Suzuki Looks to the Future

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Iceman, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

2. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

Thanks for the article, great to hear she is staying until Sochi. I am already looking forward to see her programs next season.

3. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

I absolutely love Suzuki, but she is 27 now...staying in until Sochi? Will there also be arthritis medication in the future as well?

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yay! :cheer2: I love her skating and on ice persona. So adorable.

5. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Good to hear, I enjoy Akiko's skating. She's a joy to watch on the ice. It looks like Japan will need her, Mao is just way too inconsistent.

6. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's a loving post. :rolleyes:

7. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

I think that's wonderful! No one skates with more joy than Akiko!

8. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

:D:cheer2:So happy to hear she's sticking around, I love Akiko's skating! :D

9. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

10. shine

shine Well-Known Member

She might be 27, but there's such a youthful, lively quality to her skating that makes her look like she's only in her teens (and I mean that in the most positive way). Love her to death. I hope she continues to :kickass: all the way until after Sochi!

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

^My mother could not believe Akiko is 27. She said she wanted her to win because she liked her dress the most. LOL.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I'm very happy to hear her news :cheer2:

13. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Great to hear that she is staying!! I really like her skating and she seems a very nice person on the ice (and elsewhere, I´d expect).

14. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

:) great to hear.
    And she has even better chances to make the Sochi team than the Vancouver team. (At least it looks like it at the moment).
    There are quite a few talented juniors but no one really really pushes the three leaders (Mao, Kanako and Akiko), IMO.

15. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

Gosh, I am so happy to hear this :). I just love Akiko's skating - so much joy. Love her programs and her costmes :swoon:. Definitely looking forward to seeing her next season!

16. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

And she has improved so much every season. Now her jumps are not that prone to UR and edge calls anymore and she presents herself beautifully and confidently.

17. mikeko

mikeko Member

Did you develop arthritis at the age of 27? Your body seems to have aged faster than average people, just the exact opposite of Suzuki.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  18. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

19. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Great to hear she is staying for Sochi, but I always thought she would. She has more spunk, energy and joy in her skating than any of the young Russians or Gracie Gold. Age really is just a number when you're hitting your stride like Akiko :)

20. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

Just saying that 29 is awfully old to compete in the Olympics.. Butyrskaya wasn't too successful.

21. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

I'm so happy to hear she is staying, I don't want her to go at all, she's just improving and improving. I really appreciate her musicality and joy :)

22. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Maria finished 6th in 2002 which would still be higher than Akiko's prior 8th place finish at the Olympics. Maybe Akiko is just in it because she enjoys skating (awfully hard to believe whenever you see her compete, but do try and suspend disbelief :p). Ever since her come back, she's always come across as very grateful to have an opportunity to compete and perform. It's pretty clear this is more about a personal victory to her than 'just' winning a medal at the end of the day. And I for one am more than willing to come along on the journey. Especially since she's been steadily improving and adding harder skills as she goes along :cheer2:

23. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

her joy is just so infectious.
    love all her programmes ... west side story, fiddler on the roof, johann strauss ....
    and her triple-triple this season has been amazing!
    whatever happens from now on, akiko will always be a world medallist!!!

24. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I'm happy to hear she's staying around! Age is just a number especially when you're firing on all cylinders. Other skaters had to hang up their skaters earlier due to injury or just a lack of motivation, but if you love to skate and it's in your heart you should continue to compete...especially if you're winning medals. It's not like Fumie Suguri (bless her heart) who competed a long time but got nowhere near the podium...Akiko has medaled in all of her events this year.

I don't know how long she'll stay on top with the younger girls coming in but at least she's continuing to improve by upping her technical content. Plus, none of those girls can touch her in the performance category. She is the BEST performer of all of the top ladies. Akiko just radiates joy and happiness when she skates. Her programs are well-choreographed and complex and she performs them beautifully. I just adore her...

I'm so proud of her for the season she's had and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next season! :)

25. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

As much as I love her happy and joyful programs - I really want her to go for a tango again.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1gDGozML94
    This was the very first program I saw of her and I really thought that other skater-tangos, especially from women, were really weak compared to this.

Totally happy of course that she wants to stay. :D

26. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^YES!

This was the program that made me fall in love with her. The choreography, the music, and the performance are simply outstanding. I'd love to see this as an SP...

27. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

Damn that was great!!! I'd love to see her mix in more drama as well. I love the joyful just as much, one program of each would be amazing :respec:

28. aidan

aidan Active Member

With Akiko taking a break from high-level skating for a few years when she was battling her eating disorder, her body is probably less beat up than the average 27-year-old skater.

29. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

ITA. She may flutz, but she got complete arrays of triples and got good decent technique on jumps; compare to Mao, whos body probably starting to beat up by doing the 3A constantly. Plus she got great spins and footworks that serve her well.

30. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

I actually think that her spins could use some improvement, they are pretty average.

She is not a classical flutzer, I think her edge is simply unsteady (she has been called for Lips and Flutzes), it looked good at Worlds though, that first (gorgeous) Lutz in the long was clearly on an outside edge.

I love her jumps overall. They are neat and pretty, nothing breathtakingly high, but really steady good jumps. With a great landing position and good ride-out on the toejumps.