"Swiss interviews" on Absolute Skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by reut, Apr 2, 2013.

1. reut

reut Active Member

ioana, euler, dinakt and 4 others like this.
  2. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Thanks reut. Aren't there any promising young Swiss skaters in the pipeline?

3. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Anna Ovcharova and Salome Brunner. What a dream pairing! Anyone has recent videos with this years' choreography?

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Thank you so much, reut!

5. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, Reut! So far I only read Brunner's interview; I absolutely loved it. I wish she choreographed more for current competitive skaters. Can't wait to see Anna O.'s programs next year.

6. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Thank you, reut! :)

Me too! :cheer:

7. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Excited to see Ovcharova competing internationally again next season, I do not really care that her jump technique is :scream: (and hopefully it's improved under Grutter, who is a good technical coach) because she is so voidy and expressive :inavoid: :rollin:. I'm pulling for her to make Euros so there can be a voidy diva showdown between Glebova, Silete, and herself :lol:

8. pinky166

Also the Filipino girl, Paricheto (sp?) I think, has skated quite well at a few big events this season and is also coached by Grutter I believe.

9. reut

reut Active Member

Glad you liked the interviews. At least one more to come. ;)

Both Grütter and Lambiel are absolutely excited about one boy, Noah. Peter talks about him a bit in his interview and you can see his photo. He works with Peter in Geneva and once a week he also worked with Stéphane in Lausanne (Stéphane started to teach there once a week a few children). But he is still very-very young.

I couldn't find any unfortunately. And I was really curious to see what they created for this season.

Me too, I wish she did... But she is not the one who will make the first step. Even those a few who worked with her this season (Adrian, Justus), it was their initiative, not hers. Probably she feels absolutely "fulfilled" artistically working with Stéphane... And they work together a lot: during the last three seasons he is not competing they choreographed around 15(!) programs for him.

I guess you didn't read the interview? :) Because Peter talks about her there.
    Her name is Alisson Perticheto. And once she represented Switzerland.

10. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

As far as I know she worked for Opera on Ice. I don't know exactly, but she was there and I think she is the official choreographer and worked with Stephan and Carolina

11. reut

reut Active Member

Yes, she works with "Opera on Ice" and "Art on Ice" productions. Most of the photos in the interview were taken during the rehearsals of the "Opera on Ice" actually. A bit more about her work with Carolina and Stéphane can be found here.

But it can't be called a "choreography for current competitive skaters" dinakt and I were sorry about.

12. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

Thanks! Stephane's eye problems caused by the spins sound scary. I guess all the exceptional spinners have to pay a some sort of price eventually.

13. pinky166

Haha I had only read the second article, about Brunner, at that point. Now I read the other and you are right, thanks. I really enjoyed Allison's Sleeping Beauty program this season.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  15. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

That does seem to be the case. :( But then, the jumpers get bionic hips, so . . .

16. Katarzyna

Lucinda Ruh – reading in her biography what ultra-fast spinning can do to one’s body was scary! :yikes:

I hope Stephane takes care of his body now, though I wish he’d decided to comeback for Sochi with big jumps still working. But I always thought that beside personality he`s also such a great skater, as his motivation was not so much winning medals, but passion and love for the sport and deep desire to perform. :swoon:

This part of the article on Ovcharova really made me sad:
    Gives you an impression how hard competition is in Russia among the girls and how it gets even harder when skaters get injured / in troubles in such a fierce field. :(

17. Celine82

Celine82 Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to see Anna Ovcharova's programs this past season, they were brilliant. I didn't actually know her other than by name and hearsay ("Mr Grütter has a lovely new Russian girl" kind of talk) and was just blown away by her short program. I was actually shaking through it, it was absolutely gorgeous. The free was nice, too, but I prefered the short. I can't wait to see what they come up with next and I really hope that she gets to represent Switzerland.

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  18. reut

reut Active Member

It was sad and scary indeed. Luckily after a month and a half pause this summer he was able to come back to ice. He says he learned a new technique of how to spin and breath. Some say he now spins more slowly too, don't know, didn't notice that.
    And it's not only eyes. His back often needs special treatment and massages, he said. Also because all the spins are made in one direction they make his body develop unproportionally. They even thought it was one of the reasons for the serious adductor injury he had back in 2008, the one which made him to retire.
    Me personally I would love him not to spin at all. There is so much more in his skating than his brilliant spinning ability. On the other hand I read here in some feedback for the show that someone was upset because Stéphane didn't perform some specific spin. I guess he can't stop spinning because people always expect him to spin...

I know this is what profile states but I'm quite surprised to see Peter mentioned as a choreographer. Never heard of him choreographing for his students. Usually Salomé is the one who choreographs for his students, but I don't know what was the case here. Still, not sure the profile is correct...

Stéphane had surgeries on his both knees too. The sport on such a high level is very dangerous and bad for the body, for jumpers, spinners and all the others... Unfortunately they pay a very high price for us to enjoy watching them all...

He definitely had the very strong motivation to win medals. Without it he wouldn't be who he is.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  19. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I agree with you that although Stephane's spins is well known, he is a very rounded skater and has more to offer than spins. If the spins are giving him those health issues, then he should stop or slow down his spins. He's a popular performer and his other aspects of his skating skills can draw people other than spins.

That's right isn't it. These elite skaters endure bodily injuries to reach elite level skating and we benefit by watching their displays of brilliance but yet some people find it so easy to criticise and belittle these skaters when they feel justified to do so.

20. Katarzyna

He definitely had. With not so much I meant less than others like e.g. Joubert or Plushenko, who are still competing (and struggling :(). I think it’s great that Stephane can now show his very best as a professional skater. :cheer:

If some spectators are upset in ways of criticizing that Stephane cut down the level of his spins despite they harm him, then I'd recommend they go out and try themselves. :mad:

:respec:

21. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

I think Lambiel hasn't talked these problems caused by spinning publicly (and even now it wasn't him) so people didn't know. I definitely noticed during Art on Ice that he didn't spin like he used to. Now I know why.

22. reut

reut Active Member

He did, he mentioned this in his interviews, and the fact about new breathing technique was also mentioned by him in one of them.
    But, of course, people can't follow all his interviews, and they don't have to.
    I was just surprised that he skated two pretty damn good programs - different, beautiful, full of details and interesting choreography - and it was the only thing someone could notice and comment. I'm also not sure that in that specific case he changed the spin trying to be more careful, he experiments with spins a lot lately, what defines the spin and the speed of the spin is the music first of all.

23. Katarzyna

They don't have to. But even if people didn`t know, you don`t need to be a brainiac to check that if a skater doesn't do trademark elements any longer despite skating well otherwise, this probably is caused by physical reasons.

24. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Having now read Grutter's interview- thank you again, reut. Please keep them coming-those honest, in- depth interviews with people who are the soul of the sport!
    True. But to be fair, it is not an uncommon psychological phenomenon, and most people have to go through it. When you are young, you do smth. because you love it and it comes easily, you have talent and dreams. Then comes a time when things are hard, and self- doubt dominates. Somebody is better, something hurts, and you question everything. If a person really loves what they do, they rediscover that love despite the obstacles, despite the fact that somebody might become better recognized. It becomes a true passion ( not that there is no doubt, there is always doubt). So Anna is not alone- take any artistic biography or talk to any performer, you'll find it there.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Maybe Salomé Brunner also choreographed this new Senior Ladies FS for the Philippines' Alisson Krystle PERTICHETO? she scored 88.30 for 3rd in FS, 5th overall in her senior international debut at Gardena Spring Trophy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGisryIuI8E

26. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Although the Brunner interview talked mostly about Lambiel, I am both heartened by her discussion on Adrian Schultheiss and very sorry that he has not been able to compete. Schultheiss is one of my favorite skaters. He has a very distinctive mind that is rare to see. I often wonder if I would ever see such a skater emerge in US. If he had better skating skills and techniques to begin with, he would have been an "auteur" skater.

27. reut

reut Active Member

Thank you, dinakt. Such great feedback gives me motivation to continue. :)

It doesn't look like a completely new program, more like the juniors program adapted for seniors. I guess they both were choreographed by the same person. Can't be 100% sure it was Salomé. When I talked to her I asked her specifically about Anna and forgot to ask about Alisson. If I have an opportunity and don't forget, I will try to ask that.

I was excited when I learned last summer that Adrian was going to work with Salomé. Unfortunately not much came from their collaboration. And I really tried to ask Salomé more about him, but she didn't have much to say. Maybe they will work more towards next season, who knows...

28. reut

reut Active Member

29. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

30. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

She has always been so nice! Thanks for a great interwiew!