SYTYCD US is back

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, May 14, 2013.

1. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Robert was my favorite that year...the only year I actually endured the screaming crowds by going to the tour. (I hate loud noise and crowds...it was brutal, but my hub was photographing it for a magazine so I kind of had to go.) Robert actually came in 3rd after Lauren (whatever happened to her?) and Kent, so he must have appeal to some. Each to their own-of course. I liked him on TV and I was very impressed with him live. I think some people just look better in person. Variety is the spice of life!

2. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Too many judges for sure. I wish Sonya had done a jazz number for Amy and Aaron instead of Ray. I liked Travis's routine was beautiful, but I thought Fickshun disappeared with Jasmine.

3. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I wish if they were going to bring in two extra judges that they had brought Anna Kendrick and Christina Applegate.

4. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

paula is too long winded to be 1 of 4. i really liked christina and anna too.

Allen and (deleted member) like this.
  5. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Fikshun disappeared with Jasmine, but in kind of an ethereal way that surprised me. I thought Travis did an almost perfect job in making them match in a contemporary.

I'm a Maritimer- grew up watching step dancing, where the feet are supposed to fly, and the upper body remain stiff and motionless. That Tap number was apparently brilliant but it just feels wrong to me. I didn't like the music with the tap either. I'd probably like tap, if it was done to something like White Rabbits-Percussion Gun

6. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Ugh. I haven't liked any of the first three dances.

7. rjblue

Jasmine and Comfort. That was so fun. I didn't blink during it. Was that Jasmine's audition to be on stage with as a backup dancer?

Fikshun and Amy- Tango. meh- I kinda hated the choreo. So much posing gave them nowhere to hide their small lines, which did not suit the dance.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  8. my little pony

i love fikshun and amy's music, very ominous whatever it was
    but it reminds me of when DWTS brings out little kids to dance

9. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

So I presume Nigel wants Jasmine to win?

10. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I miss Paul and Makenzie. I keep picturing them doing that paso instead of Fikshun and Amy.

11. rjblue

Oh that was neat- hearing that Cat was the one who convinced them to cast Jasmine. She certainly was the most memorable of the women they chose.

12. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Jasmine is killing this so far. At least they made it clear she's also a hip hop,dancer.

Amy held back by FikShun. Her core is so strong she just held everything till he caught up. She does need a Sonya piece.
    Paul so should be here.

Can't they just have the 2 girls win?

Oo spoke too soon. No bounce in the samba for Jasmine and Aaron. That was a miss for both of them.

13. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Whoa. That samba technique looked very questionable. Love the dress though. ;)

14. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Yikes...that samba was bad

15. rjblue

I wouldn't have noticed the wardrobe malfunction unless they had Gaby there to point it out for me.

Yeah, that was a poorly executed dance.

16. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Amy's solo made me think of a crab or some other sea creature.

17. rjblue

I like Amy and think she is a lovely dancer, I just wish her legs were an inch or two longer.

18. my little pony

i think i have finally sorted out my problem with amy, i hate her legs. they look like mine. and i hate mine.

19. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I know we have seen a lot of comedy from Fikshun, so this was probably a good move, but I wish this hip hop had a more comedic feel as Twitch and Fikshun are both good at that.

20. my little pony

because paula is never moved to tears

21. rjblue

Robert. Ab glur wwub sh fee.

What?

22. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Jasmine wins first half, Amy wins second half. Toss up for me. I envy Amy's core strength and Jasmine's legs

Big and little Twitch routine will probably win it for Fikshun. Aaron's routines didn't dazzle enough.

23. rjblue

That might be my favourite routine of the night. I loved the use of the conveyor. Tyce has had a phenomenal season. I just so wish they would cast/hire the choreographers for a SYTCC season.

24. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I LOVED Mark's routine for Amy and Jasmine! However, I HATED those circles around their waists.

Where was Sonya tonight?!?

25. rjblue

Hee. Mark just topped Wade's Foxes dance for a "what the..." No wonder Gaga loves him. The ONLY thing wrong with it is that Mark wasn't dancing in it too.

26. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Oh all 4 were great in the last 2 dances. I love Mark. Looking forward to more from him.

Allen and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

ITA. I think that Amy is better at emoting. Jasmine is probably a little more versatile in terms of dance styles.

Mark is all kinds of wonderful. The last two dances were my favorite. I thought the samba was, by far, the weakest dance.

Paula was better tonight than she was on Idol. Gabby was useless.

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Gabby was just slightly better than Carly Rae Jepsen

uyeahu and (deleted member) like this.
  29. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

whyyyyyyyy did they have an extra judge? Gabby is a sweetheart but was completely useless as a judge.

Amy/Aaron - Jazz Fusion, Ray Leeper
    Have I mentioned that I can't stand Ray Leeper's choreography? :saint: Well danced, great partnering, meh piece

Jasmine/FikShun - Contemporary, Travis Wall
    Interesting piece, FikShun was a little tentative on some of the transitions - I think it's a matter of confidence. Wish Travis had choreographed Jasmine lifting FikShun too, but I imagine that would cause Nigel's head to explode.

Aaron/Melinda - TAP! Anthony Marchxqyzzzzz....
    aw, I liked this choreo so much but I wanted to yell SHUT THOSE EFFING LYRICS UP!!! It really ruined this as a tap piece to have the vocals pull away from the sound of the shoes.

Jasmine/Comfort - Nappy Tabs Hip Hop
    oh hey, Jasmine "surprised us all" by choosing hip hop :duh: I really liked this piece, but once again Jasmine did not connect with her partner. My eye went to Comfort for most of the piece.

Amy/FikShun - Miriam/Leonardo Argentine Tango
    Again with a few bobbles for FikShun, but some moments that were quite strong. really liked the piece.

missed Jasmine's solo and Jasmine/Aaron's duet due to phone call

All other solos were good but not super fantastico

FikShun/Twitch - Hip Hop Luther Brown
    Loved this! These two make a good pairing. I do think FikShun was a bit overwhelmed by being in the finale, but this was fantastic.

Amy/Robert - Stacey Tookey Contemporary
    Best piece of the night :respec: Gorgeous dancing, that step off the front of the stage was astonishing - Amy really is fearless.

Aaron/FikShun - Tyce Broadway
    I know Tyce gets a lot of crap for his B'way pieces, but this was a GREAT showcase for both of these men. Maybe this is my favorite piece of the night?!?

Amy/Jasmine - Mark Kanemura Jazz :cheer2:
    the music is giving me Eman voids :inavoid:
    This looked like a hell of a lot of fun, and both danced quite well, but not as tight as I wish. Neither were as clean or sharp with Mark's choreo as Jenna :drama:

For the guys Aaron will and should win. It's going to be a nailbiter for the women...I'm power voting for Amy!

30. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

This may sound odd, but I actually like Robert a lot more this season, post accident. He dances with so much more vulnerability and emotional presence now than he did then. There's more maturity in what he did tonight than anything he did during his own season.

I'll be ok with whomever wins. Jasmine had a great night and is really peaking at the right time. Her dance with Fikshun was probably the most I've liked her all season, but she's never really going to be my favorite. Amy is a great dancer but I feel like I'm only just now getting to see her being challenged and as a result being interesting. I love both Aaron and Fikshun. Can't choose a favorite between them. I really felt Paul's absence tonight.