Survivor Philippines (Season 25)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Catherine M, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

When you are young, put on the spot, and trying not to say something that will make anyone else mad and might even make them laugh, you often come up with something stupid. The same thing happens when you are older and running for political office.

2. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

Apparently they stopped giving them condoms, because Erik the ice cream scooper from Hell said that he had found a way to start a fire with a condom and was crushed when there weren't any in the supplies.

Yeah, she was clearly looking for something to say that wouldn't involve talking about anyone else. It may have made her look stupid, but she didn't make a pointless attack on Roxy or offend anyone else.

3. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Glad Lisa is still on. I'm surprised she isn't acing the social aspect either (even if, after all these years, I still don't quite get it myself :lol:). Just from my perception she seems like she would be one of those outgoing, bubbly type people. Even if she hasn't really acted since she was a teenager, she does have trained experience at knowing how to act. She should try to like create a 'part' for myself to play and use those acting skills to play the part, you know?

I'm not surprised that the younger people don't recognize her because they probably are to young to know anything about Facts of Life. It went off the air in like 1989, right? It doesn't run in perpetual repeats like Seinfeld and Friends does (no matter when I turn on my TV, those shows are on), so I can see anyone under 25-30 not knowing her, especially if they never watched the show when they were under 10 years old.

Works the same way in that I would have no freaking clue who the baseball player was if I was there. If you aren't a big baseball fan, you'd have no clue who he was. Same if you never watched Facts of Life, you'd have no clue who Lisa was.

And I almost think that the first time the Yellow team loses, they should vote of Michael simply for his own safety! :lol: He seems to be a little, uhm ... accident prone. :yikes:

4. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I was going through the channel guide last night, and there was Facts of Life. So I watched an episode. It was one of the later ones, after they were out of the school, and someone would definitely be able to recognize her now -- at least to the "you look familiar point" -- if they saw one of those episodes.

5. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

:wall: I'm so annoyed at the purple team! :wall: Basically, they're all a bunch of dumbasses except for Denise. The rest of them keep vying for Most Idiotest. They are collectively stupiter than a died rock! I won't miss Roxy's eye rolling or the way she completely blew having the upper hand, but I really wish Angie had been voted off. She's every bit as useless as Roxy was, and I think this little episode will drive her and Malcolm closer, which could cause problems for Denise before she gets a chance to align with other players who aren't complete morons.

And I just want to clock Malcolm upside the head. "I came into this game determined not to hook up. But I am powerless against a tiny blonde who strokes my.......ego. How'd that happen? Herp derp de derp..." Dumbass :rolleyes: (that's from me, not Roxy :D )

Overall weird editing this week. Such as...

They made it look like Lisa just left without saying anything, but I am guessing she went to pee, or just said that's where she was going, and used the time to have a private moment - which admittedly was a better choice than crying in front of the rest of them - and that anytime Lisa is not in front of them, they talk about her.

TOTALLY! :lol:

Ardis is the Boy Dana (I only figured out tonight that they were separate people).

dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Regarding Lisa - I saw online she was divorced a week before she left for filming. I assume her sadness may relate to that, and she may be keeping it to herself. Just a thought. I like her and hope she does not get the boot too soon.

Oh Malcolm, don't be an idiot and have it impact Denise's game as well. A 2 person alliance in a group of 4.
    Abi & RC - what a crazy relationship - and Abi - paranoia!
    Penner - too funny when he found the idol. If someone notices its missing, he could say it was poorly made??? In another tribe - what if it just fell off, and nobody thinks what it is - could be lost?? Hee hee.
    Still too many people that we do not know much about.

7. genevieve

I will say - the example of giving it everything you have? Penner hurling himself across the table to smack that last piece in when the red team was thisclose to losing immunity, while purple team dithered. Never give up.

Although, with this ep's weird editing, maybe the two tribes weren;t close at all at the end :p

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:lol: I think they often make it look closer than it is, but in this challenge they did a lot of long shots, and I think it really was that close.

I'd want Penner on my team for challenges for sure!

re Malcolm - I'm hoping that was just a lot of editing to build up to Roxy's demise, because I really thought he was more of a gamer than that. I wonder if after TC Denise will smack some sense into him, saying that if it wasn't for the need to keep someone strong for challenges, his head would have been on the block - and certainly past merge when strong guys are targets rather than valued assets.

9. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Malcom seems like a real decent guy, my guess is that he'll wise up at some point. Denise seems very smart and wise, if she makes the merge I give he a decent shot at winning it all.

