Survivor Caramoan (Season 26)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Catherine M, Jan 11, 2013.

1. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Me neither. There was one season where I didn't see much (pre-dvr and pre-high speed internet) and we had hockey on Survivor night. I'm assuming that was that season. How did the phantom tribe work?

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I think that Survivor has played itself out. The last few episodes of this past season (which were as much of it as I watched) were pretty good and I really liked the previous season. But the producers are slipping. They rely far too much on returning players and other gimmicks (Redemption Island, for example) that have little to do with the social psychology aspects of the show that made it so appealing in the first place. There is also something fundamentally wrong with their current screening process; there is no way that Brandon would have cleared the psych evaluation once, let alone twice, in the early seasons.

Oh, well. It was a good run while it lasted. :(

3. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

The phantom tribe (aka the outcast tribe) was made up of people who had already been voted out. The first six (??) people voted from the game were kept isolated and on rations and were brought back in for a challenge. They competed against the actual tribes and if they won the challenge, two people could be voted back in by the others in the phantom tribe. After the vote, they drew buffs (one for each tribe), their torches were lit and they were back in the game.

4. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

That was Pearl Islands--Sandra's first win, Lil the Scoutmaster, Johnny Fairplay and his "dead" grandmother, Rupert the pirate, Osten the first contestant to quit, and assorted other memorable things that kind of make even people who watched that season forget that there was a ghost tribe.

5. purple skates

Hmmm. I remember Johnny Fairplay and dead grandma, and Rupert and Lil and Sandra - but nothing about the phantom tribe. :lol: I think you're right.

Must have been another season I missed most of - would have been between 2007-2009 time frame.

6. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Sandra!! :cheer2:

I do remember those others too (well, not Osten ... why did he quit?), definitely remember "Fairplay" and the dead grandma (gawd how I hated him!), but I don't remember anything about the phantom tribe at all. Guess you are right! :lol:

7. purple skates

The dead grandma was awesome in its evilness. :lol:

8. Prancer

Lil was one of the people voted out who came back in the phantom tribe.

Osten was absolutely useless in challenges--all muscles, no drive. He volunteered to be voted out, but when Jeff found out at Tribal Council, he made Osten quit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruzCnRyQwI4

Little did Jeff know what the future would hold in the way of quitters.

I'd forgotten Tijuana's squeaky cartoon voice :lol: Not that Darrah's nasal twang was much better. :lol:

9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Osten didn't quit!!!! :lynch:

That and the "Jenna and Heidi stripping for peanut butter" are my two biggest pet peeves in incorrectly promoted (by TPTB) Survivor lore

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I don't like tribe switches as it messes with the developing strategies that I'm more interested. Occasionally they have sent one tribe member to visit another's tribe - I recall Russell's first season - and I think that's interesting and could be better used. They also used to bring one member of each tribe together for a summit - remember Boston Rob and Kathy? - and that resulted in some interesting dynamics as well.

The reward challenges where the winner has to surprise! pick someone to go along and then surprise! pick another person :rolleyes: are getting tiresome, as are the ones where half of them go and half of them don't. Just breaks things up too much when we need more air time of what's happening back at camp.

Maybe so. Remember the book that chronicled season one? It was interesting because the show started airing before the game was finished, and Burnett was writing the book as it went along, so there's less of the slick packaging to build their storylines and conclusion, and more of a Big Brother rollout where no one knows how it will end until it does. Anyway, Burnett talks about a few times where they had to wing it, as they were learning just like the rest of us.

However, while we want to call konspiracy all the time, I do think the machine is pretty big and well oiled at this point to be doing things like switching around challenges to favour certain players. After all, even when you think someone's going to be a lock or a disaster at something, there are always surprises. I think where manipulation comes in is sometimes Jeff's leading questions at TC, and in the initial casting when they are clearly trying to set up certain dynamics.

Anyone watch BB Canada this season? I was talking to someone who worked on the show and told them that fans were highly suspect of the timing of the return a player vote, because it resulted in the season's most interesting and colourful character returning to the game, which surely the producers wanted to happen. This person told me that before the season started they got a giant manual that laid out every episode - exactly when there would be double evictions, what challenges would happen when, and when exactly the return vote would happen, and it's exactly the script they followed. Getting Gary back was just lucky.

