SYTYCD 2014

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, May 22, 2014.

1. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

Wait, WTF does all this mean? "Gayest"? What about the hip hop makes you think about a man having sex with or loving another man?

I thought it was totally dweeby and dorky (and not quite endearing, seriously just awkward), but in all seriousness, what do you mean by "gay"?

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Is he or she an apprentice or in the Professional Division of the School? A lot of SAB alums have joined PNB because of Peter Boal.

I'm not a great fan of YAGP, but PJ Kwong interviewed Lindsay Fischer, who runs the apprentice program at National Ballet of Canada, and he said he goes to YAGP and Prix de Lausanne, and often recruits dancers who don't win, because he finds them more interesting.

Kevin McKenzie doesn't seem to know what to do with a lot of dancers, aside from buying bright, shiny new ones, but, to be fair, in an interview, Calmels said POB didn't know what to do with him either, because of his height. (Calmels = :grope:) McKenzie didn't know what to do with Casey Herd, who became a Principal at PNB before moving as a Principal to Dutch National Ballet, or the lovely Irlan Silva, who was in ABT II and performed in "Raymonda" in the Works & Process presentation honoring Frederic Franklin, or the talented Roddy Doble ended up in Boston Ballet.

For a man to get into NYCB without have attended SAB, he has to either have been a prodigy, a Principal at Royal Danish Ballet or related to Peter Martins, or very tall and necessary as a partner, like Otto Neubert. Royal Ballet training is quite different from SAB training, considering how SAB churns out terrific dancers year after year.

3. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

uhm .... did they bleep Nigel during the show? There was this weird silence/cut away to the audience when Nigel was talking about the guys? If he was bleeped, what the heck did he say (if its out there in Twitter land somewhere)?

4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Well, hip hop can look rather homoerotic (all that OTT posturing!), but this one really did.

In particular, the move at :59 - I was surprised that Nigel & Co let that one go :lol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mxWB-fLjAo

It would be hard to see that in a completely unsexual way no matter who the dancers were :lol:

I would loooooove for this show to have pieces that depicted queer love stories. Unfortunately that's not what this was.

5. alj5

alj5 Well-Known Member

Zack's routine with Aaron was my favorite tonight; but I think Ricky's going to win. He's just sublime.

pixie cut likes this.
  6. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'd be happy with either of the young men taking it. I refuse to call them boys!

7. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I'm afraid Ricky will end up like Danny and lose. Jessica is my least favorite of the four, but I can see voters giving her the win.

8. alj5

alj5 Well-Known Member

The thing about Ricky though is he has such a fun/outgoing personality, as opposed to Danny who just seemed more reserved/focused in the interviews/taped pieces.

9. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Kwanfan.....Her name is Nancy Casciano, and all I know is that she is not first company but has a contract. I'll take that! PNB is quite special! My own Artistic Director, Wade Walthall, was a principal there some years back. Nancy is lovely. Here's one of Richard's photos of her...not too long ago:

http://www.pbase.com/rcalmes/image/144512109

10. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Just read on Facebook that Danny Tidwell is getting married (this weekend I believe!) to a gentleman named David. Last name starts with a "B" but I can't recall it. I wish them the very, very best! He's still my favorite SYTYCD competitor ever...

tarotx likes this.
  11. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

12. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Just caught up on last week's show...I've been trapped by the "Every Simpsons Ever" Marathon they're running on FXX so I missed pretty much everything last week.

A lot of good routines that night. I really liked the opening number. It was beautiful. That song (from the movie "Beaches" IIRC) always makes my mom cry whenever she hears it. It was a lovely routine.

I didn't really care for Ricky and Valerie's Afro-jazz number. It was a little sloppy in areas and overall, it wasn't one of my favorites.

I love, love, loved Zack and Jessica's Broadway routine. Both of them werked that! I can't believe they made dancing on those stairs look so easy!

Jessica and Valerie's Bollywood number was meh for me...but Ricky and Zack killed that hip hop number! That one is definitely in my top 3 favorite hip hop routines of the season. For both of them to be outside out their genre, I thought they did a great job.

Valerie and Zack's number was alright. I thought it was just okay...TBH, as I'm sitting here writing this I had to go to YouTube to look up what they did even though I just finished watching it. IDK why but for me that one didn't stick.

I did enjoy Ricky and Jessica's jazz routine though. I really hate that they didn't get the opportunity to dance together more. Technically, they're the two strongest dancers this season. I hate that there's only one winner this year. What's up with that?

Ricky's dance with whoever that was (can't remember which all-star) was really lovely. I like how they incorporated her costume into the choreography. I love that it told a story. Very beautiful dancing from both of them.

I loved Jessica's routine with Robert. That one really cast a spell for me. I loved the tension and both of them really sold that. Again, they told a story and I was able to follow it. Loved it.

Can I just say YAAAAY!! Aaron!!! I love him so much! I guess I'll have to fight Jessie Tyler Ferguson for him though...that comment he made about still having a crush on Aaron and the subsequent comment about Aaron treating him weird was hilarious! Aaron was great in both routines. He's such an amazing tapper and performer I had to keep reminding myself to pay attention to Valerie/Zack. Okay, I'm done gushing over Aaron...he SO needs to call me.

Anyhoo, I loved the tap routine with Valerie. Both she and Aaron really articulated the music with their feet, essentially, speaking with their feet and I thought that was phenomenal. Excellent choreography and both of them delivered it so well.

