Survivor Philippines (Season 25)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Catherine M, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Abi injured her knee in the first couple of days and injured it again soon after, which is why she hasn't been doing challenges. The fact that this has never once been mentioned, and that Jeff keeps calling her out for not doing challenges, means that the Survivor producers hate her. If they liked her, we would have seen something every week about how she wishes she could do her part and how concerned everyone is about her knee. You notice that no one has been on camera complaining that Abi is refusing to do challenges; that's because no one thinks she can be competitive. We'll see how she does now that it's every player for himself.

I don't like her at all, but I am increasingly aware that I am not supposed to. This almost certainly means that she will in some way be responsible for the demise of a producer favorite at some point, although who that is, I don't know. But if any of you ever go on Survivor, make sure you aren't the one who pulls the trigger on a Chosen One, for you will pay.

ITA about RC and Lisa--they both did a great job. But Malcolm is clearly a Chosen One. He'd better be keep an eye on Abi.

Oh, and did you notice that once again Jeff emphasized that Dana CHOSE to leave the game--the damn quitter! This does not bode well for the red team in the merge, I'm thinking.

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  2. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Ooooo, that's a good point. I hope she's not responsible for getting Malcolm voted off, but that would definitely explain the edit she's been getting.

Random thoughts: Now that Carter's actually talking, I wish he'd shut the hell up. What a whiny drip.

I was glad that Denise finally got a reward, but I knew that the minute the reward feast wore off, everyone on Kalabaw who agreed to the bargain would start bitching about having no rice.

When Carter muttered to Penner, "So, Penner or Katie?" I laughed so loudly I woke the cat up.

3. succubus

succubus Well-Known Member

Carter is so unbelievably jaw-droppingly dumb. The vacant look on his face makes me sick.

I have done a total 180 on Lisa - she rocks! And yes, Probst was such a d-bag to fawn all over Malcolm when Lisa was the one getting the balls right to him. Not even my lady Denise was doing so well at that! I believe we're seeing the beginning of Jeff's new mancrush. :rolleyes:

I still like Malcolm. But if I look deep in my soul I'd have to admit that I'd hit that in a stone cold minute. So I'm biased. ;)

4. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

thanks Prancer - interesting about Abi - makes so much sense. Also RC's comment about letting Abi causing drama.
    Yes - Lisa does rock! She was aiming for Malcolm and succeeded, plus held Denise. And I enjoy her confessionals.
    The bargaining the RC was very interesting. And Carter annoys me. They gave up one day of rice for a big meal and he acts like they gave up weeks worth of rice. And yes the merge is coming, so whatever.
    Won't miss Katie. Still smarter to take Penner to the merge, than Katie as she might be ignored, as the former players and strong ones will likely be targeted.
    Still liking Denise and Malcolm, Jeff Kent, Lisa and Penner.

5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I realize that they can't always show the full spectrum of every player's character in the space of the show, but that's annoying. When Jeff called her out again and she said she has no choice, I assumed it was because the tribe didn't want her to play - not because she has an injury. They're playing up all the other injuries - especially this season - so why not hers?

Also annoyed at Jeff for hammering home that Dana quit. Good heavens, the poor girl was on death's door out there, coupled with a broken heart because she REALLY wanted to play. Don't lump her in with the quitters Jeff, because that ain't fair.

Everyone also notice a little poking from Jeff at TC? Asking Jeff K if he's ever played another game like Survivor? Sounds like Jeff P is dying to get that out on the table so he can talk about it at TC - like he was itching to say "how did a kid like my mancrush Malcolm beat a major league baseball player in that challenge?"

Otherwise, I'm loving this season. Best casting in quite some time, and so happy that all the pointless players are being eliminated one by one, so by merge we will be left with a crew of strong players (whether physical, intellectual or social) who are each interesting in their own way, and most importantly, came to play, and play hard.

6. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Prancer's comment about Abi being set up as a villain who takes out a favorite is causing me to speculate. Does Abi engineer Malcolm's exit?

PS - potential spoiler alert, but it's rumored that Malcolm returns on Survivor 26.

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

we have heard her talk about her knee, but not last night (maybe not last week either?), and I didn't know she had re-injured it. Clearly Jeff isn't fond of her - but I'm surprised the producers hate her. She's got all the makings of their favorite villains - bitchy, devious, causes strife for no real reason, and got the best of a better player (RC, about the HII, even though RC still doesn't seem to know it).

And I would be fine with Abi engineering Malcolm's exit. There are many, many players in this game I'd rather see at the end than him. And I don't see why he should be invited back, either. He's a typical alpha male who is shocked - SHOCKED! - that he wasn't on a dominant tribe from the beginning. He's a good individual competitor and probably a nice guy, but not exceptional in the game.

