SYTYCD US is back

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, May 14, 2013.

1. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I was skimming by the acronyms trying to figure them out and for a minute I was puzzled by THAT. What is YAGP?

No dances have wowed me yet tonight. I did like the Sean Cheeseman opening- he used some of the choreo from my favourite Afro Jazz from the Canadian show.

eta- I did enjoy the Tyce Jazz too.

uyeahu and (deleted member) like this.
  2. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

Joshua Allen (WOOHOO! That's Charisma!) and Hayley doing a pretty hard hitting Hip Hop with a boxing theme. She wasn't entirely convincing but she danced it about as strong as a cute little white girl with pig tails could.

Have to say Mary looks absolutely gorgeous tonight.

3. uyeahu

Fikshun might have won the whole comp with his Solo tonight. If you didn't love him before, you gotta love him now. Of the remaining dancers I'm most inclined to cast votes for Hayley and Paul but I half expect them to be out of the final.

4. rjblue

And the second Tyce number makes me wonder once again why they ever bother getting him to do Broadway when he is so brilliant in other genres. Jasmine and Neil have the presence and limbs to make me enjoy even the floor rolling parts because they move through the levels so seamlessly.

eta- I think Fikshun is the best they've had on the show in his genre.

5. uyeahu

Very underwhelmed by the Spencer Liff Broadway number for Aaron and Melanie but impressed that she immediately bounced back up in character after taking such a bang to her head. I hope she got checked out after that.

I haven't caught up with you yet rjblue.

6. rjblue

Even without the major flub, I thought it was a terrible piece and didn't showcase Aaron well at all.

7. uyeahu

Agreed. That will either make his fans vote like crazypants or put him in the bottom. It was just so obviously bad.

Paul giving Fikshun some competition in the charisma department with his solo.

The Fikshun and Whitney Foxtrot exactly as awkward and clunky as you'd expect.

8. uyeahu

Tyce's little tribute to storm victims - didn't we just do that last season? Neil was spectacular. Jasmine was also there.

Aaron's solo was fantastic. So far the guys are killin' the solos and the girls are just ok for me.

Amy's compact little body was made for Bollywood and we finally get to see Alex doing Bollywood on the show. Fantastic performances from both of them.

9. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

it's ok jesse, i have a crush on aaron too

10. rjblue

Jesse blushing and hiding under the table might have been the cutest point of the night.

Alex and Amy were fun in the Bollywood, but I didn't like the kissing and lifting parts.

The mirror number was good. Loved the eyeliner, and Jasmine's costume and legs!

11. uyeahu

That was so freakin' cute.. Aaron looks great in the guyliner.

Of the final three dances I preferred Hayley and Paul. And it's as Mary says, Paul works every moment of every dance. I wish Hayley had been able to meet the intensity of his gaze, that would have been the only thing needed to make it better.

Damn. I had a feeling Hayley and Paul were done. That's just the way this season has gone for me.

12. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

aww, i will miss paul

13. uyeahu

whoops. Double post.

14. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Haley and Paul gone? Damn-I was hoping for Paul in the final. Fic-Shun is nowhere near Paul as a dancer, though he's cute as all get out. Now I could care less who wins. Guess I'll go with Jasmine and Aaron.

Oh - YAGP is Youth America Grand Prix. www.yagp.org

rjblue and (deleted member) like this.
  15. uyeahu

Are we getting 1 or 2 winners this time? Not sure I have a dog in this hunt anymore. I just really don't care much who wins now.

16. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

There's no voting tonight. That may be why people were a little off. Results are based on last week's performances. The winners will be based on next week's performances. This week was just for show.

17. uyeahu

Well, that seems kinda dumb.

18. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Best Bollywood since Katee and Joshua.

At the beginning of the show Cat said 1 guy and 1 girl get 100k each.

Spencer Liff routine was crap. Did nothing for Aaron and it wasn't strong from Melanie.

Aw piss, Paul was my fave guy. I would have sent FikShun and Jasmine home. But FikShuns solo kicked butt.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Exactly what I said.

Hmmm, Amy FikShun and Jasmine Aaron got to dance in their old pairings.

Kathryn and Paul were great.

20. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed Paul is gone. Was he ever in the bottom three before?

