SYTYCD US is back

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, May 14, 2013.

1. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Both I think -- Nigel slammed Jess earlier (dubbed him the guy with the attitude problem), but he definitely favored Jeanine or Brandon for the win over Evan. He criticized Evan so harshly one time that the audience reacted and I read he had to go apologize to Evan's family in the audience. Maybe that was the rhumba?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Evan seemed like a really nice kid. I think the audience had a strong reaction to Nigel's critiques and voted harder for him. I often wondered that season if he would have gone much sooner if Nigel hadn't been quite so harsh.

3. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

I think Evan was treated quite well. Fans clearly liked him and carried all the way to the finals. I was done with him around top 10. Nice guy, but he really wasn't up to the material after a while. The rumba with Janette was sad, despite Janette's best efforts. Glad to see she's had so much success post SYTYCD. She deserves it. Back then, the audience determined all the eliminations from top 10 on, and I like to think the judges would have saved her that first time she was in the bottom.

I favored either Jeanine or Brandon to win over Evan. They were better. It's Nigel's job to critique. He doesn't have to love everyone. This is a competition. Of course, he oversteps. Sadly, he manipulates. But he does have a right to prefer dancer X over dancer Y.

4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Will no one rid me of this turbulent dancer?

That was my impression of Nigel with Evan rather quickly, certainly before top 10. I wonder what Evan would have looked like if he'd had somebody besides Tyce choreographing him in Broadway. I thought his dancing was fantastic when I saw him in Newsies. (Jess too, but Jess seemed immature on his season of SYTYCD.)

5. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Evan's season of sytycd wasn't live and Nigel edited himself a lot when it came to negative comments. If you went to a taping or read spoilers you know Nigel was nasty to Evan at times. He also disliked Jess as well. I have no idea why. Jess was pretty crossed trained too. Even was, and still is a jazz and tap dancer. He has a ton of charisma that his fans wanted to see each week. They didn't want him to win-just be on their Tv each week. The other guys in the top ten all had their own issues throughout the season. Except for Brandon and he ended up top guy.

Janette was a victim of two things. She never got a contemporary and she was praised out the wazoo top 8. The sytycd core audience adores and remembers contemporaries and they don't vote for whomever Nigel&CO praises....

6. pixie cut

Please explain what you mean by "issues." I don't recall many issues. I remember Nigel saying Caitlin and Jason didn't have a ton of chemistry. Phillip really was an untrained dancer and struggled at times. Ade had mostly great routines, except for a rather dismal cha cha. He and Melissa got tons of praise and some criticism when it was relevant. Kupono was a quirky dancer. He got both praise and criticism. People still talk about that addiction piece with Kayla with reverence. To me, Ade was the best, but I accept that he didn't make the final. The judges are allowed to criticize the dancers. I'd have been happy if both Jason and Ade had outlasted Evan, but people voted for Evan. That's the way it goes.

7. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

To change the subject, and if anyone really cares what I think... :)....I finally saw the show tonight. Really a good show, but the Paul/Comfort, Jenna/Mark and Amy/Travis really stood out to me and Richard. They were all very good, but we had to rewatch those 3 a few times! I am not a big Amy fan, but that piece was gorgeous and beautifully danced. Good for her! I wish Mark could be on every show, and Paul was amazing!!! Kind of disappointed in the Jasmine/Twitch-I didn't think it was all that, but JMO. She's gorgeous, no doubt. Haley impressed. I really wish I could see these dancers and dances live or with the camera straight-on. I think I would feel much differently about a lot if I could actually SEE the dancing. I do believe the lighting is superb though. The Travis/Amy piece was very beautifully lit, and although they both deserved all the praise they got, I do think the beautiful lighting made it even more a work of art.

I did not like the opening number at all. About the only thing in the show I didn't care for.

8. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Pixie issues mean I would have had Jason out earlier though He was good at top 10 and 8. Ade was a Fork lift and I found him as bad in Ballroom as Evan. Evan actually has good bboy skills and if the show liked him his hip hop would have feature it instead of playing on how cute Randi and he were together but that's a different thing altogether with the show playing to some dancers strengths and limitings others. And criticizing isn't what Nigel did to Evan. He made it personal on the shows. So personal that is why the audience chanted his name in the final and Nigel cut the shit out of his negative critics.

