SYTYCD 2014

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, May 22, 2014.

1. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Agreed. There were no females of color whatsoever. Is this the first time this has happened? I think it sucks.

Personally, I'm kinda bored with this season. Tanisha was excellent and I loved the Sonyah cracked routine...that was theater! Lol! Really loved it and Tanisha was excellent in that too. I appreciate Misty's critiques but a lot of what she says goes over my head. She's a little too technical and the majority of it comes off pretty negative.

But overall, meh to this season. Bring back the tap dancing group. They were effing awesome! Their performance the other week was the highlight of the season for me so far.

2. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Can we just have Tanisha and Ricky dance together ? The rest is meh :(

3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

One more week till All Stars. As long as Ricky gets Katherine or Allison for a Sonya piece, I will be happy.

4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Are we losing 4 dancers this week?

5. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Yep

6. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

I actually was speaking with one of the previous season's top ten dancers, who due to HIPPA, I cannot identify but the first thing out of his mouth was that this cast seems so "young" and mind you, he's not much older than they are He feels they all dance "young" - other than Ricky and like it's how Nigel et al did the cast this season. And the blandness. We are all waiting for a bit of excitement. They are talented kids but they just don't seem to have any polish in the least.

And Rob - yes, that clip is hilarious & so spot on!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  7. kiss-n-cry

kiss-n-cry Team Brown

Christina Applegate is back tonight as a guest judge. I enjoy her critiques and she usually brings a bit of humor to the show. I am extra nervous for tonight because of the double elimination. Serge Onik and Carly Blaney are my favorites and I want to see them make the top ten. It may have been mentioned here before, but Serge is a friend of Meryl Davis. At 26, he is the "old man" of the group and to me his maturity shows. I wish the choreographers were giving him more content in the couples dances, since he has shown in the group routines that he is more than capable.

I liked Ricky in the beginning, but his goofiness is a but too much for me (same for Rudy). I think Emilio may be a dark house and may really start to blossom soon. We shall see, I guess! Someone needs to break out and make a real impression.

8. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Just found out who got voted off tonight. I won't say who, but I will say that I am absolutely through with this show. 14 year olds-have fun!

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

First of all, I only agreed with 2 of the bottom 6 based on last weeks dances and only would have eliminated 1 of the 6. From there, the result was preordained by the choreographer pairings. Don't tell me that was random.

I liked the girl and guy group pieces.

10. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Deep breath. It's only a TV show. It's only a TV show.
    Despite the meditation, there's no way Jacque belongs in the top 10. She proved it last night with a less than crisp paso that got little in the way of critique.

11. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Could we please have So You think You Can Choreograph instead? I find them far more interesting than the dancers. I do know something about Jean-Marc Genereaux who with France Mousseau was a superb competitive dancer. I'd like to know more about some of the others: Travis, Staci, Mandi, etc. Substitute profiles of them for those idiotic clips where the dancers interview one another.

As soon as each dance is done, I can barely tell them apart. Generic goofy adolescents (yes, they're encouraged to be that way) one minute, then thrown into adult dances where they're supposed to be sexy! Schizy or what! The only ones I can distinguish are Ricky and Tenisha, solely because of hair. Yes, very good dancers but I see them as tools of the choreos rather than strong personalities who would inspire.

In spite of my rant, I'm still watching, mostly for the joy of what the choreos are creating. I think the all-stars will really juice it hope (I hope). Hilarious moment: When they announced the all-star partners, one female dancer jumped for joy before she even heard the name, one male looked as if he didn't know the name!

Christina Applegate was quite good. And I think that Cat D. really excels as host. Funny, I can't even remember the host for SYTYCDCanada but I don't think I could possibly forget Cat.

12. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Please, no more profiles of Travis! He was a contestant and he gets shoved down our throats enough - I think his choreography is always sound, sometimes brilliant, and his treacly clunkers always get a pass from the judges (although the same isn't true for other former contestant choreos).

I got home late, missed the opening and the 1st two pairs. Didn't know who was in the B6 until the end, but based on having seen the final couples dance the conclusion was forgone. I understand why they saved Jessica, even though I liked Emily more as a performer. But would definitely saved Serge over Casey.

Also, per the discussions last week around who gets saved -notice that Nigel said nothing about the audience vote last night, just that the judges were unanimous. I'm positive that if they were in alignment with the voters Nigel would have said it. So: same old, same old.

I don't remember the order, but...

