Survivor: One World (Season 24)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Catherine M, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I like the changes, on paper at least. No Redemption Island :cheer2:, and girls against guys is made far more interesting by putting them on the same beach.:drama:

Like the DIY challenges too - they usually don't bore us with too much of the routine camp life, so this will be a chance to see who has leadership qualities, who is a control freak, who steps up, etc.

Kinda funny that casting put a guy on the show who wants to be called Tarzan, with another guy who already goes by Troyzan. :lol:
  3. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

They made a lot of changes for the season. Yay for RI being gone, not sure how the HII twist will play out and am confused on the Do It Yourself Challenge part.

Guess I will have to watch to find out. :watch:
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I'm glad to see reward challenges return. I missed them.
  5. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Me too!
    2/15/12! I'm glad they considered starting after Nationals! :p
  6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I wonder which one is the gay guy. :lol:
  7. Cupid

Cupid New Member

That would be Colton Cumbie, the 21-year-old college student from Alabama, I believe.

Can't wait for the new season! That and The Apprentice starts in February, too! Happy days are here again (at least through this cold winter).
  8. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I am super excited for two tribes on one beach. It is going to add an interesting element to strategy, and I would imagine there will not be a tribal divide once the "merge" comes... if you can call it a merge, since they'll already be living together. Tribal dissolvement? More like there will be cross-tribal alliances and there will be lots of strategy flying around from tribe to tribe especially when vote scrambling begins.

Anyways. I didn't read the article so I don't know if it is mentioned, but I read on Survivor Sucks that when you find an immunity idol, you have to give it to someone from the other tribe. So you don't get to keep it for yourself. Could be interesting, but, and I have plunked this note on the piano way too many times by now, I just wish they'd get rid of the whole HII concept. It's added nothing to the game other than wasted airtime the last several seasons.

Well, I guess Sophie's last word at the FTC sealed her win when she brought up Mr. Honor & Integrity's actions regarding it last season. That was epic.

:cheer2: Reward challenges are back!!
  9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I was being silly. I saw the video of the contestants that was in the link and it was so obvious which one was gay that it wasn't even funny.
  10. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Yes, they mentioned it. I think it is an interesting twist.
  11. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

First, :rofl: at your turn of phrase.

I think with this twist they are trying to encourage cross-tribal alliances from the get go. If the teams stick to themselves, then they wouldn't bother even trying to find the idol, because then they'd have to give it up.

The question is, will they tell them in advance, thus suggesting cross-tribal alliances, or will the first person to find it and learn the rule then figure out the opportunity it brings?

The challenge will be if a tribe goes looking for it en masse, and they will have to agree to who gets it - more like JT's failed attempt of getting someone from the opposition to join them.

It occurs to me that a HII thrown into The Bachelor could be a lot of fun :EVILLE:
  12. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

A few thoughts...

LOTS of hot bodies in this one.

Jeff is saying that a lot of the hot bodies are also fans of Survivor. That didn't work so great for Cochran, wonder if it will help these people.

Love the idea of boys against the girls. Boys always get their testosterone going and then end up falling on their faces. :lol:

Also love the idea of two tribes, one camp. I suspect that this will go over very well and that we will see this scenario again in upcoming seasons.

Having to share the HII means no more Russell Hantz, so that's a good thing! LOL

And speaking of Russell, I'm glad no past castaways are on this season. Enough already.

And oh by the way, liking to live out of doors doesn't help on Survivor. This is a LOT harder than you think it will be.
  13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

As Pat Sajak says, there are no bankrupts on the wheel and it's always your spin at home. :)

I think it will be the other way. As we've seen time and time again on this, BB and Bachelor Pad, bro code can survive a lot of temptation. The women OTOH tend to betray one another when a man is involved, and I think being on the same beach with them is going to distract from any hope of strategy.
  14. KHenry14

Only think I have to say about that is...Eric and Natalie. :eek:

My comment really related to challenges. I remember so vividly how the men blew the first challenge on Vanuatu for example after talking big before the event.
  15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

True - they are likely to put on a lot of bravado and assume they've won before it even starts. Another thing we've seen many times on Survivor is that big muscly guys aren't always the strongest, and over time the lack of food really affects them, whereas often the tiny girls are surprisingly strong and resilient.
  16. Fridge_Break

This happened in the Amazon season, too, I believe. Ironically, it was a balance-beam-type challenge that hung up both of these tribes.
  17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Premiere tonight!