Same with Zack and Aaron. Really great tap choreography and it was all beautifully delivered.

I think the top 4 is very strong this year and I hate that there is only one winner. If I had to guess, I'd pick Ricky for the winner. He is the best overall dancer and really hasn't put a foot wrong all season long. Plus when you factor in that the majority of people voting on this are likely female, he's the winner.

The finale should be interesting.

13. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Total rip off!

14. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Well I'm fine with the winner, but I'd have switched 2, 3,4 around.

15. genevieve

Not surprised Ricky won, but I'm a bit shocked that Zack was in 4th...but I guess I shouldn't be. The top 4 were all very good dancers, and the 2 women had very strong, and different, fan bases.

But...that finale! What a bloated mess :scream: I enjoyed seeing some dances again, but it didn't have the wow of the finales of years past - overall the choreography wasn't as memorable, and neither were many of the dancers. Re-airing audition footage of people who didn't even get into the top 20 - I don't mind when they actually bring the person on the show to perform (as they've done a few seasons), but to just show the same taped sequence we've seen is pure filler. Blah blah Enrique Iglesias. Were there really no ballroom pieces brought back for the finale? And clearly there was no effort to highlight as many different top 20 dancers as possible.

I really enjoyed the group pieces...the top 20 piece was nice (although I think Stanley wiped out at one point - I guess good that he was in the back and it wasn't that noticable?), and I loved the top 10 + all-stars piece. Was it new?

Jubak likes this.
  16. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Not shocked with 1st or 4th place, but I did think Jessica would have come in 2nd instead of 3rd. Yay for Valerie though...definitely the best female tapper ever on the show.

I fast forwarded through pretty much all of the show except the dancing. That guy from Australia was AMAZEBALLS and I liked the little bit with Jessie Tyler (he's just so damn funny). I liked the three dances Jessica was in (the one in the yellow, the one with Ricky and the one from last week) and I'm happy I got to see the Zack/Valerie stairs tap number again as well as the voodoo hip hop routine with Ricky and Valerie. I wanted to see more of Tanisha and I really wanted to see the "Broken" group number, as well as the routine with Emilio and the bed frame.

Ah well, that's over. I wonder if they're getting renewed next season?

17. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I was hoping that Zack would finish higher, but I'm ok with the results. Val is a better performer than Jessica, so I'm not surprised that she finished higher.
    I fast forwarded through a lot of last night. I enjoyed seeing the Ricky/Val contemporary piece, the one that they slammed Val on, and how both dancers handled it quite a bit differently than the first time. Some of the other reprise pieces were better this time around, those with Jessica seemed better to me. I think Rudy regressed without the influence of the other stronger guys.

18. genevieve

The piece with Rudy and Allison, that Nigel went on about being able to get her on the show thanks to the benevolence of DWTS (which he then turned around and snarked about re: all the SYTYCD almuni)? That was a crappy dance :eek: Allison is always such an exuberant performer, but that piece did nothing for Rudy (and therefore shouldn't have been chosen, as this show should be about the current contestants), and Allison just looked like she was flailing sexily. Not worth the effort to get her there.

once_upon and kwanatic like this.
  19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Too many Travis Wall pieces, mostly with Jessica. Nothing for Top 6 Jacque or Top 10 Bridget.

No Twitch? I saw someone I didn't recognize in the Top 10 plus All Star dance. A short hip hop guy with a knit cap. Not Emilio.

Seeing Carly and Serge reminded me that they should have been in the Top 10 instead of Rudy and Jacque.

once_upon and Jubak like this.
  20. genevieve

I liked that Carly/Serge piece better than the first time we saw it. I really liked them both.

Didn't mind not seeing Jacque :shuffle: And I can't remember Bridget :shuffle: :shuffle:

In the All-Star dance, was that Dominic in the cap? I was confused as well, and he seemed to have some sort of powder on his face, but the spinning on his back and highlighted position in hte dance made me think it must have been him.

21. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I actually did not mind not seeing Jacque either, but as Top 6, you'd think they'd have found a place for her. I guess it proves she wasn't memorable. Bridget I liked -- she was Emilio's partner. I thought early on that she was cannon fodder, but she grew on me as the weeks went on.

Other surprises this season:

Only one Amy Yakima All Star piece
    No Melanie Moore - I thought she was one of their favorites. I guess she is in a show.
    No Mark Kanemura :( I at least wanted more choreography from him

Maybe it was Dominic. Or the choreographer's assistant? I thought maybe he was replacing Twitch.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  22. genevieve

Ah, I knew Bridget was someone that I liked when I saw her but could not remember otherwise. I did really like her partnership with Emilio. Would have liked to have seen more Emilio (or Serge) and less Rudy last night.

Jubak likes this.
  23. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Amy Yakima was only on once this season as an All Star. Melanie Moore wasn't on at all and I totally didn't miss her. Mark Kanemura wasn't on this season and I totally did miss him. It appeared to me that there were several All Stars dancing who didn't appear this season, including Dominic, Marko and Courtney. I guess they were easy to get. Why did Allison have to catch a plane? Was the DWTS announce in New York? They usually do it in Los Angeles. Did anyone see Ricky on Live with Kelly and Michael this am?

24. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

Lovely interview in the Daily Beast . thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/04/so-you-think-you-can-dance-winner-ricky-ubeda-is-adorable-and-tired.html

25. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Ok thanks I finally got to watch both final episodes.
    I LOVED the final piece by the whole team choreographed by Dave Scott and Sonya. Loved it.