Survivor Philippines (Season 25)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Catherine M, Aug 20, 2012.

1. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

They would if they could work in a sponsor for one.

2. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

"Look at how powerfully the KitchenAid blender just powers through those bones. We'll add just a little Coke for flavoring, because things go better with Coke. Mmmm, here you go, blended extra smooth and served in a fine Libby glass, available now at a K-Mart near our viewers at home."

3. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I might be mistaken, but I believe the last local food challenge was in Samoa, Russell's first season. They made "Survivor Smoothies" for that one. Bleargh.

4. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

:rofl:

This would only work if they gave the tribes the recipe on a Sprint phone. :p

5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

We're here at last! Big Brother promises to be a photo finish, so hopefully we are in for a great night all round.

Remember no season spoilers please, and no hints either!!

6. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

No comments on the first episode yet? Well, first impressions...interesting to see the number of people who are hiding their identities and who had them figured out - I'm very curious to see who will be outed. RC is probably fairly safe, as she doesn't have the issue of someone recognizing her.

Not disappointed that Zane got booted out, as he was already getting annoying...although Russell was also pretty irritating, so I felt like it was a win-win situation either way. I really like the Malcolm-Denise alliance on that tribe. Penner reminded me why I liked him all along and I hope his tribe keeps winning so he doesn't get the boot right away. Skupin also had a good start, although I had to laugh at the observation about "now I know why he had to get med-evac'd".

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  7. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I know it's been ages since the Australia season, but I really don't remember Skupin being that much of a klutz (aside from the accident that took him out, I guess). He's worse than Fabio was!

Russell made me :lol: and then :rolleyes: with the whole "I'm not the leader. Now let's do this, and then we'll do this, and then after that we're going to do this ..." Way to not be the leader there, dude.

RC and Abi were annoying the crap out of me, which probably means they're the final two.

Lisa seems very sweet but like she really doesn't have a clue how to bond with the other players. Skupin's excitement over her was very cute, though.

I'm kind of going to miss Zane even though he was annoying. His explanation of his Frankenstein tattoo had me rolling.

8. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I forgot this was on until 8:30! :fragile:

Zane was entertaining for 2 minutes. And then he way overplayed his hand by blatantly making alliances with everyone, and then bragging about it. He thought he was so unique, but his plan was straight out of the Russell Hantz playbook, down to the Dumb Girl Alliance - only it looks like there's only one dumb girl on this tribe, so too bad!

Good for Russell for realizing that he made a huge mistake, but if he can't rein in his behavior in the first 3 days of the game, is he likely to check himself as things get tougher?

I like Denise and Morgan on that tribe.

Penner is also playing way too hard, but I missed the beginning, maybe he realized there was no shot with this group anyway?

OMG Skupin and his constant injuries! :scream:

9. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I don't understand Zane. His big ploy to get people to favour him and keep him in the game...and then he tells everyone that Russell, the one they would have voted for instead of him..."most definitely" has the immunity idol. So after you set yourself up to stay, you evict your stupid ass by telling everybody "you can't vote for the guy with the Immunity Idol". That was just all KINDS of stoopid... :huh:

10. Prancer

God, yes. Loathe them both. But I did nearly fall off the couch laughing when Abi sort of pushed herself right in front of Pete (?) the engineering student and then stretched while standing too close to him, arching back so her boobs were right in his face. PML! Subtle she is not.

I couldn't understand half of what he said.

Not from what they showed; he started looking for the HII right off while everyone else sort bonded.

11. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

You could easily tell from the edit that Zane was going to get the boot.

Russell's "i'm not the leader, but do as I say" bit was really stupid, and may still come back to haunt him.

I now think that unless Jeff's knee is really bad, he may hang around for a while. Until he get's outed that is! Nobody is going to want to keep a zillionaire around.

And I'm really impressed with the sex therapist. She seems very wise, and could be a dark horse in the competition.

And I sort of felt sorry for Lisa. Being shunned as the "older woman" is probably hard for her to deal with. But she's got to find a way to hang around.

12. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

BTW, baseball fun fact about Jeff. he is a big motocross rider, but one year he was fooling around on his bike and he fell off and broke his wrist right before the spring training. He then lied to the Giants about how he did it, only to get found out later. So deceit is definately in his makeup.

