SYTYCD US is back

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, May 14, 2013.

1. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Anthony Bryant was on that awful Carrie Bruno competition show, and he didn't make it through to the end, but I don't recall him being quite so bratty.
    He totally should have been put through to Vegas even if they eliminate him early because of his 'tude there. Plus what was the big deal about his costume?

2. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I loved the ballerina-turned-jazz dancer. Her ballet training really shines through; gorgeous feet and lines and she is gorgeous to boot. I loved the Jennifer Beals comment...that was cute.

I loved Toshi too. Very entertaining even though he barely spoke any English...

I liked the salsa dancer with her little brother. ITA chantilly; girlfriend's body is to die for!

The ballet dancer whose brother flew her out to the audition was really good too though she looks almost a little too skinny to me. Loved her leg lines though...

I liked the tap dancer girl too...very cute.

The guy they toyed with by telling him to stay for choreography and then giving him his ticket straight to Vegas was excellent too.

Overall, good auditions. I love it when they have Adam Shankman and Jessie Tyler Ferguson on the panel. They are two of my favorites.

3. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Agree with all of this.

4. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Toshi was entertaining, but I'd have sent him to choreography rather than straight to Vegas. If he can't dance with someone else he's going to get cut after the first day.

Loved the ballet and ballroom dancers. And Adam Shankman's Bruno Toniolli impression was funny.

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Ditto to your comments,, kwanatic.

6. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

I liked the salsa dancer with her little brother. I was impressed by her determination and his willingness to try something that could have made him look like a fool to give his sister a chance.
    Is this really the last season because I would really like to see little brother in the future.

7. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

ITA on Toshi. I don't know what they do when one partner completely messes up the other in Vegas, but I would have sent him to choreography too. Hopefully he will surprise.

I don't know if they have officially canceled SYTYCD, but I doubt it will last 3 more years.

8. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Is the bolded sentence about salsa dancer's little brother? (The sentences surrounding that one are about Toshi, but "partner" mention threw me.) If so, at 16, I'm pretty sure that little brother is too young to actually appear on SYTYCD. If you weren't referring to him, then nevermind ... :slinkaway

ETA: I just re-read your post, and I now believe you were wondering about Toshi -- i.e., if he couldn't cut it in Vegas and messed up in the partnering, whether it would held against his partner. I would hope that the partner would get another chance, if they seemed capable of performing at a higher level, but not sure how they handled this situation in the past (there must have been instances of this before).

If ratings improved this summer, then it might get a reprieve for another season, but I, too, don't think it would last 3 more years.

9. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Right, I was talking about Toshi.

10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Watching tonight's episode. Is this the last week of auditions?

:scream: at Nigel creeping on one of the dancer's moms.

Anyone else watching?

11. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Loved the Mongolian dancer- I hope she can do choreography.

Some good auditions tonight- liked the kid with the loud Mom (despite Nigel)- but if she were my Mom I'd be embarrassed.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  12. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I liked that kid too. Unfortunately he had the embarrassing mom, creepy Nigel and then Mary yelling at the top of her lungs for what seemed like eons. :yikes: I felt bad for him all the way around.

13. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Liked the trapese girl. A lot actually.

And loved Caleb, the quirky guy. He seems to have skills in a bunch of dance areas but not sure how much over-all. But he is a good actor and tells a good story. His personality is very appealing.

The kid with the loud Mom was good. Animation guy was OK. good at what he did but I didn't think he was as good as Cyrus nor did he have as much personality which is what Cyrus got through on last year. The girl Jasmine? that was his ex was great though.

Car accident guy was good but needs to gain some weight IMO.

But honestly this was probably the weakest audition city for me. There were people they gushed over I was just meh on. Can't remember his name but there was a guy who had great legs and feet but was really tight in his upper body and had very low leaps.

14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Lots of notable dancers tonight. The guy who was in the car accident is lovely - his feet are to die for :swoon: Cha Cha dancers were great - LOVED him, too bad he is too young for the show this year. If this really is the final season, we wuzrobbed!!

What is the deal with ALL of the family auditions now? Tonight it was clear that several of the auditioners' parents were prepped to come on stage, which made it significantly less interesting than it was the first few times. The Dance Dad was certainly dedicated, but I thought his daughter was nothing special :shuffle: I did like the lucky pigs, though, and obviously with all that prep they weren't going to NOT send her through. Nerd boy is an entertaining performer, but nothing on the level of the Kasprzak brothers. His technique was ok but really unpolished and his feet were noticeably lax.

Arial dancer was beautiful, Mary got it right when she called her performance liquid. Also loved the mongolian bowl dancer - lovely to see a new style on the show.

Cyrus' ex-gf story was excruciating. Poor girl, if she makes it to the Top 20 they'll be bringing up Cyrus every time they talk to her. She was really fantastic, though.

I feel bad the salsa girl didn't get through the choreography round...it looked before like the choreo was some form of ballroom, but during her group it looked like they were doing hip hop. Also sorry the guy in white who basically did pointe work in his sneakers found it too difficult to continue.

