Survivor Redemption Island Thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by walei, Jan 11, 2011.

1. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Cast announced

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor/?ttag=tv;survivor

And there are two returning players that are unknown right now.

The spoiler which said that nutcase Carrie Prejean of Miss California USA fame wasn't true. Sigh...was hoping the spoiler on who's going to return wasn't true either.

Rob and Russell

2. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

A new season deserves a new thread.

I might be in the minority but the return of Rob and Russel makes me very happy. I love the bad guys. When will it be offically announced?

3. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I'm so glad for a new season. I am a true fan, but had to quit watching last season, it was such a disappointment. It's the only season I've missed. I don't even know who won. Onward to better things!!!

4. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

The sheer amount of contestants from California is disgusting. :blah: Some geographic diversity would be nice!!

ETA:
    I hope Rob beats Russell's ass into the ground. Actually, I'd like the NEW contestants to wallop them both. Not a fan of them returning.

5. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Can't wait. Cast seems young.
    I am so amused that Russel is their least favorite. I never wanted Russel to win, but he is so entertaining and he played the game. I am still mad at him for ousting Boston Rob, but I don't mind he is playing again.
    To me the least favorite should be someone like Kelly Purple, who did nothing and quit.

6. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

A lot of people move here, so I wouldn't say that they are 'from' here. Survivor would serve themselves better if they told us where they were from NOT where they live. I grew up in Pennsylvania, but live in California... so would that make it irritating if I got on the show? I do wish that they would cast REAL people, however, and not people who already have ties to the entertainment industry (or other reality whores).

When I get casted, I want it to be about the experience of the game. Once the game is over, I will go back to my life. I don't need to do public speaking engagements, etc. To play the game would be reward enough.

7. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Wow, another contestant from near where I grew up. Big Tom was from about 20 minutes away from where I grew up. Ralph is from the next town over from where my parents live.

8. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I think what really gets my panties in a wad about the issue is how lazy the casting department is. What's the point in applying anymore when you have a better chance of being selected for the show in clubs and bars in the Southern California area? So in that sense, yes, it is irritating to me... but then again I have a degree in geography and I'd love to see people from all over the country be mixed in. There was one past season where there were like 7 contestants living in LA alone. I read an interview with someone else that said they automatically felt left out and at a disadvantage because those players would talk about their favorite restaurants, salons, and hang-outs with each other.

9. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Well the worst kept secret in Survivor-land is out, Russell & Boston Rob are back for another season:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20457108,00.html

Love me some Boston Rob so I might tune in to watch this season. Have taken the last 3 off so the show should be "fresh" again. Well as fresh as it can be for having them back once again. I am just glad its not Rupert and Russell!! And I am interested in seeing how Redemption Island plays out.

10. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Russellllllll !!! whoohooooo :)

11. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

"Having never been awarded the title of Sole Survivor, Hantz and Mariano return to compete for the $1 million prize and one last shot at redemption,"

Don't tease me like this, CBS. We all know that you will bring them back if you can.

12. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

:lol:

If they could, they'd have Boston Rob play Survivor every season. Not sure about Russell but Rob is beloved by both Probst and Burnett. And since this is his SEVENTH CBS show, I guess the suits at CBS love him too.

Survivor Marquesas
    Survivor All Stars
    TAR 7
    Rob & Amber get Married
    TAR All Stars
    Survivor All Stars part deux
    Survivor Redemption Island

That's pretty incredible that a construction worker from Boston has been able to parlay an entire career out of CBS. And gotten a wife and two daughters out of it too!

13. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

His on-screen caption should read "Professional Survivor player" as his occupation.

14. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I'm not crazy about the idea of Russell coming back, but I do luuuurves Boston Rob!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

It´ll only be a good idea if Boston Rob outwits, outplays and outlasts Russell.

BYTCH, Fridge_Break, Habs and 3 others like this.
  16. Squibble

Squibble New Member

:(

One of the charms of Survivor is that it throws together 16-20 people whom the audience has never met before and who don't know anything about each other. Very few contestants have been anywhere near as interesting the second time around, let alone more interesting (Parvati and Sandra being the two exceptions who immediately come to mind).

Casting people who have competed two or three times before is tantamount to using Z-List celebrities, and Rob and Russell are particularly excruciating examples. :yawn:

17. love skating

love skating Clueless American

Ugh ugh ugh. I can't stand Rob. I was so happy when they didn't initially announce Rob and Russell for the next show, but unfortunately they just wanted not to reveal that part yet. :mad:

18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

The diversity of opinion - and the fact that everyone has one - is exactly why Rob and Russell are back. Controversy sells.

19. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

20. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

If Probst is to retire sometime, we can always count on Boston Rob to take over...

Really, jamesy, PeterG and 3 others like this.
  21. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I hope Rob bests Russell this time. I REALLY want to see Russell gets voted out sometimes.

22. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of either, but I hope Rob :kickass: over Russell. He's just obnoxious.

23. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

TOTALLY :blah: And Russell every other season.

I'm not happy about either of them being back, but I would rather see Russell go farther than Rob again.

Of course, in my perfect Survival world, people would open their eyes and vote both of them off first chance they get (with Rob going first :p)

when does this start? is it still on Wednesdays? do I have the energy to care this time?

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Given that they aren't publicizing this in a big way, my guess is that Rob and Russell don't have much effect on the final outcome of the game.

25. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

These Survivors have seen Russell on tv now. I'd be surprised if he lasts long at all. At least Rob is personable - Russell not so much. Of course, if Russell realizes that and amends his personality (which he is probably smart enough to do) then all bets are off.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  26. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Even if he amends himself, I'm quite sure Russell will be voted out as soon as they can do that :lol:

27. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

So if he is voted off, but he wins the battle on Redemtion Island, does he stay on the island or go back int eh game. How does that work?

28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

He stays. Sounds like they continue this for awhile - maybe to merge? - and the person who is left standing gets to come back.

The somewhat interesting thing is that the remaining players won't know who is still there. If there's someone they really want gone, they could in theory send the next person there to beat them and make sure they don't come back. There could also be a major move if at the last minute - perhaps the final time someone is sent - someone sacrifices themselves to go and beat whoever they think is left, and then return to the game a hero.

The tricky part is that both Rob and Russell are excellent players - so even when voting them off, there's a very good chance they will remain in the game. And in Russell's case, come back pissed. :)

29. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I am SO over Russel. Rob, he's grown on me...couldn't stand him years ago, but I think love and fatherhood has really softened him up and made him more likeable. I've no hope for either him or Russel to win the game (not sure I'd WANT them to win the game; let's get some fresh meat in there), but all I really need is for Rob to outlast Russel. Just that, and I'll be good for the season.

30. MrSatterwhite

MrSatterwhite Barely-Known Member

My dream scenario:

Russell is unceremoniously voted out first.

Mariano goes second after uttering his trademark "if they are wise they'll vote me out first, but they won't *smirk*" remark.

Russell and Rob battle it out in an epic challenge at Redemption Island and Mariano is sent home.

Then a perceived "dumb blonde" is voted out third. She and Russell engage in a mental challenge at Redemption Island and she wipes the floor with Russell's a$$.

And that's it: Russell and Rob are gone in only three episodes (hopefully never to return again) and we'll have our regular season of Survivor unfold nicely after that.

But, of course, that won't happen.