I am underwhelmed by the final four.

uyeahu and (deleted member) like this.
  21. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Aaron had never been in the bottom and Fik Shun just hit bottom last week so before that he also had never bottomed. This was anybody's game. The votes were probably super close among everybody. Though I think Comfort was the least liked (as a contestant) among the lady all stars last week so that also might have played a part. I mean Hayley also had an all star that hit bottom a few times as a contestant.

22. love skating

love skating Clueless American

Yay... the final four are my four favorites :) I absolutely love fik-shun... can't help it, he totally charms me. At any rate, I love all four so will be happy regardless of who wins

23. halffull

halffull Life is moving too quickly ...

I was hoping Aaron and Jasmin were going last night :( I thought Paul was going to win it all although I really like FikShun too. Fingers crossed for Amy and FikShun next week!

24. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Almost to the end!

Jesse is back!! He is my favorite non-dance affiliated judge. The opening number was nice. Afro-jazz meets Sunday morning liturgical dance. It was nice!

Aaron: I want him to win this so badly!! I thought his number with Melanie was really good and they were so in character, I thought the drop at the end was intentional for a moment. :lol: His tap solo was phenomenal and I loved the dance with Jasmine too. Boyfriend looks yummy with the guyliner ! OMG, Jesse made me laugh so hard. "You're great, I think you're just...I have a crush on you!" *ducks under table* :lol: That was too funny! I have a crush on Aaron too. Aaron is so charismatic and honest...I just think he's wonderful and after almost not making the show to being in the top 2 is amazing. I'm feeling like he is going to win this.

Jasmine: I really loved the concept of the Tyce piece. It really did look like the two of them were blowing in the wind and they danced it beautifully. Her solo was lovely as well. Jasmine exudes a lot of emotion when she dances and I think that's what draws the judges in. I really liked the concept of the dance with Aaron with the mirrors. That sideways split thing was pretty impressive. I love how Jesse told her she was a protractor! :lol: I adore that guy! Jasmine has been a favorite of mine since week 2 and I'm really happy to see her reach the end. My gut is telling me Amy will probably win but to make it this far is incredible and I absolutely love her.

Amy: So cool she did her solo to Red Violin but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. It was a little odd, especially the dead bug ending pose with her legs straight up in the air. That Bollywood piece with Alex was awesome. I didn't think it was the hardest Bollywood (that goes to Joshua and Katie IMO) but I thought Amy and Alex were really entertaining and energetic. The hip hop piece with FikShun was cute but it felt like every other routine they've ever done. I wish they'd drawn jazz or something else. Amy has been amazing all season long and she's never been at the bottom. I'm feeling like she'll walk away with the title this year.

FikShun: His solo was awesome! I loved that! His foxtrot was rather blah IMO. It's a tough dance to pull on a night when people are getting Bollywood and contemporary but I think he danced it well enough...I just didn't care for it. His piece with Amy was fun but like I said, I feel like it was the 3rd or 4th time I'd seen it. I enjoyed it but I'd have liked to see something else. I was a little shocked that FikShun made it into the final after being in the bottom last week but I'm really happy he did. He's adjusted well this season and done a very good job.

Paul: Paul's solo was the weakest of the boys but it was still nice. Next to the brilliance of Aaron's tap and FikShun's hip hop, it just faded into the background a bit. I thought his routine with Kathryn was nice but it didn't stand out that much to me. Same thing with his dance with Haley. I was a little shocked he went home but I'm happy he made it this far.

Haley: I was about 95% sure she would be the one going home this week but I'm glad she made it this far. Her solo was good and her dance with Joshua (WOO!) was really good too. I was watching Joshua more than I was watching her but I do think she kept up with him pretty well. I definitely got that "Million Dollar Baby" vibe from her. Her dance with Paul was nice but it didn't stand out next to the other two couples. I've enjoyed Haley this season and I'm glad she made it this far.