Jacque/Zack - Paso
    This show's love affair with scoring pasos with hideously bombastic modern music that detracts from the dance continues. It was almost worth it to have a Rob Zombie song on national tv. I wonder how many downloads he got from the show :p Zack was decent, Jacque was not. How the hell was she not in the B6? :mad:

Emily/Teddy - Broadway
    I loved this piece! Choreo was super fun and the beginning was great. Definitely got unravelled at the end but it wasn't the total disaster Nigel made it out to be. Oh, wait...they're both about to be eliminated. Emily had the only solo (of the ones I saw) that was remotely interesting.

Casey/Jessica - Travis piece
    Jessica finally gets back on track with a contemporary piece while she's paired with another high level contemporary dancer. This wasn't as good as the first week's dance, but it was nice to see her get it together. Casey was good as well. But the tongue baths they each received were OTT. I didn't realize they were in danger at the time but FFS! Also - were they the only dancers doing solos who got reactions from the judges aired? :blah: Nigel is trying to make fetch happen.

Carly/Serge - Quickstep
    I liked this piece, and they performed it well. There were places that Carly's shoulders looked a bit hunched but she got good comments from Mary for her topline so I could be wrong. Quickstep is like the SP of old - you can't win with it, but you can definitely knock yourself out of contention. They did great but needed a different style to stay.

Valerie/Ricky - Hip Hop
    My love for Valerie has been waning, but this dance has relit that fire. Ricky did his usual great work, but this dance was all about Valerie and she knocked it out of the park. fantastic stuff, and interesting choreography. Please bring this duo back!!

Ladiez group dance, Mandy Moore
    I see what she was going for, but if she wanted to emphasize strong movement, the costumes were completely wrong. Putting the 7 of them in long silk/satin looking pink/purple pastels emphasizes (the show's/society's) paranoia about making sure that women as seen as feminine first and foremost. The result is that the dance was, as Mandy Moore feared, "pretty" instead of amazing.

Menz group dance, Travis Wall
    Whenever I'm sick to death of Travis, he pulls out something like this. Totally amazing. Possibly my favorite dance of the season. And I LOVE costuming men in long skirts with high waists. Seriously, if the women's group had these costumes (going up to cover their not-for-primetime boobies, of course), that piece would have worked so much better. Plus that would have been an interesting experiment. That ending was phenomenal.

All star pairings look like they're designed to keep Jessica and Casey in it to the end.

13. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Here's a list of the pairings along with some editorial comments. They went through it so fast, I missed a couple. Thanks mjsbigblog for the list:
    Rudy will dance with Jenna Johnson (meh)
    Jacque will dance with Chehon (there must be more than the Rudy thing for Jacque to pull Chehon)
    Zack will dance with Amy Yakima (could be fun)
    Bridget will dance with Brandon Bryant (wonder if folks will remember Brandon)
    Ricky will dance with Lauren Froderman (they wasted Katherine on Casey:mad:)
    Tanisha will dance with Ryan Dilello (set up)
    Emilo will dance with Jasmine Harper (could be interesting, Jasmine seems too tall for him)
    Valerie will dance with Ade (huh? I hope poor Ade doesn't get the usual "lift/lug/throw" choreo)
    Casey will dance with Katherine (only the choreo can doom Casey)
    Jessica will dance with Twitch (set up to get rid of her?)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  14. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

So .. Rudy/Jenna Johnson -- ballroom/latin
    Jacque/Chehon -- ballet/contemporary/maybe disco/jazz/broadway/bollywood?
    Zack /Amy Yakima -- contemporary/disco/jazz/bollywood/broadway?
    Bridget/Brandon Bryant -- contemporary/disco/jazz/Bollywood/broadway?
    Ricky/Lauren Froderman - contemporary/disco/jazz/broadway, or maybe hip hop? He already had Bollywood, and had hip hop last week.
    Tanisha/Ryan Dilello -- ballroom/latin
    Emilio/Jasmine Harper -- hip hop? or contemporary/jazz/bollywood/broadway She is tall for him so I hope they don't get disco.
    Valerie/Ade - contemporary/disco/jazz/broadway - she had bollywood
    Casey/Katherine -- contemporary/disco/jazz/bollywood/broadway
    Jessica/Twitch -- Hip hop

I'd like to see Valerie with Twitch

15. genevieve

I would hope that Bridget/Brandon don't get disco. Brandon did the absolute best disco on this show ever with the gone-too-soon Janette. It could never end well to see him do disco with someone else :drama:

For those who missed it (or just like to see it again):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKiOwJ6HnIU

Bonus Brandon clip - his amazing audition. Such power and control, and far more interesting than 95% of the contemporary solos we see on this show :swoon:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRU2O2TdgDo

16. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

He already did disco with someone else. He danced with Tiffany in season nine: http://youtu.be/-qp2rRWnK4w
    It looks pretty good. She's obviously not as good as Janette, but it was still a solid routine. No dramz.

