"Survivor" - Pits Old against Young

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Bostonfan, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I would think the young would have the advantage in puzzles, too. :shuffle:

3. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I will wait to see the actual season to make up my mind on whether I like this twist or not but on paper it feels like the younger contestants would have the edge in the challenges but if TPTB are creative and go with more mental twist ones, then maybe the older contestants will do well.

And it now makes sense about Jimmy Johnson's participation as on a "normal" season he would have been fodder; now, maybe he has a chance to last a bit. And I'm dying to see what his hair looks like after a couple of days in the jungle!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Prancer

It's interesting that they didn't cast people who are in their 30s. I think (not sure on this) that the majority of winners have been in that age range.

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

This reminds me of one of my dad's favorite sayings: "Age and treachery will always defeat youth and skill." :)

6. Prancer

I use the "Youth and vigor are no match for age and deceit" version on my kids, along with "You may be bigger, but I'm still smarter.":lol:

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'm a little wary of this, as it seems like so many seasons have included alliances largely split along age lines (mostly the younger ones not seeing any value to older players), but I thought the season with tribes divided racially would be a disaster and it was a pretty good season.

8. Catherine M

I'm a bit wary too. I hated when Cook Islands started with the racial divide but then the Aitu Four happened and now I look back on that as one of my top two or three seasons.

So I guess its going to come down to just what these folks are like and how they play the game.

And has anyone else seen the rumored theme for Survivor 22?!?!?

:eek: if true!!!

9. genevieve

No, what is it? Zombies vs. Aliens?

10. Catherine M

:lol:

Its rumored that it will be Boston Rob versus Russell. They'll be on opposing teams as mentors/coaches/players, I guess like Bobby Jon and Stephanie in Guatemala.

How CBS will rig it for them to make it to the merge, I have no idea. I guess hid the Immunity idol under their pillows?

11. genevieve

ugh. Two people who need to never be on my tv again.

12. Prancer

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :scream:

13. love skating

love skating Clueless American

Oh please - no more Rob or Russell. PLEASE! :mad:

I don't really like the old vs. young either. They sort of tried that with four tribes - the older men, older women, younger men, and younger women tribes season.

14. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I love Boston Rob, but am over Russell, don't want to see him again. Luv to see Rob.
    The age thing could be interesting. One never knows. I remember how there was lots of talk before the race season, and then it was not really an issue.
    Survivor has implemented some good changes over the years, so will have to see. Can't wait for it to begin - and Amazing Race too!

15. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Reminds me of that one reality show where the bachelor picks either the young or the old bachelorette - and it came down of course to one each of the old and the young. And you guessed it! The younger woman won. Surprise, surprise.:rolleyes:

I love Survivor, so I suppose I will watch it, and I assume the same scenario above will occur. But if there's nothing else to do but watch TV, then I guess I can watch.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

will this be Rob's 4th season? I dont want to see any contestant that many times

17. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

And didn't they end up just merging them in the second or third episode?

At least it's not a 4th season of Cirie lounging about in an ill-fitting bathing suit.

18. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

talk about a silver lining

it's called underwire, it's not expensive

19. genevieve

I'll take Cirie and her not-properly-fitted attire over Boston Rob or Russell any day of the week.

I actually liked watching Russell in both his season. But I think twice is more than enough to see him. And he needs some serious time and distance from this show. And a lot of therapy :saint:

20. Bostonfan

I wouldn't mind seeing Russell, but only IF the HII was not a factor. I'd love to see him try to get far without that advantage. Of course his reputation has made such an experiment impossible since so many competitors would target him for reasons made clear from watching his other 2 seasons.

21. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

This is likely why they are doing it - they have forced all the other reasons that naturally divide people, so it was only a matter of time.

Also, I don't think everyone should assume the younger players will have a physical advantage - there have been some very strong and fit older players in the past, and a helluva lot of physically useless youngsters.

As for puzzles, I don't think it has anything to do with age. I think it has everything to do with a) if you are a puzzler and have that mindset and b) if you can perform under pressure.

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

22. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I don't klnow about this twist.
    All I know is that I'm craving Survivor!

23. Prancer

Apparently one of the other Survivor editions in another country did a young v. old and it was a big success.

Spoilers have it that the cast is full of interesting people and that the older people are actually more fit and physical than the younger ones, although the challenges aren't particularly physical. And word is that the HII is still around, but is much harder to find this time. :cheer2:

Jimmy Johnson has been confirmed by a Texas newspaper. :eek:

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think Jeff hinted at that already - the Russell factor.

I do find that TPTB on the show really do know what they're doing. There's the odd casting misstep, but on the whole, the show just keeps getting better IMO. They are smart enough not to mess with what works, and they keep evolving the show and offering interesting twists like this to keep the game fresh and challenging.

25. genevieve

If it's true that BB12 Hayden was originally supposed to be on Survivor, good move by TPTB. Survivor dodged a bullet.

26. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think I may be the only person on the planet, but I actually like Hayden. At first, I was ready to write him off as a dumb kid with his Bieber hair - but during his HOH I began to appreciate his game play. I think he's smarter than people are giving him credit for, is playing very well, and even seems like a decent guy.

I think he would have been great on Survivor.

27. Prancer

Erika Shay resigned as casting director after a lot of :soapbox: on the fan boards about her friendship with Parvati and rumors that she set Parvati up with Russell before the show started filming.

Aside from that, I think it's good that she's gone, because she cast a lot of her friends from the LA bar scene--lots of mactors who were using Survivor for screen time. Sometimes those people work out well, but usually, they just make a lot of noise and don't go very far.

Most of the cast this time were people who applied, which hasn't been true for a long time, so I'm hoping for a cast of people who actually know the game.

28. genevieve

Oooh, that would be refreshing!

29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Indeed! On BB this summer, most of them seem to know the game and they spend quite a bit of time talking about past seasons. One of them is even going so far as to *hide* his game knowledge.

30. Bostonfan

The new TV Guide has an article about this season. It confirms what I suspected about the challenges - that they will be way less physical this season (i.e. no wrestling in mud pits), but that the Challenge Dept has come up with some inventive ideas that are fair, take skill and strategy.

There's also something called the Medallion of Power this year. I've spoilered it here if you want to know more:

The other big twist this season is the introduction of the Medallion of Power, which will be able to be used by a tribe to gain an advantage in an immunity challenge. They get to keep it until it is played, at which point it goes over to the other tribe.