SYTYCD US is back

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, May 14, 2013.

1. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I can't put a figure on who Nico is. Would you mind helping me ? :(

2. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

3. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Watched the intro to the top 20 yesterday. I'm not too good w/ names yet so bear with me :)

The tappers: I love all three and their routine was my 2nd fav of the night. Really cool choreography with the boards in the middle. I like the girl a lot. She was one of my favs from the auditions. The tall (sexy) guy who got the call after the other guy withdrew is really good. He draws your eye and has a ton of stage presence...I like looking at him ;) I love the personality of the other guy too. Is this the first time they've had 3 tappers?

Contemporary dancers (1st group): I like the one whose feet they were going on and on about. I like Cyrus' ex-girlfriend too but she's going to have to tighten up her movements. She's a little loose which makes her look a little sloppy sometimes. She has really long arms and legs (which are great for dancing) but she needs to control them better and be a little more sharp and precise with her movements...she has lovely leg lines though. None of the boys really stood out for me in that first group dance...

Contemporary (?) Mia Michaels routine: I really liked the routine a lot. It told a story that I got right away. I thought all three dancers were good in it as well. None are standing out as favs at this point but I thought the choreography was pretty awesome.

Contemporary duo: Jasmine (curly hair) has a magnetic stage presence. Like Nigel said, I couldn't take my eyes off of her during that dance...she really pulled me in. I think she executed Sonya's choreography better than the other girl...she was more into it. Both were really good though and I liked that routine.

Hip hoppers: I like the guy's personality but I can already tell (judging from his performances) that he is really going to struggle with the other styles. The girl is really good though. It's rare to have successful hip hop girl on the show (I think Comfort was the only one) but I think this girl has what it takes to adjust and adapt to the other styles.

Animators: Blueprint and Jade. I remember their names!. Honestly, I think Blueprint is the better animator overall but both of them are excellent. I really enjoyed their routine as well; it almost freaked me out a bit when the mannequins moved at the end! Jade might hit a snag in the competition when it comes to pairing b/c he's so little. He's going to have to work really hard. I'm not sure how well Blueprint will do with other styles but what will matter is how much of his heart he puts into it. Cyrus wasn't great at other styles either but his personality and his heart (as well as his unbelievable awesomeness in his own style) are what really grabbed people and carried him to the finale. (Did anyone else see him in the rehearsal room for the boys' group dance? It looked like he was assisting Chris Scott. I love Cyrus! :))

Ballroom dancers: No one stood out. I was sitting here trying to figure out which 4 dancers I hadn't commented on and had to check online to see who I missed. I'd forgotten about them completely...oops.

Girls group: Nothing in life will top Sonya's "Pop, Drop & Roll" top 10 girls performance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEyCe65zZjk) so I'm always a little let down...but this one was nice (have a "kiki" lol). I enjoyed it. The person who stood out the most was Cyrus' ex: she's tall which means she immediately stands out...but she also stood out b/c she wasn't as clean with her movements as some of the others. Like I said, she needs to work on her precision and control more. Overall it was a nice performance.

Boys group: Christopher Scott blew me away with this one! I LOVED this routine! The whole concept behind it was brilliant but then to use the sand as a prop (and so effectively) was just awesome! I watched it like 5 or 6 times last night. Awesome musicality throughout and I love how he incorporated everyone's style. The two stand outs for me were the tall (sexy) tapper guy and the contemporary guy in the front. You could tell tapper guy was feeling the choreography and, again, his stage presence is really good. The contemporary guy stood out for me too: great lines, right in time with the music...excellent. By far this was my absolute favorite routine of the night.

Top 20 dance: I really liked the beginning but it was hard for me to really judge everything b/c they kept switching the camera angle. For big groups like that you really need a wide shot to see everything and they kept zooming in. It was an interesting routine (from what I could see).

My favs right now are tall (sexy) tapper guy, tapper girl, curly Jasmine, Blueprint, hip hop girl and contemporary guy in the front of the guys' group dance. Hopefully I'll get better with names soon! :lol:

4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Anyone else watching tonight? I missed the first jive, but I enjoyed the blindfolded Travis Wall piece.

5. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I really liked the group/opening number. Lots of fun. The jive was okay- not bad for two dancers out of their genre doing their first performance, but it lacked sharpness. Liked the Travis Wall piece.

6. shan

shan Well-Known Member

More Travis Wall. I don't have any favorites going into this. I like them all equally so far. :)

7. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Here is my autosaved post from an hour ago:

I lurved the opening number. It was funny, charming, different, and it gave us lots of close looks at the dancers.

Thunderstorms here, interfering with my signal, so I can't post reliably. Plus \I have a new laptop and wi is running windows 8 and [i keep kitting the wrong keys ad having to baxkspace backspace backapse. So....I'm not going to so the pbp I was planning.

Hated the jive. She was stompy. It wasn't boring though, so I doubt we'll lose them.

I liked the blindfold contemporary with hot Russian and Jasmine's lovely feet. That catch move on their knees was neat.

Jazz was okay, but all about Malece. Her dress was the best part.

Edited in some white space after fighting my computer for 5 minutes. And now I can comment on what I can remember from the rest of the show:

Afro Jazz and Viennese are always favourites for me and they didn't disappoint once again.

I didn't like the Tyce or the 2nd hiphop at all.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  8. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

Best opening number in the history of the show I think. I loved it!

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  9. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Liked the Sonya Tayeh piece, and really like Jasmine and partner. The waltz was cute. I'm really liking the dancers this season- no great faves so far- the overall quality is pretty good!

10. uyeahu

I'm really hoping Alan can poach a few Nico fans with tonights performance. He's just so adorable and he danced really well. I've only watched the first few dances so far as I'm catching up on DVR. Didn't love the first number, but will be rewatching the second as soon as I finish watching the entire episode.

How do we do spoilers in this thread? I'm trying not to be too specific with partnerships and choreographers.

11. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I love how they incorporated the judges. :)

12. rjblue

Sonya did a perfect ending number for them. (my enter key will not let me put in white space!) The producers did a great job with the pairings. How weird is it that the two hip-hop guys were some of the best of the night.

13. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Okay, the final Sonya piece is definitely the best of the night. Love Amy.

Like Wayne Brady as a judge-very entertaining, although he's not the most knowledgeable guest judge they've ever had.

14. uyeahu

They really aren't holding back on variety of dance styles tonight. Jive, Broadway, Afro-Jazz...and I'm only half way through the show. Blueprint is really a much better mover and dancer outside of his genre than Cyrus was. He really impressed me tonight.

PS - I love how much they are incorporating the judges and choreographers into the program tonight as DANCERS. Adam and Nigel Prancercizing was priceless.

15. uyeahu

Aaron is so charismatic and has so much presence it's hard to believe he nearly wasn't on the show. He's going to be one of my sentimental favorites this season. I've loved all the partnerships so far and have only been disappointed in a couple of the performances. I can't believe more people don't watch this show!!! Pure joy and entertainment.

16. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I am never going to remember their names. Too many Js.

I thought the opening number was wonderful.

The first couple were clunky.

I really liked the "blind" dance. One of the top dances of the night.

I thought the Hollywood glam dance was okay, but not as sensual as they made it seem.

The Broadway number was just okay. I didn't like Tucker's back.

The Afrojazz was actually pretty good, especially considering their dance backgrounds. His blue hair looks like horns from certain angles and is a bit distracting.

I thought the hip hop was just okay. Part of the problem was them, but part of the problem seemed to be the choreography. Nigel was pretty hard on them, but not mean enough to provoke backlash votes.

The Aaron and Jasmine dance was one of my favorites, but for some reason I found his pants really distracting.

I thought the waltz was nice, but I think it could have been a little lighter and prettier.

Hayley and Curtis and hip hop -- I disagreed with the judges. I didn't think they really had the swag or that she was a big vixen, and I didn't think the style worked for them either. These aren't the people Alexis and Nico should be taking lessons from.

Amy and Fikshun -- Wow. That was a great surprise from Fikshun.

17. uyeahu

Judging by the young girls of Tumblr, Travis Wall is winning Choreographer of the night by a nose over Sonya but it's a very close race. I hope that is reflected in the voting as I love all 4 of those dancers. It's really tough to predict who might be in the bottom tomorrow.

18. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

No more results show. Bottom three next week. I think Mariah and Carlos. First couple up often gets forgotten and that jive was not great. Entertaining, but frenetic. As great as they are, I think Jenna and Tucker might be in the bottom. Another heinous Tyce D Broadway routine. Maybe Malice and Jade. He was great, but she's still a total snooze. Given that votes are for individuals and not couples, that could all be different.

When are the producers (Nigel) going to stop letting Tyce choreograph Broadway. He's inept.

uyeahu and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Nigel confuses being on Broadway with the ability to choreograph for it.

20. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I think Tyce must have some sort of dirt on Nigel. Either that, or the real Broadway choreographers (other than Spencer Liff) won't speak to Nigel.

Didn't like either hip hop piece last night; Christopher Scott is great with group numbers but in general his duets are lousy.
    I wish we'd get more than one African jazz piece a season, but that doesn't usually happen.
    The Maleeeece/Jade "Hollywood" piece did nothing for me, and neither of them impressed me either.
    The show could save a lot of money on lighting if they could somehow harness the power of Fikshun's smile.

I was glad to hear some real critiques from Mary, in particular. She has a lot of knowledge and often refuses to let it show.

21. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Just saw the show. I hate to think of getting rid of any of these kids...they all seem so sweet! I guess I'd get rid of Mariah and Jade. Carlos is really a good dancer-I'd hate to see him go first. And although Nico and Alexis had a bad time, they're also too good to get pushed off so quickly. I love so many of them, but I admit Sonya had the best dances tonight for me, especially the last one. I also agree that Aaron's pants distracted me-he's so big, he didn't need any more visual size, fabric or not. LOVED the Travis blind dance. My husband is totally in love with both Jasmines, and I can't say I blame him. Malice and Jade were weak. Jenna had a Vivien Leigh thing going on-maybe it was the hair. I actually liked the Tyce piece. I like Tucker. He was in character from the first step. What a cute geek!

22. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I missed the show last night, haven't yet read comments. Am watching on Hulu, so it's just clips out of order. Have only seen FikShun and Amy so far, and all I can say is WOW! Gorgeous dance and FikShun was fantastic...often hip hop dancers on this show are surprisingly strong in partner work (lifts), since they have really strong upper bodies, but FikShun's transitions were :swoon: Love the pairing. Please let the rest of the top 20 be anywhere near that awesome :inavoid:

ETA: ok, I've seen most if not all, but I have no idea about choreographers and I didn't head any judges' comments. I think FikShun/Amy were the most engrossing, but lots of good stuff here!

My rankings:
    Amy/FikShun - :cheer2: :respec: !!
    Brittany/Blueprint - LOVED this!!
    Jenna/Tucker - isn't Tucker really tall? seems like he was always positioning himself to look shorter than Jenna. Was it choreography or a bad habit of his? Hopefully we'll know next week.
    Jasmine M/Alan
    Mariah/Carlos - yeah, the jive leg action was a hot mess, but it was a sweet piece and they brought the performance to it. at least their lack of proper jive was about on the same level. Mariah needs to learn to close her mouth while dancing though.
    Mackenzie/Paul - lovely dancing, kinda boring
    Malece/Jade - why put Jade in that David Byrne jacket? :wall: TPTB are trying to throw him over, I think.
    Alexis/Nico - aw, old school hip hop. Choreo was goofy and they didn't quite get the feel of it, but they tried. Bless. Alexis did a good job.
    Jasmine/Aaron - :( I wanted to like this, and them. Last week I was thinking that Aaron looks.....mature compared to everyone else there. Making him wear Blueprint's drop-crotch pants for a contemporary routine didn't do him any favors. Jasmine also did not grab me at all. They both looked like they had no idea why they were doing what they were doing on that stage.
    Hayley/Curtis - I don't think they were bad, they were just completely forgettable. The props were more interesting than they were.

not a bad first week! And I liked that Top 20 single take backstage tour group piece :cool:

23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Loved the intro Top 20 piece. I am hoping that they don't eliminate anyone next week.

My rankings:
    1. Amy/FikShun - Wow, loved this. She's my favorite girl so far, and he really surprised. A Sonya classic.
    2. Jasmine M/Alan -She is lovely, he is a good partner and he blended in well. Liked the piece.

Next group:
    Jasmine/Aaron - I thought the piece had too many side tilts and splits for her to the point of redundancy, but I like them both. She is striking, and he is a good partner and has been taking his other classes.
    Jenna/Tucker - Didn't love the routine, but I like them both, and I think she is very versatile. He is one of my favorite guys.
    Brittany/Blueprint - the piece didn't grab me, but they both did well. I think these ballroom girls are young enough that they have been watching the show for 9 years and have taken all the other classes. He really captured the style.

Next Group:
    Hayley/Curtis- I think they danced a blah piece really well. She tried to have stage presence within some dull choreography. He was good outside his style. Unless he has a following, they could be in danger - we barely know her, and the piece was Zzzzz.
    Mackenzie/Paul - I want to like them, and she has beautiful lines, but she looked very scrunchy in the shoulders, and he looked a little lost. I am not an expert, but I am not sure the footwork was as good as the judges thought. I hope to see them both in their styles.
    Malece/Jade - I was pleasantly surprised, but I don't think this piece was that challenging. Her transitions were better than in the auditions; his partnering was fine. Costumes overwhelmed them a bit. She was my candidate for first out, but I am not sure it will work out that way.

Next group:
    Alexis/Nico - Blah, I didn't like this piece. They weren't awful, but they didn't really hit it. I like them both so I don't really want to see them go.
    Mariah/Carlos - yes, they brought the performance, but this was pretty messy. Considering her style, it was a good attempt. I would hate to see them go.

Would not be surprised to see any of Alexis/Nico, Mariah/Carlos, Hayley/Curtis, or Malece/Jade in the bottom. I kind of think Malece/Jade could have a enough of a following to keep them in.

24. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I agree with pretty much all of this.

I agree Aaron's pants were distracting and he wasn't given much to do except support her endless leg split in every direction, shape and form.

I loved the dancing in the theatre piece and though the hunching was a character choice. Jenna's lines are amazing. But the piece it self was typical beige Tyce.

I though the jive was terrible and think she needs to go home for sure. As for guys, not sure. I wasn't keen on Carlos. And honestly thought Nico was the worst of the night.

But really I think they are all good and don't want to lose any of them.

I also wish the show would be more aware of how much coverage the top 20 get in the early auditions. The voting would definitely be skewed in favour of say Malece over Curly Jasmine due to the amount of air time she got. But their piece should save them. it was my second fave of the night.

I also think that the dancers should not be allowed to dance in their own style the first week. Just seems like an unfair advantage.

25. uyeahu

My rankings:

1. Jasmine & Alan - It's almost a dead heat between 1st and 2nd, but I just sentimentally like this team more. They are both too cute.
    2. Amy & FikShun - Amy is probably my favorite dancer among the girls and I don't foresee a scenario where she doesn't make top 3.

3. Jasmine & Aaron - I didn't love this piece but I really love Aaron's personality and exuberance. I wish Jasmine danced a little cleaner and stuck her positions more. She has amazing long lines, but there's too much flinging of limbs going on.
    4. Mackenzie & Paul- beautiful dancers but I'm not sure they work as a pair. She needs a more sympathetic partner because young girls are predisposed to not like her (too pretty, too tall, not quirky). He has a perma-smile that comes across as inauthentic and plastic. He would do better with someone bubbly cute like Brittany and she'd be better off with Blueprint.
    5. Hayley & Curtis - They struggled with the props initially, but I thought they moved really well once allowed to step away from them and just dance.
    6. Jenna & Tucker - Team Tuna all the way. I love them as a pair, and thought they danced a really poorly choreographed piece as well as they possibly could.
    7. Brittany & Blueprint - Blueprint really surprised me with how well he moved but at the end of the day it's not a dance I've any desire to rewatch.

