Switzerland Won't Extradite Polanski to the US

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by soxxy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. soxxy

soxxy Guest

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/12/switzerland.polanski.extradition/index.html?hpt=T2

2. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

No surprise there!

3. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

An article from the month of May where Polanski tells his side of the story. The original (which I don't know if it's online) was in French. I don't know if it is anywhere in English. Sorry.

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This seems like a dumb move by Switzerland. This is such a highly publicized case and now many people are aware that Switzerland wont extradite. Will they see an influx of criminals running to their country? If they extradite everyone else then it looks like favoritism because of who Polanski is.

5. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I don't know much about international law so can't comment on on the "reasonable right" but it sounds like the American justice bureaucracy is partially at fault here.

6. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

The Swiss will extradite. They have in the past and they will in the future. They're just not extraditing this particular man because there seem to be some serious questions over the actual procedure on the US side, not because he's famous.

It's not favouritism, they won't see an influx of criminals (having one of the strictest immigration policies in the world) but reading between the lines, the US has failed to follow the correct procedure and the failure to follow due process is one of the main reasons that decisions are overturned in any case.

The Swiss wouldn't have arrested him in the first place if they had no intention to extradite.

Didn't the girl in question not want anything to do with this case, anyway? Didn't she beg for the charges to be dropped?

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's rather ridiculous how he was able to freely travel all these years and then somebody decided they are going to further their career or reach some other political end by going tough on his case.

8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Yes. She's a grown woman now and doesn't have any ill-will towards Polanski.

9. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I don't really care what the reasons are that someone decided to get tough on this case. I hate, hate, hate that he is a child rapist yet gets a whole lot of sympathy, including a standing ovation at the Oscas. And is excused because he's an arteeeeeste. :rolleyes:

Seriously, is this a man who really deserves freedom:

I really don't care if the girl in question now wants it dropped to protect her privacy--that anonomity is gone anyway. It's a bigger issue than that. It really pisses me off. But then, I'd have arrested Jack Nicholson and Anjelica Houston too for aiding Polanski. They were present and offered the girl no help or assistance and were well aware of what was going on.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

Really? I never heard that before. That's disgusting.

11. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

ITA, Matryesha.

12. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

And this is a dumb post. Jen pretty much said everything I wanted to say, so please refer to her post :p

*Jen* and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Also, in most countries, he would not be liable for prosecution any more because of the statute of limitations.

And no, that doesn't mean I have any sympathy for him. I just have no sympathy for the tabloidisation of the legal system either. :p

14. Norlite

Norlite New Member

I believe he was already prosecuted, and found guilty. Wasn't he? I thought (and it was a while ago) he fled after sentencing.

15. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Anjelica Huston was at the house. Jack Nicholson was not. In the police interviews, Huston said she thought the girl was older. (I know there is the one photo of Geimler from the time where she looks young, but even the police or probation report said that the girl looked like she could be 18.) Also, from what I've read, Huston only actually saw the girl after the sexual encounter. They spoke briefly, but Geimler never said anything about what had happened.

16. reckless

He pled guilty under an agreement with the prosecutor that he would serve no further jail time. When the judge indicated that he would not accept that agreement -- and told others that he would come down harshly on Polanski --Polanski fled. There was no trial and no actual sentence was actually imposed.

17. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

I imagine he'll be able to finish his latest movie project: "Close Encounters With The Third Grade". Understand his birthday is now a statutory holiday in Polnad. Oh, there's a million of them......

18. Winnipeg

Winnipeg Well-Known Member

I got the impression that the US wanted to go forward with the case because he had made a mockery of the justice system?

Isn't POlanski the former husband of Sharon Tate who was murdered several years ago? That must have really adversely affected him.

19. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

In 1969 the 8 1/2 months pregnant Sharon Tate was one of the victims of Charles Manson and his followers. This was one of the most horrific murder spree cases in US history.

20. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

My wife was murdered so I'll go rape a 13 year old? :confused: Had he gone after Manson with an uzi, I'd understand his reaction. There's just no excuse for this.

I seriously doubt Anjelica Houston did not know the girl's actual age, and even if she didn't, and even if she was 18, how could she condone the drinking and the drugs? It would still be rape. What, she just invited Roman Polanski over and left him and the girl alone and had no idea what actually happened, or what was going to happen? I call BS big time on that one.

21. reckless

First, Huston did not see the girl until after the rape, so she could not have stopped anything. She was quoted as saying that she thought the girl could have been as old as 25 and that the girl did not act like a scared kid. And, as I said before, the investigating police officer said that the girl looked at like she was between 16 and 18.

Second, did Huston ever condone drugs? From what I've read, Huston's involvement was very tangential. She may have been at the house briefly when Polanski arrived (though the testimony is a but inclear as to whether it was Huston or the caretaker). It is clear that she was not there during the photo shoot, when Polanski gave the girl the quaalude, or they began having sex. Huston but came home when Polanski and the girl were in the bedroom. Huston knocked on the door to the bedroom, Polanski got up and opened it a crack and talked to Huston. That description makes it sound like Huston would not have seen the girl and would not have known if she was drunk or drugged. After the sex, the girl went into the kitchen where Huston was and said they spoke briefly before she left with Polanksi.

Third, as for drinking, Polanski gave the girl a glass of champagne while Huston was there. Even if Huston only thought the girl was 17 or 18, would that really be something outrageous? College students those ages drink all the time. It's not like Polanski was plying the girl with hard alcohol to get her drunk.

I am not condoning Polanski's actions, but it is easy to say with hindsight that people should have known something was wrong.

22. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Definitely. Just think about how many people said they knew that Garido was a psycho before they found out Jaycee Duggard was hidden in his backyard...yet no one did anything or even voiced this until after his arrest. Hindsight is 20/20.

The only person who could have, or at the very least should have known beyond reasonable doubt what was happening and that it was wrong was Polanski.

Ziggy - I may be wrong, but I don't think the statute of limitations applies to criminal cases where the criminal is on the run. Or to criminal cases at all, for that matter, although I'm not certain about that.

I am not and will not defend Polanski - but from a totally objective legal standpoint, procedural justice is important. Due process has to be followed, and if someone on the US side failed to do so then they killed their own case. Don't blame the Swiss - from what they are saying, the fault wasn't theirs.

23. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

There is no excuse for Polanski's behavior.

24. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I don't believe I've heard anyone excusing his behaviour.

25. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

And although I believe the legal drinking age in California was 21, in a lot of states it was still 18. So even less outrageous at the time.

26. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

I just wanted to clarify my previous post about Sharon Tate's murder. I don't think whatever grief or horror that Polanski may have felt about his wife's death could mitigate his own criminal behavior.

27. elbeep

elbeep New Member

I don't think that's necessarily true. Although she's said she'd prefer the matter not be pursued any further, Polanski has apparently never paid a cash settlement he promised. He did force himself on her after plying her with drugs and alchohol. (I read today the police speculated at the time that he probably used a date rape drug.) He kept going even though she repeatedly begged him to stop. She might not want to dredge this all up again having grown up and moved on, but I have a feeling she might just harbor a little bit of ill will, just a tad.

28. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

I thought he DID in fact pay her a cash settlement and it was speculated that might be one of the reasons she doesn't push for extradition. Also, as has already been stated, she is a grown woman who doesn't want to go through ANOTHER trial and feels as badly towards the California justice system as she does towards Polanski. It's not that she has a forgive and forget attitude at all from what I've read, she just doesn't see any point in exposing herself to yet another circus in which her family will likely be victimized yet again and Polanski will likely see no jail time yet again.

Regardless of her feelings, he was tried and convicted and escaped jurisdiction before sentencing therefore there is no statute of limitations. He decided himself that he'd served enough time and fled the country. It wasn't his decision to make, nor is it the Swiss Governments. **** You Switzerland.

29. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but it has already been stated that the US authorities did not follow the correct procedures to the satisfaction of the Swiss authorities to allow them to extradite - so don't blame or put down the Swiss just because this extrodition did not happen.

Laws are in place to ensure that certain procedures are followed to ensure people aren't unjustly targeted by over-zealous law-enforcement officers. As this is such a high profile case I'm sure the Swiss were doubly checking the steps being followed to try to get this extrodition done - don't blame them if the US screwed up. Rather say **** you US law enforcement for failing to follow the rules!!

30. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I've always liked you so I will only :rolleyes: once at YOUR dumb post. Sorry for my stupidity and that it had to interfere with your day.

Rob and (deleted member) like this.