SYTYCD US is back

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, May 14, 2013.

1. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

I want to know when that video of her with Cyrus that they keep showing was shot. If they broke up when he was doing the show last year or on tour, how did they just happen to have some incredibly professional looking video?

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

It's really irresponsible. The show simply must provide medical care to those who are injured - I know they probably sign a waiver, but dancers often do not have health insurance (although a lot of these are kids who are most likely still on their parents' plans), unless they are part of a professional ballet company.

the one difference is she's got short hair. He's branching out.

She seemed surprised that they made her go on about it in her initial audition, but last night she was right there - I'm guessing that they either have flat out told her to keep up that storyline, or she's figured out that's her ticket to get in the top 20. On the one hand, I don't blame her, but it's not going to get people to vote for her.

I'm trying to remember if this was part of Cyrus' audition package last year. The cynic in me thought from the very first time they showed it that they asked the two of them to make the video after the auditions.

3. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

I can't believe how quickly they got down to 33 contestants last night. Looks like a great season though :)

4. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

haven't watched it yet! Got it tivo'd, but now I have a conference call tonight for work. BOOOOO!!!!

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

You train young dancers, and I'd be interested in hearing your take on the Armen scrum.

6. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

What happened to Toshi and Nerd guy. Too bad the Exorcist got hurt in a car accident and couldn't make it.

I didn't like Malece either. Very rough around the edges. She can hit positions, but she can't control transitions at all. No power.

I think it is ridiculous to make them stay up all night two nights in a row and practice on concrete. Ridiculous. Just because you made them sign releases does not mean you should do that to young people. Someone could get seriously hurt. I hope it is just fake editing, but the thought makes me mad.

This links has the names of the top 33:

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/sytycd-10-vegas-week-discussion-and-live-blog.htm

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

oh no! I missed the 1st half hour of the show. I hope he's ok :(

8. pixie cut

Nerd guy got cut right off the bat. They did their solos upon arrival and some people never even got a room key. They were sent straight home. He was one of those. Toshi got cut after one of the choreography rounds. Don't remember if it was jazz or ballroom.

Exorcist guy's gf came to Las Vegas and was cut immediately, but she seemed upbeat. Hopefully, he's okay.

9. Holley Calmes

I don't train them myself, but I watch them being trained on a daily basis. Will gladly give my opinion, however, it might taken a bit. I don't get to watch on regular intervals.

10. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

He got cut right after hip hop.

11. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I'm sure. I think it might have been better if he came next year. He just seems so fragile to me and I would worry about his strength in lifts. He's lovely though and definitely should come back if he doesn't make it.

12. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I am in love with Jenna, the dark haired ballroom girl. I like Malece more then I did at the initial audition round but I can see what everyone is saying. Love Fis-shun. Wow. Think he will be really good.

Loved the group number about Boston. I would be happy about all those dancers staying but one is also named Jasmine. Not sure they would do that. And Cyrus's ex is staying.

The whole"not ready" thing was just to create drama and push those dancers. Agreed it was unsafe and stupid and totally obvious. Just like pairing that tall girl with a way shorter male dancer. I don't think she handles it particularly well. But she was right.

Does anyone know what happened to trapese girl?

13. Holley Calmes

Just watched the last ep. Not mad about anybody yet. I agree Fic-Shun is something special. He has a light in his eyes...and I think the animator with blue hair is incredible at what he does. Lots of pretty girls. Malece is blah-I just don't see it. I thought I liked her, but now she'll probably make it on the show because there's no other blonde types, and she's Nigel's "thing." Are there 2 girls named Jasmine? Cyrus' ex and another African American girl who is just knock down gorgeous! Maybe I'm mistaken.

Artem? I have several thoughts about what happened:

-No way should those dancers have been made to stay up all night working. Not with Sonya's piece or with their groups. Anybody can tell you that exhaustion leads to mistakes. I think it was irresponsible of the show to have these kids pushed beyond even extreme limits. I'm surprised there weren't more accidents and injuries. What's it for? the sake of drama in an otherwise fairly bland episode?

-Artem looked pretty careless when he dropped Malece. I'm sure it wasn't on purpose, but it looked really odd. He knows better. The evil demons of my natures are whispering in my ear that he didn't like her as a partner because he truly is an infinitely better and more sophisticated dancer, and he's used to dancing with much more developed dancers, I'm sure. I hate to think he would drop her on purpose, but his carelessness - well - definitely his fault. Something like that would be so easy and automatic for him to do properly.

-I also didn't buy his act when he said he was "changed." When he was cut, saying that the show had made a mistake (or some such awful pronouncement) sort of sealed it for me that he's a creep.

I'm just glad we still have 4 ballroom guys on board before they make the cut to 20. Surely we'll have some decent ballroom dancers this year-I hope it's the year for ballroom to win! Generally speaking, I think they're the best dancers on the show, usually. Especially when they cross-over to other styles well. I've been very frustrated lately.

Just my 2 cents.

14. pixie cut

The other Jasmine is Jasmine Mason. This is her second trip to Las Vegas. In the past, she's been shown auditioning with her older brother, Marshea. The big story before last year's audition was that Marshea had been seriously injured in a car accident six weeks prior and nearly died. Needless to say, the show played it up to the hilt.
    Here's the video: http://youtu.be/nCRlCEnxu5Y

15. Holley Calmes

Thanks Pixie Cut-she is a really beautiful girl. I remember this clip now. I wish her to do well on the show.

16. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I already want Fic-Shun to win. Great attitude, gorgeous smile, and he can dance. I can't really remember anyone else for anything except crying, drama, or falling on their heads. I quite liked the tall girl who wanted to change partners, but she's been cut already.

I think Sonya was stupid and unprofessional telling the dancers to stay up. That's not how it's done in the real world, that's complete stupidity. Careless, unprofessional and downright mean. A good teacher, coach, choreographer wouldn't deliberately put their dancers at risk of injury and real fatigue like she did. It may add drama, but it makes me not respect her.

17. pixie cut

You cannot actually believe that was Sonya's idea? That was obviously set up in advance by the producers.

18. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Agree. Sonya knows how to rehearse dancers and knows the show schedule. If she had a concern about the choreo, she would have called out a small group as needing additional time and left it up to them as to whether they did it and when.

Blame Nigel who is becoming more and more of a prick every day. Perhaps it has something to do with being fired from AI, but he's got a real nasty streak and it's showing.

19. Holley Calmes

A dancer uses his or her body as his voice, his instrument. Taking great care of that body through nutrition, cross training, and constant focus on maintenance is critical. The very idea that you could take a group of young dancers and ask them to abuse their bodies that way-by staying up for 2 nights in a row-is ludicrous. I agree it probably wasn't Sonya's idea. No doubt the staying up all night thing happens some times, in some places under deadline stress. But this was not one of those times. What are they saying to the 14 year olds watching out there? Very irresponsible.

Think of it this way: If most of the dancers "aren't getting it," maybe it's the teacher/choreographer who has the problem, not the dancers. We know Sonya is a great choreographer, so surely this was a producer driven drama filled idea, resulting in an injury. Just one? That's a miracle.

20. Angelskates

Sonya's idea or not, she said it, she did it and she is responsible for that.

21. pixie cut

She is responsible for agreeing to it, but I guess she is desperate to keep her connection to the show. She is just a cog in the wheel.

22. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Sonya's only responsible for agreeing to play along for the cameras. Sonya left right after the announcement. She wasn't there to monitor the dancers nor were her assistants.

Too bad the contestants are too scared on day 1 to make their own decisions. Every dancer I know, even young ones, are aware of when repetition is adding to the process and when it is not. Most know that they need x reps for the choreo and y for refinement. Anything more than that will either put the wrong stuff into the muscle memory bank or will lead to injury.

23. pixie cut

What happened to Kate Kapshandy, the blonde ballroom dancer who did such a great audition?

24. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

From what I can find, she didn't make top 33. One blogger was looking for her in the footage, but she wasn't shown, so we don't know when she was cut.

25. Angelskates

I agree she's just a cog, but she's not helping herself or her art form by participating in things that are dangerous for dancers.

But again, that's Sonya's job. She told them to work on it all night. She didn't say "spend some time learning, then work on fine tuning and refinement after a few hours sleep." She actively, loudly (and IMHO, harshly) told them to work all night. She didn't encourage or suggest, she pretty much demanded. The few that chose sleep in the group number were criticised, even though it likely wasn't because they slept as the reason they may not have danced 100%.

I think Sonya is a brilliant artist. I also think she should have enough sway to actually stand up for herself and her craft and tell the show to shove it if they ask her to do things that risk the safety of the dancers. Her craft and the dancers should come first, but they obviously don't for her, which is sad.

26. Holley Calmes

What bugs me about this is that you can "repeat" the steps as you have been doing them forever, but if you are doing them "wrong," you are only ingraining the wrong motion into your muscle memory. "Work hard-Word Smart." If you are working "smart," doing things correctly, you don't have to go on all night. If you "work hard" and are still not doing it right, you are doing much more harm than good. Repeating things not done correctly is damaging. So if Sonya went to bed and nobody was watching these kids up all night rehearsing, who was there to say "No-that wasn't the correct position.."??????? None of this makes any sense to me.

27. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

Well, also consider that we're seeing a heavily edited tape that only captures one thing at a time amongst many dancers and groups over a whole few nights.
    Every single year, I keep thinking that if I were in the competition, I'd set expectations with my partners and groups from the beginning. Something like, I just want you to know, I want to work together and be the best, etc., but rest and sleep are really important. I'm going to be napping at every single free moment, and definitely not staying up all night.

If the edit we're seeing is representative, I'm just surprised that nobody can effectively communicate just why sleep is important. The ones who finally have to conk out for a few hours are portrayed as self-centered brats, but if they just got everyone on the same page, it'd be much better.

I'm sure we're also just seeing the most drama-filled groups, not the ones that actually worked well together and slept.

What they did show of the group choreography was hideous, to note.

28. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I applaud the few people who apparently went to bed, if it it killed their chances.

I agree, Holley.
    His attitude left much to be desired.

29. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

whatever color kat has decided to be, i dont care for it

30. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

A sparkly carrot? I still love her, even if she seems to like looking like she has a sunburn over her spray tan.

Their hip hop number got better at the end. It certainly played more to her strengths than his.