Survivor Philippines (Season 25)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Catherine M, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I remembered a similar reward that was mentioned above, and went back to check. It was Doritoes and Mountain Dew that was a reward in Australia. A little better than beer, but jeesh, not by much.

It's been a couple of seasons since I remember Jeff telling them that they couldn't sit people out in back-to-back challenges. Maybe they still enforce it but don't show him explaining it anymore, I'm not sure. Although Abi did sit out a lot of the challenges early, the first 3 or 4 episodes didn't have a reward challenge at all. And then she was going to participate in the giant ball challenge this last week, but the compromise happened before she even got a turn. Probst conveniently forgot about that when he ragged on her in the immunity challenge.

You're not the only one :)
  2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Interesting that Katie complained that Jeff made her look like more of a challenge loser than she was, just as we were talking here about how he's being unduly hard on Abi, and even poor Dana. Mind you, Katie seems a bit of a whiner, but still, it does seem like they are setting this up for a bunch of challenge kings/physical players to make it to the end.

As for Dawson, what an idiot. She had a golden opportunity to gain Jeff K's protection but didn't have a clue what to do with the info, and now from that interview we find she had another piece of choice intel - that Denise fully plans to get back with Malcolm. They've seen Malcolm in challenges - she only had to tell the guys that Denise is only riding them until merge, and if they are smart they should get rid of her now because she may be good for the team now, but she's a major threat as an individual. Of course, that info might only be hindsight on Dawson's part - thinking she saw that coming when in fact she didn't - I do have a hard time believing Denise would reveal something so important.

The strength of Denise and Malcolm's alliance ala Colby-Tina was that no one was really onto it until they got voted out. I would have thought that they'd make an effort to distance themselves on their new tribes and make people forget that they were once on the same team.
  3. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Ah yes, Malcolm and Denise do have an alliance that remind me a lot of Colby / Tina. Which indicates why Jeff is in love with Malcolm, as he was with Colby :lol:
  4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

if that's true, I can only hope the result will be the same as S2 :D
    Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  5. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Why ? So far Malcolm isn't as bad as Colby was. We'll see :)
  6. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

In the first season, there was a beer reward. One beer for the winner of the reward challenge. My, how things have changed!
  7. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Burnett wrote a book during the filming of Survivor 1 that makes for an interesting read. There was a reward that was supposed to be a beer (maybe another one?), but the players were all really exhausted and had it in their heads that the reward was going to be something really good. At the last minute, they put together a makeshift reward that involved taking Kelly to a local bar for some beers and respite from the game - funny thing was, it was only the crew's commissary, and all the people in the background at this bar were crew. She was blindfolded there and back, so had no idea she wasn't at a real bar.

Rewards have come a long way, but when was the last time someone got a car?
  8. genevieve

In S1 there was a pizza reward - I think the whole tribe had to share one slice :p. I remember it because Rudy declined.

And when Kelly was taken to the "bar", she and Jeff watched the premiere of Survivor. I'm not sure if they really were watching the show at around the same time it was broadcast, but I do know the lag time between filming and airing was not much, so it was plausible.

Perhaps they eliminated the car reward because of the "curse"? :p (more likely they just haven't gotten any car sponsors in a while)
  9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

IIRC, Survivor 1 started airing while they were still playing the game, I think the only time that happened. Makes it a lot harder to manipulate the show for storylines - kinda wish we could go back to that, but then again we'd likely miss things that didn't seem important to the producers at the time but ended up affecting the game.

I think it's also the only time the winner was announced to the players at final TC.
  10. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

It sounds like she just got a sneak preview of the first episode. Filming appeared to take place Mar-Apr 2000 but didn't premiere until the end of May.
  11. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

IIRC, they watched the first 15 minutes of the first episode.
  12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

This is from imdb:

13. genevieve

14. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Ding!

They have had rewards that have involved beer, though, or at least they have given the players beer a few times. I remember this because booted contestants have complained that the beer is disgusting. Since Survivor doesn't have a beer sponsor, they always give the players whatever local brew is the cheapest. You will notice that there is never a label on the bottles. :lol:

It used to be that they based rewards on whatever the players were most craving, which is why there are things like pizza and Doritos and chocolate and peanut butter instead of healthy foods. From what Jeff has said about product placement, they will tie rewards to products whenever possible, so I think the selection has changed somewhat to reflect that. I was shocked that the letters from home last week were actual letters and not videos on a Sprint phone.
  15. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I remember Kelly eating what looked like pasta with ketchup on it.
  16. genevieve

what a tense episode - so much potential for a zillion different alliance configurations! I'm disappointed that Jeff and his minion went with voting out RC, although I'm not surprised. I can only hope that Jeff gets his comeuppance down the road. He's so obsessed with lasting longer than Penner - I really, really, really want him to go out first, now :p

I do get why Skupin changed his vote - if he hadn't, and there'd been a tie between Pete and RC, RC would've lost on the revote and Skupin would be outed as voting against his tribe. Sigh.

