Survivor Philippines (Season 25)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Catherine M, Aug 20, 2012.

1. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i took it as he thought she looked good clean
  2. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

I got that; I just thought it was weird because they always showed her as being Skupin's buddy and suddenly it was Penner who was openly admiring her when I don't think we were ever shown them even acknowledging each other's existence.

Oh, and how could I forget--is Abi the stupidest player in the history of the game? I realize there are some other worthy contenders, but good god.
  3. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

What a crazy fun episode! Definitely Clusterf*ck as previously said. Wow from the whiplash. Glad Penner is still there.
    Lisa - playing hard, but I am worried - 2 TCs in a row where i think she is blabbing too much, and she may have blown it with Malcolm (and Denise). But I see her point of keeping to her original alliance and bringing 2 unlikeable people to the end.
    Malcolm plays it very calm, cool collected. So opposite of Abi.
    Jeff - ha ha - got booted before Penner.
    Still loving Penner. So cool he was so excited to win his 1st immunited.
    Wish Pete had been voted out.
    Yes - Abi is a top contender for stupidest player. Final show will be interesting to see if she realizes how bad she comes across. The look she gave RC!
    Abi has no self awareness of her weaknesses. Pete thinks she is immature, but there is more wrong than just that.
    TC was just too funny. But worried some will regret what they did??? Why not vote out Artis??
  4. Ares

Ares Guest

The only problem with Lisa's plan is, without an immunity win late in the game, it gets herself and Skupin 4th and 5th at best.

I think she could have had a better chance sticking with the good guys. She could have slipped in with the Jeff, Carter alliance or the Malcolm, Denise alliance after voting out the returning players followed by the axis of evil.
  5. Ares

Ares Guest

Just saw Jeff's exit interview. :eek:

Wow, it must be tough. Poor guy earned $60 million, and then Obama would have swiped a portion of his Survivor winnings making it a measly 600k. Possibly the worst exit interview in Survivor history.
    Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

• His plan was for an alliance of six, not five, but he probably realized Michael wasn't going to flip on Lisa
    • If Michael did flip, Jonathan could still vote for Pete (or Jeff) to break the tie
    • He could pay Jeff back for double-crossing him
    • This helped Jeff fulfill his prophecy of "I am not going home after you!" :p
    • He broke up the Jeff-Carter duo
    • Unless Jonathan knows Jeff's background, he probably figures that the vote eliminated the greater threat of the two players who were targeted at this Tribal Council
  7. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I have seen every ep of Survivor since Richard Hatch first set foot on the beach, and I have to say that was likely the BEST episode ever! I actually jumped off the couch when Penner won immunity - seriously they couldn't write this better than it's unfolding on its own. And his joy at winning! He really does seem like a good guy, loves and respects the game deeply, and I don't care that he's played before - I'd be happy if he won.

And TC!!! Lisa's actually lucky that there was so much drama, except this is going to come back and bite her. Malcolm and Denise will be done with her, especially after Abi so clearly stated (much to Malcolm's surprise) that Lisa has been part of their 4 all along (whether she has or not). And what's Carter going to do now?

Mark my words, this is not the last we see of Lisa Welchel - she's coming off very well in this, and I imagine that she's already being offered parts in sitcoms, or perhaps even a spot on the couch of a talk show.

Prancer's right, if ever we needed the video of the vote speeches, it's now. But, as we have seen, the one downside to this season is that they are clearly pushing certain SLs and suppressing others, so they can't have us getting unedited comments as they might contain info that doesn't fit the story they are telling.

re Penner's vote - Not knowing how things would turn out, my guess is that Penner didn't want to make an enemy of Jeff or Pete with his vote, knowing he might need to align with either or both at some point. Keeping his options open. Abi is a throwaway - she's mad no matter what. Conceivably, he could also use the vote to offer himself as a free agent after the chips fall - "look, I'm not aligned with anyone - you can trust me etc etc"

Plus, he may be the only one who has started to work on the jury. Friendship aside, a nice nod to the first jury member helps, and later on, the ability to say "I kept my word and never wrote your name down" can also tip the scales.

re Jeff's speech - I think Survivor LOVED that. He's a guy who's living the American Dream - super rich, attractive and athletic, played in the frikkin World Series for heaven's sake, and yet he still doesn't feel his life is complete without winning Survivor :lol:

So glad he got voted out before Penner, only because that is the one thing he didn't want to happen. Silly man.
  8. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I thought Jeff was a good Survivor player, but that comment made me very glad he was voted off.
  9. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

That comment made me :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:shuffle:
  10. walei

walei Well-Known Member

LOL at the TC. I literally laughed hysterically when Abi showed her hidden immunity idol. She's such a try hard trying to impress everyone that "hey LOOK AT ME I GOT ONE TOO!!". Remember when Pete found the idol, Abi almost lost her poo and said "I KNEW THAT WAS IT!!" Yeah right. Worst. Player. Ever. I hope Jeff give her crap at the reunion including asking her does she feel dumb that she accused RC to be disloyal when the whole time it was all a setup by Pete.

