has that amount of diversity? Gee, do you think there's a similar amount of diversity in other countries most notably the US? :rolleyes: ).

Carlena and Boneless
    Dance Hall by Jaeblaze

I have no idea what Dance Hall should be like since I only get to see it once a year, but that was fun!

I love Boneless!

---

Kevin and Teya
    Viennese Waltz - Both out of their genre!
    Poor Teya needs to get hip-hop next week.
    Not bad, but not great? There would moments of hesitation.

I can't tell most of the guys apart yet. :shuffle:

---

Geisha and Francois - Hip-hop - Tucker - escape from insane asylum!
    Both out of genre? (Geisha's contemporary, non?)
    Loved it, but I secretly wish they and Kevin & Teya got the opposite routines.

--

Yuliya and Adam - Brazilian Samba - Gustavo
    Holy cow! Yulia sleeps in the splits! :eek:
    Hot and fast! But I have no clue if they got the booty and hips right. :)

rjblue and (deleted member) like this.
  22. rjblue

I love that song (Dungeon Dragons?). That was a fun number. I didn't think he (Francois) hit it nearly as hard as Geisha did.

About diversity- I don't know if any other nation embraces the concept of a multicultural society the way Canada does. People are encouraged to maintain and share the culture that they or their ancestors brought to Canada, and not to have it go in a melting pot. But yeah, I thought it was funny too, that they ran that bit right after I posted about the genre variety.

TygerLily and (deleted member) like this.
  23. rjblue

Good Lord. I need a cigarette after watching that Samba. Adam is nice eye candy.

Okay. A racially mixed couple doing a contemporary about friendship and AIDS. I'm back on the USA version.
    eta-Not that there is anything wrong with that- lovely dance.

24. TygerLily

Agreed! And I don't even smoke. ;)

Also, point taken on the diversity. :shuffle:

Melissa and Shane
    A "Very Emotional Contemporary" by Sabrina Matthews
    - A guy telling a friend he has HIV
    Ooh, Melissa was a highland dancer!
    I love these two. Two great weeks in a row. (But yeah, overkill on the "very special episode" dance theme.)

Shelaina & Matt - Hustle - Maria Torres
    Errrr...Hm. Felt slow and laboured.

Joey and Jordan
    Jazz with Sean Cheeseman
    First date in a movie theatre
    Hammy, but fun. I love these two.

25. rjblue

I didn't hate that Disco. It must have been pretty good. He was stiff though.

Sean Cheesman's Jazz was CCharming with 2 capitol C's. She was so athletic in that. What a great pairing. Jordan and Joey are the ones to watch, I guess.

26. TygerLily

Agreed! Did you get to see their routine from last week? It was one of the standouts for me then. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt9y_938a10 (not a great quality) Her acro plus his circus? Bendy awesomeness!

It was fun watching with you! I've been disappointed that more people aren't posting so I decided to go for it tonight in hopes people will join in.

Tonight I enjoyed everyone and didn't think there were any outright trainwrecks, so the elimination will be painful again. The waltz was probably the weakest, but it would be such a shame for Teya to go home before she's had a chance to do her style. Contrast her dance "draws" with Carlena's and the difference is stark. Wasn't keen on the hustle, either, but last week Shelaina and Matt were among my faves.

27. rjblue

The waltz and the hustle will probably be in the bottom. At least the judges on this show aren't set on eliminating a couple instead of individuals. I liked this episode much more than I have the last few weeks of the USA series.

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I like that they send home individuals. They paired Geisha and Francois, the two whose partners were eliminated last week. I'm so glad Francois wasn't pushed out last week with the cringe-worthy Cassandra.

This is so much more interesting than the US version. Not only is the mix great, but the contemporary women are more vivid and the choreography is better overall.

Yuliya has a :kickass: body.

I think the waltz was an outright train wreck, especially for Teya. She looked like a celebrity on Dancing with the Stars, and while not all of the dancers are great at ballroom, I haven't seen any of the other women in either the US or Canada show (this year) look as awkward as she in it.

29. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

Wow. 2nd performance show was interesting. Choreo rocked for most part and most of the dancer's were able to deliver with gusto, or at least fake it well enough, to possibly sell the routine based on hotness, cuteness factors, energy put out, or sheer force of personality, with a notable trainwreck exception; the waltz!

The waltz was cringe worthy from Teya, which was surprising, as she was able to fake her way through last week quite well, and showed some actual grace doing it. Waltz was delivered marginally better from her partner, who might have been able to fake his way through it, had he had a different more gazelle like and less gorilla stomp the yard type partner. IMO Hustle couple may also be in trouble, they were so focussed on getting the choreo done they both forgot to perform and have fun with it, but regional love may possibly save em. This week indicated to me who the judge's favs are, and thus who will likely be continually thrown under the bus, wholly dependent on fan power, or regional mercy voting to save em.

Hopefully Francois will benefit from his turn at hip hop, and not be in the bottom this week. He is just too good a dancer and a versatile one at that and it would be tragic for him to go home this early on. Problem is, he is from Quebec, wiping away regional votes for most part, French Canada not likely watching CTV, or voting, plus he is not likely to draw the tweengirl fan crush votes, unlike this season's the 2 other much cuter Quebec boys, so he will have to hope to connect with ballroom fans across the country in a big way if he is to survive and make it to top 10. Loved that they brought in Dan to choreo the jive, he was the perfect choice to give JP just enough flash and confidence to fake his way through it esp with the help of his energetic also cute as kitten gal ballroom partner.

This year it is going to be a battle royal and not simply a coronation for the title, and overall versatility and stamina is going to tell the tale, and time may be right for another girl to win, though talented boys won't make it easy...

Blake and Sean are outstanding this season, and some of the newer choreo's being used are also like wow, some of the hip hop routines actually being kinda entertaining for me and not something to be suffered through...

My one observation is that Jordan may need to be careful not to overdo the face, or let her jaw droppin athleticism and bendy body overpower her musicality, her lines and her graceful danceyness.

Loving the season so far, and enjoying it far more than the USA version this time.

30. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Sorry to say that the Waltz and Hustle were the bottom routines for me too. Teya's posture just wasn't up to snuff to start with. I did like Teya last week though - thought she did a great job. As for the Hustle they were right that the enjoyment of the performance was missing. I kept waiting for the number to get going and it never did. (Hate to say it but I didn't enjoy this team last week either.) I was a little bit worried about the Samba too. I found it hard to see what Adam was doing that baggy white outfit, At times he looked more like a milkshake than a dancer. Fortunately with his partner in that outfit not too many were probably paying a lot of attention to him. Also JP's jive was so so. But really aside from the Waltz and Hustle I enjoyed all the performances.

For the most part the pairings seem to be really good in that they are pretty bang on in synchronization. The lack of timing between the dancers was what struck me most with some of the US dancers last week. I can see that happening a bit in practice without music but it's not like there was no beat to follow.