SYTYCD 2014

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, May 22, 2014.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I wasn't too impressed by the girl recovering from the eating disorder.
    I wonder if she can do any style that isn't dependent on angst.

2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'll cut her some slack until we see her do Broadway. Some of these kids are very, very smart. The way to get on the show is to have a consistent persona that Nigel can sell. Her dance matched the story and she moved well. Whoever did the choreo understands how the game is played.

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

You're right about that.

What she did; she did well.
    I'll wait to see if she can perform something not connected with her story.

4. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

She already did something different. She went to choreography & was given a ticket. I was glad to see tap-dancing girl also moved on. She was adorable.

5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Season 9 Vegas week was on Ovation last night. What a great group of dancers. I hope Nigel can match that level this year.

6. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

My favorite of the night was the girl who danced to "This is a Man's World." She's absolutely stunning and the choreography was great. I loved the turns at the end. I hope she does well at the callback auditions.

I liked the bald girl too. Very unique dancing style and her legs went on for days. She'd be an interesting addition to the show.

I skipped the contortionist guy too. I think it's very impressive but I have a thing when it comes to bones popping and twisting...it makes me very uncomfortable/squeamish.

I liked the contemporary girl in black. Very unique as well.

The popper from Wichita wasn't that great to be honest, but it was awesome to see Cyrus, Fikshun and Legacy dance together. That was fun.

Really impressed with the Czech girl. It's very rare for female hip-hop dancers to really cement themselves on the show (Comfort is the only one I can think of). This girl is an animator (she's awesome) so that makes her an even rarer breed. I hope she can handle the callbacks.

The ballet couple were lovely but ITA about all of the kissing. By the third kiss I was annoyed by them.

Tapper girl was really cute. I'm glad she made it through.

Mary Poppins was really cool. It was neat to see her dance with Fikshun.

Mohawk Miley was hella annoying. Like seriously...calm down.

I do not like Justin Bieber in the least bit so being forced to look at his douchey face every week is really putting a damper on the show for me:mad:. IDK what the people at FOX were thinking. Maybe they're trying to pad their audience by attracting his fans? I really wish he'd just go away...

I thought the Breaksk8 crew was cool (weren't they on ABDC?) but I'm still cheering for the tapping girl group from week one.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  7. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Yes, Breaksk8 was on ABDC. I expect to see a lot of crews we saw there.

ETA, I agree about Bieber.

8. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I wonder if SYTYCD will make any adjustments about his participation now that every other day more videos of the Biebs saying racist things (a few years ago) pop up.

9. kwanatic

That's what I was thinking.

His fan base is probably thrilled but the people who don't know his music only know him through his public image and his public image is synonymous with trash right now. Old racist comments surfacing, peeing in buckets, drag racing, arrests, bratty behavior and just plain douchebagery...seriously, his image is dragging the show down IMO. I really hope his involvement in this season is only for the audition part and that he won't be there for the whole show. I like to watch the competition part live but if I have to sit through him every time, I'll switch to DVRing it so I can fast forward.:mad:

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i wonder if the people who are put off by it already had him on their personal ignore list and it wont make much of an impact

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I don't care that the kid is cute and that it was probably set up by the producers, but I don't want to see kids audition.

It's not even like he was a prodigy who was just amazing. He was alright.

And next year thousands of under 18s are going to show up "for experience"

BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.
  12. my little pony

no one is that cute

13. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

Okay Ballerina girl with the brother in recovery is the first dancer that has really captured my attention - Jordan I think - she's top 10 material.. unlike the ballerina from last week - this girl artistry was much better and gritty.. loved it.

14. Skittl1321

Misty Copeland!!!!

15. 4rkidz

smoking hot ballroom dancers Armin and Marlena - very sexy.. they will be fun to watch :p

16. Skittl1321

Que Sera was a fabulous music choice.

17. 4rkidz

she is amazing.. this girl was nice (dad passed).. good song choice - had to grab the kleenex..:p

18. Skittl1321

Neither of these crews seem that interesting.

19. my little pony

but, but bieber likes them? how can that be?

20. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I get a kick seeing him cross his arms to show off his tattoos.

Some great ballroom auditions tonight.

21. 4rkidz

I kind of liked the bollywood group 'wanted'..

22. genevieve

I liked the Bollywood group ok. And is the Biebs growing a mustache or did they give him a glass of chocolate milk to drink before taping?

These two hour auditions are killing me! Junkie brother girl was good, she brought an intensity that elevated her technique. Loved Armin and Marlena - way more smokin hot chemistry than the couple that was doing kissy face all through their dance last week. I thought the funky ballerina was ok, but I expected more from the ballet AND the funk after her promo reel. Really loved the dead mom guy, and I wish the slow krumper had gotten through.