And :lol: at Jeff's exit interview, aired during the week Obama got re-elected. You can't write this sh!t.
  11. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

She's the type that believes her own lies, and twists everything around no matter what anyone says. My bet is she'll stick to her story.

No kidding! One forgets sometimes that all this happened months ago!
  12. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

Great episode! Abi has to be the biggest fool that's ever been on this show and the most worthless. I couldn't believe it when she pulled out her idol. Idiot. Lisa has been a pleasant surprise. I thought she would be an early boot, but she's playing to win. I just hope she hasn't put a target on her back by making the others think she is unreliable in an alliance. Jeff's speech made me laugh. I'm sure, had he won, he could have afforded to pay those taxes. I can imagine the producers' glee at the thought of having this for the post-election episode.
  13. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I like Lisa. She wasn't ready to rat out Malcolm until everyone targeted Mike- one of her original alliance. She's loyal.

I always thought Jeff was a smarmy weasel, so his exit interview just made me glad he's gone.

Artis reminds me of one of those cranky old men at the supermarket.

Penner stopped having a tantrum long enough to play hard. Smart moves at TC. Wonder if he wrote down Abi's name just to mess with her and make her paranoid.

Would love Pete to go next. Or Abi.
  14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

what a great episode! All the fantastic micro-alliances have come to the fore. It was great to see Lisa make a big move, but she overplayed her hand. As soon as we saw her talking to Pete it was a given this would backfire on her. I truly hope she's able to ride the wave and get something going with Penner/Skupin/Carter and possibly Malcolm/Denise next week, because I really enjoy her on this show!

Hooray for Penner! I was worried during the knot part of the comp, but he's great at puzzles, so no surprise that he managed to win :inavoid: Of course it's verrrry satisfying to have Jeff get the boot (especially learning what a frickin poor loser he is :rolleyes: ), but I do think it was a mistake to not take out Pete at this point. Without Pete, Abi and Artis are nothing but miserable people who no one likes.

Malcolms :wideeyes: at being targeted - I would have been thrilled if Lisa's plan had worked.

I'm still hoping for the unlikely F3 of Denise/Penner/Lisa (Skupin 4th)...

Of course CBS knew this ep would air right after the election - I'm sure that was considered when they set the start date for the season. Whether Obama won or loss, it would be a golden comment. So, they did kind of write it :lol:
  15. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think it's odd that the contestants, well some of them anyway, are revealing of all their strategies at TC. Are they completely forgetting that they're talking to Probst in front of all their co-contestants and not in a private one-on-one HOH room with July Chen?
  16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Might've been just crafty editing, but I thought it interesting that all three attacked the puzzle and Penner was behind, but he took a moment to stop and look at it, then solved it. That kind of approach seems to be boding well for him - taking a minute to stop and think, seeing the big picture, and then knowing what to do next.
  17. genevieve

I jist watched Jeff's Ponderosa video, and the first thing he says to RC is that he made a mistake in voting her off, and that he knew it the very next morning (er...didn't see a lot of regret from him in the episode). He's clamer than immediately post-boot, but still a little bittercakes. Most interesting is that RC learned that Skupin did not vote according to their pact, and she is not happy. She said that Penner stayed true to her and Skupin didn't - which could cost Skupin a vote at the end.

Also, Jeff shaves into a frightening mustache :yikes: and crows about how awesome he is that no one knew he's a big fancy baseball superstar. Of course, there's no indication that he recognized Lisa, and she is far more recognizable in the general public than a baseball star is (come on, he's not A-Rod, or Ichiro). He also did tear his MCL on the first day. I do give him props for playing with a minimal of fuss - has it even been mentioned since ep 2?
  18. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

What was Jeff P's comment at the end about "this might go down in Survivor history as the biggest missed opportunity"??! a) whose missed opportunity and b) if I can guess whose missed opportunity, haven't you just given away the ending? There's no way that comment would have been left in if there weren't a Pagonging coming up. :(

It does seem silly that the minority characters are leaving such an obvious an alliance of three. I guess Lisa thinks it's an alliance of four, but doesn't she know she's fourth?
  19. genevieve

this was addressed in EW's follow up with Probst (no spoilers)... I had taken it at the time as Jeff identifying Pete as the mastermind who needed to be taken out, which fits with the confessionals and behind the scenes info we've gotten but not necessarily with what everyone in the game has seen/heard, so I was a little surprised. but I thought maybe jeff was just joining in with the "all cards on the table" MO of that Tribal :p Apparently Probst was specifically referring to Penner, about his having blown the opportunity to form a solid alliance. I don't know that I believe it, though, since that alliance had already turned its back on him; even if Penner had voted with them I think jeff would have been back to his anti-Penner obsession really quickly.
  20. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I donn't believe that either. It was apparent last week that Penner had lost his alliance and he had to play the idol.
  21. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I thought it was the missed opportunity to get rid of Malcolm - who is clearly a threat to the end and has an idol, and didn't play it. Had enough of them voted for him - as Lisa had suggested at the beginning - a major threat would have been eliminated, along with an idol.
  22. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

That must have been what Probst meant, since they kept cutting to Malcolm, who looked part relieved but also part confused/unhappy. Who knows. Next episode's fallout should be fun.

