SYTYCD US is back

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, May 14, 2013.

1. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Saw the show. The Ailey-esque group dance wasn't as much a rip-off as I feared, until that last pose....geeze guys.....

But kind of a forgettable show for me. Nothing bowled me over like last week. The only thing I can remember is how cute Jesse was telling Aaron he had a crush on him and frankly, I enjoyed pretty much all of Jesse's comments.

I also remember Jasmine's silver sequin body suit, and wishing how much I would love to have the body to wear it. Wear it where, I have no clue. But I loved it. That woman is just gorgeous.

So guess I'm rooting for Aaron and Jasmine as the adult choice. Amy and Fic-Shun are cute precious little munchkins. They'll probably win. I still think Tucker and possibly MacKenzie were the two best overall dancers. But of course, on this show...dancing is secondary.....

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

c'mon, really? You still think so this season? I would say any of the top 8 had a legitimate chance to win based on dance ability, including FikShun (although he's the weakest outside his genre). I know there's always the tension between best dancer and "favorite" dancer, but in no way was the show ever supposed to be America's Best Ballet Dancer - or Best Ballet Body, for that matter.

I find it amusing that the season the judges said they were going out on a limb/taking chances with some of their picks, we end up with the strongest top 10 there's perhaps ever been. I'd like to think it's because the show will sort itself out when Nigel & Co stop trying to second guess what America wants from the show, but of course he did keep saving both Jenna and Makenzie so that's not true at all...hey wait! He made sure the best dancers stayed (most of the time)! Crap, does this mean I have to stop dogging on him??

Allen and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Holley Calmes

When did I ever say this show was supposed to be about ballet dancers? I have often said I prefer the ballet body type and ballet as a style of dance, but that's a purely personal thing. Nigel himself has said many times that it isn't about America's best dancer, but it's favorite dancer, meaning the viewership's favorite. That pretty much sums it up. It's a popularity contest voted on by a very young mainstream audience. I'm just glad they're watching something to do with dance, and I hope the show will lead some of these viewers into exploring more about the very wide world of dance-yes, much wider than the world of just ballet, and definitely offering more quality than what we see on this program, fun as it is. Just my humble opinion.

4. Marlowe

Marlowe Well-Known Member

My sentiments too - I think Amy and Fic-Shun are pretty wonderful and I am glad they made the finals. But, Jasmine has been my favorite of all the dancers from the beginning. I like Aaron's bigness - his strength and masculinity. When the two couples are in a side to side comparison, I think that the scintillating charm and cuteness of Fic-Shun & Amy is shadowed by the strength and bigness of Jasmine and Aaron. In other words, If I were putting together the order of the numbers in the dance recital, I'd make sure there were plenty of numbers between these two couples. That said, it's hard not to remember that Amy's performance last week was breathtaking - that alone could lead to her winning. Wow, I'm all over the place on this! LOL!

5. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

This was a group redo of a couple dance Sean choreographed for SYTYCD Canada's first season. It's one of my favorite dances ever, and definitely my favorite Afro-Jazz number ever. Here it is in its original form. I much preferred the original.

I'm thrilled Aaron and Jasmine made the finale, especially Jasmine. Yes, she's not the best technician in contemporary. But I love her. I think she's amazing, her chemistry with Aaron was wonderful from the beginning, she's a kick-ass hip hop dancer and she's absolutely gorgeous to boot. Plus she's shy and I'm all for shy people doing well in these competitions. :) I think Amy and Fik-shun will win this hands down. Then again, I thought that last year Tiffany and Cyrus would win it because of who usually votes on this show and Eliana and Chehon got it. I'd be thrilled if Aaron and Jasmine can pull it off.

6. genevieve

Certainly! But often your comments about someone's ability are so entwined with how close (or far) they are to the highly specific ballet body ideal that it's hard to tell if there is any difference for you. I was just saying that this season has offered the most diverse smorgasbord of deep talent as we've seen since S4 or S5 and while I agree in your disagreement :)P) on a lot of voting trends, this season it's just been hard to avoid sending great dancers home because there've been so many. Reducing Amy and FikShun's clear talent and skill to calling them "cute munchkins" as if they are on the same par as Malece, or the young couple Nigel kept shoving down everyone's throats several years ago is just plain inaccurate. *shrug*

On this, we agree wholeheartedly :)

7. Holley Calmes

Dance is a visual medium. The body is an instrument. Having facility and "ability" might enable a dancer to do the required physical moves correctly, but a back roundoff doesn't equate artistry. How the dancer "plays" his or her instrument is what elevates their athleticism to art. This is greatly enhanced when the dancer's body has pleasing line and creates beautiful images doing those required moves. Some people are just born with it. It isn't a matter of height. I could watch my AD, who was a great dancer in his time, simply walk across the room-he's beautiful in motion. And this is very personal to each of us. Different body types speak to different people. Many "ballet body" dancers I love are probably no taller or bigger than Amy. It's about how my eye and brain appreciate what the dancer puts together....highly individual and personal. Lots of people can do "tricks." I'm not sure I think a whole lot of the kids who have been on SYTYCD through the years go much beyond this though some have. Twitch is an artist to me, for example.