Jenna's bf is a very good dancer but sorta goofy. Loved when she said they made out before every dance and he looked like he wanted to crawl under a rock. I was afraid from the preview that he was going to ask her to marry him on the SYTYCD stage - fortunately it was just Nigel asking her to be an all-star. I wonder if he just wanted to get her under contract before DWTS started (weren't the auditions several months ago?) :p

Nigel's lecherous old man act is really wearing me down.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Storm put my satellite TV out so I only caught bits and pieces. ITA with genevieve on junkie brother ballerina, her performance made up for some transition issues in her technique. Liked Armin/Marlena a lot. Missed the funky ballerina, but I didn't think she looked too great in the choreography. Liked dead mom guy a lot.

I like that Jenna will be an all-star -- I saw their intro, but missed the audition.

24. halffull

halffull Life is beautiful!

This! We said the same thing in our house last night.

25. genevieve

his schtick has been getting old for years, but some of the comments so far this season have been just......I can't even with him anymore

26. kwanatic

Misty Copeland! Very excited to see her...what an inspiration to have her on the show.

I thought the little kid dancing with Cyrus and Fikshun was really cute. For 9 years old, he's pretty good. I thought their improv dance was pretty great to say it wasn't set up (assuming it wasn't set up). I don't get the point of kids getting up there (they can't get a ticket) but I actually enjoyed him. When he met Twitch...that was really adorable. He said it was a dream come true to meet him and that it was the best day of his life. I thought that was sweet.

The girl who lost her father was lovely. Beautiful dancer.

The funky ballerina...I was more impressed by the contrast of her appearance with her style of dance than I was with her actual dancing. I think she has the potential to do a lot more but her audition solo wasn't a good as it could have been. When Beyonce's "Flawless" started playing I just knew the girl was going to kill it. I was a little disappointed. The other ballerina girl was lovely though. Still, no one holds a candle to Eliana IMO. Definitely my favorite ballerina from the show.

Jenna's partner was really good. I agree w/ Misty when she said he looks kinda goofy/boyish standing there but that he really transforms when the music comes on. I thought he was great! I was never Jenna's biggest fan. I liked her but to me she never stood out as much as the others did despite the fact Nigel kept saving her. I don't know why he invited her back as an all-star already but whatevs...congrats to her.

Loved the creature guy who lost his mom. His dancing was really different, interesting and unique. Loved his performance and his technique was amazing. To say he's been through so much he really has a beautiful spirit. He was such a sweetheart!

Loved the slow krumper guy too. It was a slower dance but he still brought the intensity and energy to it. Krumping is usually so hard and almost violent, but to slow it down and actually make it almost pretty...very different. Really enjoyed him and I do wish he'd gotten through as well.

All of the ballroom couples were on fire. I could see a number of them making the top 20.

I skipped the wacking guy and the hip hop dancer who got a heated when he got cut in Vegas last year...but I think they both got through...good for them.

I'm not really feeling the whole "dance crew" portion of the show. That said, I thought the Bollywood group was the more interesting of the two. The other crew didn't impress me much.

Ugh, Justin Bieber. I fast forwarded any time he was on the screen...his thin little douchebag mustache makes me want to punch a wall.:revenge: I honestly can't stand the kid.

Auditions wrap up next week. Bout time...

27. genevieve

Decent but not overwhelming night of auditions. Glad it's the last one before "Vegas" (yes I know it's LA...).

Mariah, jazz chick: really nice moments, but sometimes a bit rough on transitions. Pulling faces throughout, which kinda bugged.

"Silky", tap dancer-turned-hip-hop dancer: Nigel was rude to interrupt, but this guy has waited 5 years since his last audition and knew just how to adjust. No surprise that a tap dancer would be so musical, but I loved his interpretation and the tension in his body.

Love Boat jazz baby: Nigel was suprisingly hard on her. She did pull faces but not any more than Mariah did and she wasn't called out on it. Overall I found her to be all technique, wanted more warmth in her dancing.

FikShun's friend was cute but his style is too close to FikShun's, without the ability to pick up basically anything and make it work.

Sideshow - was that the Dragon House guy who flipped over essentially nothing? That was weird.

And who was the guest judge on day 1? He didn't talk a lot but he had some decent comments.

Melissa the cheerleader who can do 50 backflips in a row - no thanks. Can't believe she made it to the green mile last year.

Angelina - LOVED her! Nigel has it wrong - she did plenty of dancing, she just didn't need to be doing trick after trick after trick.

Missed the last guy and his cute son.

Apparently, the competition circuit trends this year include 1) the dramatik front drop into russian splits, preferably with some controlled rebound action. It was impressive the first time I saw it, and a couple of dancers used it well, but I feel like I saw it 20 times tonight and I think there were only a dozen dancers shown. And 2) balancing in relévé with the toes curled under, sort of going en pointe without shoes. Again - interesting at first, but boring when done over and over again. And for the love of Cat's wardrobe, can't anyone do a counterclockwise pirouette or hold their left leg up one in a while? :blah:

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

This.

My favourite of the show was Ricky. Liked the ballet girl on pointe, wish I'd seen the whole audition.

29. mackiecat

mackiecat Member

Since my kids started as skaters, they turn way better counterclockwise, but no one choreographs them in at all. Every thing is clockwise turns and right legs tilts

30. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is why I don't watch the show live anymore. I just skip to the performance. I can't tolerate Nigel's pervy grandpa crap.