Swimming: Michael Phelps Comes Out. . .

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by LilJen, Apr 14, 2014.

1. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

2. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Whoa! Well that's unexpected! I mean, I can definitely see him missing the thrill of competition...but I really thought he was done. But hey, if he can do it, power to him!

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Good luck to him! :cheer:

4. poths

poths Well-Known Member

That is brill news! :cheer:

5. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I'm excited at the possibility of being able to watch him swim again. The sport isn't the same without him. He is just sprinting at the upcoming meet, 50 and 100free, 100fly, getting his toes wet, so to speak. Also, if he's aiming for Rio (and it would be a less ambitious affair even than London, I'm sure), those are the races that would let him potentially participate in both 400 relays. I guess the 200IM would depend on whether he really commits to a true comeback, and I suspect we've seen the last of the 200fly from him.

You can take the swimmer out of the pool, but it's hard to take the desire to train out of the swimmer. :)

6. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

He had rejoined the drug testing pool last year and there were reports that he was seriously training. You could tell at last year's Worlds that he was not done; he was just wistful. Couple that with the US showing (respectable but not dominating like the past few years), that would have been enough to cajole him back into the pool.

7. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

good news for us swimming team.. the team will be formidable in rio.. with ledecky and franklin.. plus couple young prospects of caeleb dressel, jack conger, ryan murphy, michael andrew, simone manuel.. etc..

8. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

It's his fourth Olympics, not fifth.

9. redfiretrees

redfiretrees Figure Skating Fan in the Tropics

Great news! Go win more medals at the Olympics Phelps! :cool:

10. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

No, he competed in Sydney at age 15. He finished fifth in the 200m fly.

11. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

No shit? :eek:

12. lmarie086

13. ripingroar37

ripingroar37 Member

Another athlete struggling to move on with post Olympic sport life.

14. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't help but think this about Phelps. But then again, Ryan Lochte has been to four Olympics (2004-2012). How do we know that there is a difference with him wanting to compete in Rio?

15. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

But with the money he's making- why move on?
    If I had a job that made me millions every year, I think I'd struggle to move on too.

He's not struggling to make ends meet, digging deeper in debt for training. He's not making ends meet but losing the opportunity to save for later (i.e., not getting a job with a retirement fund). And he's not struggling with success- struggling to barely qualify for nationals. He doesn't even seem to be fighting injury. Why should have move on?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  16. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I really don't see it like this at all. There's a thing with Olympic swimmers, there are a LOT that have re-kindled competitive fire after retirements and returned to the pool and done EXTREMELY well. Way more than any other sport. Possibly because it's a sport that doesn't require a teenage-type body to excel with.

I called it (and Dara Torres did, too) the second he announced that London would be his last Olympics, that he would eventually be trying for Rio. If I had my FSU subscription up to date, I'd dig up my post from the London archives where I mentioned this.

Best of luck to him!

17. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but it's not as if he'll do 8 events like in his teens/early 20s.

There is only so much World Series of Poker tournaments or Golf Channel Hank Haney Instructional shows one can do...I think he's making the right call here.

Interestingly, up to this point, it looked like the American women (Missy Franklin and Katie Ledecky) would be taking most of the headlines in Rio without Phelps competing.

18. AYS

Swimmers period, not just Olympic swimmers. My daughter just retired after her final collegiate meet after continuous training and swimming competitively on some level for 17 years and I know it's going to be really hard for her to leave it behind - despite the fact that she is a dancer and physical training obviously won't stop. It's the training and just swimming she has always loved and that's what brings a lot of swimmers back, even above dreams of glory. And even though people say this in many sports, in swimming it really always is first and foremost about your own benchmarks and goals right now, where you are in your life and training.

19. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Not really excited by the news. I hope NBC does make yet another Summer Olympics all about Phelps. 3 of those already have been more than enough.

20. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I suppose you could say that about every professional athlete that competed at the Olympics, like soccer players, hockey players, tennis players, figure skaters ... etc. Of course, if I trained for 15-25 years to do something and could make money at it, then stopping would be ridiculous. Nobody assumes a Nobel prize-winning researcher will stop doing research after winning a Nobel Prize, and their Initial training is about 15-25 years.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    lmarie086 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

When I get into a pool I always feel like I'm there to do laps. To me a pool feels like a sports field, not like a playground ... laps, turns, colored lane lines with flags above, starting blocks, chlorine hair, parkas, goggles ... pool clocks, personal best ...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  22. lmarie086

I've been friends with a number of swimmers over the years, and the majority of them say exactly this. One friend was the captain of our school's team his senior year, and since graduating he says he still tries to get in the pool at least four days a week. He says it's weird to not be in the pool as often as he used to be, and he still sets goals for himself because that's just what he's used to, it's what he's always done.