Lisa revealing pretty much everything going on :rofl:

Pete and Abi are despicable, which will probably make them 2 of the final 3 :blah:

Yay to Denise for finally having immunity, even if she still had to go to Tribal.
  17. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

And yet her alliance still seemed to think there were only two HIIs in play. :watch:

I really, really don't like Abi. I remember in the first episode thinking I hated RC, but Abi is so obnoxious I was rooting for her in the end. Ah well.
  18. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Yeah, I kind of grew to have some affection for RC in the end. She actually reminds me a bit of Eliza where she came across as a bit annoying at first, but on reflection, I can't really see anything wrong with her. And given who the people are on the show that don't like her, it makes me think there's a lot more wrong with them than with her. Good for her for having a classy exit too (although I wouldn't be shocked to see her be a bitter juror).

Anyone get the feeling that Abi has actually started to believe her own lies about the HII? I mean, I guess she really does think that RC left the clue out, but I think she is so stupid that she doesn't understand that she's even more deceitful. Can't stand that girl either.
  19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I thought it was 5 votes Penner, 4 votes RC and 2 votes Pete, so RC was going no matter how Skupin voted.

Since the majority (without Penner, Skupin and RC) went with the split vote plan, I'm guessing that RC thought that she and Skupin were joining Penner's tribe and voting off Pete? And Penner thought the same thing?

So why didn't Skupin vote with RC? I guess they told him last minute that it was Penner and he didn't have time to communicate with RC? Odd.

I figured that the split vote plan was going to happen when they went to TC without telling us who the other Skupin/RC/Penner's tribe potential alliance was going to target - that was never shown, so you knew that alliance wasn't happening.

:cheer: Penner for knowing when to play his idol, and :lol: at smartass Pete thinking that Matsing's idol is out of play. Interesting that Lisa dodged Jeff's direct question about the threat of Denise/Malcolm getting back together - must be her old media training from back in the day :)

Indeed - imagine RC at home watching the show and finding out that Abi blabbed about the clue RC found, brought in Pete without consulting her, and proceeded to hunt down the idol without her - and did she even tell RC once it had been found?

Also, we've started the jury now with 11 players, so looks like it will be a 9 jury/2 finalists ending.
  20. genevieve

you're right - for some reason I thought we were already at 11 and the votes had been 5 Penner/3 RC/2 Pete, in which case changing 1 vote from Penner to Pete would have forced the revote between RC and Pete.

I'm not looking forward to the Penner explosion next week - makes me think it's his last hurrah. Was really hoping we could get yet another cross-tribe alliance going (Penner/Skupin) for some verrry interesting moves, but it looks like Penner will just blast Skupin.
  21. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

On the preview it looks like Penner will go for broke. Will he win immunity?
  22. genevieve

a la Shii Ann in the first Survivor ASS? But that wuold only buy him a week (er...3 days). le sigh
  23. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

lol. Poor Shii Ann. I liked her.
    MK06Gold likes this.
  24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

If everyone told Penner that Skupin/RC were joining him/Jeff/Carter/Denise and voting for Pete, then he knows immediately that Skupin deceived him -which given that Penner reached out to him and offered to bring him in, I can see where he'd be mad. Mind you, he should know enough about Survivor by now not to make it personal, but to use the information and move on. He's also got to be pissed at Jeff, because he trusted him with the idol info, and it's now clear that Jeff used that against him and masterminded the split vote.

Hopefully they've done one of their usual overblown promos, and Penner keeps his cool for the most part. There are still a lot of cracks he could be working, and it's a long 3 days to the next TC.

Surprising that no one seems to be thinking that Denise and Malcolm would work together - Jeff/Carter/Penner certainly weren't considering it, thinking Denise is with them.

Also, a bit annoyed that suddenly Penner just knew about Lisa and was talking openly about it. I guess they didn't catch the moment when he told her he knows who she is on camera, but they could have filled it in with a confessional from either of them. If you are going to have celebrities hiding their identities, you need to give us the payoff when someone IDs them. Of course Penner was likely to figure it out given his age and that he's worked in Hollywood for decades, but I feel deprived of a moment there. :drama:
  25. genevieve

I thought that WAS Penner's way of telling her he knew...I think if there's beeen a big "zOMG you're BLAIR WARNER" we would have seen it, and it's totally Penner's style to just sidle up with the info as if it's no big deal.

I was shocked that Malcolm flat out told Lisa about it :eek: that could be some very useful info for her if she uses it correctly.
  26. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Yeah I wondered that, but then we missed Lisa's reaction - where was the confessional? Guess I've just been waiting for this, and Dawson knowing Jeff already fizzled, and then this was less than dramatik. Didn't help that my tv listing said "Lisa is confronted by her celebrity past," which sounds much more exciting than what actually happened. :lol:

And yes, Malcolm does seem to have a soft spot for the older ladies :grope:
  27. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

This older lady has a thing for Malcolm too.
  28. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

I have to agree, it was nice to finally have someone play the HII and have it make a difference.

And it's fun to see that Lisa is really getting into the game. She seems like a really decent person (that usually doesn't bode well for game play, save JT) and I hope she goes far, though I doubt she will make the finals.

Not as impressed with Skupin's gameplay, though I am glad he made the merge.

