Suspected vehicle with bomb closes down parts of Times Square NYC

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BigB08822, May 2, 2010.

1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Anyone following this? It has been unusually under-reported online, IMO. It is picking up steam on the cable news channels, Fox News is talking about it at the moment. Apparently it was a car bomb but did not detonate. Someone noticed a smoking box in the back so the police were quickly alerted. There was also gasoline and propane stored in the vehicle, according to reports. This could have been a really horrible event, thank goodness for whomever noticed something was off.

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I heard this but did not realise it was in NYC! All I can say is thank god for the alert passerby who noticed the van and called the police.

3. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

One of my Facebook friends who lives in New Jersey posted about it. I haven't been able to find much more info.

4. HisWeirness

HisWeirness LYUBOV HAS BEEN FREED!

Police Find a Car Bomb in Times Square and Clear Area
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/02/nyregion/02timessquare.html?hp

5. BigB08822

OMG! CNN has a headline that says, and I quote:

Uh, you think? What's next, a headline that says "Person seen exiting vehicle and leaving scene of crime is a suspect?" I can't believe they have this as breaking news while they barely mentioned ANYTHING while the actual evacuations were going on.

6. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

7. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Saw this on the news on Sunday. See something---Say something!

Thank goodness for dilligence and observance! Its the only way to thwart this kind of activity.

8. FGRSK8

FGRSK8 In Search of a Lost Chord

Hopefully he will sing like a canary and lead the authorites to other potentail suspects.

Apparently the propane tanks and other items are loaded with fingerprints...

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

He is claiming to have acted alone.

10. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I didn't post about this because it's the be-all, end-all to the local news here. I just figured everyone knew.

Faisal Shahzad, who is a naturalized US citizen originally from Pakistan, has said he did this one his own. People here aren't so sure, but we'll see how it plays out.

11. GarrAarghHrumph

The Pakistani authorities have just arrested one of Shahzad's friends in Pakistan.

12. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The US was one t-shirt vendor away from having it's first car bomb. This guy should get some sort of recognition especially since he is also a Vietnam veteran.

13. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking you must have forgotten Timothy McVeigh -- who unfortunately knew a lot more about turning a vehicle into a devastating bomb than Faisal Shahzad apparently does (thank goodness).

BTW, there were two street vendors who were the first to notice the vehicle and report it to the police. One of them had kept to a more low-profile and didn't say much to the media in the first few hours of reporting.

14. BigB08822

Yes, this would definitely have not been the first car bomb in the U.S. Perhaps the first since 9-11? Wasn't a car bomb also responsible for the first attacks on the WTC?

15. skatingfan5

Yes.

16. GarrAarghHrumph

Due to the recent attempt, I learned that one of the first "car" bombings ever, anywhere, took place in NYC, on Wall Street, in 1920 (it was a horse-drawn wagon). There was another car bomb in 1927, in Bath Township, Michigan.

17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

1920?! Well I hope it is the last.

18. silverstars

silverstars New Member

I thought that they ended up discounting that and saying that it was just the planes? I might be misremembering, though.

I was a few blocks away from Times Square on Saturday evening...scary. I went farther uptown before anything happened, but the place was packed with people because it was a really nice night out. Small bomb or not, I bet it would have caused some damage. I love my city, but sometimes it's a scary place to live.

19. BigB08822

20. GarrAarghHrumph

Here's info on the guy's background:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100505/ap_on_re_us/us_times_square_suspect

From a wealthy family in Pakistan, came to the US on a student visa, got a degree from a reputable, if low tier uni in Connecticut. Got his MBA there as well. Working a good job, owned a home. Then everything changed. Quit his job, abandoned the house, moved back to Pakistan with his family. Then returned here alone, leaving his family back in Pakistan.

21. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I'd gotten on the D train uptown by mistake and ended up at the subway stop right after Times Square. It is scary to think about and the weather was indeed perfect so I can imagine how many people were out. :(

22. GarrAarghHrumph

Airlines were formerly required to check the no-fly-list within 24 hours of its being updated. Now they will be required to check it within 2 hours of its being updated.

The suspect in this case was added to the no-fly-list a few hours before his flight boarded, but the airline didn't check the updated list before they boarded that flight.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100505/ap_on_bi_ge/us_no_fly_airlines

23. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

I heard this on the news this morning that he got on the plane and that when it was realized the plane was diverted back.

Some kind of security we have? Maybe the 2 vendors that were "observant" could run the TSA!

24. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Why is this not in Politically Incorrect????????

25. skatingfan5

Probably because it was started as reporting news of an emerging situation -- and not necessarily the subject of any political debate. I suppose that some could try to turn it into such and then the mods might move it to PI.

26. Civic

Civic New Member

I'm not surprised he majored in computer application systems at the University of Bridgeport. The Muslim terrorist suspects who study at Western universities and make it into the news all seem to have studied utilitarian subjects like engineering, medicine, computer science or business administration. I can't recall even one who earned his degree in the fine arts, humanities or social sciences. What's up with that? Is this merely coincidence? Do Islamic terrorist organizations prefer to recruit technocrats?

27. GarrAarghHrumph

I'm sure that such organizations do perhaps prefer tech students. But a big part of it, IMO, is that so many foreign students in the US are here specifically to study such subjects.

In my experience, the vast majority of foreign students who study in the US study for technical degrees, and for business/MBAs. This is even more true for foreign students from countries in the middle east and Asia, where in general and specific, US science and engineering degrees carry EXTREMELY high prestige in the home country.

In addition, in some foreign countries, the gov't is willing to sponsor the US studies of promising tech/science students, because those tech and science skills are so needed in the home country - not for evil, but for good.

ETA: and for those students who are funding their US studies themselves, if not well-off, their families have often "mortgaged" everything they own in order to send their child here. Financially, the investment is huge, and parents will put their entire savings, pull in favors from other family members, take on second and third jobs, in order to pay for their child's US tuition. Even if the family is well-off, financially, this type of investment is often only made if the degree has immediate and high impact earnings potential - so that's usually only done for tech and science related degrees.

In the end, while yes, it probably is the case that terrorist orgs want to recruit people with tech skills, another significant part of this is that the vast majority, if not nearly all, of the students from those countries who are studying in the US are studying tech subjects.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  28. soxxy

soxxy Guest

29. nypanda

nypanda Well-Known Member

All clear just called. I heart the NYPD. Keep being vigilant guys!!