9. pixie cut

To me, the only one who ever made criticism decidedly personal was Mia Michaels. She was vicious to certain dancers. The worst was when she told Heidi something like, "I can't believe you've made it to this point in the competition with your limitations." I realize, Nigel may have made himself look better with editing.

10. Holley Calmes

I was shocked looking at Mia Michaels in the audience during this last show. She looked very bloated and her face was distorted. I wondered if she was out and about too soon after some "procedures." Nothing wrong with some botox, restaylene, etc, but man-she looked bad. I hope she's not really ill. She is definitely not my favorite at all, but I certainly don't wish her any harm. Was that just my imagination? The camera found her briefly in the audience when they "praised" her for that opening number. I could hardly recognize her.

11. pixie cut

She also appeared earlier this season looking awful. There's either something not good with her or some procedures went very badly because swelling should be better by now given the time since the first appearance.

12. Holley Calmes

You're right Pixie Cut. I remember her earlier this year and thinking the same thing. I honestly hope nothing major is wrong, but if she had some "knifestyles of the rich and famous," the swelling should have gone down between the two sightings on TV. I honestly hope she isn't sick and has had to have steroids-that can do it too. Hopefully she just needs to cut her salt intake!

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Hadn't she battled cancer some years ago?

14. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I think something might be wrong. Her normally snarky tweets have gotten increasingly sentimental.

15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

16. Holley Calmes

Not too excited about these all stars except for one or two (don't want to spoiler it.) I guess I got spoiled by last week's lineup. And you KNOW there's "that one" I'm going to have to fast forward through...... teehee. Couldn't resist.

17. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I didn't even need to look to know who you're referring to :lol:

Very excited that we'll see
    Joshua
    again!

Mia's look has changed wildly over the years since SYTYCD has begun, including her weight. So has Mary's, for that matter. Middle age can be very unkind to the ladies - particularly women without the genetic disposition to stall small, and in a field where thinness and youth is even more of a requirement than elsewhere.

18. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Grassy Knoll:

Who thinks they will put FikShun in style with an AllStar?

19. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I'm just curious, why do you hate Melanie so much? I like her dancing. :shuffle:

20. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

She was given the creampuff treatment and praised lavishly when others were actually challenged to dance outside their genres. She also smiled through most of the dances.

I thought she was a very good dancer, but it wasn't easy to tell how much was Melanie just repeatedly getting dances in her wheelhouse.

21. Holley Calmes

Well, this. I also think her movement is heavy-especially this last time with Fic-shun, and I'm not referring to when she tromped offstage afterwards like a Mac truck, either. To me she is the epitome of what I do not like on this show - a competition dancer with little artistry and obvious not quality training outside the world of contemporary competition styles. Everything she did looked alike to me - the same vocabulary in slightly differing styles. I know I am only speaking from my own experience and tastes. I am sure she is a lovely person and I am not attacking her at all as an individual human being. I just find her dancing labored, chunky, and one-dimensional. Everyone is free to disagree. Won't hurt my feelings a bit. Maybe she looks a lot better in person. The year she won, I was not motivated to go to the tour.

Edited to also say...Hey! I don't "hate" her! Hate is a big word, and it's an ugly word that has meanings way beyond the feelings I have for a total stranger who just isn't particularly my type of dancer. I don't hate her in any way. I just don't think she deserved all the praise nor winning when so many other dancers were, to me, so much superior. That isn't hate in any shape, form or fashion.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  22. pixie cut

I definitely don't hate Melanie, but I don't love her either. She had some good routines in her season. I've found her work as an all star quite unspectacular. Her range is very, very limited.

23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I don't hate her either, but she is way down my list of female contemporary dancers who have been on this show. For those of us who are ballet oriented, she is not the willowy, long-lined, pulled-up, airy dancer. She is very grounded in her movement. I like her in a number of the dances she has done though.

24. Holley Calmes

Rob - have you noticed that the types of dancers that some major contemporary companies are promoting are more ballet-looking? Ailey and LINES particularly. We had a friend at Ailey who is more "muscular" and short who is not there any more and we don't know why. And they continuously promote Alicia Mack Graf. (Or is it Graf Mack? Sorry.) Are the boundaries between "serious" contemporary dance and the ballet world blurring a bit? Don't know if I'm knowledgeable enough to know. Just wondered.

25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I think there is a ton more cross training than there used to be - it gives dancers different exposure and different options. In my day, there was ballet, modern, jazz. If you started with ballet, but you were too stocky or flatfooted, you got shoved into modern, and if your boobs were too big or you were too tall, you got shoved into jazz. Ballroom was another world entirely. If you started with modern, the pointe shoes were torture. A school that specialized in more than just one or two types of dance was considered tacky and the training wasn't the best. I went to a school where I had 10-12 ballet classes a week, 1 modern (which we would all skip and get in trouble for), 1 jazz (about half of us attended), 1 "character" - polka, czardas, etc., and 1 mime class a week. This was a ballet school and the other styles were just there for rounding (or to give the full figured girls something to leave ballet for), and we suffered through them. Our school brought teachers in from other schools for them. Of course, Ailey was a pioneer in US hybrid dance forms, and he was cross-trained. Now there are all kinds of hybrid dance forms, and there are good schools that teach multiple dance forms - artsy ballet/modern and commerical competition styles in one school. A ballet body can say no to the pointe shoes and stick with contemporary. I do find that the ballet-only schools still think competition contemporary/hip hop is tacky though.

26. Holley Calmes

I can speak for my artistic director who actually was featured on two tours of "Nureyev and Friends," and was PNB principal for 8 years....he is molding our school into a "ballet only" model. He doesn't scorn modern or jazz at all, but since he is a Balanchine guy (SAB grad/Ford Foundation scholar) I doubt we'll be seeing any character classes, alas. We have modern, jazz and hip hop, but to him, it's only there for the exact reasons you outlined. As far as competitions of any kind-he doesn't even like YAGP!!! He tolerates it, and some of our girls love it, but he doesn't believe in competitions of even the highest caliber. Many others of his background feel the same.

27. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

My old teacher did not like YAGP - too pedestrian in her view. She only liked the traditional Varna and Moscow (no Tokyo or Jackson), and only for very exceptional juniors just graduating high school -- to make a name for themselves. No professional seniors with careers - too tacky. She took Kevin McKenzie & Suzanne Longley to Varna and Amanda McKerrow to Moscow. Then she took Bonnie Moore to Varna. She tried to take Patricia Miller to Varna, but Pat didn't want to. I don't think she even took Marianna Tcherkassky, Mimi Paul, or Virginia Johnson so you had to be pretty exceptional. Ms. Day told Shirley MacLaine during high school that she'd never make it in ballet because her feet were too flat and her face moved too much. So she went off to Hollywood, won an Oscar, guess Ms. Day was right.

28. Holley Calmes

I love those stories....one of our girls went to SAB this summer and her entire class was traumatized by an ancient biddy teacher who would only let them wear one type of pointe shoe even if they didn't fit, and if they didn't suit your foot, you weren't going to be a ballerina. Now THAT is carrying things a wee bit too far for me.... :)

My AD told one of our babies who had a bloody toe because she forgot her toe pads that "in my day, none of the girls wore anything to cushion their toes in pointe shoes." Ouch. I remember my daughter taping each toe with tape but I can't remember any pads, either. I used toe pads-you betcha!!

29. Holley Calmes

Is no one watching? I'm not-we're tivoing, but my Ailey friend just posted on Facebook that the opening number was a Revelations rip off. None too happy about that-evidently not well rehearsed. Guess I'll see for myself. Tomorrow...but do tell!

30. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

I'm getting a late start watching it. Opening number pretty unremarkable and a little awkward. Paul had a great Tyce Jazz and great to see Jesse Tyler Ferguson back on the judging panel.