Survivor: Nicaragua

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Fridge_Break, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

2. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Jimmy Johnson? Seriously? :huh: I really want to see what his hair looks like after a few days out there, but I'm not a fan of stunt casting. ABC has tried casting celebrities 'stranded' in a 'jungle', and look how well that worked. Ugh.

That said, I'd love to see him voted out first so they can get on with the game. It has an interesting premise. :watch:

3. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think J.J.'s celebrity status will put him at a great disadvantage unless he can win people over quickly with his charms. He will be an obvious target to pick on early.

4. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Whee!!!!

(When does Amazing Race start?)

5. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

I don't know who to root for. I'm not eligible for either team. :lol: According to Survivor, I'm neither young nor old. :p

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Who is Jimmy Johnson?

7. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

8. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

More known now for his hair (which looks bullet and windproof) and snazzy shirts. :lol: Which reminds me, I read a link this morning that he's a long time fan who has applied several times to be on the show. Oh, and I'm a long time fan of his coaching ability (just not the idea of a celebrity being on Survivior - too annoyed by too many reality 'stars' dancing I guess). :shuffle:

9. genevieve

They had that other football guy on several seasons ago - I actually thought it was funny that they had a sportscaster as another contestant and she ID'ed him :lol: But I take it Jimmy Johnson is more easily identifiable than the other guy?

10. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Sept. 26!

11. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:lol:

:40beers:

That's exactly what I was thinking! I always scratch my head when there are posts that assumes John Q. Public knows (or cares) who that person is. Football? :rolleyes: Some men grow up, others play football! :p

:scream:

12. genevieve

Well, you know, if Joe Namath were going to be on the show, or Mean Joe Greene I'd know who it was :shuffle:

Football seems to be the great American pastime, but I know a lot more individual basketball players' names. Probably because there are fewer players on the court (field) at a time. And they don't wear helmets so we can see their faces. But I'm guessing a 7' guy would kind of stand out on Survivor :p

13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'd know any football'er on Survivor if they had competed on a past season of Dancing With The Stars. :D

14. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Ironically, the other "big name" football contestant on Survivor was Gary Hogeboom, who had been quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys, which were coached by Jimmy Johnson...

15. genevieve

pml, I go to read the paper at lunch and there's an article about Jimmy Johnson being on Survivor! :p

16. genevieve

Pretty good ep, although as usual I only know about a third of the cast. A vote came up for "eve" and I was all who the hell is that?!? Glad Wendy Jo was voted off...she was beyond annoying.

Jimmy T seems like a loose cannon. I can see people keeping him around if he has any value in challenges, because he will have a big target on his back.

Ugh - Jud/Fabio seems like a stupider version of Johnny Foreplay.

Love that the eliminated players have to walk through a graveyard :rofl:

next week looks like a zinger!

17. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Yve Rojas: Long, straight dark hair, youngest person on the tribe. She's one I know because all the people on Sucks were swooning over her when she first turned up as contestant.

I thought it was interesting that Wendy Jo (I think) voted for her. We didn't see any interaction between them at camp, but they seemed to dislike one another already at Tribal.

Lots of big Type-A personalities on the older tribe. I foresee many clashes and lots of dysfunction there.

Jimmy Johnson's coaching cracked me up. It was like listening to some movie role grandfather counseling the youngins.

And absolute :respec: to Jane :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: for finally bringing along a pair of reading glasses and knowing how to use them. FINALLY someone who was paying attention and practiced.

Nice to see some actual fans of the show!

18. genevieve

I know - HUGE :cheer: to Jane!!!! Love how even jeff was shocked that anyone listens to him :p

I just read the recap at EW. Dalton Ross was there for the beginning of the season and shared some things not shown. Apparently during the IC, Jimmy T decided to try to confuse the other team by yelling at them...but his own team ended up getting confused and Jimmy J told him to shut it. That may be why Jimmy T was so incredibly incensed at Jimmy J afterwards (I was kinda confused about why he was sooooooo pissed that he had to go calm down).

Also - Wendy talked WAY more than we got to see. She did not shut up :scream: And then she got lost in the graveyard after her torch was snuffed :lol:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20354695_20426283_5,00.html

19. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

20. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying it so far. I do wish that they had players who are in their 30's...just sayin.
    LOVE fire-maker Jane. Just for that, she should win the million dollars! :p

21. genevieve

Yeah, I would prefer there were some folks in their 30s too. I guess TPTB figure that epople in their 30s are too variable - some will fit in more with the younger crowd, some with the older one. But I think it's weird that they've got one tribe of 10 people within a decade of each other in age - and then a tribe where the age span can be more than 25 years.

22. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

This is a figure-skating board, so it doesn't surprise me that there are posters on this board who doesn't know who JJ is. But for the millions of home viewers that tune in, I bet at least 60% of them know who JJ is.

23. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I was just informed that the original premise wasn't Old vs. Young, but once the producers looked at the contestants, they saw there weren't any 30 somethings, thus they decided to divide the tribes another way. :wideeyes:

24. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

25. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to why the tribe seemed to think that the jury would be star struck with Jimmy Johnson and give him the money? IMO, people would think he's already a millionaire, he doesn't need the money and vote for someone else.

I suspect that the younger tribe may be correct about the girl with the prosthetic leg might get a sympathy vote. But unlike the guy who was previously on Survivor with the prosthetic leg (I forget the guy and which season) he was a pretty good athlete, she doesn't seem that good however.

Lots of interesting characters this time around. Jimmy T is a tool, and Fabio is clueless. Spicoli indeed!

BTW, anyone notice on the charity ad that featured the famous Survivor contestants that Russell was next to last and Boston Rob was last? Why do I think that order pissed Russell off??? :D

26. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

From Probst's blog (that Sparks linked above), emphasis mine:

27. genevieve

Well, there was the runner with an artificial leg on The Amazing Race a few seasons ago - she is certainly an accomplished athlete, but I definitely think her artificial leg hampered her in the race (so did her asshat boyfriend...). Plus, in general there have been very athletic people on Survivor who don't fare well, because they are conditioned to perform under peak conditions. But I'm hoping that Kelly B will last long enough to show what she's capable of.

Of course, on the other tribe the players are trying to get rid of Jimmy J based on how they think he would fare in front of the jury - considering he was hacking up a lung on day 1 there wasn't as much about his ability to handle the physical stuff (I think I heard one comment?).

28. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

:rofl:
    Russell may want to cut someone after seeing that! :D

29. Lurking Skater

Lurking Skater Ms Lurker if you're nasty

Russell probably has his panties in a wad over it. :p I was disappointed that Boston Rob was last, though. I was hoping for Ethan.

30. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I always loved Ethan.
    When he won, I was at a skating event (2002 Nationals?) I watched it in my hotel room and jumped on the bed when the results were announced. :rollin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.