SYTYCD 2014

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, May 22, 2014.

1. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Yes, Nigel has said many times during elimination that they talked to the choreographers and took that into account. I remember him taking off on Danny, Nathan Trasoras, and I think Jess when the "attitude" was not evident in the performance shows. The only time I saw attitude in the performance was when Nigel commented on their attitude and they were a bit taken aback. There must have been something going on in the rehearsal room.

2. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

With those three, I think Nigel was more referring to their attitude or demeanor on stage. In Danny's case, this mostly happened during his initial audition and maybe during Vegas week. Only once during the series did Nigel really speak to Danny about dancing all out and that was when he did a "dance for his life" that Nigel was underwhelmed by.

Since season nine when the results show stopped, I think Nigel has spoken to the choreographers in greater depth about attitude and work ethic. Those discussions have been reflected in the eliminations. He told one dancer last season that the choreographers said she was too timid and he told another that she forgot the choreographer's critique moments after it was given. Spencer Liff said during an appearance on AfterBuzz that the choreographers all fought for Jenna and MacKenzie when they were bottom three because they were such hard workers and so capable.

3. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Finally saw the last show last night, and I must say I really liked Serge. He has a distinctive look, has great presence and he's very masculine, which is nice since so many of them are such, well, youthful boys. Ricky continues to awe. Desmond Richardson huh? OK. Trying to remember any of the girls, but can't. The one who left looked like a Bond Girl from 1965. But boy, she was gorgeous! Really not a SYTYCD type though.

4. lefeury1

lefeury1 New Member

A good place for spoilers is IdolForum sytycd. It appears that Lacy Schwimmer will be choreographing for the show tonite. Lots of speculation that she will choreograph for Serge and Carly but no evidence to confirm this. Her brother Benji was the one that choreographed the WCS that drew heat from Nigel. Lacy is known to choreograph pieces that are edgy and relevant.

5. pixie cut

According to Kristyn Burtt, Lacie is choreographing a Viennese waltz. Sasha Farber assisted her. No clue who the couple is.

6. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Amazing group routine to open. One I'll rewatch.

Cat looks very elegant. Mary's hair looks like she just woke up from a nap.

7. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I loved the opening hip-hop by Zack and Jacque. It gave me all the warm fuzzy feels.

8. slicekw

slicekw Dancin' the night away

it was a great opening number. I like the big numbers with interesting movement plus good mini-solos.

9. Holley Calmes

Any word on the bottom 6?

10. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

Stanley, Emilio, and Teddy for the guys, and Jourdan, Bridget, and Emily for the girls.

11. Holley Calmes

Thanks! Glad Serge escaped this week.

12. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

The judges are overpraising Teddy and Emily. I thought this Tyce number was very generic, except for the lovely Nina Simone music. Is this foreshadowing them being safe from elimination?

13. TanithandBenFan

14. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I was confused by the comments, until they talked about them being in the bottom. They did a good job, but I wasn't mesmerized.

I also felt underwhelmed by the jive.

15. TanithandBenFan

Were you thinking about Charlie and Sharna like I was? ;)

16. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Maybe :shuffle: :lol:

This waltzing girl's skirt needs its own zip code when she twirls. :scream:

17. TanithandBenFan

I wish Valerie's dress had less whickety-whack and volume. I felt like it was blocking me from seeing Ricky.

18. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I can't look away from that thing on her head.

19. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I loved the dress but would have preferred less under the skirt so not as pouffy.. I wasn't that impressed with Ricky even though my fav - he's not ballroom dancer but impressed with Valerie

20. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Carly and Serge doing hip hop. This should be interesting.

21. TanithandBenFan

It lost my attention quickly. I wasn't a fan of the concept.

22. 4rkidz

I kind of liked that.. Carly was better than Serge though..

23. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I was unconvinced at first, but I thought it got stronger at the end.

24. 4rkidz

Rudy was excellent doing the broadway.. Tanisha to me not as strong

25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Haven't there been skeleton numbers on this show before? Pasha/Lauren?

I liked Bridget less than Jourdan this week, but I wasn't connecting with Jourdan either. I wanted to see more of Stanley, but I didn't want Teddy to go after his performance tonight. Didn't want Emily to go at all.

I liked Brooklyn the least.

Rudy won votes tonight between his performance and his crush.

26. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I don't get the Rudy love.

I didn't think the hip hop was anything special.

I was over Tyce years ago. He's really boring.

My little niece and nephew would have loved Valerie's dress. It's so princessy.

This show is not very suspenseful. Nigel is too transparent. I thought based on Nigel's overly harsh comments to Stanley and Jourdan last week that he would send them packing this week.

27. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

28. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Other than the group number and the closer, I felt underwhelmed by the choreo this week. At least Nigel's figured out that Tasty Oreo can't be trusted with a Broadway piece.

I'll miss Stanley.

29. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I think Nigel was PISSED that the word's out about Marcquet's hip-hop experience. You know he doesn't like it when dancers pull back the curtain and tell people they know more than "their" genre.

Already over Rudy. It's just.too.much. and I don't buy it anymore.

Valerie is going to ride Ricky's coattails a long way, and there is something extremely appealing about their relationship -- it's almost brother/sister-like but there seems to be real affection too.

I want to see Carly and Casey dance together.

30. pixie cut

Let me throw this out there -- What the heck did Lacey Schwimmer do to her face?

I've been over Rudy since his audition. I totally thought about Charlie and Sharna's jive, which was clearly a world above this one. Loved Ricky in the Viennese waltz, Valerie not so much. It's clear Marcquet is trained in way more than just ballroom. It's not like revealing Joshua and Russell aren't really "untrained, street dancers." ;) Jessica is onto her fourth partner in as many weeks. Hoping Marcquet survives.