SYTYCD 2014

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, May 22, 2014.

1. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

WOW. Add me to the Ricky Fan Club.

2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

That was a pretty good show although I didn't get all the tongue baths for the choreographers. Both the Bonnie Story and Mandy Moore pieces were pretty generic.

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

the voting is just pics of their faces. i'm old! and there are a thousand contestants.

4. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Malana/Marcquet - Samba, Louis Van Amstel
    Emilio/Teddy - Hip Hop, Christopher Scott
    Jessica/Ricky - Contemporary, Sonya Tayeh
    That's all that I remember now. And that was ... an amazing FIRST night:eek:

5. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it yet, but the first nights are always amazing. It's what happens after that that has made me not as much a fan as I was.... (Amy who? Yawn.)

6. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

The pieces must have really seemed indistinguishable because Mandy Moore didn't choreograph.

7. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Whoops, Stacey Tookey. I used to love Stacey's work, but it's gotten so "comp" lately that I usually fast forward unless the dancers are amazing.

8. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Is anyone else watching?

I love Cat, but did we need to see her throw out that pitch?

9. my little pony

im sure the kids find churchill comforting

10. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I'm okay with Fox using their show to promo whatever they want, as long as it stays on the air.

11. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I liked the choro better than the dancing with that one. Tanisha was much better than Rudy though. He did not take enough space somehow.

12. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember who are in the bottom 6?

Nevermind --wikipedia's updating as the show airs.

Oh -- thanks mlp!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  13. my little pony

brooklyn, casey malena, nick, serge jordan

14. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I know Serge is in the bottom.

Weird deja vu seeing contemporary to Latch. And it's funny that it's Serge dancing to it, given his connection to Maks.

pixie cut and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Last week, my least favorite were Rudy, Casey, Nick and Bridget, Brooklyn, Jourdan.

Just watching my tape this week now, but wow Tenisha. She was my 4th least favorite in her own style last week, she's really good this week.

Not sure I like Ricky with Valerie, but that is ok because Travis made sure I only watched Ricky. She faked it pretty well.

16. Holley Calmes

So is someone going to tell us who got cut, or are we waiting for our west coast friends to not have spoilers? Fine with me-I'm just waiting to go to bed! Guess we'll see the entire show from tonight on playback next week....

17. my little pony

it was malena and nick

18. Holley Calmes

Thanks! I can go to sleep now. I feel bad for both..I liked them.

19. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Overall, I was really disappointed with the dances tonight.

The only dances that really stood out to me were the first Sonyah routine, the African jazz routine, and the tapper girls (they KILLED IT!). Aside from those, I was kinda bored.

I thought the tapper girl did good in the Travis routine and the phone routine was cute too, but they still didn't stand out enough. The tango was nice but didn't have enough fire, I love Jess but that routine she was in was boring...

Ugh, hopefully there will be better dances next week. :(

20. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

I was ok with the bottom two being sent home... An I agree a little under-whelming tonite

21. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Sorry guys - a little late with this reply -

So personally I really enjoyed this concept of letting the dancers shine in their own genre for the first week. I think it was by far the best way to introduce us to the competitors. In the past many dancers got stuck with stuff so far from their strengths that they didn't last long enough to show us what they really could be with stellar choreography. The only number I saw that I didn't really love was the ballet number, and I like ballet - just not these 2 in this number.

Unfortunately I never did get to see Tenisha and Nick dance through the strangest set of coincidences. For totally unknown reasons our power went out with 30 minutes left in the show and didn't come back on for 45 minutes. So no biggie - I get time shift and can catch the last half hour 3 hours later. So there I am, watching and darned if the power didn't go out again - this time 15 minutes before the end of the show. Well that was disappointing but as luck would have it, here in Canada the show is repeated on Saturday night on cable network M3, though not in HD. I will be out for the evening but that's what PVR's are for, right? Well that was wrong too - "Not recorded due to cancellation by the system" - whatever that means. Then just in time I search the listing and find one more repeat Sunday afternoon. I PVR'd and watch and what the....?????? For unknown reasons the broadcast goes to commercial break after Jessica and Ricky promising us Tenisha and Nick, comes back from break and - it's Jessica and Ricky repeated then at the next commercial break it switches into the next program. Somewhere, someone just didn't want me to ever see the whole program I guess.

So on to tonight. I guess it isn't surprising that new partners and new styles led to less exciting performances. I am actually looking forward to seeing Jessica paired with Stanley. Oh and I really enjoyed Teddy tonight.

22. Simka

Simka Member

Skate Talker, you can find Tanisha and Nick's cha cha from last week on the Fox SYTYCD website and on Youtube.

23. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Tonight's show was the opposite of last week's: started strong and kinda petered out.

LOVED the top 20 dance to On The Town - everyone (that I could see) looked good in it, and very canny to have the choreographer of the show that will be part of the prize working with everyone right off the bat.

Tenisha/Rudy - Sonya Tayeh jazz
    Didn't care for the choreo, but this was a very good vehicle for them. The big moves were very well done, some of the transitions a little sticky. Maybe 1 more day of rehearsal to get comfortable with the dance and each other would have made this really shine. Agreed with Misty's comments about Rudy grounding his feet, but huge improvement from last week. Tenisha was sharp and strong - she is definitely growing on me.

Valerie/Ricky - Travis contemporary
    Her dress is fab - would make a nice skating costume. This was one of my favorite pieces - she totally passed as a contemporary dancer and there was a nice balance to highlight her strength and vulnerability and his insane flexiness. Holy crap, her abdominal control in that back arch :eek: Mary went right into Paula Abdul territory in her comments. Looking forward to seeing more from this pair.

Bridgette/Emilio - Luther Brown hip hop
    this was ok. they both did fine. she did the choreo with the perk of an aerobics instructor.

Jessica/Nick
    - Benji W Coast Swing
    I wanted to like this. Everythng felt weird - they both seemed to be holding back the whole time, maybe because of her shoulder. The music cut didn't help - started slow, by the time the song gets going it all just felt a bit behind. I want the show to bring Benji back more, but Nigel seemed mad that he gave them choreo that was too hard. But he was right - I kept picturing how great the routine would have been with Benji dancing it. Jessica's awful mugging was back and Nigel actually called her on it! Nigel was so harsh I figured right there that Nick was toast.

Carly/Serge - Sonya contemp
    that gyno move :lol: great chemistry, well matched, both looked very mature and professional out there. He's a great partner. Favorite piece of the night.

Emily/Teddy - Dave Scott hip hop
    She is personality plus! Hasn't really noticed her last week, but she was fun in the fluff and onstage. Plus, she's kind of a chameleon. Agree w/Nigel that she needed to rein in the emoting to the audience a hair and focus on Teddy, but I loved what she did in this. I'll have to take their word that Teddy did great in his own style because he barely registered.

Malana/Stanley - Spencer Liffs B'way
    Wow, they both look FANTASTIC (she reminded me of Jessica Pare in Mad Men), and the concept and choreography were excellent. But there was a disconnect (no pun intended!!) from almost the beginning. His insane hip/leg flexibility only highlighted her lack of it, and they really did look like they were performing in two separate (but awesome) dances. Nigel tore them, especially her, apart :eek: I wrote down at that point that Malana and Nick were leaving.

Jourdan/Marcquet
    - Sean Cheeseman hip hop
    she looked looser than I expected from her, but didn't get the "aggressive" Cheesman said he was going for. Once they got to the unison they really clicked though. Marcquet looked great throughout.

Brooklyn/Casey - Miriam & Leonardo Tango
    There were moments when her feet and the tension in her legs were exquisite :swoon: from the waist up I wasn't as convinced. Both of them look and dance really young - Casey managed to come across as mature but it sometimes looked like a high school dance.

Jacque/Zack - Sean Cheesman African Jazz
    props for the crotch lift :p Both of them needed to drop their weight so their legs could move quicker - they looked really tired and heavy by the end. Good recovery from Zack as he slipped near the edge of the stage midway through.

As expected, Malana and Nick were eliminated. I would have preferred to get rid of Brooklyn, but I can't really argue about sending Malana home. Nick was the only choice, as both Casey and Serge really brought it tonight. Nigel was unnecessarily rude, basically saying that Malana made it to the top 20 because she's good looking :rolleyes:. Nick was pissed. Didn't respond to Malana's commiseration pats at all. Poor Malana :(

24. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Too bad about Malene, but Nigel should know that older ballroom dancers don't get the votes. I think that was a wasted Top 20 slot that should have gone to YaYa.

25. pixie cut

I think Nick and Rudy both come off like juveniles. Nick's lack of graciousness in general and in particular toward Malene, who looked like a concerned aunt next to him, was obnoxious. Coupled with Rudy sobbing on the side. Here's hoping Rudy goes next. I get the producers' desire to cast 18 and 19 year olds, but they should have dancing chops. These two dance way younger than 18/19. More like 14 year olds. Nick looked inept in the West Coast Swing.

And sadly Malena was cast because she is pretty.

26. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I didn't mind Rudy's sobbing - their friendship was a huge part of the audition/Vegas rounds, and I loved their bromance. Interestingly, when I went back to last week, it was Rudy I figured would be in danger, not Nick.

And perhaps Malana was cast for her looks but 1) at least it wasn't (for once) because she was blonde and perky/slutty and 2) Nigel is the one who made that call, so to pull it out here was rude.

27. pixie cut

I actually liked her during the Pasadena callbacks when she was dancing outside her own style. I thought she did well in the Spencer Liff routine last night. I was most disappointed by her samba last week. It was not on a par with other Latin dancers who've been on the show, like Jenna, Witney or Lindsay, which it should be because she's several years older and more experienced. Marcquet, who is only 18, outshone her considerably. Nigel often says inappropriate or rude things. Telling a contestant her looks won't carry her is minor.

28. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

ITA. It was really rude. It also made it clear what most of us have realized for a long time. Nigel chooses dancers based on far more things than dancing, including looks.

Yeah. You can often tell who Nigel intends to boot because he's overly harsh on them during the show. To listen to Nigel, you would think that the Stanley/Malana dance was clearly the worst of the night, and I don't think it was. It might have looked like two dance, but that was at least in part due to the choreography and putting two very different dancers together. I hope Nigel isn't intending to give Stanley an early boot. Nigel often favors hip-hop dancers over the contemporary guy who isn't his favorite.

Yep. I thought a lot of it was the choreography. Plus, they're not all dancing in their own style like they were last week.

29. Holley Calmes

I've also noticed that judges (especially Nigel) make comments about how dancers behave behind the scenes. I think choreographers and others are listened to when they comment pro and con about dancers attitudes and work ethic while rehearsing. Haven't seen this last segment, but comments about work ethic and attitude have been plentiful in past seasons.

30. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

You're right. I remember seeing some post show articles that basically said that Amy and Fikshun outworked everyone else.