SYTYCD US is back

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, May 14, 2013.

1. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I agree with what you say above (except that I think Nigel & Co's making the format so formulaic and trying to outsmart the voters is what has killed the show) - but that's an entirely different thing than what chantilly posted, which is that the contemporary dancers tend to be the best at picking up the different styles. Not that they necessarily excel in every style, but most of them that get into the top 20 are able to pick up new genres more easily than those who've only studied ballroom, or ballet, or hip hop.

Of course, at this point, most of the dancers who make the show have studied just about everything, regardless of what style they are purported to represent :lol: I actually miss the early years when the competitors had a lot more personality and you could see both their strengths and weaknesses as performers.

But I'm right there with you on the contemporary solos, especially for the women. :blah: :yawn: :scream:

2. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I think the show is tailored towards contemporary/competition dancers more. Of the styles danced on the show, we've had contemporary, jazz, lyrical jazz, broadway, pop jazz... So in one season, a conteporary dancer is going to dance styles close to their training more often than a ballroom dancer, for example.

As to this year, I'll catch up with the auditions later. I tend to enjoy the show better if I don't get too involved at the beginning and just watch the good auditions later.

3. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I think the show is tailored towards competition dancers because their numbers are legion as viewers in this country, and it's all about the dollar. Period. My husband was wondering why they were showing so many male dancers the first 2 shows, and then he said...oh yeah-it's mostly girls watching. Think about the female winners of this show. They've been very non-threatening and some downright androgynous...nothing wrong with that, but your sexier femmes haven't exactly been winners. I remember lots of top 10 very hot females, but they never won. Of all the female winners, my favorite was Jeanine, and she was really adorable but hardly mature - she was kittenish. (I loved her!) Last year's female winner was pretty and older and mature, but a wee bit horsey, and I don't mean that in an ugly way-I was her fan from day 1 and think she's one of the 3-4 best dancers ever on the show. BUT - she managed to be sexy when necessary in her dancing, but her interview personality was self-effacing and demure. Someone like Kayla is not going to win. Never has. I think your average tween and young teen female viewer, the base, wants a female to identify with, and that doesn't include Kayla and her ilk. Just my humble opinion!

4. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

If it's the last season, so be it. I'm going to sit back and enjoy it (despite Nigel). :)

5. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Twitch added as a regular judge.

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I liked Twitch's comments and respect for the dancers, as well.

7. Holley Calmes

I had the honor to meet Twitch and work with him for a couple of days at a dance festival - he was teaching hip hop - and I have to say, he is one of the loveliest gentlemen I ever met. And very handsome! He was so fun and gentle with the dancers, and they were so in awe of him. He posed for every photo, gave every autograph asked, and was in general just a delight the whole weekend. Even old granny Holley here had to have a photo taken with him. He's totally genuine, at least from that one experience, but I bet he's like that all the time. (I wonder where all those photos of him teaching got to? They're somewhere on the computer...)

Twitch as a judge? Absolutely!!!

8. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

I just like Twitch :grope: :smokin:

9. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I also like that they are putting through more of the pop lock/hip hop to Vegas without doing the choreography and they seem to be putting more of the generic contemporary dancers in the choreography round. Nearly everyone gets eliminated in Vegas so why not put through people who are so excellent in their styles. If they can't do anything else, there is plenty of time to eliminate them.

From the preview footage last week, it looks like the Exorcist dancer will be back.

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

What I find meh is that most of the genre dancers are so much better at their own style and so much more compelling movers even in styles they don't master than the contemporary dancers, who are interchangeable and who turn almost every other style into 50 shades of bland McDance.

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Right because maybe they can't do anything else in an hour, but can after more practice.

12. Holley Calmes

Bland McDance...I love it. Sorry kwanfan1818, TPTB wouldn't allow me to give you any more rep for awhile.....

13. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Exactly. Plus, between auditions and vegas round, they'd have time to hit a class or two in something other than their own style.

Bland McDance would be an awesome username.

Holley, I provided said rep for you.

14. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Wow - they showed us an entire ballroom audition- and it was great. I was mesmerised by him, and my husband was by her (Misha?). I never catch the dancer's names at this stage.

15. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

He probably couldn't judge the weeks that Allison performs, but he could be a guest judge other weeks. I think that would be great.

16. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Really nice that they're pretty much only showing us good auditions now, even though I'm still irritated by the stupid audience reaction shots during the dances.

Ballroom couple was great! But he seemed a lot better to me than she was - sharper, faster, more attack - of course, she is a hot mamacita so gets the tongue bathing :p

I was prepared to be :blah: about the daughter of the jazz singers who's looking to get into "the industry". But she was fantastic! Her solo incorporated a lot of the moves we've seen from way too many contemporary dancers, but she performed them as if they meant something more than "look at me! look at my extension! give me a prize!", which is the hallmark of all those interchangeable competition barbies.