My local station keeps running a promo that says "for the first time ever, two tribes will live on one beach!" I guess they've forgotten Thailand and the false merge?
  18. Catherine M

I'm ready to watch Survivor again after taking last season off. Glad to see a whole new cast and it will be interesting to see how the one beach works.
  19. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Thanks for bumping this up--I got a new DVR yesterday, nothing programmed yet. Can't wait for this one!
  20. KHenry14

I'm optimistic that this new twist will really pay off for the show. Well that, and the fact that this season will be a Hantz free zone!:lol:
  21. Catherine M

Not feeling all the chaos on the beach but willing to give the season a few more episodes to sort things out.
  22. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

:yikes: for pretty much that whole show, but I can see this becoming very interesting.
  23. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I think we all want to forget the Thailand season!

:cheer2: Thank heaven for small favours!

I found the editing a little confusing here...seemed like there were a lot of strands that were left and not really resolved. But we'll see how the season shapes up. Lots of potential!
  24. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Not a bad start, definitely promising. definitely editing was confusing.
    not liking some already, not sure of names - lawyer matt, alicia? tarzan and troyzan
    colton seems nice in small does, but could get on my nerves on the island
    good first impression - sabrina and chelsea (I am impressed with catching chickens)
  25. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I hate most of these people :lol:

The women's team :yikes: I like Sabrina, and while I dislike Alicia immensely, she is definitely working the strategy. I liked Christina, but her sucking up to the guys :scream: Then again, the guys apparently held up their end of the bargain (I didn't expect them to). Chelsea catching the chickens was pretty rad, but again - immediately the ladiez allow themselves to get pulled into a "what can you do for me?" discussion with the lunkheads including jokes about naked pole dancing :rolleyes: GAH.

If I hadn't read anything in advance, I'd be rooting for Colton, but I suspect he'll show his true colors soon.

Poor Kortney, but DAMN. :lol: Oh, and fake boobs and tramp stamps look even worse in night vision light than they do in real life :scream:
  26. KHenry14

BTW, did I see one of the women with a bicycle tattooed on their back?????
  27. genevieve

yep, that was Kortney
  28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I thoroughly enjoyed that - random thoughts:

The axe stealing brought the women together, but as I knew would happen, within the first three days they were already splintered, with several already approaching the men. These women will betray each other again and again, and while I don't know who will win, I do predict that by final 6-8 we will have more men left than women.

The axe stealing :)lol: that it was the banker) and the choice the men made at the challenge did something that I applaud heartily - served noticed that this game is not about integrity. Even Coach finally gave up on that one :lol:

I would have done the same thing as the men - this is a game, and the prize is one million dollars. There was zero reason for them to throw the women a bone - they already have the upper hand with the fire and their unity (plus I'm sure they think they are stronger).

Agree with those who think Coltan is going to get annoying fast. He may think he's the swing between two factions, but I think it's likely they will join together to get rid of him - not because he's gay, but because he's whiny and lazy (looked that way, can't be sure so soon) around camp. And if he's in cahoots with the other team.

I wanted to give that poor retired LAPD officer a big hug - she's hardly an attractive woman to start, but with all that swelling! I felt bad for her watching this at home last night. Seems like a decent person - hopefully will not be booted for being old.

Loved that they are putting names on people when there are a bunch of them and they're being talked about - I still haven't begun to sort them all out, but it's a help.

Forming alliances on the walk to camp? This is a hardcore group, and between that an the axe/challenge decision, I think we're going to see some serious game playing. And I don't think Jesus will be part of the storyline, thank goodness. :)

:rollin:
  29. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Finally watching the premiere now. Both tribes on the same beach could end up kind of intriguing.

Alicia is b*tchy. Christina may be under the radar, and kudos to her for telling Alicia the skank to STFU. I like Sabrina, and kudos to Chelsea for her fowl-rounding capabilities. Wonder if LAPD chick is allergic to something in the area? That angioedema could be dangerous.

Matt is an arrogant ass. Colton is an annoying, whiney ass. The Tarzan/Troyzan twins are annoying as well. I kind of like Jay, somewhat, and one or two of the quieter guys may be decent.

Should be an interesting challenge of personalities over the next few weeks.
  30. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

I think she just faceplanted on the net, didn't she?