Um, where did RC get that corporate jacket she was wearing in one of her confessionals last night? was she wearing it on the first day?

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Meant to say good point Prancer about 3 HII in play - hopefully that causes some interesting :COP: if several get played on one night.

9. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Just watched the eppy, my impressions:

--The reward challenge deal, ITA with whoever above said it's hilarious how half the tribe said they'd go with whatever decision was made, and then were bitching about it later. I think Artis was the only one who didn't agree to some extent. Have we actually seen him in a confessional where he wasn't bitching or pissed off about something? Seems like a grumpy man, to me. I think Tandang thought they'd be getting much more rice than they did, they really should have figured out exactly how much they were going to receive before making the deal.
    --Which leads me to... when was the last time we saw extensive conversation about hunger/no food on this show? It's been YEARS, and it was refreshing. Most recent seasons have been strategy 100% of the time and the actual survival aspect hasn't been highlighted at all. Even though the cause of last night's segment was mostly because of Kalabaw's now completely depleted food source, still was a nice throwback to the older seasons.
    --Carter. What a little whiner. I have no idea how he was cast for the show. Why was he not considered for the vote after he spent so much time detailing how he's not going to last the entire time if he doesn't get more to eat? Oof. He's super skinny, and lost a ton of weight on top of that. There was a shot of him laying in the shelter and his bathing suit was looking super loose, it looked like he lost a few inches to his waist line in just the first few weeks.
    --Lisa is awesome. Denise is awesome. I still like Malcolm.
    --Merge next week? Hopefully. The preview kind of made it sound like it could be something else, but it's probably a merge. They're at 11 people, and typically the merge is at 10. Last season was the earliest merge with 12, I think the deepest into the game with a merge was at 8 in Thailand.

ETA: Interesting to note -- the jury did not start with this boot, as it has in recent seasons. I can only hope that they've gone back to a traditional 7-member jury with a final-2.

10. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for Malcolm, Denise, and Lisa to be the final 3. I think Malcolm will get voted off as competition, though, unless he goes on a Colby-like streak on immunity challenges. Have the other teams gotten a look at Lisa and Baseball Player during the challenges? I know that, at least on screen, only Skupin from team yellow has admitted recognizing Lisa, and Dawson got voted off before ratting out Baseball Player. But, for instance, might Denise or Penner know who Lisa is?

11. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

There's Malcolm, but there's also Penner and Skupin, and I think they like Jeff and Denise quite a bit, too.

First night of the show, Jeff tweeted that Abi isn't as charming as she thinks she is, and I thought, uh oh. But she isn't coming across as charming at all.

12. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Abi is kook-a-roo, imo. :scream:

13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Quite a few of them are good at challenges now - in part thanks to getting rid of everyone who wasn't on two of the tribes :lol:

I think we are going to see a lot of sekret alliancing, and hopefully those HIIs will come into play in a big way.

14. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

15. genevieve

Love how the article makes this huge deal about how she couldn't keep Twix bars down after getting voted off...this is nothing new. I guess they don't show it in the episodes anymore, but tribes that get food reward are often quite sick afterwards. I still remember Rodger from S2 moaning about the effects of some big meal they'd won, and how his leaf (that he was using as tp) had a hole in it.

but interesting about the black mold growing in the shelter due to all the rain. yikes.

here's an interview with Dana and Creepy Dawson:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?affid=100055&news=768544&obref=obinsource

16. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Gross about the mold!
    Food rewards - I always wonder about them. One time I think they got Beer and Doritos???
    or any alcohol for dehydrated folks???
    I assume just giving them basics like bottled water or soup/broth, fruit/veggies, very basic stuff iin limited amounts would be the best.

17. genevieve

pretty sure this show has never given players anything like that in a reward challenge.
    I'm always surprised by how *insane* the prospect of sugar makes players. seems like that would be the worst thing they'd want to cram down their gullets when they're dehydrated and hungry.

18. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Finally caught up on last two weeks. Too bad about Dana. The first impression I had of her was that I hated her, but then never really got to know anything about her. The little we did see after I initially hated her though, I think she might have grown on me.

And if I were Dawson, I would have stood up to leave and said "why don't you all ask Jeff to tell you about his 17 years playing MLB for the Rangers" (or whoever the heck it was). Just to drop that 'he's a millionaire don't let him win' thought in everyone's head. I don't know why she thinks Jeff owes her anything now. I would have outed him in a heartbeat. But I'm bitter. :lol:

I laughed so loud when that idiot asked Penner "so is it Katie or Penner"! :lol: Penner had to have picked up on that, but we just didn't see it with the editing.

And in regards to the game. They all sat like that all tied up together in the mud for over an hour?! :eek: Yuck!! But couldn't production have seen that coming? They try out all those games with a crew team to make sure they work, don't they? Clearly this one wasn't going to work. Maybe they wanted that outcome to see how it would play out. Would they really have let them just sit there for a couple hours until someone slipped and a team got thru?

In regards to Abi sitting out so many challenges, I thought you could not sit out the same people in back-to-back challenges? It seems like there were times where she sat out both challenges in an episode, and I thought you couldn't do that? Or am I just not keeping track right?

19. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Malcolm is a choosen one for sure. As is Denise. She's got the winner edit IMO no ? Am I the only one to think that ?

20. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Nope. I think that too. I'm going with Malcolm and Denise in the Finals and them finishing 1-2 and it being a 1 vote win between them. And the third person (if its Final 3, which I hate) getting no votes at all. :lol:

21. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I remembered a similar reward that was mentioned above, and went back to check. It was Doritoes and Mountain Dew that was a reward in Australia. A little better than beer, but jeesh, not by much.

It's been a couple of seasons since I remember Jeff telling them that they couldn't sit people out in back-to-back challenges. Maybe they still enforce it but don't show him explaining it anymore, I'm not sure. Although Abi did sit out a lot of the challenges early, the first 3 or 4 episodes didn't have a reward challenge at all. And then she was going to participate in the giant ball challenge this last week, but the compromise happened before she even got a turn. Probst conveniently forgot about that when he ragged on her in the immunity challenge.

You're not the only one :)

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Interesting that Katie complained that Jeff made her look like more of a challenge loser than she was, just as we were talking here about how he's being unduly hard on Abi, and even poor Dana. Mind you, Katie seems a bit of a whiner, but still, it does seem like they are setting this up for a bunch of challenge kings/physical players to make it to the end.

As for Dawson, what an idiot. She had a golden opportunity to gain Jeff K's protection but didn't have a clue what to do with the info, and now from that interview we find she had another piece of choice intel - that Denise fully plans to get back with Malcolm. They've seen Malcolm in challenges - she only had to tell the guys that Denise is only riding them until merge, and if they are smart they should get rid of her now because she may be good for the team now, but she's a major threat as an individual. Of course, that info might only be hindsight on Dawson's part - thinking she saw that coming when in fact she didn't - I do have a hard time believing Denise would reveal something so important.

The strength of Denise and Malcolm's alliance ala Colby-Tina was that no one was really onto it until they got voted out. I would have thought that they'd make an effort to distance themselves on their new tribes and make people forget that they were once on the same team.

23. MarieM

Ah yes, Malcolm and Denise do have an alliance that remind me a lot of Colby / Tina. Which indicates why Jeff is in love with Malcolm, as he was with Colby :lol:

24. genevieve

if that's true, I can only hope the result will be the same as S2 :D

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  25. MarieM

Why ? So far Malcolm isn't as bad as Colby was. We'll see :)

26. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

In the first season, there was a beer reward. One beer for the winner of the reward challenge. My, how things have changed!

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Burnett wrote a book during the filming of Survivor 1 that makes for an interesting read. There was a reward that was supposed to be a beer (maybe another one?), but the players were all really exhausted and had it in their heads that the reward was going to be something really good. At the last minute, they put together a makeshift reward that involved taking Kelly to a local bar for some beers and respite from the game - funny thing was, it was only the crew's commissary, and all the people in the background at this bar were crew. She was blindfolded there and back, so had no idea she wasn't at a real bar.

Rewards have come a long way, but when was the last time someone got a car?

28. genevieve

In S1 there was a pizza reward - I think the whole tribe had to share one slice :p. I remember it because Rudy declined.

And when Kelly was taken to the "bar", she and Jeff watched the premiere of Survivor. I'm not sure if they really were watching the show at around the same time it was broadcast, but I do know the lag time between filming and airing was not much, so it was plausible.

Perhaps they eliminated the car reward because of the "curse"? :p (more likely they just haven't gotten any car sponsors in a while)

29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

IIRC, Survivor 1 started airing while they were still playing the game, I think the only time that happened. Makes it a lot harder to manipulate the show for storylines - kinda wish we could go back to that, but then again we'd likely miss things that didn't seem important to the producers at the time but ended up affecting the game.

I think it's also the only time the winner was announced to the players at final TC.

30. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

It sounds like she just got a sneak preview of the first episode. Filming appeared to take place Mar-Apr 2000 but didn't premiere until the end of May.