SYTYCD Top 7 7/14-7/15

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rob, Jul 14, 2010.

1. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

I have watched since season two, and never before have I absolutely not cared who wins. With Alex gone I have no one who really inspires me.

I enjoy Billy. I don't dislike Kent. I like Lauren, Adechike and Robert well enough. I would like to see Jose gone because he's so over his head. Kent may be milking it, but at least he can do the choreography. Jose has been given such a benefit of the doubt while putting out such mediocre performances. He has not shown the ability of previous b boys like Gev to pick up choreography. He lacks Legacy's passion and sensitivity. Time to go home and let the dancers left dance it out. Maybe I'll feel more inspired when he's gone.

2. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Nigel tweeted today that if Ashley (or Alex I guess) does the tour, they aren't eligible to return next season. If they don't do the tour they are. He said this is Fox's rule.

3. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

I hate Alex for spoiling me. :lynch:

While I'm certainly not a dancer (!) I thought Billy turned a corner last week. I loved the choreography and thought he poured everything he had into both of his numbers. Can NOT figure out why he was in the bottom 3.

Even Kent turned a corner in his piece with Adechike. I didn't like his broadway number; it was just too cutesy for me.

I positively loved Robert's performance in the Travis Wall contemporary. It grabbed me, pulled me in, and made we cry. Not a popular position I know, but there you are.

4. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Can I be spoiled and hope that Alex doesn't do the tour so he will be back next season? He is the only thing that made me really want to watch. Now I just watch for Mark K.

5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

The chance of Alex doing the tour is near zero. He will be on crutches for 8-12 weeks, then will have a rehab plan to get his function back.

6. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Ok, that makes sense. Jessica did the tour even though she couldn't finish the competition.

Alex won't be ready for the tour.

FYI, I read that the DiLellos are on the Burn the Floor tour and there are some Sept/Oct dates where Mary Murphy is guesting (in San Diego and San Jose). Janette and Karen Hauer are also in it.

7. LadyGray

LadyGray New Member

I have this problem with this group, too. For me, the problem stems from my feeling that most of them seem like the same contemporary dancers in different bodies. They all have some incredible strengths, but too few really stand out. Alex the ballet boi stood out, but he's gone. The tapper stood out, but she's gone. Only one ballroom/Latin/salsa dancer this year, and she's already gone. I can't believe they didn't find any worthy hip hop dancers this year-- none of the amazing dancers from the ABDC crews want in? I totally get the Jose star quality bit, but he's not strong enough.

Too much same old, same old contemporary/jazz mumbo jumbo for me this time around (rehashes of drug addiction/dead-dying parent pieces, or too story/personality-driven rather than movement-driven) and really crappy ballroom and hip hop numbers (save the Twitch/Alex and Ashley/Dom numbers).

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. LadyGray

LadyGray New Member

This made me giggle. Sorry :slinkaway

9. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

Well, I think the producers shot themselves in the foot pimping the 3 dancers they did, Alex, Jose, and Kent, at the expense of basically all the others. Okay, so Alex earned basically all the pimping and more, several times over.

Their pimping of Jose I think is really starting to backfire, I think they were really hoping and expecting for a lot more growth than they've gotten.

I'd say the same to a certain extent about Kent, while he's proven to not be as one dimensional dance wise as Jose, the full connection I'd say just isn't there.

Billy and Robert have basically been ignored thus far, compared to the others and with Alex out, that's becoming all the more apparent, and now that Billy is really stepping out of his shell, probably because he felt overshadowed by Alex, it's becoming apparent. Although that is partly some of Billy's problem as well, since he had several uninspiring performances early on, particularly one that SHOULD have been :swoon: :respec: and :kickass:

I think they are just trying to forget Adechike is even on the show. Although truthfully, until his piece with Kent last week, I don't think he was ready for the show.

10. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Robert ignored? They've been pimping the hell out of him from the first competition week! At the expense of Billy, IMO. It just hasn't worked - audiences are not buying what they're selling.

I think the mistake was that, with such a technical powerhouse in Alex, they shouldn't have surrounded him with so many strong contermporary guys. They should have stuck him in a season with strong ballroom and hip hop dancers. I think they didn't trust that Alex would resonate with audiences the way he did. Or maybe they were so determined that he should win that they stacked the show with dancers in similar styles so people would see how much better he is than dancers in his own style, and not risk people voting for someone else because they prefer that style.

The biggest :wall: I have about the show is that the judges are so busy trying to manipulate the outcomes and second guess their audiences. They don't trust that the really talented dancers they've got can make it on the show without some bogus story (Alex overcoming his "inability to project emotion", Joshua overcoming his complete lack of training - ignoring all those years of classes he took as a kid, of course) and then get in major snits when someone they don't want to win resonates with the voting audience (example: Kasprzak brothers).

11. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

While I agree that Joshua and Russell were both promoted as untrained dancers when both openly admitted to dance training, I totally disagree about snits over Evan Kasprzak. I think he was totally totally totally pimped by the producers/Nigel/judges. They gave him serious air time during auditions for season four and then when he made it in season five he was thrust into the spotlight by the little drama with it "coming down to" him and his brother, who in reality had ZERO chance of ever making top 20.

All the judges did was offer him honest critiques when he sucked at something, which I thought he did a lot once they hit top 10. That rumba with Janette was embarrassing. I think the judges were more pissed that after they'd pimped him so much he wasn't dancing very well in diverse genres.

I was terrified he'd win when in reality he should have been gone around top 12.

12. shells

shells New Member

Cynical me wonders who will be injured tonight?

I'm not enjoying Billy's performances much either. While I can tell his technique is strong when he's dancing his solos, I find them boring. There's nothing that reaches out, grabs me and pulls me in. The only dance he's done so far that I've really enjoyed is the Boogey Shoes routine with Lauren.

I'm so bummed that Alex had to leave that I'm just kind of 'meh' about those that are left. I enjoy the All Stars, I think I'm watching to see them more than any of the contestants at this point.

13. Patsy

Patsy Active Member

Billy

14. LadyGray

LadyGray New Member

Yesterday, I was watching videos of Dom, Hok, and Ryan dancing with their crew. Today, I re-watched Dom's hip hop/b-boy with Jose and realized how dumbed-down the choreography was for him. Jose is nowhere near Dom's league.

(Just as a point of interest since I was reading up on Dom's dancing experience after watching some Quest videos: Apparently, when Dom was chosen for the top 20, he used the time between the announcement and the commencement of the competition to get a little training in some other genres. Good for him, but too bad it didn't help him in that horrendous banana paso that got him ousted from the show :( )

Also, in case anyone is interested: Dom, Hok, and Ryan, post-SYTYCD *sigh*

15. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

I never had the impression they pimped Alex. Good heavens, they didn't have to!

He was not only technically proficient and passionate, but funny as hell. The man's a walking PR machine. Good weeks, bad weeks, waiting for surgery, lugging around a cast, he's been not only positive, but positively charming.

16. london_calling

london_calling New Member

Um...where's Billy?

17. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Other thread