23. AYS

By the way, I noticed Natalie Coughlin is also entered into the meet this week. I looked up her competitive activity over the past year (since I haven't been following the sport as much these days) and noticed she did a few meets last year, but only the 50 and 100free. No backstroke or fly. I wonder if she is moving towards the Dana Torres route of longevity and will aim for Rio in the sprint free and/or as a relay-only swimmer.

24. AYS

25. AYS

I just caught the last few heats of the 100 fly prelims on the live stream at USA swimming. Michael looked pretty good, he and Lochte qualified 1-2 for finals. :D

26. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Fish out of water!

27. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I can see swimming being easier to stick with because it doesn't put as much strain on the joints (gravity's a beyotch.) If he can be competitive, why not? But I agree, please, NBC, there are OTHER SPORTS IN THE SUMMER GAMES AND OTHER ATHLETES.

28. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Active Member

At London Phelps was not the focal point like he had been in Athens and Beijing. The U.S gymnastics women received by far the most attention of anyone. So I dont think you have to worry about NBC neglecting other sports and athletes. I suspect Phelps will be even more in the background this time, although still getting some attention and press of course. What kind of story can they make exciting about him anyhow, he can never duplicate Beijing. Franklin and Ledecky will probably get the lions share of attention when it comes to swimming this time. Lochte is boring and kind of a dumb jock, so was never going to be the star with or without Phelps, no matter how many medals he wins. His reality show ratings show the interest level in him.

29. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Active Member

Thank goodness for Phelps in Beijing too. He was able to relegate the gymnastics horror to the background, and the shitfest of Al, Elfi, and Tim orgasming over the already overscored and benefiting from weak international field Shawn and Nastia, and trying to invent a huge controversy which existed only in their f-ed up minds if Shawn and Nastia didnt go 1-2 in some order on every event. Had Nastia been in vault finals and done her 1.5 yurchenko and a tucked front handspring, or Shawn been in bar finals with her 6.4 start value routine, they would still insist Shawn and Nastia should have gone 1-2 and it was a huge scandal if it didnt. Had Yang Yilin so much as won silver in the AA (as she nearly did) over a hit Shawn, the trio probably would have commited suicide on the spot, and a bunch of Olympic viewers in the U.S would have probably held a party to rejoice. Thankfully Phelps kept the yapping chihuahuas, and overhyped Shawn and Nastia in the background and almost irrelevant. Then in London with the real gymnasts and real gymnastics competition taking place, gymnastics now took precedence, and without Shawn and Nastia to orgasm over the NBC terrible trio were actually decent this time.

Thank you Michael Phelps. Thank you.

30. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

I disagree that Phelps was not the focal point in London. There was a TON of coverage when he didn't medal in first event, a ton of buildup to Phelps v. Lochte, a ton of fluff interviews, a ton of his mothers and sisters in the stand, a ton of coverage when he broke the overall medal record and a ton of coverage of his "last" race. The gymnasts deservedly received substantial coverage by dominating the event and having a lot of uncharacteristically compelling material in Jordyn missing the AA and being strong in team finals, Gabby being the first African Am AA champ, McKayla's face, captain Aly's tiebreaker heartbreak turned event final triumph. But I wouldn't say they got more coverage than Phelps. They just got more coverage than the 2004 and 2008 teams. Deservedly.

I don't expect Phelps to be background at all in Rio. As long as he is competing at an Olympics, he is that Olympics for the media, like it or not. And I expect him in Rio now. I think his comeback, his age, his girlfriend if there is one, his matchups with Lochte and LeClos and other up and comers, his mother, his medal count will be THE story of the Games with substantial sides of Missy Franklin and maybe the gymnasts although that will depend on who makes that team and especially if Gabby or Aly of McKayla make it. Ledecky is insanely talented but I don't think she has the star quality to be a face of the games from what I've seen but she'll do well.