SYTYCD Aug 11/12 The Finale

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, Aug 10, 2010.

1. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I thought both of them looked like little boys playing dress up. And, although I hate the criticisms of guys on this show not being masculine, they both looked way too effeminate for the choreography and it looked like a poorly executed gay camp piece.

2. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I voted for Lauren a bunch of times and had no trouble getting through. So did my mom and my sister in law. (Both new voters this week).

I would place them:

This week only 1. Lauren, 2. Robert, 3. Kent
    Overall 1. Lauren, 2. Kent, 3 Robert
    What I think will happen 1. Kent, 2. Lauren, 3. Robert

I liked all the dances ok except the Mandy Moore piece. Not any Top 10 of all time, but I liked Robert/Mark, Kent/Allison, Lauren/Robert and Lauren/Pasha best.

Another spoiler link:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/08/12/ellen-degeneres-twitch-sytycd-finale/

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  3. genevieve

Rob, I agree with all three of your placements. There's a chance that Robert could end up in 2nd place due to the OTT tonguebathing he got last night and the show's predominently "hot guy oriented" audience, but Lauren has definitely held her own in the voting for most of the show, so here's hoping that will continue.

4. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

I'm late to this party but...me too... :grope: And to Holley Calmes - ditto on Pasha!

5. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Me three. :grope: Very happy to see Pasha again last night. :grope:

So, I suppose that Kent will win, but I really am hoping that somehow Lauren does. Unfortunately, I didn't have any trouble getting through for her ... or for Robert, either. Oh well, at least they both made the finals and I enjoyed most of the dances last night. My favorites were Lauren/Robert, Lauren/Pasha, Kent/Alison, Robert/Mark, Robert/Katherine. I thought that Lauren/Kent's dance was the weakest by far -- it didn't engage my interest at all, which could have mainly been because of the music and choreo.

6. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

I think Robert is very nice looking, but I don't feel any heat. Pasha on the other hand is smoldering.

I thought Kent kind of sucked all night long. He wasn't being an artist, he was out of it.

It was Lauren's night. Let's see what happens.

7. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Of course you're right. Robert's just a kid, too. However, what I see in him is potential, and if he grows into his beautiful body, lovely face and eyes, and continues to mature artistically, well, I'm already impressed but he could be really something!

8. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Mark and Pasha are older than my oldest daughter, I can swoon over them without any guilt, and they have an mature intensity that Robert has not yet reached.

The other odd thing about Robert is that he doesn't seem to have a bit of a bit of arrogance(I think I mean self-centeredness) to his personality, which is unusual for a kid that good looking. I wonder if he is that way in real life.

9. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I get that too. Perhaps his background of being good, but not quite good enough at baseball kept him grounded. Seems he feels the same way about his dancing... that he's good, but not as good as Alex or Billy. A little insecurity is a very attractive thing!

10. genevieve

He doesn't seem insecure - just very aware of the opportunity and how very lucky he is, beause he is not (yet?) at the level of most of the other male contemporary dancers this show has seen, and he has gone quite far. He seems appropriately grateful, and is making the most of the opportunity.

I know people will jump all over me for this, but I think his personality a bit similar to Jose's.

11. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

This season, I've watched out of habit and lack of anything else on. I know people disagree with me, but IMHO this new format spelled the death of SYTYCD. And Nigel is going to be looking for another show in 2 years with AI and SYTYCD having viewership issues.

Of course just my opinion.

Pre-season football sucks, but the outcome of this season could be just as anti-climatic as the pre-season football game.

12. rjblue

I think Robert seems a lot like Jose in personality.

I liked the new format- but I like the idea for next season even more. We'll have them with the All-Stars after we have winnowed it down to our favourites.

Loved the opening dance- Twitch was like Michael Flatley- Lord of the Dance.

Cat's pink dress is very pretty.

Mary Murphy! I can't believe I'm happy to see her.

13. shells

shells New Member

I was pleased to see that Mary was there too. :lol:

The other thing I like about the idea of next season is that at the beginning of this season the contestants looked so unskilled next to the All-Stars. By the time they've narrowed 20 down to 10 they'll have several weeks of competition under their belts, which will a) have helped them get used to working with the choreographers b) helped them ditch the nerves c) helped them improve so that they don't look so clunky next to the professional All-Stars.

14. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I'm switching back and forth between the two. So is no one in here because a lot of you guys are getting the game instead? I was on a video chat so I missed the first few minutes but whatever. I was in NYC during last nights show and it took me forever to watch it today because I kept getting bored.

15. Theatregirl1122

Kent and Neil as one of the favorite dances but instead of being the Travis routine, it is shoeless joe? Sorry, this one just does not stand out to me.

ETA: Billy and Ade, Mad World. A much better choice of favorite dance. IMO.

16. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

My only interest in the football is seeing how the Saints look. Heresy coming from someone in the Boston area, I know. Just got the TiVo Premiere, so I've got 3 channels going. I'm about 5 mins behind on SYTYCD.

17. shells

shells New Member

Billy and Ade next. This music makes me cry every time I hear it.

18. pollyanna

pollyanna Well-Known Member

Some of us are watching the U S National Gymnastics live in one of the Other Sports threads.

I'll just be turning up the volume on SYTYCD for a select few dances, like this Billy/Ade amazing performance.

19. rjblue

And the show takes a bit of a downturn as the first favourite chosen by a judge is Shoeless Joe. Still meh.

And back up again with Billy and Ade- Mad World. Still one of my most favourites ever on the show. Billy is annoying when he isn't dancing, but mesmerising when he is.

20. Theatregirl1122

Ah, I'm DVRing the gymnastics.

21. rjblue

What was the name of that dance group- Quest? They were extremely entertaining. Jose just couldn't do the stalls and tricks that some of these guys did. Lots of Whoah! moments.

22. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Quest Crew gave SYTYCD 3 finalists. It's had several incarnations, one of which won ABDC.

23. shells

shells New Member

Yes, Quest.

Odd that Mia who slammed Adechike at every opportunity chose one of his dances as her favourite. Though, it sounds like it was more about Comfort than him.

24. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Glad to see Comfort getting some props. She's improved so much, it's great that she's getting more exposure so she can work more.

25. rjblue

Mia the Gorgelina tells Catalicious that her favourite is Comfort and Adechike-Fallen.

A nice bit of praise for Comfort and the all-stars.

Cat points out it was even better the second time. Wow. I love the finale show when they bring back the best.

26. Theatregirl1122

Yeah, I found that odd. Especially right after Nigel chose Billy when I never got the sense that he much liked Billy.

Who the heck picked Kent and Anya?

27. shells

shells New Member

Who chose this one? Cat?

28. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Yuck, the Kent/Anya salsa. If they're going to feature Anya, there were 3 other routines better than this.

29. rjblue

Anya- gasp- that woman is so gorgeous. Halfway through the dance my husband said we needed to go upstairs as soon as the dance was over.

Kent looks really tired. I can't imagine the rehearsals he's had to commit to this week. Anya must have been a bit nervous throughout that.

30. Theatregirl1122

I always wish they would give them the week off after the performance finale and announce the results the following Wednesday so that the top 3/4 wouldn't have so much to do in one week.

Robert and Dom hip hop. What a great routine.