Survivor Caramoan (Season 26)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Catherine M, Jan 11, 2013.

1. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Bleah....

I remember being so grateful that Hayden had been unloaded on BB, because he fit right in with that culture of asshattery, rather than besmirching Survivor with him :lol: it's fitting that he's going out with Kat - but I would ask how long they've been dating that he would be considered her "family". Just seems like casting manipulation.

Then again, any new face is better than getting Rupert AGAIN. :wall:

2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

genevieve, as soon as I heard about this concept and then the casting rumours, I figured they'd be grasping at straws - Jeff's interview above pretty much confirmed it for me.

I'll wait to see the official cast list and watch the first ep to see how it's presented, but I ain't excited about this one. I don't like to watch too many shows anyway, and it was easy enough to ditch Survivor last season as there are enough other good shows right now to fill my dancecard :)

3. genevieve

I've been cutting down my tv watching entirely, Survivor is one of the last ones that I always make sure to watch - will definitely give the season a chance, as last season had some amazing moments (and a very satisfying winner), but it's easier to walk away from shows than it used to be

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

ITA. For many years Survivor was top of my schedule, but these continuing retread seasons and "twists" are so old. I don't mind the odd stunt casting of a celebrity, or even an occasional retread if there's a purpose attached to it, but when it's half or more of the cast, :yawn:

I think part of the problem is they set these themes, and then can't cast it properly. They call them favourites, but at least several each time are people fans barely remember, or that fans grew sick of long ago; or they call it heroes vs villians and even the players can't quite figure how some of them qualified for those labels; and now, if the rumour above is true, they won't all even be family members, and yet they're calling it "blood."

5. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

Wouldn't he be Kat's "water," not her family member? I thought that was the point--half the cast are on with blood relatives and half the cast are on with non-blood relatives, which includes spouses and SOs. No?

6. genevieve

you're right, I've been in denial of this dopey format :shuffle:

7. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

Yeah, it doesn't sound at all promising. And I've been wondering if it was Jeff's idea because
    his brother works on the production crew and Jeff has mentioned several times that it is always good for him to look around the set and see his "blood" there with him. Not that that is much evidence, but I thought even before this season came up that Jeff had some sort of fixation on family ties.

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Seriously?

Do they really think that whether a pair is actually related by blood or by water is going to somehow affect the storylines and the game? I may be proven wrong, but :rolleyes:

I'm more inclined to think that they wanted it to be all family members, but had to stretch the concept when they couldn't find enough former players who a) they wanted b) wanted to do it c) had a suitable relative.

9. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Huh...
    I assumed that the idea was blood ties (family connection including SOs) vs water ties (tribal alliances formed on the show). They are going to be on different tribes from the family members, right? So I was thinking like if there's a reward challenge and it's down to the final toss of a ball, will someone throw the challenge so their relative on the other side can eat? I don't know. I haven't read any specific spoilers.

10. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

I admit this twist does sound kind of awful but I will give it a chance. The concept of Heroes vs Villains seemed kind of hokey when I first heard about it and it ended up being one of my favorite seasons.

11. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I would agree with this. It's really hard to predict whether a twist will or will not work (aside from the awful Redemption Island one) and it really depends on what the players do with it. I'd also add that while the casting choices for these seem somewhat odd, often the "huh?" casting choices end up making things really interesting. Parvati in Fans vs. Favorites was a good example, as I don't think she was much of a favorite in her first season, but she turned out to be kind of awesome her second time around.

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Not always.

A case in point: Fiji. Mark Burnett, with his parochial English fascination with class and privilege wondered what would be the effect of giving one tribe adequate shelter, a bed, and food and subjecting the other to some of the roughest conditions any tribe has ever faced. Not surprisingly, the tribe that got food and sleep did better at challenges. Whoda thunk it?

Oh, and Nicaragua taught us that people in their twenties are physically stronger than people in their forties and fifties, and if you have highly physical challenges, the younger people will win.

:blah:

I think the show has played itself out. Oh, well. :barrel

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013