SYTYCD 2014

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, May 22, 2014.

1. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

wouldn't he have had the ability to veto that "secret"?

2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I don't mind Rudy. I don't think he'll get that much work after the show due to his body type, but he can stay a while longer.

Lacey seems to have joined the Peta school of beauty. Why look 25 when you can look 40?

3. love skating

love skating Clueless American

I was not as impressed as the judges were with the V Waltz or Rudy... I was impressed and threw most my votes to Casey!

pixie cut and (deleted member) like this.
  4. genevieve

that's being kind

5. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Just went to Step Up 5 and with Twitch, I had the pleasure of seeing Cyrrus ! And Jaja is in the movie too, meaning that's probably a good thing she's not on SYTCD ;)

6. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

Have any message boards filled twop's place?

7. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

A lot of TWoP people migrated to previously.tv when the announcement was made that TWoP would be closing.

8. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

Thanks! I forgot how much I enjoyed lurking there during SYTYCD.

9. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I hate that TWoP is no more. loved reading about some of my other fave shows as well....and going back in time a few years like with "Deadwood." Previously.tv?

10. genevieve

Talk about dragging out an episode - could have easily chopped a half hour off tonight's show. Since we're losing 4 dancers next week, will we have hour long episodes starting in August?

Opening number: Mandy Moore neo-'80s nostalgia

Valerie/Ricky - Bollywood, Nakul
    This partnership is coming apart at the seams...all the other couples left have good to great chemistry/connection and these two seem to be drifting further apart. There are plenty of examples of pairs with uneven technical levels that still work, but this isn't one of them. Ricky was all intensity and crispness in his movements, Valerie followed along well but they weren't dancing together.

Bridget/Emilio - Contemporary, Travis
    These two, for instance, are very well matched. She's fearless, he's fearless, they both just GO for it. That inverted star lift!! :eek: :cheer2: Great!

Tenisha/Rudy - Hip Hop, Dave Scott
    The costumes, music and choreography were a shitshow, but I love them together. Excellent working together in the performance as well as the steps. How the hell did she end up in the B6?!?

Jessica/Marcquet - Fox Tro, Dmitri
    Nice to see a sooth and elegant dance, and they both had some nice moments, but there were times I noticed total Deividas Stagniunas face from him. Partnering was still a little shaky (better than last week tho). In case anyone was confused about who was leaving tonight, Nigel dissed Dmitri's Fox Trot for not being enough Fred n Ginger on top of Mary's harsh words.

Carly/Serge - Contemporary, Mandy Moore
    I still love their calm chemistry. This was more of a showcase for her - which worked, because she is not as memorable as he is, but she's a great dancer. That unassisted, controlled hinge at the end :eek: :respec: Loved this, love them.

Emily/Teddy - Salsa, Oksana & Jonathan
    Kudos to the editors for pairing Jonathan saying "one of them is going to go down" with a rehearsal clip of the upside down split hold :lol: :grope:
    She slipped in the beginning but held it together, at least one missed hold, the longer this goes on, the slower and heavier it gets. She looks like she's just trying to get through it, he's got the legs and energy but I don't think I saw any hip action. All becomes clear when they reveal she dislocated her shoulder earlier. Good for her for gutting it out but this was by far the worst performance of the night.

Jacque/Zack - Jazz, Sonya
    I loved the intensity in the beginning, and Zack disappeared into this...but I got distracted by the song and didn't fully pay attention to the 2nd half :shuffle:

Brooklyn/Casey - Hip Hop, Wildebeest
    Hmmm, back at the Top 20 show Nigel said the only one who could tap besides Valerie and Zack was Teddy, but apparently Brooklyn does too? Or maybe she only took enough classes to know she doesn't tap :lol: They both got the steps fine (she more than he), but that was the single least gangsta dance ever. :scream: oh dear.

Very amused that Nigel called out Misty for picking on the girls way more than the boys. So true!

FLOVED the Sonya Tayeh mini group piece (Bjork music). I know I'll be watching that one again, and Nigel was right that Tenisha had a star turn there. The Travis piece had some nice/impressive moments (the stand up lifts) but was otherwise boring.

Based on everything, the right people were eliminated - Brooklyn and Marcquet. Casey has got to be quaking in his boots because he's paired up with the Black Widow next week. No one has escaped her (Jessica's) partnership yet!

11. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I loved Marcquet :(

12. Holley Calmes

I loved Marcquet too! Haven't seen the show yet, but I know my husband will be sad as well. But as long as Serge does well, I'm good.

13. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I think the right people went home based on the body of work. I loved Marcquet, but he seemed insecure a lot of the time and that's not what Nigel & Co like to see from their guys. Brooklyn is just forgettable. I think Nigel has surprised himself about Tanisha. In week one, I thought he was looking for excuses to throw her under the bus, now he's her biggest fan.

I'm still Team Ricky. If he can drag Valerie through next week, we'll get to see what he can do with an All Star.

14. genevieve

The season is certainly shaping up for a Tenisha/Ricky win - they are just far, far beyond the others. I almost think Ricky got paired with Valerie to give the other guys half a chance. Carly and Bridget are very talented dancers, but they aren't memorable. When Bridget was mentioned in the B6 I had no memory of a dancer by that name. Loved her performance, but as I'm typing this I can't remember what she looks like other than being a small dancer with a brown ponytail.

There are way more distinct personalities and looks among the guys, but no one has Ricky's level of talent and he's got an interesting personality too. Emilio seems like the most likely contender, as he is fun, makes good tv, is really good at what he does, and he seems to be working very hard to do well in other styles. Serge has the talent but isn't connecting with the audience for whatever reason.

15. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

There will only be one winner this season -- not separate male and female winners.

How is Tanisha being set up for a win when she's paired with Rudy, who is kind of inept technically? She was already bottom six after a dance in which she shined -- Broadway. I think she's being thrown to the wolves.

Completely pissed that last week and this week Nigel made a point of telling the dancers he cut that they were the bottom two based on viewer votes. Since when did he ever care about viewer votes. Season after season he has protected dancers he liked, including some it was clear the public didn't particularly care for. In some cases it was warranted, like Jenna, and others it wasn't, like Ryan. He went so far as to change it from no saves after top 10 to saves all the way to the semifinals. Now, in season 11, he's finally got a clue that the audience wants to see its collective opinion recognized? It felt like he was rubbing the Marcquet and Brooklyn's faces in it.

16. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I won't be surprised if Carly is the last female dancing. In the sea of brunettes she is the one who's standing out.

17. genevieve

:cheer2: YAY!!!

I don't think she was set up to win, but she's so much better than the other women. And Nigel & Co certainly did a bunch of pimping on her behalf last night (she earned it, but it was noticeable). I think Nigel realized he backed the wrong horse with Jessica, who has never lived up to the promise of her first week (paired with Ricky) and is trying to make up for it. Tenisha certainly could end up eliminated early, but I hope not.

I don't think anything has changed in their selection process - the judges will still save who they want and go with the audience vote when it is handy or doesn't matter to them. or, as I suspect was the case last night, when they are eliminating someone but they don't want to own their decision. Going with the audience vote means they don't have to defend their reasons. Not totally sure why Marcquet would fall into that category, but perhaps it was because of Brooklyn, whose performance last night was decent. Whatever the reason, I thought Nigel was distancing himself from the decision rather than rubbing their faces in the audience vote. Still obnoxious, though.

18. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I think Tenisha and Zach had no place in the bottom six and I 'me wondering if it has to do with the fact that their respective partners are the couple behind the scenes and people voted so they could see the couple behind the scenes on screen as a dance team.
    I feel for Jessica and I have to admit I am still rooting for. I think she seems jinxed as she has had a new male partner every week. And other then the first week her dances haven't been that great. The flying carpet one was OK. But not great IMO I. Her face is yes an issue but funnily enough I don't notice it at all in the group dances and she always stands out at least to me. The choreographers also often put her in the front.
    I agree the guys are better this year.
    I like all the girls. Jessica is still my fave and I think a very good dancer. I also like Bridget and don't get why she isn't being voted for. But they are all a bit bland in personality. Valerie and Jacquie are dynamic but I think personally Valerie is the worst of the girls left. She's adorable but that doesn't make her a great dancer. I even found her tsp lacking if I'm honest. She had terrible posture, and flailing arms. Zack far out danced her. But she's cute and has a charming personality and is dancing with Ricky. So I expect final four. I think the judges are being way too kind to her.
    I wasn't in love with. Tenisha but she is growing on me big time. She's by far the most well rounded.
    I expect to see Emily and Casey to go home next week. Most likely with Bridget and possibly Serge, although it should be be Teddy IMO.

19. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

I wasn't surprised to see Marquet gone just based off of the judges comments last week. They were really hard on him last week too. I can kind of see why the audience isn't connecting with Serge. He's talented but he kind of bores me. I don't feel like I'm seeing anything different.
    I'm also finding the girls kind of dull this season. The guys just seem to be more dynamic personality wise.
    I do think Valerie is being helped a lot by her pairing with Ricky. Her weaknesses are becoming more apparent week by week while Ricky just seems to be thriving.

I'm feeling like this season is less interesting than last season. There were way more fun and interesting dancers last year. Also why have we had the same guest judge so many weeks in a row?

20. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Because viewers complained so much that the guest judges last year had no dance cred? Misty brings the cred. I know he's not everyone's cuppa, but I miss Adam Shankman. A panel of Nigel, Mary, Adam, and Jesse T-F or Christina Appelgate would be my dream team.

BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.
  21. pixie cut

Marlene is on the new AfterBuzz. She said how much the dancers appreciated Misty's actual technical critique.

22. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

23. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

^^ This! Love Shankman and JTF.
    Cannot stand Misty. She is so pretentious. The first week she was on, she completely ripped on all of the female dancers and gushed over most of the guys. It's gotten a little better, but not much. She can leave now 😛

The week with Jason Derulo was utterly pointless. He was TERRIBLE.

There's some good dancing this season, but not much star quality. Most of them are very forgettable.

24. genevieve

I like the consistency of having a guest judge with real credentials for more than one week. Also, it's nice to see someone with a different technical background to balance out Mary (who used to give far more technical critique about ballroom than she does now, although she still whips out the knowledge from time to time) and Nigel (generalist). They've had far more hip hop expertise in previous years, but overall this season seems to be diminishing the hip hop emphasis.

25. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

My thing more than anything is that Misty seems to be saying the same things every week. It would be nice to have someone new. They could even get Jenna Elfman back. She has the dance cred and is less annoying than Misty is. Or just bring back Adam Shankman.

26. pixie cut

In past seasons there has been considerable ethnic diversity among the contestants. This year, two black males, both of whom are gone before top 10. No females of color. Maybe Emilio is Hispanic and Rudy did say he's Latino. This is the whitest cast ever. Most of the girls are forgettable. Seriously, send three girls and only one guy home and work it out in all-star partnerships. It is a total disappointment after last year, which was such an interesting top 20 and an incredibly interesting top 10.

27. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I agree.
    It's weird. I do think that over all this is the best top twenty in terms of skills. But yeah the personalities are lacking a bit.
    And I haven't found the dances all that great either. The group dances have been the best.

Usually there are two or three routines an episode I really like or love. And now it's become more of one.

However I absolutely love the idea of the two group numbers they did this week. Although in some ways it puts some of the dancers at a disadvantage when they aren't feature like say Ricky, Carly and Tenisha were.

I think Ricky is running away with this whole thing.But my rookie raised an interesting point. He just finds a lot of the male contestants more "boys" then men. In that they are quite young and in some ways immature. Serge is the most mature. But yeah sometimes it feels like a bunch of kids dancing up there. Rudy too is a bit youngish and boyish. I like him. But I do miss dancers like Robert, Alex and. Danny and even Aaron from last season.

28. pixie cut

Ricky has a distinctive personality along with outstanding technical skills.

Alex and Danny were both professional dancers who'd been in prestigious dance companies before the show. That is unusual for contestants on So You Think You Can Dance.

Aaron was a rare man among boys. The show has skewed younger and younger as it's progressed. I've grown used to that, but I cannot embrace a virtually all white cast. That is boring and sorry.

29. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

I just can't seem to get on the Tenisha bandwagon. I don't find her dancing appealing at all and maybe it is because with her short legs she has a hard time delivering a body line that is appealing to my eye. I was kind of hoping she would be gone this week. But frankly I'm not crazy about anyone on the cast so far and usually by this time, I am.

I liked Misty alot the first couple of weeks but she is starting to repeat herself alot. I do like her dance cred and especially happy she is a ballet dancer.

Still haven't seen any dancers I like better than Danny and Allison in all these seasons!!!

30. Holley Calmes

There will never be another Danny, for me. We watched the show tonight, and I adored the Travis bed number and thought Bridget was phenomenal in it. I adored all the group numbers, especially the last 2 and actually enjoyed the Sonya piece best-just personal opinion. Yes, much better guys than girls this year. I can't seem to remember more than 2 or 3 girls by name. But maybe because of my advanced age..haha..I actually prefer the more mature guys. Serge might not appeal to teens, but he appeals to me, and he doesn't have to stand there and mug and act silly. Teddy is silly, but somehow it works for me-maybe because he's so tall, and he's a dynamite performer. Ricky should win. He doesn't strike me as immature as much as the other boys who all seem to be alike. They are boys, and they do well, but Serge, Teddy and Ricky are my faves. So sorry about Marquet, too. Loved him. I actually like this year better than last. I didn't even watch the end of last year. I knew Ficshun should win and he did-he was adorable. But I can't even remember anyone else from last year who was on it.

BTW - I don't blame Misty for ragging on Jacqui....is that her name-the remaining ballerina? She's NOT VERY GOOD. She just doesn't look like a ballerina to me at all. Sorry. I'm going to go with Bridget. I also thought Brooklyn looks like Amy Adams, and while I agree it was her turn to go, I liked her better than some others still on.