Survivor Philippines (Season 25)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Catherine M, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Photos are on ew.com
    It also says there are three returning players... any
    spoilers
    out there?

3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Are you fecking kidding me? :rolleyes: :wall:

I'm beginning to think they've hired a casting director from DWTS

4. Catherine M

I've seen the following as the three returning:

Mike from Australia
    Jonathon Penner from Cook Islands and that other season he was on
    Russell Swan (don't remember what season he was on)

They were all fan favs that were medivaced out.

5. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Rumor has it that the three returning players are
    Russell Swan, Michael Skupin, and Jonathan Penner.

And wow, I thought Lisa Whelchel was just a weird Internet rumor! Going to be hard to resist this one just to see how Blair fares.

6. Catherine M

I loved a tweet from Reality Steve asking why Tootie and Natalie aren't on!

Worst casting ever of a famous person.

7. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    I'm happy to see
    Mike Skupin
    come back. I'm kind of meh on the other two.

8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Wheee!!! That means that GOD will also be a player :D.

9. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

As a SF Giants fan, I sure know who he is. He's a former NL MVP and gigantic a-hole. So perfect for Survivor. :p

10. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Why? From the article she is a big fan.

I know pretty much nothing about her myself.

11. Michalle

Michalle New Member

I'm sorry but that is the most awesome thing I have ever heard... Blair on Survivor? I don't care if she's a super crazy fanatical Christian now, or whatever... just the pure ridiculous WTFness of it all makes it worth it. The returning players, on the other hand... yuck. NO MORE.

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Well I'm in. I don't have a problem with Lisa or the baseball player - they bring them in as regular players, not so-called celebrities/all-stars/coaches/twists (I'm looking at you Allison Grodner!), and I'm good with that. As always, it's both an advantage and disadvantage for those who are well-known, and fun to see how it plays out.

Don't mind the returning players because they weren't voted out - they were forced out for medical reasons
    well except for the one guy who is actually getting a second chance for medical reasons, but essentially a third chance because Jeff likes him!

13. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I just saw a picture of Lisa @ People's website. and she looks fabulous....the exact same almost.

14. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

Season 25?! Wow... I honestly haven't watched since Australia. LOL

15. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Wow! Blair and
    burn victim Mike from Australia
    ? I may actually watch this one! :watch: I forget when I stopped watching. :p

16. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Those two can form the new God Squad. :rolleyes:

17. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Blair looks good. But I think any well-known (or half well-known) person coming into the game will have an automatic bull's eye on her back. When Jimmy Johnson was on the show, some people immediately resented him and wanted him out simply because he was Jimmy Johnson.

18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

True, but it goes both ways - some wanted Jimmy there because they idolized him, and maybe wanted to experience his coaching skills first hand.

For Lisa, as she said there will be the older crowd who recognizes Blair, but the cast usually includes a lot of younger people who likely won't be impressed. The fact (!) that she's 49 might make her appear less threatening physically too, so that might also work in her favour.

Not sure how big the baseball player is, but the assumption might be that he's rich and doesn't need the money, and views might be mixed on how well-off a former child star from the 80s might be.

19. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

That interview with Lisa was great. It looks like she has the social skills to go far. She said she's watched the show since episode one, so I'm hoping she will be able to manoeuver the game play to her advantage. And she seems relaxed and not at all hot-headed, which will also benefit her. Go Blair!!! :cheer2:

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

She seems to have a certain humbleness about her too, which could surprise those expecting her to be Blair.

21. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i have read this over and over and i still cant believe blair warner is on survivor
    it's either the best or worst idea ever
    go eastland!

22. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Maybe Lisa can promise her fellow female contestants that she'll get them an introduction with Clooney if they keep her around till the final three :lol:.

23. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

hell, i'd keep her meet natalie

24. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Jeff Kent made over 80 million dollars in MLB, so no, he doesn't need the money. No way Lisa made anywhere near that much, but her show did air for a lot of years, so unless she's blown her money, she's probably fine. As for how big he is, he's pretty much a lock for the BB Hall of Fame, but he was overshadowed on the Giants by Barry Bonds.

I'm wondering if Jeff Kent will try and pull a Hogeboom and not tell people who he is. He owns a ranch in Texas, he could probably get by talking that kind of talk. But if anyone paid any attention to MLB over the last 10 years he'll likely be exposed.

I would be amazed if Kent does well. He was notorious for being a bad guy in the clubhouse, can't see him playing well with others in Survivor.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  25. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Yeah, I basically have the same reaction.
    I do really like Penner, but feel like he has already had two shots so he doesn't really need another. But at least he'll be entertaining, unlike Russell S, who was so boring the first time that I'm pretty unexcited about seeing him again.

26. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I don't know how I feel about the celebs/return players. I haven't watched a complete season of Survivor in a while because it's been disappointing. I used to be so obsessed.....I just want something that's going to hold my interest. Hopefully this is it.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I do think this will be fine FiveRinger. As I said above, at least when Survivor casts famous or semi-famous people, they put them in the game as regular players and let them work it out, rather than touting their celebrity or giving them special positions - they save that for their own Survivor celebrities with mixed results.

Bringing back players who left for medical reasons is also a difference to me. They were playing fair and square, but left for non-game reasons and maybe deserve another shot.
    With the possible exception of Penner, since it's his third time, but I don't mind the guy so I'm not objecting.

28. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I recognize Jeff Kent's name as a mild baseball fan/follower. I probably wouldn't recognize him by face and just knowing his first name, but first and last, and then seeing him, yes, he is recognizable to me.

T'will be interesting. Not a fan at all of returning players (AGAIN), they need to give it a rest. I doubt that will happen though.

29. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Interesting that Penner is listed as a writer, when his list of acting credits is longer than Lisa Whelchel's (who as appeared in just two credits since Facts of Life, the last more than 10 years ago). Penner actually has several series to his credit, as well as guest spots on major shows like CSI and Seinfeld.

Anyway, I'm liking the interviews and looking forward to the season.

And thanks Cynic for the warning - we are careful not to spoil on FSU Survivor threads, and careful even not to hint if we know anything. :)