I'm really enjoying this season. You have some villians, some heroes, and quite a few under the radar. I mean, how many words have we actually heard Artis say? Other than objecting to the trade off during the reward challenge, he's been pretty mute.

A long ways to go, should be quite a ride.
  29. Prancer

I was completely confuzzled by Jeff's strategy and was yelling at the TV through the whole broadcast. You are in the minority tribe. You KNOW that the majority tribe will pick off the minority tribe after the merge unless the minority tribe can find a way to break up the majority tribe. The majority tribe breaks and you find yourself with a way to make the majority tribe the minority tribe--and instead of doing this, you decide to join forces with the majority tribe against a loyal tribemate.

Why not just vote yourself out and save everyone else the trouble?

The majority tribe, of course, is delighted to take an HII out of play and block their outcasts from joining the minority tribe, so they fall in with your plan. But as soon as they do, Penner's threat factor drops; he's not a challenge hog and he's not popular. And who does the majority tribe always target after a merge? The strongest immunity threats from the minority tribe. And who would that be, who would that be.......why, look at the finalists in the first post-merge immunity challenge! Three members of the minority tribe! Denise is a female, so she won't be the first target. But Jeff and Carter? My money is on them to go just as soon as they don't win immunity.

And I'm not the only one who thinks so; Artis pretty much lays it out on Insider just as I saw it.

Jeff is an idiot. I will scream if Penner doesn't outlast him.

ETA: Paid a visit to Sucks and saw a Jonathan tweet: Jeff (and carter) are taking the flak, but was denise who stayed w malcom and when she wouldn't vote w us, skup and RC, our plan fell apart

Cursed editing!

He also said that the original name of the merged tribe was F*ckingrayne because it had been raining for so many days in a row, but the producers told them no. :lol:
  30. genevieve

It certainly was suspicious that we didn't see ANY conversations with Denise about the vote...

Jeff :blah: Anytime a player is completely obsessed with getting rid of one particular person, not because of that person's game play (in the CURRENT game) but because of some superficial reason, they are playing a losing game. The biggest skill needed in Survivor is the ability to shift your game on a dime based on what's going on on the ground; focusing on petty reasons to get rid of someone shuts out all the other critical information. I had hopes for Jeff when he made the (temporary) alliance with Penner, thinking he could adapt his game, but no.
    smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  31. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

So Denise and Malcolm are now outed? Dumb move on their part if so - because as long as neither of them is in danger, there's no need to vote together. If Pete was the target, so be it - he's got to go at some point, so why not now. They could have straddled both alliances for a time, sharing info, keeping each other off the block.
  32. Fridge_Break

Line of the season, for me, from Malcolm in regards to Lisa finding his immunity idol: "Hallelujah, the church lady found it.. hopefully she has a heart!" :rofl: I had to pause the video until I could stop laughing.
  33. Ares

Ares Guest

I'm loving this season. There's so many small alliances and free agents, each week it can go any way. This episode was so suspenseful to me, by the time everyone was walking to tribal I couldn't take it anymore and had to fast forward to the vote. :lol:

I hope the Abi, Pete, Artis alliance doesn't take control of the game. They're so unpleasant. The other 7 are all fun to watch though. Even Jeff's vacant manbot friend is fascinating to me. I wonder if he can make it the whole season without his face showing an actual expression.
  34. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I agree. I thought last episode was everyone's chance to break that up. BUT...getting rid of unlikeable people is a stupid movie. Good game play is to get rid of likeable people who can take votes from you with their likeability factor. The smartest gameplay is to take two a**-****s with you to the final tribal council. That said, it's not fun to have to watch smug, nasty people like these three every week. Unless two of them (Abi and Pete?) get to the end and don't get a single vote. I would love to see that!! :cheer:
  35. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

After last week episode, I'm beginning to feel sure that Denise will win it. She must. She is amazing in all the possible ways IMO.
    And Malcolm could help her there. I am praying ! :)
  36. Fridge_Break

Denise, Lisa, Malcolm, Jeff, & Penner winning reward <3 Final 5, plz! Denise, Lisa, Malcolm for F3, plz!

Lisa's in this to win it :respec: Denise is a rockstar :encore:
  37. Fridge_Break

Complete strategy clusterfeck!! When's the last time we saw something like this with people going in SO many directions?! I love it! The 3-tribe format this season really has broken up the dominant 5-person alliance and it's great.
  38. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I loved the boot! :kickass:
  39. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Jeff (the ball player) revealed what a twit he is in his exit interview. Blech.

So glad that Lisa really seems to be playing now. I just wish that she and hottie Malcolm were aligned.
  40. Prancer

That was such a strange Tribal Council. Lisa just really lays it all out there, doesn't she? And they were all openly scrambling right there until the end.

Penner obviously threw away his vote on Abi, but why? Avoiding a tie or just letting the chips fall where they may? I really wish they still showed the vote comments on Insider.

I really like Penner, so I was glad to see him win immunity. It was kind of funny to see him greet RC at TC--the two of them are apparently really tight, but it was never shown on the show and then suddenly, there he is being the only one who seems happy to see her. Weird editing.