13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Great start, lots of people who seem to be there to play.

I can see why the tribe voted out Zane, even though he was fun and not annoying like Russell (in addition to his I'm not the leader/I'm the leader, he was constantly doing the I've done this before thing, quite tiresome). The obvious point is that he was playing way to hard out of the gate - I hope that fells RC too, loathe her. I think it's also the shock of how hard the first comp is, and the panic that they really need people who can do comps in the first weeks, so in the end I think that's why Zane's gone.

Too bad - interesting player, interesting personality. Too hard, too fast and also too fancy - complicated strategies are for the Boston Robs and the BB Dans of the world, and need to come later in the game when you really know who you are dealing with.

And I see the casting department has delivered me a cute southern boy for the third time, sigh. :)

14. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Yes. Malcom is eye candy for da Mama this season.

15. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Zane is either an egoist or an idiot. Blowing the challenge and then stating that you should be voted off because of that, all the while expecting the others to like you well enough to keep you, is not very sound strategy.

16. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

But it was reverse psychology, silly. It's just that his tribemates were too stoopid to get that!! :lol:

17. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Great start.
    Love seeing Skupin again. I wonder if all the injuries are edited and occur over more than the first few days?? Of the 3 returnees - I love that he is not on his tribe's radar for eviction. His reaction about Blair/Lisa is very sweet like somebody said. Just a nice guy, one that I feel what we see is who he is in real life.
    Lisa is so not Blair! Seems like a really nice person, but it does look like the typical outcast of the older person.
    Penner - why is he here, oh he is a friend of Probst. I found I liked Penner at times and other times he annoyed me. He was getting in the annoying territory.
    Russell - other than his fainting, I could not remember him initially, now I do. Please go and not lead somewhere else.
    Denise - shrink - like her, smart and I love that a young guy (Malcolm ??) bonded with her. Smart to ally with people not in your demographic, people might not suspect and move further.
    Jeff - seems like a nice guy, and if not injured, will be nice to have around. But since at least 1 person knows who he is, he probably won't go far. I loved his comment about needing the money as basis to judge the winner - this is a game and that is what matters. Maybe they should just cast a bunch of millionaires and see how it goes (or a celebrity survivor which would be so fun).
    Zane - he just seemed almost a made up person - trying to be too many things - a little Russell Hantz, a little bit of Colton, and crazy like little Hantz (and I think Zane thought he was charming like Boston Rob - but not true).

18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

The first time this strategy was used successfully was way back to season 2 - Tina and Colby formed an alliance very early, kept it underwraps, and made it to F2.

Surprised people don't employ this more often - but then again nowadays there are so few true alliance that start early and last to the end. Everyone forms alliances all over the place and breaks them within days.

Plus, unfortunately older women seem to have a hard time connecting on this show, maybe because so many young people tend to be cast, and none of them want a mom around?

Also, if Lisa doesn't want to be recognized, she should have her hair tied back all the time. That 80s hairstyle of hers is iconic and probably what first caught Mike's eye.

19. Prancer

Someone asked Jeff last season how many of the Survivors he kept in touch with and he said that the only one he talked to was Boston Rob and that was it.

The Sucksters were agog--what happened to Colby and Andrew Savage, who were his friends for years?

Jeff does like Penner as a player, though. I'm not really sure why; Jonathan gets the game but he doesn't seem play it very well.

20. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

To me, Penner sounds like Alan Alda, so I sometimes think he is a wonderful person, like Hawkeye. They look nothing alike, but the voice!

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  21. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

Happy to see Zane gone! He was beyond annoying after the first minute or two.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Yeah, even though I like the guy, I agree that he doesn't seem to play it very well. But maybe the reason that Jeff likes him is that he does get it. And he seems to make things interesting at least. Jeff likes guys that make good TV and Jonathan is always good for a sound bite.

23. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I finally watched the premiere. Not much to add except I'm SO happy to see Mike Skupin back.

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Hope you had a nice anniversary dinner :)

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I wonder if Lisa's divorce right before leaving for Survivor affected her game play.

26. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Re-watching the episode to get a better grasp of players and names and tribes and such...

First general impressions are that the Philippines are completely BEAUTIFUL. :swoon: I'm watching in HD for the first time, and it was like a whole new experience. And a nice departure from Samoa (which was used 4 times in the last 6 seasons).

Also I'm glad to see they are doing a season with 3 tribes again. I am betting that they'll do what happened in All-Stars in that one tribe will be dissolved a few episodes in, which is unfortunate, but I guess has to happen to keep things relatively even if one tribe starts losing a ton.

You all know me, I am not a fan of returning players, and this is no exception. Either have all returning players, or no returning players. Blah. I liked Roxanne almost immediately because of the look of disgust on her face when Jeff announced there would be returnees. :D Also on a side note, has a woman ever had to leave the game due to medical purposes other than the girl who broke her wrist last season? When Jeff was introducing them at the start of the episode and they showed some clips, it had me thinking about it and I don't remember any women being plucked from the game due to dehydration/cuts & infections, etc.

I think that Russell is a complete dumbass. No leaders! One team! Oh hey, let's do it this way, our shelter will be here, you, the track athlete, will be working on the puzzle! :duh: Wasn't this the genius who chose the pillows and blankets for a reward over a tarp/fishing equipment/some other survival essential necessity just so that the women on his tribe would be happy? However I was super impressed that their tribe was able to start fire without flint or with using a lens. I don't think that's ever happened on Survivor before..?

Early favorites are Roxanne, Denise, Malcolm (I really thought he was going to be a royal douche-canoe going in, but as of the first eppy, he's good), Dana, and Lisa.

I recognized Jeff from being a casual baseball fan in my teens, I know he can be a hot-head, but he seems quite down-to-earth here. I hope he does well, too. It appears from the preview for next week that Lisa has the token middle-aged woman episode-2 breakdown. It happens almost ever season, it seems, and most of them have been able to rise above it and completely shine... thinking of Holly and Dawn in particular, I hope that Lisa can do the same!

I can see RC becoming the Conda (from Biggest Loser) of Survivor. Dear god, please no :scream: I'm also just waiting for her bra to come busting open, good grief.

Zane was one scatterbrained dumbass. I think announcing to half his tribe that he's made an alliance with everybody on their beach is up there as one of the dumbest moves we've seen over the years. Did he seriously think that was going to work to his advantage? Oyy.

I'm so much more amped up for this season than I have been the last few! :cheer2: It's probably the HD...

ETA: How ironic would it have been had they brought Boston Rob back for a season in the Phillipeans Philippines when it was his inability to spell the country correctly that got him and Amber booted off of Amazing Race All Stars? :p

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  27. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Good question. Do you count Kathy on Fans vs. Favorites who had somewhat of a breakdown and left? In some ways, you could call her a quitter, but the show treated her more as a medical evacuation. Anyway, if you are speaking strictly of physical health, you're right that it was just Kourtney last season. I do remember hearing that way back in Season 3, two people were hospitalized for dysentery, one of whom was Lindsey (who I only remember for being extremely annoying). But since they didn't miss a challenge, they were not medically evacuated...I wonder if the rule around that has changed because it seems that we see a lot more evacuations now than in early seasons. It seems kind of odd that there was 1 evacuee in the first 11 seasons and then 8 evacuees in the next 13 seasons.

Yep, that's the guy. Hence why I was not excited about him coming back.

28. MrSatterwhite

MrSatterwhite Barely-Known Member

Boston Rob did it in Heroes vs. Villains ;)

Prancer and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

That kid on the blue tribe, he looks like a reject from the Orlando Bloom factory. And that is never a bad thing. :p ;)

30. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I went back and watched the first half hour - and realized that half the people weren't really shown in the last hour of the premiere at all :lol:

RC is annoying and her main strategy seems to be her boobs, but I did appreciate her saying she's an executive assistant (with Abi-Maria totally ooooooooooo! I've done that!!!!!-ing over it :lol: ) instead of an investment banker, because it's (sad but) true that highly competitive/successful women are seen as targets. She's smart - I just wish she were more likeable.

Abi-Maria is a waste of space. The sooner she leaves this show, the better.

I'm really interested in the red team. I feel like we got to see the least of them. That could mean they all stick around and we'll see more later - or they get picked off and there's no point in getting to know them.

Russell is so bad at this game :lol: