SYTYCD 2014

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, May 22, 2014.

1. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

So they are naming the top 20 tonight?

Have we ever had a woman in labour on the show before?

2. rjblue

Some dancers I really liked have not made the cut. I'm enjoying this speeded up version of "Vegas"- a bit less fluff/more dancing.

Public Service Announcement- shirtless Dimitri and sizzling Anya at the 45 minute mark.

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Do you think johnny is pissed Tara gets to do this?

4. Skittl1321

I started skating as an adult and my unbalanced dance training screwed me. I'm so right side dominate but have to skate leftie. Pretty much made loop impossible because my left leg is so weak. But I cannot spin the other way. I tried.

5. Skittl1321

I hate the group dances. Self choreographing a group isn't required during the main show. It's a silly requirement.

Oh, and shocking twist Nigel. They all get to stay? Everyone saw that coming... Sucks to be part of a group that did poorly and did get sent home apparently loyalty was all that was necessary, not dance skills.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  6. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

I really hate the group dances, also. I thought they all looked a mess this time. A lot of the dancers I liked didn't make the cut. Do not get the love for the trailer park blonde ballroom girl. She reminds me of a stripper-pole dancer. Funny when Nigel asked Irina Dvorenko "you don't like anyone, do you?" Ha! I don't think people can pull poor technique or tricks over on that woman. Take one of the worlds great (now retired) Prima Ballerinas, well, she knows her stuff. Tara, surprisingly, was not a pushover, either. There was no slobbering over people (except with Nigel & Mary) and yes, his dirty old man act is getting really pervy at this point.

7. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I'm living for Ricky this season. He's already giving me Alex Wong and Jakob Karr vibes.

8. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I liked the accelerated Vegas week, but after two hours I'm almost as tired as those poor dancers ;)

Sorry about Steven, I really liked him. Deserved to go, unfortunately
    Not sorry about Mary Poppins

WTF is the show's hard-on for Jessica ("jazz" dancer who seems to be auditioning for a second rate strip club with every dance) and Tenisha (ballroom girl we saw at the beginning doing a solo in a tutu)? Don't care for or about either of them.
    Not a lot of hip hop this year, is there? I only noted Emilio and someone named Teddy. OTOH, looks like there is a LOT of ballroom this year, which should be interesting.

Gutted about Jaja :wuzrobbed and Johnny Wax :fragile:

Happy about Ricky, Valerie & Zack (tap dancers), Nick and Rudy, Marquette and Brooklyn, and I think Jackie (although IIRC she got no airtime tonight).

Tara had some great expressions tonight, often off on the side of the screen. The look on her face after the first group of Sonya's jazz routine was priceless.

9. alj5

alj5 Well-Known Member

Agreed!

10. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'm on team tap and team Marquette! They've got some good folks in this group. I think Jessica may stay around a while, but Tenisha is a good candidate for a top 16 elimination.

I can't wait to find out who Nigel throws under the bus with a bad pairing!!!

11. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Actually, I think teens and tweens will love Tanisha. She's not super pretty. She's a hard worker. She's decent at all the genres.

It's going to be very interesting to see who's the first to go.

12. genevieve

I forgot to mention that weird floppy fish thing Ricky did at the end of his final solo - super freaky but also very cool.

And as always, I feel bad for those who got into the top 20 without much or any pimping. Mostly a bunch of contemporary redshirts, but still. We saw so much of some folks who didn't get in, I'd like to see something from these people before they are thrown to the mercy of a million tween girl (and us)

13. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

ITA about Jessica. Every year there's always one person they pimp ridiculously who bugs me to no end (last year it was Jasmine). I'm hoping she tones down the stripper girl face.

I'm sad we didn't get to see more of Jourdan during L.A. week. Her audition brought me to tears. I'm excited to see what she can do in the competition.

14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Can anyone discern any "favorites" yet?

15. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I wonder who is this year's Jenna? The one who will be cast to the wolves by viewers nearly every week only to be saved by Nigel week after week after week.

16. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

ITA, ITA, ITA, ITA.

I think I like Ricky and Marquette. Not totally sure, but I think so. Maybe a couple of others, but I was quite surprised at some of the choices (like Dancing with Dead Dad girl).

17. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Wasn't going to watch this year but Richard insists. I have no favorites and can't remember but 4 or 5. Richard likes the young black ballroom dancer-tall thin guy. I'm hoping the 2 ballerinas will do well. Like the boy from Miami. The contemporary girl with the long blonde hair who had to dance for her life was just skanky. I bet Nigel loves her.

Yes, my absolute favorite part of the entire show to date was Nigel's saying that to Irina. I can jolly well imagine what she thinks of all this, and I am wondering what they paid her or what she's getting in return. What would I give to be a fly on the wall as she lets go of her thoughts out loud to whomever. That would be fun.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  18. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I LOVE the black tall ballroom guy and Jenna's boyfriend to pieces. I love the ballerinas, and one of the guy who reminds me a lot of Alex ... But that's all I can remember :(

19. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Jenna's partner (bf?) didn't make top 20.

As for what does Irina get from being on the judging panel -- money, pop culture recognition, media profile, TV time, press and money. While she may be a super star in ballet, the average person doesn't know her. This was her opportunity to increase her public persona.

20. Holley Calmes

But towards what end, Pixie Cut? I don't disagree with you. I just wonder what she's up to? What can a superstar ballerina DO when she retires besides teach, coach, choreograph or work in the front office of a ballet company? Of course in theory she can do anything she wants. I don't know and I'm not arguing at all. Maybe she wants to be an actress....she is certainly stunningly beautiful. It's just interesting.

21. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I saw it as a strategic move to increase her name recognition. "SYTYCD judge to conduct master class at NameYourComp." I think that increases the session price by a factor of 2 or 4.

22. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I really like Ricky and Marcquet, but the dancer who blew me away in auditions was Stanley. He's only 19 and he reminded me a lot of a very young Desmond Richardson, because of his height and long lines. He didn't get much coverage in LA, but I'm really looking forward to seeing him in the live shows.

Found this video of him on YouTube.

23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

ITA, that was a riot.

24. Holley Calmes

Not at "Name Your Comp." Only at the highest level ones. She's too stellar a name (at least right now.) But yeah-maybe for that. She certainly is absolutely gorgeous. I saw her dance Nikia in La Bayadere with ABT at Lincoln Center a few years ago-speechless. How I wish I lived closer to NYC!!!!

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  25. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

oh my gosh

i'll be up all night making a ricky t shirt

26. rjblue

Yeah. I've finally found someone I love as much as Allison. That was entrancing.

27. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Finally caught up on the DVR. Add me to the Ricky fan club. I think this is the first one I would rewind and watch again.

ETA: Of course it's Sonya Tayeh choreography. Wish they could get more like this.

28. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I'm also a definite Ricky fan. Stanley too. Their dances were my favorites tonight. I also liked the samba.

29. genevieve

Finally, the top 20!

Very canny pacing tonight. I started the show in a bad mood and by the end I was back in SYTYCD's delicious little clutches once again. Today's lesson: choreography matters. And 8-second self-pimping makes everyone sound like they just sucked a helium balloon.

Opening group routine - was very rote. I was afraid that it was a Mark Kanemura piece and I was going to despair, after he made one of my favorite pieces last season, but it was Sonya Tayeh.

FINALLY new opening credits! Although those geometric drawings over the dancers are irritating. And WTH is up with the online only voting? :mad:

No clue who this guest judge is, but based on his comments, I'm going to call him Lil Mama.

Brooklyn/Serge - Cha Cha, Dmitry
    He is giving it everything he's got; she is working on the technique. Did she even look at him? Chemistry was wonky because of that.

Emily/Casey - Contemporary, Travis
    Travis definitely not wasting his better effort for the first week - trotting out the tired trope of "arguing couple" as a theme. Boring choreo. These two also seemed a little nervous, some transitions were skittery, but there were lovely highlights.

Valerie/Zack - Tap, Anthony Moregirati?
    Great concept, well performed, and just about ruined by the music choice. Gave the dance a frantic feel, undermined the nuance of the performance. Add in that they were stuck in the beginning, and I worry for these two :(

Bridgette/Stanley - Contemporary, Bonnie Story
    Oh goodie, another "arguing couple" piece. Is this NappyTabs tribute night?
    ok, maybe I have to take that back - this one has far more emotional impact and better integration of story + technique. Stanley is GLORIOUS :swoon: and Bridgette was right there with him.

Jacque/Jordan - Ballet, Marat (didn't catch his full name)
    I was excited that they would put two ballet dancers together but I think this did them both a disservice. One of them was clearly more precise than the other but it was impossible to tell them apart, both onstage and in the fluff. I think the choreo won't play well to the general audience and Nigel's (relatively) harsh comments will hurt them. I won't be surprised if they are both in the B3 next week.

Malana/Marcquet - Samba, Louis Van Amstel
    YES!! Both playing to the audience more than each other, slightly tentative in places, but that was smokin hot. Possibly the first samba rolls in SYTYCD history that didn't look completely awkward. His legs are amazingly fast! Looking forward to more from both of them.

Carly/Rudy - Contemporary, Stacey Tookey
    I missed whether this is another arguing couple. I think they're more in the "it's complicated" phase of the relationship. Rudy doesn't have the finesse and maturity of the other dancers but he's still quite engaging to watch. And somehow these two seem well matched even though her technique is much better. Best chemistry so far, will be interesting to see how they do with others next week.

Emilio/Teddy - Hip Hop, Christopher Scott
    Scott is not wasting his airtime on a phoned in piece (ahem, TRAVIS). This was fantastic - I was thinking this would be the piece of the night for me. I admit I didn't think I'd like Teddy but he was really good. He and Emilio also had tremendous energy, and they managed to be crisp, loose, smooth, and musical all in two minutes. Emilio got more highlights but they both had a chance to shine here.

Jessica/Ricky - Contemporary, Sonya
    :swoon:

holy crap, y'all. That was a professional modern piece. No mf competition show pony. I wish Nigel had pointed out that the music was Meredith Monk, a hugely important figure in the modern dance (and in the larger avant-garde) movement of the '60s and '70s. But that was just....mesmerizing.

And all apologies to Jessica - I'd written her off based on the audition/LA fluff but she has won me over here. Piece of the night, and possibly the season.

Tenisha/Nick - Cha Cha, Louis Van Amstel
    Poor Tenisha and Nick - they really got hosed. They had to follow that amazing piece, and then the judges skimped on comments to get the show over with. I thought they were very evenly matched and highly enjoyable to watch, but there was no way they were going to match the intensity of the previous piece.

Based on tonight's performances, the only women I'd be really pissed to lose are Valerie and Jessica, although I would bet it'll be one of the ballet girls. I really liked all the guys - Rudy was the weakest technically, but I'd guess Casey will get the first boot - performed first, an unremarkable contemporary, and I don't recall seeing audition fluff about him. Expendable.

30. genevieve

sorry for the double post, but I just went to the SYTYCD website, and the ONLY way to vote, either online or through the phone app, is to log in with a facebook account. That is BULLSHIT. No more voting for me!