Survivor Philippines (Season 25)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Catherine M, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Do we know for certain if it's a 2 or 3 person final? Might make a huge difference to Malcolm and Denise. If it's 2, then as we get closer to the end one of them will have to go as everyone will know that they will take each other to the end. If it's 3, then going with them might not be a bad idea as they might split the jury votes or get painted with the same bitter brush, and the third person could win.

2. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I'll miss Penner but he did screw up in not making the alliance when asked.

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

it is his own fault but it would have been a great opportunity to get rid of malcolm, denise or carter

4. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Interesting episode. Yes Penner made the mistake last week that resulted in his ouster this week. And I like Malcolm and Denise.
    but with Lisa/Skupin making the decision they made in tonight's episode, is the fun part of the journey now over for the season?
    I have really enjoyed the season so far, but now I am thinking it will be Malcolm/Denise at the end, the only mystery is which one will win.
    Where I had been enjoying rooting for 4-5 people (Penner, Lisa, Malcolm, Denise and just recently Skupin) and it is now down to 2 so quickly.
    Hope that makes sense.
    As long as Abi does not win. And Carter too, except he just seems like a nice kid, smart with the food decisions!

5. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

gah, I know Malcolm has the HII, but I really wish Penner has made a pitch to say they were voting for Denise and actually voting for Malcolm. Maybe, just maybe, Skupin would have gone for it if it would have taken out the bigger challenge threat, and taken an HII out of play.

Regardless, any TC where the choices are Penner or Denise is going to leave me in tears. GO DENISE!

Abi continues to be reprehensible, and the victim edit has GOT to stop.

very interesting that Carter voted against his alleged alliance. And his name never seems to come up as a target.

6. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Damn Penner! :( Oh well...still rooting for Malcolm, Lisa, Denise, and to a lesser extent, Skupin. Although kudos to Carter for feeding the tribe...seems like a nice enough kid, although he hasn't done a whole lot in the game itself.

7. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

I'm sad that Cousin Geri wasn't shown in the preview as Lisa's relative. :wuzrobbed

Moto Guzzi and (deleted member) like this.
  8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

So Skupin thinks that Penner and that other guy are bigger threats than Denise and Malcolm? MORON! Skupin could have taken Abi and Carter to the final three and cashed a nice seven-figure cheque.

And what's with everyone else letting Denise (who is a threat on her own) and Malcom (who is a threat on his own) continue on as a power couple (which is a threat) while one of them holds an immunity idol (which is a threat). MORONS! :soapbox:

:huh: Is there a guy named Carter on this show?? :p

9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:wuzrobbed I am sad. Penner really, really loves the game, and was playing excellently except for that one fatal move last week. He was reading Lisa so well, but totally missed that. Even if he hadn't wanted to commit, he should have taken Lisa aside and promised her alone that they were in it to the end. And yet, he's right she did write his name down twice, so in some ways, why trust her? Plus I think he really likes her as a person, and didn't want to have to betray her later. Sigh.

There was a moment there when he yelled out Denise! that I thought Malcolm might give the II to her, and how great would that have been if they were really voting out Malcolm! And yes, it's INSANE that no one is talking about breaking up one of the strongest alliances that Survivor has ever seen. Skupin especially should be seeing that this is another Tina/Colby right to the very end, and anyone else is further down on their totem pole.

And no one else is worried about Carter??? At this point I'm hoping he challenges his way to the finale, because frankly much as I've been rooting for Malcolm and Denise, they haven't done anything worthy in WEEKS. They're not winning anything, I'm not seeing any strategy, they don't appear to have any deep game insights, and in fact going after Abi might have been a HUGE error on Denise's part because it means she's out 3 jury votes (assuming Abi will also be on the jury). I do think Malcolm saw that and was working Abi for a vote - hopefully this means that he is in fact building his case against Denise.

Skupin has a few game/people insights, but going with Malcolm and Denise, and for that matter Lisa, is just stupid. With Carter and Penner, he had a better shot. Plus, with Penner now gone, Skupin's lost his shield.

Abi, who continues to be a little brat, is a smart brat. Here at home we might think anyone would be an idiot to fall for her 4th II ruse, but in the paranoid world of Survivor, it might buy her just a little bit more time - plus it will remind everyone that Malcolm still has one that no one is bothering to flush out.

And Lisa, Lisa, Lisa. Could her niceness win her the game, or will people say "look if you think this game is bigger than you and you're not cut out for it, then I'm not giving you a million dollars."

I'm :rollin: at the thought of all the players watching the first episode of the season and finding out that they were playing against a very famous child star and an a multi millionaire baseball player! Doesn't sound like Jeff has revealed anything at Ponderosa, and I don't think Penner will spill the beans, but I guess the word might have got out if anyone was keeping in touch after filming finished.

10. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Well, it was two weeks ago, so maybe that counts as WEEKS, but Denise was the one who suggested going after Artis because he was the least likely to get the HII. And last week, Malcolm was the one who solidified the F4 alliance with Skupin and Lisa, which was clearly the nail in Penner's coffin this week.

Yeah, even as I was hating on her, I was actually admiring her plan. Can't stand her, but if she won, I'd have to admit that she earned it, and at least she came to play.