That was a rough challenge for the women.
  31. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Ahh, I missed the faceplant. Just saw the lip swelling and was wondering about allergy. (watching on 3" of video on computer kind of is not my friend at times; especially after being up for 24hr! ;) )
  32. Fridge_Break

Good gawd, Alicia is a bitch. I was surprised to find out that she's only 25 years old... I thought she was at least 15 years older than that..! Her argument she drummed up against Christina seemed completely catty and pointless, and I was right along with Jeff wondering what the hell she was bitching about. Unfortunately I get the feel that she's going to be around forever (like NaOnka was).

LOVING Sabrina -- that girl is smart. I got a good vibe from her, she's my favorite after the first episode.

Tarzan/Troyzan/meat head tool boy alliance are all obnoxious.

ETA: Poor Nina and her... injury, if you can call it that. At least she seemed a tiny bit amused by the whole situation. She looked a thousand percent better in the preview for next week, so it must have just been a quick thing.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  33. Fridge_Break

Good god, all of these women outside of Monica and Christina deserve to lose. :rolleyes: I never thought I'd be rooting for a tribe of men, but this season I think I am. I'd be happy if the women don't win a single challenge all season long.

Poor Nina.
  34. Catherine M

The women are beyond pathetic. Kat's stupidity looses the challenge so Nina has to go!?

Does anyone remember what season they did that immunity challenge in? I feel like that I have seen it before.

Since the guys haven't been to tribal yet, I really can't get a feel for anyone besides Colton. And Tarzan and his mankini.
  35. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I don't remember but I know we've seen it a few times before. I think at least one of them was Vanuatu, the 2nd male vs. female season, because it feels like a challenge that is set up to help the women.

What drives me crazy every time I see them do the challenge is that none of them seem to figure out the easiest way to pass...which I've tried to come up with an explanation that will make sense written down, but I am failing badly. Basically, it involves both people moving their feet...they start facing one another with the one to be passed with her back to everyone else, and then they both move their feet at the same time and both do a 180 turn. Piece of cake.
  36. Fridge_Break

It was in Vanuatu, the last time the tribes were split by gender. IIRC, the women won that one because the men had issues being that close to each other :lol: And, also, that particular group of women was about 700 times more coherent than this bag of airheads.

I also believe the rules were a bit different the last time around. For some reason, I remember each person being numbered and they couldn't switch out, they had to go numerically. I also don't remember the rule where they couldn't touch more than one person at a time, but I may be wrong about that (or both of these points, it was good 7 or 8 years ago...)
  37. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

WTF? Once again intellegence and the benefits of age are discounted.
    (((Nina)))
  38. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I think Chelsea, Kim and Sab should team up with Monica. 4 vs other 3?
    I was rooting for Nina initially and wanted Kat gone, but some of her speech about life lessons to someone less than half her age, by the end of TC I did not care that Nina left. Kat is annoying, she will go soon.
    Colton - pretty sad. But it would be cool for him to blindside one of the muscles.
    There was a shooting at a hospital near me and the news was interrupting the show, I missed the first 5 minutes and part of the immunity challenge (did not see Kat fall). I need to watch on line.
    I do like that there are 2 challenges and no RI. Dynamics of the 2 tribes is a different kind of entertainment.
  39. genevieve

Kat is so worthless. Sneaky editing aside, I don't think the long dark blondes were really about to betray Kat/Sab/Alicia, but I do think that any chance Nina had to stay was obliterated with her outburst. But it could be she knew she was going and just wanted to have her say.

I do like Monica, and notice that she stayed out of the fray and threw Kristina her only vote. Would love for her to connect with the dark blondes and....well, Kristina would be the obvious choice, not sure if that vote makes it impossible.

Colton :scream: And it looks like next week we'll see his republican shtick start to show, on top of all his other charms. I was impressed to see him actually show some strategy after his pathetic whinefest at Camp Girl. Would love to see the beefcake duo broken up (apologies to OUR Beefcake xoxo).

Tarzan and his banana hammock!!!!!!!!! :yikes: :scream:

Kudos to the guys for not being icked out by the close contact challenge.
  40. Fridge_Break

This is about the only thing that will salvage the women's tribe for me at this point.

I love Sabrina as a player so far, but unless she disbands from the airheads, that cloud is always going to be over her head in my eyes.