SYTYCD fans: gender and race?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LadyGray, Jul 4, 2011.

1. LadyGray

LadyGray New Member

For your consideration: Gender & Race on SYTYCD

(I know we've talked about much of what the author of the blog brings up.)

2. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I didn't know Mia was out. Cool. :D

3. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

The post was interesting, but the author lost me a bit when she said her favourite dancer this season is a short ballroom expert who has problems with the lifts. I assume she means Jess.

4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

she lost me a bit at the very beginning

so very pretentious :drama:

I do agree with a lot of what she has to say, but the way she says it is too, too precious. as I've said more times than anyone wishes to remember, the gender inequity on the show drives me nuts. last season I was thrilled with the same sex pairings throughout the season and I think the show needs more of that, even without the all-stars. I think we're a long way off from getting same sex duets that are romantic, but I'd settle for fewer opposite sex dances that are.

And I think she misses the mark a little bit in noting that not all the hip hop choreographers are black...more telling is that Nigel goes out of his way to express how "scary" the hard hitting hip hop is and especially how frightening krumping is. Add that lens to the promotion of CrappyTabs as main hop hop choreographers because even their harder dances are lyrical aka Not Scary. Hmmm.

5. LadyGray

LadyGray New Member

gen, I don't spend a lot of time watching the behind-the-scenes or judging stuff on most of these reality talent shows (we have a DVR now, so I usually ff through those parts, but I used to do chores around the house until the actual performances came on), so I didn't realize that Nigel had been selling hip-hop or krumping in that manner. That's definitely more problematic than the number of black street dance choreographers they hire.

I agree that I'd settle for fewer routines based on sexual relationships in general. Often, the expression of the relationship supersedes the actual dancing-- which tends to work out well for dancers stuck with styles outside of their genre, so there's a silver lining.

TygerLily, I'm guessing she meant Jess, too. Perhaps she made that assumption because he looked so comfortable in that fox trot?

6. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

The most prejudicedl judge statement I ever saw in dance came from Bravo's one-season dance competition, Shut Up and Dance. One of the contestants was a black ballerina (and oddly, quite a bit of ballroom training) and that week was hip-hop week. She did not do well AT ALL. This is understandable, considering she was a ballerina and ballroom dancer, and she confessed to being nervous and not really comfortable with the style.

The judges were all shocked she did not do well at all. One of the judges flat out told her, but you're black. It's in your roots. You should have this down!! I was sort of shocked that would be a criticism in the latter 2000s.

7. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Ignorance is eternal? ;)

(But I hope not!!!)