17. alj5

alj5 Well-Known Member

18. Holley Calmes

Brandon has obviously had a LOT more training than most who audition for the show. In several genres. It shows.

19. genevieve

I remember that - didn't he do that solo later as well? Perhaps During S5 sometime? The cabriole dive that retrogrades is so memorable that I recognized it later.

Overall such a lovely, powerful dancer :swoon:

20. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Brandon is one of my all-time favs from the show. He and Janette were a power couple and I was really pissed she got voted off so early. Their disco routine was insane; they had the best Argentine tango to date; their Wade Robson jazz routine was one of my favorites; their hip hop routine was awesome...they were the shiznit for reals!

I've seen Brandon in things outside of the show. I saw him on an episode of Glee a few years back (when I still watched it) and I know he was a backup dancer for Britney Spears in her Vegas show for a while. It'll be great to see him back.

21. Holley Calmes

Brandon guest teaches a lot. I got to meet him and hang around with him for a few days about 4 years ago. He taught hip hop at a regional festival I attended. He is absolutely adorable, sweet, unaffected....or at least he was then! Have some photos of him somewhere..... Twitch came the next year. Met him too-nicest guy in the world. And a really, really good teacher.

22. Holley Calmes

OK-is nobody watching? I just got back in from a board meeting and missed it. Not that I'm watching it....or would .... :) Just curious who got kicked off.

23. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

bridget and emilio

and tara lipinski's hair really wanted to be at my senior prom

24. genevieve

I had rehearsal tonight so missed it - and I'm going to miss the next 2 weeks. Perhaps it's just as well since this season is so disappointing.

Any good dances tonight worth catching up on later?

25. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

I missed most of it, but recorded the show and will have to see it later. Holley and genevieve - darn it. Love your commentary.

I was surprised that Ricky's performance did nothing for me. Loved Katherine and Casey; I think Katherine is Wonderwoman. I also loved Cheon and Jacque.

26. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Tanisha and Ryan did an argentine Tango which I loved.

Rudy and Jenna did cha-cha which bored me. As always, Jenna tried much harder for chemistry with the camera than with her partner.

Emilio and Jasmine had a great hiphop, but he was done in by last week.

Oh, and Nigel announced that Sonya will be choreographing for Martha Graham's company.

27. Holley Calmes

Bridget??? Damn. Now they have officially thrown off all the people I liked. I'm sure we'll watch if Casey and Katherine were partners. Richard has a thang for ole Katherine, and I don't blame him. Casey is the last male left on the show that isn't a clone of the others. Sure, Ricky is tricky, but they all seem to be so similar I can't tell them apart. Maybe because I am not inspired to pay that much attention. Will watch for Cheon, too. So see-I can't stay away even when I want to! :)

28. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Tanisha and Ryan's Argentine tango was really good, but probably not as great as the judges said. Emilio and Jasmine's hip hop was really good. Casey and Kathryn were super glamorous and danced very, very well. Tyce must hate that Spencer Liff claimed the Broadway domain and so totally outdoes him. Jacque and Chehon were lovely, but he's clearly so much better than she is. Dance of the night for me was Zack and Amy. I would have been wrecked if he was the one going home. Ricky gets all the pimping, but Zack is the dancer of the season.

29. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Agree on most of what you posted. I was a bit miffed that no one called Jacque out on the first lift. She either missed her weight transfer or missed the takeoff point as Chehon had to struggle to save it and get her in the air. Damned he's strong!

30. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Not a banner night of dancing imho. Zack's number was the best. Ricky and Casey were good. Rudy not so much. Emilio's number was not interesting so even though I really like him and his dancing he would have been sunk in the voting last night if last week hadn't already done him in. Why can't we get rid of Rudy? PLEASE

It was the same story for Bridget - really bad number - disco/bollywood - just a mess. She would have been going home for sure next week with that if she wasn't already voted off.

The ladies didn't really do anything for me tonight. Best of the bunch I guess was Jessica, but probably only because it was a fun number. I was definitely a Bridget fan so sorry to see her go. I was not sure why Tanisha and Jacque got dances tailor made for them while Valerie got a real dud of a program, costume, etc. I don't think Valerie is the best lady but that number was done to make her look bad imho. Tanisha was not a stand out for me in her own genre. Jacque looked much better in her own genre and I think that was her best dance of the season.

So I think they really set up Valerie to go home. I think she was the only lady to garner any criticism from the judges and she had a crap number. I would like to say that Rudy was the guy they set up for a fall but unfortunately I think he has way too many teenybopper fans on board and will be there until the end. Also not understanding the big praise from the judges. Perhaps they don't want to look stupid when he wins it all or for the sake of the "integrity" of the show they want to make it look like he is a reasonable choice to win?