So this is definitely my dream top 4. Aaron/Jasmine and FikShun/Amy have been my favorite two couples of the season and my favorite dancers of the season so no matter who wins, I'll be thrilled. Right now I'm feeling like it's going to be Aaron and Amy but I could be wrong. I'm excited to see what's going to happen!:D

25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I like all of the final 6 but I preferred Paul over both Aaron and FikShun. Paul was so versatile and came on strong the last few weeks. He has some the best ballroom solos I have seen because he can throw some other stuff in. By contrast, FikShun's weaknesses have showed in the last few weeks, but the solos just rock. Aaron has had a couple of bad dances in the last 2 weeks, but choreography had a part in that. And probably his shoulder injury too. Great tap solo. Nice to see a tapper make it to the finale.

Aaron/Jasmine and Amy/FikShun definitely had the most couple chemistry right from the start.

Hayley stood out more early on than she did at the end. She has been consistently good though. Jasmine came on strong in the last few weeks. Amy was strong at the beginning, faded a tiny bit in the middle, came on strong at the end. Overall, I'd send Jasmine home this week, but I am fine with any of the girls. In fact, I would have been fine with Makenzie, Jenna, Jasmine Mason too. Really strong group of girls.

Funny, until this week, Aaron and Paul had never been in the bottom; Amy, Hayley, Jasmine, FikShun were each in the bottom once. Pretty even.

Really my only major :wuz robbed: for this season is that Malece should have been in the bottom early on instead of Makenzie and Jasmine Mason - Malece should have gone home earlier and Jasmine Mason later. Could argue the same for Carlos vs. Jade/Bluprint.

I loved Paul/Kathryn (wish this week's vote counted for the F4) and Alex/Amy.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  26. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Last night's ep was a bit of a step down from the previous week - but last week was AMAZING, pluis I got home right as the show began, so I was distracted while making dinner. No grand recap from moi (you're welcome ;) )

Yes, the opening was an Ailey homage (or ripoff if you must), but it was lovely. Occasionally, I do like lyrical modern.

Aaron's tap solo was possibly the best performance of the whole night. LOVED IT.
    FikShun's solo was pretty darned fantastic too.

So grateful for the artistry of Amy's solo - but I'm not so sure about that ending gyno pose :lol:

Kudos to Jasmine - she finally has figured out connection with her partner, and now she's killing it! When I heard Tyce was doing another Issues Piece, I rolled my eyes, but I loved that. Jasmine and Neil were fantastic together, and the staging was fully formed. I actually liked that Jasmine seemed less sure on her feet, less precise than usual (maybe from the fans? they had to be blowing pretty darned strong to get the paper to move so well)... the slight awkwardness of the transitions worked with the piece and softened her a bit. And Neil is such a better dancer now that he's not the gymnastics pretty boy!

Loved the guyliner on Aaron, but that piece had a cool concept and crappy choreography. Didn't like that piece at all. Quite frankly, I can't believe that the judges didn't call him out for letting Melanie fall on her head like that. It happens, and they both kept on as the pros they are, but that was a hard fall, and the dance was not without its problems before that. hmmm

Loved the Bollywood!

I fully expected Hayley to go - she's a great dancer but even when it's down to three, she doesn't have strong stage personality. Was actually surprised about Paul - and FikShun looked floored.

it seems predestined that Aaron and Jasmine will win this season (HATE the double winner format!!). I think any of the four of them have done well enough to deserve it, I'll be voting based on what happens next week (plus this week if everyone is equally stunning).

27. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

28. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

I had hoped Paul would win based on his versatility and overall dancing skills, but that was wishful thinking on my part. I think the remaining 4 are all good in their own way and it will come down to the choreo and dancer's personality/looks; what performances will come across the best with America's SYTYCD voter's. Genevieve: it seems more likely that Amy and Fikshun are at the top of the leader board now, since they both were sent to safety first. They may appeal more to the tween set who tend to power vote...

29. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Last night Aaron was announced to have made the finals before Fikshun was. But I agree with you that he may appeal more to the power-voting tweens.

30. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I have loved seeing a big guy like Aaron do so well in this competition. He brings a whole different level of physicality to the dance, and it was great that he was partnered with Jasmine in the beginning. I think he can thank Jasmine for getting him on the show -- nobody else is really of a great size to partner with her, and if they were looking at who to bring up when a vacancy happened, his size had to be influential. I guess we can just count ourselves as lucky; I've enjoyed the heck out of his dancing.