And I think the tribe is severely underestimating the importance that just three more days can have on a player's game. Sure, Penner is in pretty dire straights, but any additonal time he has in the game gives him a chance to figure out a plan that keeps his name off the chopping block. I mean, how often do we see people say, "So-and-so is DEFINITELY going next" and so-and-so DOESN"T go next? Because stuff happens. And honestly, the mess that tribal counsel was could be really good for Penner...now that emotions are high, idols are out and people are having panic attacks or not being sure what to do, he can swoop in and solve some people's problems by voting with them, therefore prolonging his stay.

It ALWAYS happens. Always, always, always. I can only think of a handful of times that a person truly was a dead man in that there was not much they could do to change their fate. I don't think this is one of those times.
  23. Prancer

That was how I took it--they had all missed a great opportunity to take out a strong player AND an HII.
  24. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Finally got to see the EP tonight, and wow, best EP of the season and one of the best in a while. Part of that is the editing heightened to tension, but nonetheless, dang fun.

I would love to know how Abi gets along in the real world with an attitude like that. She better run her own business because nobody is going to want to work with her.

Anyway, I love how Lisa is playing. She may not win, but she sure is making people nervous.

Oh, and I did say upthread that that Jeff Kent was an asshat, nice to see he confirmed it. :lol:
  25. genevieve

In the EW article, Probst himself says that his comment was about Penner not siding with the other 5.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/08/survivor-philippines-jeff-probst-episode-8/
  26. Prancer

Tidbits from Sucks:

Jonahan tweeted that he didn't want to talk about the Abi vote because he might accidentally spoil.
    Abi retweeted this :eek:.

There must be DEVELOPMENTS :cheer2:

Malcolm tweeted: OMG OK THIS WEEK'S SURVIVOR EP IS OVER -- QUICK, EVERYBODY TWEET THEIR EX POST FACTO SELF-SERVING INTERPRETATION OF WHAT HAPPENED!!!

:lol: I think that is a dig at R, who is bragging her head off and dropping spoilers (or what seem like spoilers) right and left.

Skupin is promising that things are going to get even crazier.

And someone over there posted photos of Jonathan naked. I keep running into them and it is :yikes:
  27. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Who is "R"? RC?
  28. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Malcolm's commentary is always so on point; I'm a little in love with him. :D
  29. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Which is silly. There weren't five other votes against Pete; there were four. The most Jonathan could have done was force a tie. He must have been paying better attention to the double-dealing Michael Skupin during Tribal Council than Jeff Probst was.
  30. Prancer

Grrr, yes.
  31. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Me too! He is the whole package, good looking and smart!
  32. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Another interesting episode this evening :)
  33. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

I'm a lot in love with him! :smokin:

Kudos to Lisa for upping her game big time! I'd love to see her in the final three.
  34. my little pony

such a good season! surprised lisa didnt vote w skupin
  35. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

mlp - I think Skupin jumped solo to take the heat off of Lisa. She did him a favor last TC, now he's helping her keep her word. Can't wait for Abi's witchy wounded act next episode. I would have targeted Pete though if I was Penner. Artis was a non entity in the game. Pete's the physical threat.

Major props to Artis for his exit interview - very classy. I might need to go look up the Ponderosa episodes now. :watch:
  36. purple skates

:cheer2: Awesome episode.
  37. my little pony

i think they picked artis and not pete in case abi gave pete her idol, although it doesnt seem like her to do that
  38. purple skates

I remember Denise saying something like that, mlp.
  39. Ares

Ares Guest

Yay! :cheer2:

I wish Lisa would have been the flipper to stick it to Abi, but it worked out either way. Penner knows this game so well. The story of the good guys vs bad guys he told to Lisa is pretty much exactly the story this season. While he's not who I'm rooting for the win, it wouldn't disappoint me if he did. The 6 good guys are all worthy of the win, it's actually going to be sad when they eventually have to turn on each other.

Good to see Denise back in decision making position. She was starting to get a little under the radar the last couple episodes. One of the great things about this season is there aren't any under the radar players.

RC and Jeff make a cute couple.
  40. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Yes a great episode. I do appreciate how Penner and Skupin are respectful to Lisa for her choices.
    I love Penner, but I noticed a wedding ring. :( And Malcolm, I already knew he was smart and good looking and nice, but good with kids and was a teacher - what is not to love.
    Artis - his exit speech - too bad we did not see him like that before.
    Abi - what a very miserable person. She is so clueless as to what is going on.
    Yea - Denise!
    So still hoping final 4 are Denise, Malcolm, Penner and Lisa. Skupin can be #5.
    (note - I am still having trouble reconciling the Skupin we see know with the Skupin I remember from Aus that killed the boar)