Synchronied Skating Team Names....Level vs. Name

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by FSWer, Aug 6, 2012.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Ok..as I mentioned in my Training Reports..my coach is going to be on the Haydenetes (Senior) next year. She also reminded that the Lexetes are the Junior Team of the Haydenetes. Can anyone explain a little bit about WHY the name of the Team changes with the Level of some Teams? Thanks.

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I think it's up to the team (or teams) to decide if they want the same team name for each level they have a team competing at.

3. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's for financial reasons as well. If the senior team does a lot of travelling for competitions, they might want to have their accounts separate from lower-level teams that don't have such high expenses. Having different names for the teams might make the administration easier.

4. sarahspins

sarahspins New Member

I think a lot of the time it's also just to avoid confusion between teams locally. Our local synchro skaters all belong to their own "club" which obviously has one name, and then each team has it's own name. If there were 4 teams (I think that's how many we have) all with the same name, it would get very confusing.

5. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

I'm not understanding.

6. overedge

If I understand sarahspins, there is one club that all four teams belong to. The club has one name but each of the teams has its own, different, name.

7. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

If a club has 4 teams and they all have the same name- it can be confusing. You can't put a notice on the bulletin board that says "Skater-ette" practice cancelled next week, if all the teams are called the Skater-ettes, so it is more useful to have different names for all the teams.

For clubs where all the teams skate under the same name, internally they usually call them by their level name "Senior Team", "Junior Team" etc.

8. sarahspins

sarahspins New Member

That's exactly it :)

9. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Why aren't all Teams like that? What Cub is that Over?

10. overedge

Because different clubs choose whatever works for them. There isn't any rule saying that all clubs have to name their teams in the same way.

I'm not sure what you mean, but sarahspins was the one who posted about the club she knows. So she will have to say which club, if she wants to share that information.