BTW, did you folks notice that Jeff Kent had a knee brace on during the IC. Didn't know they allowed that.

And the Abi/RC thing has to implode at some point. Maybe when their tribe goes to TC??

All in all, a decent start to the season.

10. Prancer

My husband noticed that and was :eek:, but they've been allowing the cast to have some medical treatment during the show so they have fewer medical evacs. Eliza complained that during her first season, if you got a machete cut, you tried to hide it and prayed it wouldn't get infected because you didn't want to be evacced, but on her last season, they would come running with the disinfectant and bandaids, and she thought it was making people wimpy.

11. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I was giving her a (healthy dose) of the benefit of the doubt by thinking that was her way of saying "harmony". :D

12. genevieve

she's a dumbass.

;)

I can't wait to see how Jeff handles Skupin's constant injuries at the reunion. I'm guessing that we'll get a highlight reel (I'm assuming/hoping none will match the severity of his S2 injuries).

13. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

If Malcom aka Orlando Bloom reject was really serious about playing the game and not wanting to have a hookup get in the way of anything, how hard could it be to get everyone else in on the nighttime cuddling so it's not just the two of them? Surely he could have just said, "Hey Roxy, it's been really cold at night...do you want to scoot over so we can share body warmth?" Then she'd have no grounds to complain, even if she declined.

I dunno, maybe I don't know how people operate, lol. I'm not touchy feely at all and I can't imagine I'd want to snuggle up with some stranger who probably smells disgusting, but warmth is warmth. At the very least, having someone next to you would be good for blocking the wind. ;)

14. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

We're assuming he lives to the end.

He might get one of those In Memoriam clips.

15. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Malcom needs to secure his alliance with Denise and keep his pecker in his pocket.

16. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

There's no evidence that Malcom's pecker has made an appearance on the show.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  17. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

The Blue / purple tribe makes me ... sad and furious at the same time. Pleaaase get rid of Russell. I couldn't stand him in his season, can't stand him now too. He's so annoying.

I wish Penner would go too !! Boo !!

18. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Can we just go ahead and disband the blue tribe now and split the players with the other 2 tribes? I mean, they are just pitiful. If this keeps up, the other 2 tribes will have no choice but to sit at least 1 player out 2 challenges in a row, which is typically a Survivor no-no.

I feel sorry for Denise and Malcolm.

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

eys, somewhere Stephanie is throwing things at her tv.

This is tiresome for me too, as necessarily they've focused almost completely on that team. On the yellow, things are finally starting to get interesting with the dude and the annoying Latina woman doing some double and triple dealing, but I was startled to see the big black man on that team - where has he been? It's worse on the red team - we only know Penner and the baseball player - the rest are people who apparently hide in the cave and just show up in the background at challenges.

I know she's cute (and I seriously admire her positivity), but for someone who was voted out 3rd, Angie got WAY too much air time.

20. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Ashley's a nice girl bu is too young/immature to play the game. She reminds me somewhat of adorable Colleen from Season 1, but the game play is different now and Ashley can't keep up.

Abby's too b*tchy. I wonder if she has more male friends than female friends outside of the game? RC made a big mistake in trusting Abby too quickly.

I was surprised also to see Artis speak in this episode. I was like, "Who are you?" :lol:

21. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Denise is a fecking ROCKSTAR! :respec: Can we just have a tribe of her and Malcolm, please? I'm convinced they'd be competitive without the rest of the idiots.. aka Russell who has been one big colossal disappointment. He said that diving down 10 feet isn't his strength. Well neither is assigning positions for relay challenges, and neither is selecting rewards that will benefit your tribe the most... I really don't know if he has any strengths, because we certainly haven't seen any of them.

I love how after the challenge, Angie came up to Denise and Malcolm and said "this is such a tough decision tonight!" with Russell being the only tribe member not standing right there.

Liking Jeff a whole lot more than I thought I would. He's pretty smart, and I kind of :rofl: 'ed at his 4-finger handshake explanation afterwards.

Can't wait for the epic bitchfight between Abi and RC that's bound to come soon. I highly doubt that the news about the HII will be kept secret with Abi's big mouth. I think she's the first person in the history of Survivor to find the idol and then proceed to shout, "OH MY GOD I JUST FOUND THE IDOL!!!!!!" I'm surprised no one else heard her, sheesh.

I am looooving this season so far.

22. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I couldn't believe how strong Denise was! LOVE!
    Russell pisses me off for so many reasons. He has the clue for the HI and hasn't looked for it? What a waste.

23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I did think the double dealing on the yellow tribe was interesting. It looked like it was going to be all about RC and Abby, with celebrities Lisa and Mike on the sidelines, but out of nowhere we suddenly have Pete getting hard core on us.

Firstly, Abby should not have told him about the HI clue - RC found it, so in an alliance, she's the one who should have decide who and when others would be informed.

Then there's Pete saying the very true "alliances are only good on the day they are formed" - so true. Every since Richard Hatch players here and on BB have been overly focused on the word alliance without really dedicating themselves to what it means. Most of the time it mean nothing.

Then, he immediately goes off to Lisa with his new knowledge (which I don't think he shared) and lays out a completely different scenario than the one Abby thinks he has with RC and Artis! Total lone wolf, until of course he's right behind Abby finding that HI.

I would love to know the rules on HI. I get the impression that players are no supposed to search other player's bags - otherwise why would Penner feel safe putting his in his bag? But what about when they hide it in the woods? In theory, you could say Pete cannot steal it now. But what if another player finds it, not knowing who found it and hid it in the first place? Could Pete sortakinda lead Lisa in the right direction to "find" it?

And finally, while I'm on that tribe, along with Russell reminding us why we had all written him out of our minds last time with an increasingly disappointing performance, now we have the Boar Killer Fire Face Hero years ago turn out to be the biggest klutz on the planet, and for me at least, no more than comic relief. Only Penner seems to actually belong there - ironically I thought the one who shouldn't be there because it's a 3rd chance not a second, but seeing him in action, I want him there now, and I want him to go far.

24. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Luv Denise!!! She and Malcolm have a great alliance, and they might get split up??
    Russell - what a waste. So true what was said before that it looks like Penner, who initially seemed the least deserving of the returnees is playing the best of the 3!
    So true - Angie got too much screen time. But at least Malcolm was not blinded by her.
    Jeff - I am liking him, smart guy.
    They showed a little of the other 2 tribes, wish there was more. Pete is playing.
    Abi - please get voted out soon!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I thought that was pretty pathetic, myself. "Where I come from it's not a deal unless it was a manly handshake". Is it manly to lie where you come from? It sounded like an eight year old child who felt that what they said didn't count because they had their fingers crossed behind their back. :rolleyes:

26. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

ITA. I thought it was pretty wtf myself.

27. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

It was WTF, but I just found it hilarious. I have an abnormal sense of humor.

28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

We go through this nonsense on BB all the time, with people inside and outside the house arguing over the validity of handshakes, pinky swears, swearing on the bible/your spouse/your children/your mother/your grandfather's cross/your wedding ring, and one's "word."

It's a game where lying and betrayal are completely within the rules, and often a necessary part of the game. Why anyone feels it necessary to give themselves a way out (like this bizarre form of handshake, or crossing your fingers, or saying that swearing on your wife is OK because you are playing for the benefit of both of you) is beyond me, and even more so, why any players get upset when these promises are broken is beyond me. It's a GAME.

Wil, one of this year's BB players who went home early, said it best at the finale (paraphrasing): Quit bitching that you were lied to - take some responsibility and accept that you fell for it.

29. Prancer

I was pretty startled during the intro last night at just how many people I didn't recognize. Who the heck are those people?

They are not allowed to take each other's stuff, so if Penner has it in his bag, it's his and even if they find it in his bag (remember Gabon? And didn't a tribe also go through Yau Man's bag looking in Yau Man's first season?), they can't take it.

But someone asked Jeff last season what would happen if a player hid the HII in the woods and another player found it, and Jeff said, well, that would be interesting, because it wouldn't be in anyone's possession and so it would be fair game.

Whether that's actually in the rules or not, I don't know; Jeff sometimes talks off the top of his head. But I would think that the producers would looooooooooooooooooooooooooove it if someone found an HII another player had buried.

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I would love it even more if Pete got someone else to "find" it :EVILLE:

It would be relatively easy - he just needs to explain it to Lisa or whoever when there are no cameras around, arrange to go picking berries or something with them, casually drop a pre-arranged signal for the other person to see then or later, and send that person off to retrieve it on a supposed latrine or water trip. The whole thing could happen off camera, before TPTB had a chance to make any decisions about it.

How cool would it be if the bitchy young girls try to vote off Lisa, and she comes out with an HI that no one knew she had??

What actually happens is likely to be more boring. :lol: