"Swiss interviews" on Absolute Skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by reut, Apr 2, 2013.

1. reut

reut Active Member

And one more interview from our "Swiss series". This time with someone you might not associate with Switzerland actually.
    Of course, we talked about her, her skating and her judging, but big part of our interview was about Swiss skating.

Catching up with Vanessa Gusmeroli
    http://absoluteskating.com/interviews/2013gusmeroli.html

2. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Great interview! It was interesting to read about the judges' perspective at competitions :)

3. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Good to hear that Vanessa is helping to build a training structure in Switzerland. At least it's a positive start and hopefully to see it bear from in future. Would be great to more elite skaters from smaller countries. All the best to Vanessa.

4. lily

lily Active Member

I really liked Gusmeroli interview. As my biggest all time fav skaters are Sarah and Stéphane it was very interesting to get to know more about training conditions in Switzerland. I already knew that conditions are hard and parents must pay just everything until skater is a world champion. It's a wonder that some so bright talents come up like that. But it is like Vanessa says - they're geniuses. I've read numerous Stéphane interviews where he keeps thanking his parents, now I understand even better what it means.

5. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I love Vanessa and Sarah, thanks for posting! :40beers:

6. reut

reut Active Member

7. reut

reut Active Member

8. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

Thanks reut, I knew so little things about her! I'm glad she represents us

9. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

10. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

Thanks hanca! I'm pretty sure I saw this issue of nashagazeta when I was at the ambassy last may, too bad I did'nt read it. She was fun to watch today

11. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Yes, I was quite impressed. I have to admit that I didn't expect much from her because we didn't see her skating internationally for a while (except of a few B competitions which I didn't watch). I actually quite liked her today. I would place her higher but she was unlucky with starting as early as she did. Hopefully she will do well in the FS and the next year she will start in one of the later groups. Or at least she could shine at the Europeans. She was really selling her program. I think her PCS could have been higher!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  12. analia

analia Active Member

Loved Anna's program. It was pure gold and she skated with so much joy.

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

Yes, I think her PCS could have been higher too, but I'm not that suprised. I'm excited to see the FS, I didn't watch any of the B competitions of her either.
    Tough I don't have high hope, we have trouble to keep the girls for more than one season in Switzerland

14. reut

reut Active Member

15. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

Good work reut, and a big thank you! I finally came to read your interviews, had to laugh about Peter Gruetter mentioning his birthday, with Stephanes speech :rofl: It´s just great to read such an article which is not just about the sport itself but the stories behind ....very interesting :). And that picture with little Noah, super cute.....

16. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

What are you doing with them after one season? :eek:

17. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

I don't really know! At every national championship a new girl wins, goes to Euros and disappears. But I think it may be related to school obligation, as they are not that good they can't postponed college or any kind of school.

18. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I think Anna Ovcharova is there to stay. Obviously no one can guarantee that she won't get injured, but if she went through all the trouble of sitting out the season and swapping countries, it would not be worth the effort to do it just to get once to the Worlds.

19. reut

reut Active Member

Irish-Angel, glad you liked the interview. I always enjoy talking to Peter, he always has some stories from the past to tell and he has very wise remarks about things he notices.

Anna's FS was less impressive unfortunately:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfSmnCKyapk
    Nice routine, not the best skate.

Me too, I think Anna is there to stay. Of course, depends on a lot of things. One of which is that federation actually prefers to support "real Swiss" skaters more.

20. reut

reut Active Member

Tina Stuerzinger (last year's Swiss champion who went to Europeans) didn't disappear. It's just Anna was better this season at Nationals.