I was :rofl: when Jeff tried to get Lisa to talk about her child star experience and Lisa was at least smart enough to come up with an acceptable answer to get him off her back.

11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

If Denise were a hot chick, everyone would be all zomg, we need to split up the power couple right away!

12. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I'm not sure Lisa was even thinking about her child star experience at the time. It looked to me that she was thinking about her failed marriage (she divorced right before Survivor filming started).

13. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Whoever is left between Carter and Abi after next week may be in an enviable position as the swing vote between Malcom/Denise and Lisa/Skupin.

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That's what I thought too. Might just be editing, but she hasn't mentioned it once in her confessionals, although a lot of talk about trust issues. Sounds like she hadn't fully processed it and wasn't ready to talk about it at all.

15. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed I am so sorry Penner is gone, even though it was his own doing. After not caring about him in his previous seasons, I found myself really rooting for him this time. Loved how he was blatantly cheering for Carter in the immunity challenge after he dropped too far back.

16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Penner actually did really, really well considering that above everyone else, he had a target on his back from day one. It's only because he's a very smart man and a good player that he made it this far.

Skupin had a similar target, but is there only because his team didn't have to go to TC, and because after the merge he's been a vote for hire.

17. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

My bet is that Skupin thinks he can win because he believes has been zero controversy with him...no arguements, etc.

18. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

If that's the case, he might be right.

19. genevieve

Skupin didn't really see the Tina/Colby alliance - Kucha was in position to rout Ogakor before his accident, and I doubt he really scrutinized the game when he went back home.

It IS crazy that everyone knows Denise/Malcolm are super tight and are doing nothing, but after so many seasons of tribes ignoring obvious pair alliances, I'm immune to it :wall: Even more than that, though, the strategy this season is different than any other season - everyone basically reveals everything at each TC! :lol: It's made for such a fab season I can't complain (doesn't hurt that for once I'm rooting for the obvious power alliance couple, which hasn't happened since......Tina/Colby).

oh, no, during the ep I was totally going "NO!!! why do you have to make a smart move NOW?!?" :fragile:

I think he need to be SO open and to tell everyone everything - even outside of TC - will cost her the million, if she gets to the final. Her personal ethics are overshadowing her gameplay, and while she's doing that way better than most "I played by my values" contestants, it has caused her to make some really boneheaded moves.

yeah, I had no idea what Erin was referring to - I thought you meant Player Jeff and couldn't remember any conversation between him and Lisa about her past. I think Probst was fishing for anything, possibly he expected an allusion to her celebrity, but her answer was very real and very fresh, and she handled it better than just about any Survivor. Usually they end up taking the bait and blabbing about whatever childhood trauma caused them to make whatever boneheaded move is being discussed, which makes cynical viewers (like me) - and more importantly, players - roll their eyes.

20. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Yes, actually it occurred to me that she was probably thinking about the divorce. But I don't think that's what Jeff (Probst ;)) was asking about...it was very similar to what he did with Jeff Kent a few weeks ago, he was clearly hoping for a big reveal.

And just to clarify, I was laughing at Jeff's question, his not so subtle digging, and his grin that gives away that he knows something the rest don't know. Lisa's actual answer was not funny, although I was impressed that she kind of told Jeff where to go without being rude about it.

21. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Why isn't anyone concerned about the Lisa/Skupin alliance?

22. genevieve

They don't have a HII and Lisa is even less likely to win immunity than Abi was.

23. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Oh. :slinkaway

24. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

My gut is telling me that Carter will be next to go unless he wins immunity again. Then the division will be Skupin/Lisa & Malcolm/Denise with Abi as the swing vote. And who is little Abi buddying up to at the moment? Malcolm. I think it would be a smart move to take her to the finals if its a 3 person final.

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

merrywidow you could be right - not because he's a challenge threat, but because he doesn't appear to have any relationships left. However, I bet Abi starts working on him. She's already trying to work Malcolm, and let's remember that reward where all the youngsters got to bond. Malcolm seemed far more comfortable with that crowd than all his 40-50 year old alliance mates. The family visit is probably being overblown in the previews, but if Malcolm feels like people are starting to look at him, he might start thinking that it's time to mix things up.

26. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I guess Alan Alda's voice won't be dubbed into the program for the rest of the series. :(

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  27. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

To me, the best game play is to ensure you have a voting block...so that you don't have to do anything. To not make yourself part of the core group and instead be some uber-athlete who wins everything is not the moves of an intelligent person. It might make you an Olympic gold medalist, but it will not mean you are a good player in the game of Survivor.

Haven't Lisa and Skupin been voting differently at times? Whereas Denise and Malcom have been tightly entwined since day one (or close enough).

28. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I don't think it will happen, but I am really pulling for Lisa to somehow pull a win out of this. :slinkaway:

29. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Watched it again tonight. Can't believe that Lisa bid against Carrter not once, but twice after he gave up his potato (admittedly no real loss) to give the tribe rice and beans. She should have let him have the next one -- or at least not bid against him for the final one!

30. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Interestingly enough, both RC and Abi and I think a couple of the others tweeted that they had no idea that Lisa was a child star until they saw the first episode.

But Jonathan didn't know, either, until Denise told him. He acted like he recognized Lisa all along once he knew, but he had no idea.