SYTYCD US is back

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, May 14, 2013.

1. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Premiers with 1st audition show tonight. Can't wait!

2. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I have to make sure I am taping. I like to FF through the bad auditions.

3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I was pleasantly surprised last year. They showed very few, and in a condensed block. Easy to skip!

4. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

I have to work!! BOOOOO!!!

5. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

wow, really? I had no idea it was already time - or really even if it was coming back this year :shuffle:

here's hoping this will be a good season :)

6. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Very entertaining start.

So happy to see Cat again on my TV.

Androgynous guy was intriguing.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  7. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:eek: at softball girl and her injury.

I wish they hadn't added the sound effect. :scream:

8. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Very few bad auditions!

9. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

That was a good show!

10. genevieve

nice to have all decent auditions, and Jesse Tyler Ferguson is always a hoot.

Really enjoyed the first dancer, Fik Shun and his dubstep piece. It seemed about twice as long as the usual solo, but it was engaging - and we got the actually see the whole thing, no cutting back to the judges or completely useless reaction shots of other dancers watching (that happened a LOT during Armenian winner Paul's piece :mad: ).

Second chick was just typical contemporary, nothing special. Except for her name, which is MALICE pronounced muh-LEEESE :scream: That's up there with the urban legend of a baby girl named "feh-MAH-lay" aka Female :rofl:

I did like Armenian Paul but I'm surprised he's allowed to compete in SYTYCD since he's already won one. Does this mean E-Man could come down and try out too? :saint: (yes, I know he didn't win.....)

Elijah with the tutu necklace was mesmerizing. Loved him.

Softball princess has only been dancing for a few months? Not bad, but damn, that knee :scream:

I wish Morris the B-Boy had gotten through - he was flying!!

Armin the Russian Hip Hop singer seems like an arrogant prick but he was very good.

nice highlight on the B-Boy trio...to be honest I don't see why they weren't sent through to choreography. They were certainly good enough to give it a try, even if they were unlikely to move forward.

11. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

Daniel Baker from last season tweeted that this is probably the last season of SYTYCD. Has anyone heard anything from other sources?

12. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Fox is very closed mouthed about its plans. I follow Lythgoe on Twitter and he hasn't said anything (yet)

13. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

So did anyone from this board go to an audition show, or know anyone who went to an audition show?

How do they get the numbers down to who actually gets in front of the judges? On AI they show thousands upon thousands in ballparks waiting to audition (and I've read a few blogs about how that works), but on SYTYCD it seems to always be a manageable amount of people showing up at the theater. How many auditions do those kids go thru to actually get before the judges? Or is this show so focused on dancing that sucky people just don't show up (like they do for AI)?

14. genevieve

its the exact same format as AI: thousands show up, they first audition for producers, who select a very small percentage of people who go in front of the real judges. Any time you see someone truly awful in front of the panel, they were selected by someone else to move on, purely for the entertainment/schadenfreude factor. I think that the auditions in front of the judges might happen on an entirely different day, but I'm not sure.

Even though we've seen plenty of awful or just plain deluded people in the SYTYCD auditions over the years, no doubt fewer people audition for this rather than AI, because there's a lot higher level of stardom to be had from singing than dancing.

The first guy tonight was just :swoon: Timing, control, musicality - loved him!

15. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I loved him, too.

It was nice seeing Twitch.

16. avivadawn

avivadawn Well-Known Member

Yes, one of my good friends auditioned and she was also told that this would be the final season. She didn't make it to Vegas, but since she was in LA for multiple days, I wonder if she auditioned in front of the judges or not. She's a dead ringer for Arielle Coker, so if she appears sometime during any wide shots from LA auditions, I'd be happy.

17. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!! :wuzrobbed

18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

There were several very good auditions last night.
    I particularly liked the first dancer shown and the tapper.

19. genevieve

as much as I love getting to see dance on tv, I'm fine with this being the final season. Nigel is a prat, and the show has fallen into the same formulaic pitfalls as AI. I barely even remember last season.

let's hope this is a good one!

20. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I like seeing the dancers get opportunities, but ITA, last season, the routines were not memorable.

21. genevieve

who won? I have no idea!

22. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

That I remember - Eliana and Chehon. The 2 ballet dancers.

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

From last season's finale:

Chehon and Eliana Ballet "The Nutcracker Suite - Pas De Deux"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7-jPCK-Wsk

24. genevieve

oh yes! I actually really loved them both! I probably blocked it due to the stupid "best girl/best guy" format :shuffle:

25. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I used to watch the entire season, but I cant seem to make it through anymore. Is it just me or are most of the dances contemporary? Mayben I'm misremembering, but I thought there was more variety in the first few seasons.

26. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

shan - there have always been a boatload of contemporary.

27. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Well quite frankly most of the time there is a boatload of contemporary because they are almost always the best well-rounded dancers who do the best over all at all the styles.

28. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Missed last night and :wuzrobbed: at it being the last season! Not only because I love watching it but because it has really inspired the kids in my dance classes. I teach at high school and a good portion of the students don't dance elsewhere and are not exposed to the dance world too much. This show has really helped them see more dance in an accessible format and I have seen a great increase in their willingness to take risks in expressing themselves.

29. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Sorry-I just don't agree. I find MOST contemporary dancers who are on this show to be incredibly bland and mediocre at everything. Yes-there have been exceptions-I agree wholeheartedly, but the majority of kids who audition with contemporary-especially the girls, are just a huge snooze for me. They seem to have a very limited vocabulary of movement and if they don't stop rolling all over the floor in angst....I might die of laughter. Now really good contemporary dancers-Ailey, Lines, etc. are sensational, but that's on a professional level, and yes, those types of company dancers can do anything, but it's a whole different ballgame from what I see on this show. Just my opinion!!

My AD calls it "coupe, jete, kick yourself in the back of the head" dance.

I loved tutu boy and the two sexy ballroom dancers. I actually thought the contemporary girl whose father danced onstage was pretty good. I'd like to see her do some choreography that had more interest. I liked her body and commitment.

I'm just being witchy tonight, but I really believe the mediocrity of most contemporary/competition dance is killing this show.

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

I loved both shows of the opening week.. I really find this reality show holds my attention far more than the voice or even Idol.. I not only watched it but taped it.. I really hope its not the final season as this dance starved fan loves it :cool: