SYTYCD Tour

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by TanithandBenFan, Sep 20, 2010.

1. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I went to the Opening Night show of the tour last night and it was fantastic! This is the first time the tour has come to New Orleans, and the arena looked sold out. I hope they'll come again! I was pleased to see all of my favorite dances from Season 7 (except Billy and Kathryn's "Jar of Hearts" :( )

I got some pretty good pics. And I took a video of the group finale.

Here's the set list from the show:

Introduction of each dancer w/ group dancing
    "My Chick Bad" - Lauren and Russell
    "Shoeless Joe" - Kent and Ade
    "XXXO" (Sonya jazz) - Rob and Courtney
    "Battle For the Beat" - Dom and Jose
    "Boogie Shoes" - Lauren and Billy
    "Heaven is a Place on Earth" - Rob and Kathryn
    Video of Alex and Twitch's hip hop
    "Royal T" (Sonya) - Group Jazz number
    "I Can Transform Ya" - Kathryn and Russell
    "How It Ends" - Kent and Rob
    "All That Jazz" - Group number
    "How Low" - Ashley and Dom
    "Fever" Fox trot - Adechike and Lauren
    "Sundrenched World" - Kent and Allison
    Bollywood - Rob and Billy
    Bollywood - Group number

Intermission

"Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" - Group number
    "Scars" - Rob and Dom
    "Amy Amy Amy" - Kent and Courtney
    "Cosmic Love" - Ashley and Ade
    "Fallin" - Lauren and Adechike
    "Down" (Jay sean slow mix) - Kent solo
    B-Boy medley ("Baby" by Justin Bieber, etc.) - Jose, Russell, and Dom
    "When Love Takes Over" - Group disco number
    Russell solo
    "Tightrope" - Kathryn and Kent
    "Mad World - Ade and Billy
    "At Last" - Lauren solo
    "Fix You" - Rob and Allison
    "Collide" - Kent and Lauren
    "My First Kiss" - Kent and Lauren
    "You Can't Stop the Beat" - Finale

As you can see, they subbed a couple of people in for Neil, Twitch, and Anya on a few dances. I thought there would be a few more new duet dances, but the only new dances I spotted were the disco and Bollywood group numbers (and the intro and finale ones).

I thought Kent and Lauren's "My First Kiss" was even better than Kent and Anya's version. They looked like they were having so much fun together. Between each number, one or two of the dancers came out on the stage and introduced the next number. Sometimes they showed video clips of the rehearsals with the choreographers.

I could watch Billy Bell dance all night long. In all the group numbers, my eyes kept going to him because his body movement is just crazy. It was funny to see just how slight in build and stature he was next to Robert. :lol: Robert and Allison's "Fix You" and Kent and Allison's "Sundrenched World" were so emotional and beautiful. As was Kathryn and Robert's "Heaven Is a Place On Earth."

For an Opening Night, I thought the show went very smoothly. Everybody looked on top of their game and poured their heart into every number. If you have a chance to see the show, I highly recommend it!

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

How weird they didn't do Jar of Hearts, since that pretty much launched the career of the singer.

Sounds like you had a great time! )

eta: great pics! you either had a very good seat or a very good camera. I do wish they were doing Adechike/Kent's chair piece, though. I thought that was one of the best pieces of the season.

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:respec:

A thought about Robert's appearance. You know how in shows like "V" where aliens transform into human form and they're always beautiful? I feel like Robert is an exaggerated version of that...he's just so beautiful, it's over the top. Is that kind of beauty truly humanly possible??? :lol:

4. TanithandBenFan

I was six rows up in the first level, which I think turned out to be a better vantage point for pics than being on floor. I do love my camera. :) I would've liked to be on the floor to feel a little closer to the action and see the dancers' facial expressions closer up, but I couldn't complain with the view I had.

I was surprised they didn't do Jar of Hearts for that same reason.

5. genevieve

I went to the S4 tour, and our seats were in the LAST ROW :eek: :lol: The venue only had one level, so it wasn't terrible, but we definitely had to watch the jumbotron to see faces. That's basically why I didn't try to get tickets to this tour.

6. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I'm going Monday night...Richard is supposed to get a press pass to be in a special section to get pix for a national magazine....but we haven't gotten the press ok from SYTYCD yet-they decide at the last minute.

But wow-GREAT pics T&BFan! Fantastic! I've been told we can't get into Gwinnett Arena (without a press clearance) with any camera that has a removeable lens. Small cameras with built-in lenses only. The venue says it's a SYTYCD rule, but now I'm guessing it's the venue rule and they're passing the buck.

You must have taken those pictures with a camera with a detachable lens! They are just too good! Or maybe you are just a genius!:lol:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. TanithandBenFan

It's a point and shoot camera - no detachable lens! The Canon SX100 with 10x optical zoom (40x digital zoom). I didn't think I'd be able to get such clear shots, but the lighting was just bright enough that the camera could focus pretty well. I had it on the 10x or 13x zoom setting most of the time.

8. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing :)

9. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

I'm sad they didn't do some of the pieces from the Meet the Top 11 episode. Paris Is Burning was one of my favorite pieces of the season.

Thanks for all the info! Sounds like it's one of the best tour line ups yet.

10. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Probably because they already have 3 Travis pieces.

11. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

Probably. I enjoyed Paris is Burning more than Collide though, and Lauren and Kent were both in Paris Is Burning, and one of the other guys could easily have learned Mark's part. Billy or Robert would have done well in Mark's part.

Maybe they were less apt to do recasts of pieces this year than they have for past tours though.

12. Holley Calmes

Thanks! Maybe it is the tour that has the no-detach requirement after all. Well, I've got my fingers crossed we get the clearance.

13. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

I don't think it's about recasting. Robert is in The Neil/Kent Contemporary and s5 Ade is in the Neil/Kent Broadway since Neil isn't touring.

Collide is the just the epic tween dance. If you go on the sytycd fan board it's all about the Lent kiss and that their love must be real because they kiss at the end of collide and at the end of my first kiss. Although those kisses were in the original versions, tweens are so into this couple. So yeah Collide had to on tour even though I love Paris is burning more then Collide myself.

14. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

It's great to see Russell and Kathryn getting to tour. All the other All Stars had tour experience, but their season didn't get that. Nice to see Russell in My Girl Bad. I bet he brings his own flavor to it. Also, any chance for more Ade is good.

15. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Here's a video of Russell&Lauren's My chick bad from New Orleans:

http://www.youtube.com/user/maheine16#p/a/u/0/VO23im7FLB0

16. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

17. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

T&Bfan, you got GREAT pics!!

(And I know it's just me, but I think Jose's a little hottie!)

Robert's so beautiful it's scary...

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Holley Calmes

OK! Richard has his press photography clearance! It'll be a story for Dance Studio Life Magazine-upcoming issue-probably November. Hope he gets to shoot some interviews as well as the show. I'll be there too-hopefully it won't be too loud! I'll report Tuesday.

19. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Have fun :)

20. TanithandBenFan

The music was soooo loud in our arena - my seat was vibrating from the base!

21. Holley Calmes

OK-I survived. I even had fun for the second half. The order of performance seemed to be the same as above. But let me warn anyone-if you have tickets for seats "on the floor," be prepared not to see anything! Gwinnett Arena is formatted so that the "bowl" has perfect seating in a horseshoe around the stage, but then they stack another few thousand in folding chairs on the floor where I found myself. If you are 5'4" like me, forget seeing anything. Sure there are jumbotrons, but it really isn't the same as seeing those kids live. So the first half was for me simply a mash of bits and pieces. There's a big Bollywood finale to the first half that was adorable!

Then there was the screaming....but hey-these kids are just having fun, even though I truly wanted to kill the child beside me.

Then for the second half, the friends we went went insisted that I go sit with the wife...in the center of the front row! No lie! I saw tonsils on those dancers. They were ten feet away. It was like having on-ice seats for Stars on Ice only closer.

I enjoyed it thoroughly. I was blown away by how charismatic and what a star Russell is. I think he was my favorite. He's incredible at his "specialty" but it is so obvious in his body line and execution that he has so much more training! And he has a beautiful instrument. I'd love to see him do something else with it.

They used Robert so much in the first half! But I did get to see him do much in the second-the balloons, Fix You, etc. When he's in an ensemble, they always had him front and center, and it was obvious to me that he has a lot of professionalism and range. Kent is fabulous but he's always Kent. Robert interpreted whatever was appropriate for the dance. And Kent should NEVER, ever do Bollywood again after this tour! Ade was another standout for me - the other most professional and so strong and sure in his movement. Lauren is great, but I just can't get too excited. Sweet girl though. Kathryn is just the most gorgeous thing I've seen in ages-and what a body for dance. I found her my favorite girl.

But...Billy stole my heart. He's maybe really the best dancer of them all, and his emotional input is without peer. Consumate artist. His commitment and acting skills in Mad World had us in tears. I was within ten feet of him, and his total immersion in the role was wonderful to experience.

Richard as a press photographer got to take the opening and the first group dance only. Then everyone had to take their cameras away! He took 250 images and said he might have a few. I guess he'll work on them today.

Overall, the group of performers spoke so well. I heard last year they sounded awkward, so they must have worked on this. Each dancer got some microphone time to introduce or do funny little dialogues. They performed these well and smoothly without sounding like amateurs. Robert was especially good at this, but then again, I'm very prejudiced for him!

I recommend going, but be sure you have a seat where you can see!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  22. TanithandBenFan

Loved reading your thoughts, Holley! I'm glad to hear I didn't miss much being on the floor (that's where I wanted to sit but they were only available through auction here).

Billy's dancing is simply :swoon:

23. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Billy injured his Ankle in KC (doing Bollywood) and that would have been a nightmare for me if it was too serious. Luckily he just tapes it up. He's the big reason I'm going to tour. Although I adore Kathryn,Tightrope and hip hop is not what I want to see her in.

This youtube user has HD video of the St Louis performance :swoon:

http://www.youtube.com/user/usagicassidy#p/u/18/bIb0ktL9UgA

24. Holley Calmes

Here are the best of the photos Richard took.

http://www.pbase.com/rcalmes/so_you_think_you_can_dance

He was only allowed as a press photographer to take the first three dances which included the introduction....but I think he got some nice ones. The PR firm has to see them and ok which ones can be published, so I don't know how long this gallery will be up!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Holley - those are great. I love Kent and Ade or Adechike in the backflip, but my faves are Billy in the splits, Adechike in the air, and LoFro in the backbend. But there are a lot of great ones.

26. Holley Calmes

Thanks Rob. I get crazy looking at those two guys flipping in the air together. Wow! Glad you like them. Your opinion means a lot!

27. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Thanks! and I keep marveling how he got the 2 guys flipping at just the same angle. Amazing!

28. genevieve

Mad FLOVE!!! for the photo of Ade and Kent in the SBS backflips :rollin:

I also love the one of Russell and Lauren in the hip hop duet where she's in the pike and he's holding her feet.

Great shots all around! :)

29. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

The last two shows saw these changes:

Fallen and Fever are gone and Adechike's Courtney stair jazz was added but he only has one partner dance now. So if he's a favorite don't go to tour.

Tightrope is gone and Lauren's first week pop-jazz with Ade has been Added. As well as her If I was a boy with Dom.

Robert now has a solo.

30. Holley Calmes

Glad you like! I'll tell Richard. He loves to please!