SYTYCD Top 7 7/14-7/15

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rob, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Jose is a guy off the street - he hasn't had any training except that given through the show, and it shows.

2. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

OK-there are a very few really carismatic personalities with great artistic gifts who are superstars. But by and large, the dance world is peopled with individuals who are not off-the-chart characters. In fact, a lot of very gifted artists of any kind are inward. What it takes to win a popularity show has nothing to do with an individual's artistic gifts. You can be a very reserved, quiet person and get on stage and channel anything from Attila the Hun to the Pope. If you're a true artist, you can become anything, and your own persona isn't that important. For some, who are more "personalities" than "artists," it's the other way around, and often to great entertainment effect. There's a few who manage to pull it off somewhere in the middle. I know MANY wonderful artists from all disciples who would never win a personality contest. I think it's a bit unfair in this respect-kind of like having to be Michelangelo and the Homecoming King/Queen all in one package.

What I wanted to express was that you don't have to be a crowd-pleasing personality while not dancing to be a gifted artist while dancing. That was not a great sentence, but you know what I mean.

3. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

I consider BBoy work training of some kind, it is a skill to know how to do some of that, whether he does it well or not is another story, but even what he can do does require skill, practice, and training. It takes a lot of upper body and core strength and work to get a lot of those skills.

I'd say he's the first truly untrained dancer we've had on the show though, in terms of formal Ballet, Ballroom, or Hip Hop training.

Although the TRUE untrained dancers are the :scream: auditions we see.

4. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

This is completely unrelated to any of the posts above and is a totally shallow statement. I want Billy to appeal more to the voting audience. When he was standing on the stage next Adechike and his magnificent smile, it was more apparent than ever - Billy needs zoom whitening.

5. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

He can whiten his teeth and clear up his acne (is it me or do both Billy and Jose appear to have clearer skin), but he doesn't have the wink factor. He's a dancer who will appeal to dance lovers. He's not a dancer who will appeal to the masses that watch a show like this and vote. Even esoteric talents like Mark have the wink factor. Something that draws you in and captivates you. Billy is a beautiful dancer, but he lacks sex appeal, even the benign kind that tween girls crave.

6. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

i think that is it - when Billy dances, he is dancing for introverted Billy making me feel like I am peering into his private world - that what he is doing is not dancing for anyone else but him to see and that makes me feels like spying or peeping tommish to me.

Yes, Mark has the wink factor and one could droll over his personality, looks and dance lines. While Billy has technique, I just can't imagine a hawtness factor or wanting him to take his shirt off.

YMMV and obviously it does.

7. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Most people don't droll over Mark's dance lines. I love him and think no one in the current season comes close to Mark in the charisma department but Mark isn't competing this season and in his season he was not the best dancer nor was he the most liked so why bring him up?

And the show is dealing with Billy's teeth. They are much whiter then in the first couple of weeks. Billy drinks a lot of pop and well that's never good on teeth.

8. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I feel this way when I'm watching Mr. Weir, though our Johnny definitely has sex appeal. He can skate very inwardly, and I love it. But I do agree with the above. And Mark is definitely hawt big time! Funny ears and all. That Polynesean dance (Balinese? whatever) was tingly time!

9. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

They said it was Tahitian. And yes, it was fabu.

10. Era

Era New Member

That's exactly how I feel when I watch Billy, like I'm an interloper in "Billy's World".

There are people who are introverted both on and off stage, others who are extroverted both on and off stage, and those who are introverted off stage but extroverted on (Johnny Depp is a good example of the last one).

If Billy could find a way to become extroverted on stage or at least make us feel like we are invited into his world, he'd be doing much better in this season. He did seem to come close to a breakthrough on the jazz routine with Lauren but it may be too little too late.

I've loved Mark from day one on Season 4 but initially it was for his ability to draw one into the performance and his incredible musicality. I honestly didn't notice that he was kind of cute until "Bleeding Love" or "Kiss, Kiss" and it wasn't until "The Rose" that I kind of went into swoon mode and haven't recovered since.

11. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

See, I LOVE when I'm watching dancers that dance that way, because I feel like I'm actually seeing a part of them and getting a glimpse into "their world" so to speak. And I also think that results in much more interesting, creative, and better performed solos.

Part of the reason most of the Contemporary solos on the show are crap 85% of the time, is that they are doing what they THINK the judges and public want to see, not what they are comfortable doing, which is why Billy's solos are so strong.

12. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Which rather supports this:

I do agree that most of the Contemporary female solos are crap because they're so commercial and full of tricks (aka what they think the audience/judges want to see).

13. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

And they don't take the time to finish their tricks typically, they rush from one trick to the next and don't finish any of their movement all the way to the end like they would in a "normal" solo.

And yes, I would agree with Pixie and others that Billy, is a Dancer's dancer, not a general populous dancer. We've had a few others as well over the years. Matt, Thayne, Kourtni (all 3 from Season 4), and Jaimie from Season 3, all come to mind.

14. genevieve

And some of them don't even appeal to dancers :shuffle:

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  15. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

I love Thayne. Matt reminded me of Evan Lysacek. I could never get into Kourtni but Jaimie Goodwin I absolutely adore.

16. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Kortni had one good solo, but I vastly prefered Courtney Galiano. She was actually one of my favorites that season. No her technique wasn't the best, but I think she brought more stage presence and personality than most people have, which was evident when her and Katee did that (god awful) umbrella dance and even though Katee was technically superior, I couldn't take my eyes of Courtney.

and FWIW, I have 10 years of ballet, contemporary and pointe training.

17. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

I still don't get the Courtney Galiano appeal, at all. I still don't think she should have even been on the show, at least as a Contemporary Dancer. She's an amazing Hip Hop dancer though. My favorite pieces of hers were the Hip Hops she did.

18. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

I disagree that Billy is only a "dancer's dancer". I'm not a dancer and I love him. I think he lacks the theatricality of dancer's like Robert and Kent who are often mugging quite a bit during their performances, or as Nigel calls it "pulling faces". I find their dancing very skilled but stylistically unremarkable while I find Billy quite unique. The way he moves and many of the choices he makes seem to reflect a more mature artist who is striving to make choices that will separate him from the crowd. More than any of the others, save perhaps Adechike, he manages to integrate his own style into the choreographer's work. This week's solo was his weakest for sure, but still miles ahead of anything we've seen from the other remaining contestants in their solos. I felt the same about Alex.

19. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

Well, of course there will always been exceptions, but I'd say you being a non-dancer than is a huge Billy fan is more than likely closer to exception than a rule. I could be wrong, but that would be my conclusion.

Although.... from what I can tell, the only one that seems to not be a Billy fan here is Numbers. I remember largely positive reviews of him this week and in general on here, especially since Alex left.

20. numbers123

Just because I said he made me uncomfortable? I am glad you can determine that I am the only non-billy fan. Sheesh, I knew that I should have stayed away from this discussion. I am not allowed to say what I feel?????????????

OK, I forgot that rule.

uyeahu, Capella and (deleted member) like this.
  21. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

UM :huh:

All I said was, you don't seem to like him, It wasn't meant as a negative comment. You said he makes you uncomfortable, usually that means a lack of enjoyment in watching something or wanting them to be in a competition.

I've seen very little negativity towards Billy the past couple of weeks, the wording and very recent nature made yours stand out to me, I'm sure if I went back and looked through this thread and the others I'd probably find a few others that don't like him either, but you were the only one I recalled off hand.

22. numbers123

Until these last 2 posts by you, I have not quoted you or directly attacked your comments. I went back and read the whole thread. I do not find where I said I "hated" or anything other than he makes ME uncomfortable. Because we have had major disagreements and you have previously attacked me through other posters, I stand out to you.

In one of the posts in this thread, I indicated YMMV and obviously does. I will remember that I am not allowed to have an opinion. Thank you very much.

23. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

Oh for god sake. I knew you'd twist that comment and turn it into something it wasn't AT ALL.

There was no negative conotation or bashing when I said you weren't a fan, I DID NOT use the word "hate." You were the only one I remember saying anything negative about Billy in recent history.

Personally attacked you through other posters???? :rofl: Any and all personal attacks I've made at you, and yes I will cop to some that were, oh, 3 or 4 YEARS ago, have been straight from me. I've let that go and moved on.

You made a statement Billy makes you uncomfortable, I took that to mean you don't enjoy him, MOST people aren't fans watching people that make them uncomfortable when they dance/skate/whatever. Which is fine. We were talking about audience and mass appeal vs. Dancer Appeal of him. The discussion had begun that he would appeal to pretty much only dancers, but then I started thinking about it and the only one I could remember clearly saying something to the contrary, was you, THUS the statement of him only having dancer appeal may not be as true as several of us initially thought.

There was no bashing, hate, or argument in ANYTHING I posted toward you. It was a neutral statement.

24. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I am NOT a dancer and I enjoy watching Billy.

There, I said it :)

uyeahu and (deleted member) like this.
  25. genevieve

Oh FFS, we've managed to have a pretty successful bunch of threads so far this season. Please take your bickering and :drama: to PM.

26. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I'm a non-dancer, and I'm on the fence about Billy. Sometimes I can really see how lovely his lines and his boneless movements are, and I can see why people rave about him. Other times there just doesn't seem to be the spark behind his performance that I saw in dancers like Alex, Danny and Vincent(from SYTYCD Canada). They are dancers that knowledgeable people raved about and they were early favourites of mine.

Perhaps the problem for me, with Billy, is that I was expecting to be WOWed by him, and instead he was overshadowed by Alex.

So- right now I'm rooting for Billy (growing on me), Robert (hoping for a Mark-like performance), Adechike (probably making the most progress in how to appeal to TV audiences), and Lauren (perky, blond, and NOT annoying).

Jose(in over his head) and Kent (he's MASCULINE and SHOULD BE ON BROADWAY) can leave next please.

27. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

What you said, but I prefer AdeChike over Robert at this point. I think Chike's getting better and Robert is staying the same for me. Of course, if Robert gets and kills a Sonya, that might change things for me.

28. kappa_1

kappa_1 Member

Yes!

But unless a last minute shift in momentum happens, I'm pretty convinced that we'll see a Kent, Robert, Lauren, Adechike top 4.

Kent will win, and become my least favorite sytycd winner evahhh

29. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Something tells me Nigel will not be telling Jose that he needs to include more variety in his solos. :lol: I look forward to Billy's hip hop solo this week. ;)

And ITA that Billy is not just a dancer's dancer. But, I'm talking about dancing. I don't think he has the cuteness factor that will appeal to the texting tweens. As I said before, I think that a lot of the votes are based on personality (and looks) outside of the dancing. I also think that Billy is so good that I think that some people assume he's safe and the judges are so mean that there is a backlash of votes (like for Adechike) or so gushing that people get inspired to vote. Oh, well, at least we get to see his solos. That was the one good thing about Danny absurdly and repeatedly ending up in the bottom three.

30. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

That is exactly it - I knew I'd like Alex best because his is the style I trained in, but I really thought Billy would be neck and neck with him. That didn't happen. I also thought that Jacob was really lucky that Billy had to go home last year, but it has turned out that Jacob was a far more dynamic performer.

This year has become strange because I no longer have a clear favorite 4 or a clear favorite next to go home.