The guy who danced to the Zoe Keating music was also amazing :inavoid:

Glad sever stutter guy got through - loved when Nigel was all "I'm going to make you talk a lot and we won't interrupt you" and he was "PLEASE finish my sentences so I don't have to flail up here!!!". I wonder if they told him he couldn't tap or use other techniques that he talked about beforehand while he was up there to ease the stutter.

What was with Family Week? And was anyone else surprised by some of the dancers who got tickets straight to Vegas? There was a white contemporary dancer - I think the guy with the sparkly pants who wanted Austin to represent a little freakier - who made me miss what the show used to be...dancers who weren't already completely pro level, but who had great potential...but I thought no way, he would be lucky to get to the choreo round, and he got a ticket! Also, the son of the dance studio family - son was good but not quite there, and his dad totally pwned him in the dance off. Get dad on the show!!

But what can I say, I fell for the shameless heartstring-pulling stunt of having a family of Exorcists on stage :shuffle: I noticed after Mama Exorcist got onstage that she was also wearing a #, and thought, clearly Exorcist is getting through but it would be mean to show all this and not send her too. So, even though that was in no way an actual audition, I approve of sending the whole family. Cause sometimes I need something to counteract my grinchy cynicism :saint:

17. Holley Calmes

Bland McDance and the Competition Barbies. Excellent name for a ....movie? Straight to video.

And thanks, Rob....

18. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I haven't finished watching the whole thing, but I thought the latin dancers were great. The ballet guy from Orlando Ballet? Not so great. Eek, the guy with the dislocating arms - he is going to be so sorry he did that when he is older - I used to be able to jump rope with my arms, and they'd come out of socket with no pain, and now at 52, it hurts to sleep on them and it is hard to lift my arm over my head.

19. skatesindreams

I'm glad I watched DWTS last night and missed the "Exorcists"!

20. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I actually enjoyed it. The kid is musical and obviously plays the "I point at you and you do stuff" game when her parents are practicing, so it looked fairly well choreographed. My guess is that the producers know that Exorcist has been taking classes, so it was straight through.

21. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Really enjoyed the flexer, in general I love bone breaks, tutting and flexing, but on the other hand many of these dancers want to claim credit for innovating these moves when in reality they have been used in contortion for who knows how long and also in New Way Vogue as well. Still wonderfully talented and I love popping my shoulders out myself so I can't blame them.

22. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I just watched my tape today. Exorcist guy made me tear up and cry again, and they really didn't even focus on him as much as they did the child and the 3 of them! I generally don't like that kind of movement and dancing so how the hell does he do that to me?! I still remember him from last time and the same thing happened.

And what was the name of that song he used if anyone remembers?

23. Simka

Simka Member

"My Immortal" by Evanescence. Same song he used last year.

24. ross_hy

ross_hy Active Member

I really wish they would cut out the audience reaction shots during the auditions. They seem completely fake...

pixie cut and (deleted member) like this.
  25. backspin

backspin Active Member

^^agreed, not to mention it feels like you see just as much audience & judges shots as you do the dancing & it's starting to drive me crazy!

26. skatesindreams

There were several good auditions last night.
    Too bad that Enoch -- sad story aside -- couldn't get through choreography.

27. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I think he may have been invited just to present that work dedicated to his cousin. If he had any real intention of competing, he would have been taking partnering classes.

28. skatesindreams

I thought that might have been the case, also.

29. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Honestly I don't even think his original audition was good. Emotional, yes but not good. He has had plenty of time to take classes and get to be an all around better dancer. it seems he didn't. Too bad. I would love to see him back and triumph. There does seem to be a lot of exceptional talent this year. Some of the people though are being chosen for their stories and or their telegenic quality.

I thought that bitchy guy coming back was interesting. Personally I think he deserved to go through to Vegas. But he should have done the choreo. But I also get why he was pissed based on their comments. I know the judges want to see how he can work with others but they could also see that in Vegas and send him home then. I know he is a brat but I kind of get why he was taking a stand for himself. And he may have behaved better if he was sent to Vegas and turned it around. I doubt it but I think part of his attitude was based on being rejected and being called "un-masculine" in the first place. Which is pretty fricken insulting even if it is true. He did try and improve. But guy needs to get to therapy and figure out why he needs to prove himself to the world and be individual at the expense of his career. Dance is about partnership and working with others.

I wish I could get into the ballroom stuff more but it just seems so fake or "performed teeth and tits" to me a lot of the time. That guy that took his shirt off was pretty hot. Blonde girl was good but kind of left me cold. I liked Salsa girl but I think she has a ways to go yet. But I felt her as more authentic in her expression. Her body is to die for. And I would love to see her brother back. What a sweetie.

30. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I wish Nigel would shut up during the performances.