On to Vegas!

ETA: I take back my snarking about the family auditions. I don't think we got any famewhore joke/crazy deluded people auditions or any that were just awful. I will gladly sit through some awkward Dance Dads instead of the latest audition from Sex

15. skatesindreams

This!

16. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Cyrus' ex was the only one who really stood out for me. Plus she gets bonus point in my book for auditioning with an actual shirt on as opposed to most contemporary girls who think it's required to show their torso.

Dance Dad girl was a better performer than dancer, IMO.

17. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

They should've put him through instead. :D

18. skatesindreams

I'm sure that he's been using an extraordinary amount of energy to recover.

19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

ITA that nerd guy actually isn't that good. Very unpolished.

20. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Loved Cyrus' girlfriend. She evidently lives in the town where my ballet studio is located-wonder where she trains? But we aren't contemporary so....I thought she was not only a lovely dancer but has a gorgeous face if she would take that dumb wad of hair up out of her eyes. Fabulous cheekbones. Very elegant body and carriage.

Loved chacha girl and the accident boy. He had a very appealing face. Pretty hair too! Oh...and he danced well....

Still way way way too many blah contemporary girls rolling around on the floor who get sent to Vegas and I'm going WHAT??????

21. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Have loved this show for years but don't get the decisions they're making, especially on the male dancers. Diversity would seem to demand they would want some good-looking, sexy guys; this year seems to be all about quirky street performers or people who cry and tell sob stories.

22. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

More Bersten brothers please! Actually, I love all the remaining ballroom guys and hope we get at least 3 of them in the top 20.

23. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

they've been creeping toward the sob stories for years, and I really hate it, but on what planet are "good looking, sexy guys" on television "diverse"? :rofl: I just hope we get at least 2 of the 4 remaining ballroom guys in the top 20.

no surprise they kept both animators - but will they pull that stunt twice, i.e. are they both going to be in the top 20? I doubt it. I prefer Jade, and he did get more airtime tonight, but this does seem to be the Season of Cyrus 2.0. Lordy, Jasmine is a lovely dancer, but I don't want her in the top 20 because I'm already SICK TO DEATH of her poor liddle bwoken heart and don't want to hear it all summer long.

I really like FikShun, and I think the tall broken back guy is still there. The only women who made any impression on me at all were Jasmine and Meleeeese, neither of whom I'm crazy about. The rest just looked like dancecompbots. I did like Jennifer who looked like a blonde Jennifer Beals, but she was cut. And we lost the bowl dancer :(

Why on earth was the Lea Michele lookalike (guest judge) there?

24. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

She must've really blown the contemporary round in a big way because I don't understand the decision to cut her. She was so fantastic and so LOOKED the part. If they let the animators dance for their lives, why not her?

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The blond who was dropped on her head has very lovely legs, but doesn't express much from the center.

26. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Where to begin about the desperation to create injuries and emotional outbursts. I call bs on Sonya Tayeh. I'm sure the making them dance all night wasn't her idea -- that stupidity no doubt goes to Nigel -- but she agreed to it. It was inevitable someone would get hurt. Hope that money shot of the girl being dropped on her head made them happy. Frankly, I find the poor girl to be an utterly boring dancer, but hey she got to be star of the Vegas week show. I'm sure these kids sign releases so Fox can't get sued if they suffer career ending injuries. Everyone involved in endangering dancers to create bogus drama deserves be fired.

And please please stop making Cyrus' ex gf cry. Enough mining her sadness at a failed relationship. Someone needs to tell her she's 19 and that's part of life.

27. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I basically just started watching the episode but I'm completely unimpressed with Malece. She's cute but very immature as a dancer. Don't know what they see in her.

28. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

If she blew a round that was so close to her own training and style (ballet and jazz background) I think that's very different than an animator blowing jazz or contemporary. Maybe if she'd screwed up hip-hop it would have made sense to have her dance for her life...

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

They give them what they describe is the hardest jazz routine in auditions, and then the judges are so "surprised" the dancers don't get it in an hour and go into disapproving parent mode?

The whole concept of having an exhausted group of dancers, many of whom, if not most of whom, have very little experience in partnering, stay up all night to practice with little professional oversight and no individual coaching -- which they'd have in the show itself -- is a recipe for injury, especially when they know the group thing is coming the next night, and they'll be up all night again.

No wonder they don't allow in anyone under the age of 18.

30. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

She's young, blond, and cute. Exactly Nigel's taste. It seems like he has one every season.

The idea that it's smart for the dancers not to get any sleep is ridiculous. In addition to risking injury, there's a good argument to be made that it's counterproductive. Lots of people would not be able to learn when they're that tired and would not be able to perform well because they are so tired. It makes sense to get some sleep. It doesn't show laziness or a lack of commitment.

Count me as another one who does not like them asking that girl about Cyrus, though I'm guessing it's partly her fault. At this point, her identity with viewers is not as a good dancer, but a dumped girl feeling sorry for herself and pathetically sharing it with millions of viewers.