8. Malece & Jade - Meh.
    9. Alexis & Nico - Super Meh. She was better than him, but he was a goofy hot mess and not in a good Billy Boyd kinda way. I know he's a great contemporary dancer, but he needs to get all those floppy limbs under control and be more versatile.
    10. Mariah & Carlos - hot mess from both of them. I'd like to see them go first because I feel like we've already seen their best in the auditions and it's only downhill from here.

26. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

That was a great opening number. Very cool...I wonder if all of that was done in real-time? It sure looked like it. I love how they had all of the judges and choreographers sprinkled throughout. LMAO at Nigel trying to do animation!! :lol:

As for the routines:

Jasmine & Alan / Amy & FikShun: Definitely the front-runners right now. The "blind" dance was gorgeous! I knew Amy was going to be amazing in that piece but FikShun blew me away! After seeing him in the boys Top 10 routine last week I was really worried about him but he shocked me. That was wonderful!

Brittany & Bluprint: Both of them were completely out of their element but they handled that dance very well. BluPrint is another one I was worried about but he was great. I think Cyrus is a better animator than him but BluPrint seems to be adapting to the styles much better than Cyrus. Brittany was great too...that break-your-neck roll at the beginning looked really cool!

Jasmine H. & Aaron: This routine was okay but I was mesmerized by Jasmine's leg lines more than the dance itself. Sonya went a bent overboard with all of the lifts and extensions...understandable. Jasmine is so tall and those legs go on for miles but I would have liked to see a bit more dancing. Alex is so hot to me (I wonder if he's single?) but I really love his stage presence. I think he's probably a sentimental favorite for a lot of people and I hope he makes it to the top 10.

Those are my top 4 couples. Everyone else...

Jenna & Tucker: I don't know anything about Broadway style so I can't really comment on Tyce's choreography as it relates to the style. I thought the pair of them were cute and the number was entertaining.

Hayley & Curtis: A better hip hop routine than the first one but not that much better. I didn't like all of the props. They did do a better job of hitting the choreography but it wasn't great.

Mackenzie & Paul: Lovely dance. I think she looked amazing and he did a great job too. Waltzes don't usually stand out much even though they did well...hopefully people will vote. She's so pretty!

Alexis & Nico: Two of my favs but that was some pretty weak hip hop. I could tell they were trying but it just wasn't good enough for that style. They are fan favorites which means they should be safe next week but they need to do better.

Malece & Jade: I like Jade and I thought he did okay in this. Something about Malece...I don't really care for her. The routine was okay but not a standout.

Mariah & Carlos: That was a very heavy and clunky jive. They did not pull that off well at all. I think they're in danger of going home.

27. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I haven't watched all of the show (and I skipped most of the judges' comments- it helps me enjoy the show more and get less annoyed) but I can say that my favorite piece of the night was Jasmine M. and Alan's contemporary. I think Jasmine M. could use more core strength and stretch but what really sold me was the chemistry between the two of them. It was amazing. And he's so cute. I'm always drawn to the quiet type and that's what he is. Probably my favorite of the guys.

I also really liked Jasmine H. and Aaron. I love him and hope he makes it far, though he's ancient by show standards (25) so I imagine he's going to have trouble with the teen vote. I absolutely love her. Yes, she could also use more core strength and stretch in her torso, but boy her presence is amazing. I was just so drawn to her in top 10 girls routine last week, as well as the group routine this week. She just has "it", IMO.

Fik-shun was great, but I confess that the theme of the piece made me go "meh". We've had so many of those now that it felt a little old to me.

28. uyeahu

I'm pretty shocked at a few of the bottom finishers but results are always weird this early in the competition. I'm hoping they don't get rid of anyone based solely on partnerships because in this case I think the two who should go are dancing with others. It's gonna be weird seeing already eliminated dancers up on stage performing and I wonder if they'll be able to maintain doing it this way throughout the season.

ETA: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Hisssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  29. rjblue

Since the afro jazz was one of my favourite pieces last week, I'm sad that a dancer from it went home. The producers/choreographers are giving us a great show tonight. If only they'd get Cat a new stylist.

30. uyeahu

When they had the two dancers step forward who I thought should stay and then told them that they were going I kinda lost it. I didn't care so much among the guys, but the choice wasn't even close among the girls. I didn't get the judges decision at all. Otherwise I've really enjoyed the show.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.