I'm not ready to crown Fic-Shun as a great dancer when even though he's the BEST at his genre, he can't get the basics of pointed toes and straight knees for most other styles. I adore him-I just don't think he's well rounded enough to be the winner, but that's not my call. But it IS my personal opinion. Amy is very good, but I find her limited artistically. And she is a munchkin! I like munchkins. They're cute.

8. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I'd be curious to know why you consider Amy to be limited artistically and who is an example of a SYTYCD female dancer that was an artist?

9. Holley Calmes

Amy is very bright, sunny, smiling-all the time. Except in the piece with Travis, she seems to keep this one dimension all the time - big grin, perky, sweet. It's nice. It's just constant. She always goes flat out. Not much subtlety or modulation in her physical expression. I think I remember a waltz which was slower, but nothing memorable. Going "balls to the wall" all the time doesn't show much range. Of course, some of this could be because of the types of dances and music she was given, but she's still kind of exhausting. Women on SYTYCD who I think were more artistic just off the top of my head were all more mature types....Allison goes without saying-of course. Jaime. I always enjoyed Chelsea. Eliana last year. Kathryn, Katee...Amelia, and I loved Jeanine. Kayla even....I didn't like her much but I certainly give her credit.

10. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'd put Sasha in your group as well. I like chameleons.

11. Holley Calmes

I also forgot Heidi. I started watching the show that season, and I adored her.

12. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

the pros this wk are melinda, comfort, twitch and robert
    i had to google melinda

13. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

She's a tapper from season 7. I think we can guess who she'll be dancing with.

14. my little pony

yes, in my house known as "the girl who tapped"

15. genevieve

Pls tell me she's not the combat boot tapper? She was annoying.

16. pixie cut

I think she was.

I would prefer they brought back Bianca Revels from season 6, but I guess that's not happening.

17. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Awwww - I am just excited for tap in the finale!

18. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Although Melinda was out 3rd week, technically she finished 9th. So, although people don't count s7's actually placement, she made it top 10 and is placement worthy of being an all star if Alex can be who left the week after she did...

19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

So Melinda/Aaron, Comfort/FikShun - then Twitch/Jasmine, and Robert/Amy or vice versa?

20. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I don't remember Robert. Did he dance in anything notable on his season?

And unless Robert is tall, I'm guessing Twitch is for Jasmine since she'd have an issue with most of the shorter guys.

21. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Robert is relatively tall.

He did Fix You in his season didn't he? And this season he did the Travis Wall Second Chances Brothers duet with Tucker - both having recovered from bad accidents.

22. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Both Jasmine and Amy have done a ton of hip-hop already... and Jasmine danced with Twitch just a couple of weeks ago. I'd rather see another disco, or African jazz, or SOMETHING other than hip-hop and contemporary.

And what is the show's fascination with Robert, frankly? I just don't get it, there is nothing that stands out about his dancing to me.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  23. my little pony

i would say that robert is there to be tall except that amy is not tall, assuming jasmine skates w twitch
    i think tallness is his most distinguishing characteristic

24. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Skating would be different.
    Robert and Neil are 2 of the tallest contemporary guys they have had - and they both keep coming back.
    If indeed Jasmine is with Twitch, then I would rather see Amy with Mark.
    Maybe Robert's tallness is for Jasmine and tiny Amy will be with Twitch - that might be amusing.

Or FikShun/Twitch and Amy/Comfort?

And yes, I would like to see Afro Jazz or another Bollywood.

25. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I want a Tahitian dance.

26. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Even though Jasmine is listed as contemporary, video hip hop/pop jazz is something she has done professionally. So her getting a hip hop dancer when everybody else is getting their style is fairer then giving Amy the hip hop dancer when everyone else gets an all star in their wheel house. They may want to showcase Jasmine with an All star in choreography other than Twitch's own.

27. pixie cut

I'm not going to feel the season is complete until I see Jasmine dance with FikShun. ;)

28. halffull

halffull Life is moving too quickly ...

Fingers crossed for Amy and FikShun tonight (even though I think Aaron is a better dancer, FikShun is just adorable :) )

29. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

^^ This (at least I hope). I LOVE Twitch but was sooooo disappointed in their hip hop and in particular, his choreography. Was expecting so much more. Keeping my fingers crossed for tonight.

If dancing doesn't work out for Jasmine, she should go into modeling- the girl is STUNNING!!

30. my little pony

too many judges