There are hundreds of people involved in these things, so I do think making arbitrary decisions to manipulate the game, while certainly not impossible, isn't very likely.

11. Prancer

While Survivor is also laid out in advance, the show has both the contractual right and the ability to change things on the fly. This is necessary because of the weather, if nothing else. This tends to make people suspicious of everything that happens and leads to a lot of conspiracy theories about producer manipulation.

Redemption Island, OTOH, was openly acknowledged to have been included as a way to give returning players a chance to stay in the game longer, as the producers anticipated that the returning players would be targeted immediately and they wanted to give the returnees a shot at getting back in the game. The challenges themselves are not manipulated; if they were, Russell would have played longer. Jeff has made a couple of mistakes calling challenges over the years and they've had to pay off cast members for those mistakes, but otherwise, the challenges have been scrupulously clean. Some cast members have accused the producers of trying to manipulate them during interviews by pushing them toward or away from certain actions, but I don't think even the angriest cast member has ever even hinted that the challenges are rigged in any way.

12. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

:confused: Except it didn't. I think that reward challenge Kelly went on where she watched the first episode might be confusing people because I've seen this statement before. But Survivor 1 filmed Mar-Apr 2000 and started airing the end of May.

13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

oops my bad, and now that I think of it I've been corrected before on this point! Just looked up and here's the Wiki page that gives the exact filming air dates - March 13-Apr 20, and premiere was May 31.

But there's still a point to be made - they would have had to start editing the show before it finished (unless they had a very big budget), so far less opportunity to do what they do now in leaving stuff out they think doesn't fit their storylines, giving some players different edits depending on what happens later in the game etc.

14. genevieve

The incident I remember most clearly was from S3 Africa, where there was a question about cast member tattoos in the final challenge (I think? although final challenges tend to be balance/stamina based, not questions), I think Big Tom was eliminated even though his answer was right. They had to pay him the same amount as the runner-up.

I've brought that up before - I thought the same thing, because in the show, the implication was that she was watching what we had seen, and therefore the show had started airing. Someone here (probably Prancer :saint: ) schooled me that she was watching an edit of the first ep, but it had not actually aired yet.

15. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I have posted this before... I think a fun season would be to do one just like Season 1. People would be searching for HII and nothing. So no tribe switching -just the merge. I think it would be amusing as people would be stressing about switches or returnees and HII and have none of it.
    Love reading the about the history. I usually don't like rewatching tv shows, but it would be fun to see some of the earlier ones.

16. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Of course, there was the infamous Stacey Stillman lawsuit from Season 1 where she claimed the voting was rigged. I never found out where that ended up though...

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I love that idea! Better yet, give them clues that lead nowhere :EVILLE:

And how about for rewards, the winner takes no one - they go by themselves, thus without an opportunity to do any favours for anyone and they are stuck without the tribe for a day. Then everyone wonders if that will happen again, so they have to decide whether they actually want to win.

I'm also still gunning for the same idea I've been harping about for years - a season of experts. They've had a few over the years, but never a whole season of people who each bring some advantage to the game based on their background, profession, skills etc. Like a survivalist, a professional negotiator, a champion puzzler, an elected politician, an obstacle course champ, a jury consultant etc etc. They don't tell them what's going on, each thinks they have something special, some will likely try to hide it, others will figure it out. Maybe include a champion from another country - someone who has played the game and won, but not one of our retreads who everyone would recognize.

18. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

When I get on Survivor, I will win the family challenge. And I will promptly pass it on to the person who I want to have voted out and let them decide who gets the family visit. Yes, I will be that bitch. I said it.

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Not a bad idea actually, because you'd probably get the reward anyway because the other person would worry about looking like a jerk for not returning the favour, so you'd look like a hero and not make any enemies in the process.

20. Prancer

Piercings, not tattoos, and Lex more than Big Tom, but yeah :lol: There was another "how well do you know the others" challenge that had the same problem, and so we haven't seen a "how well do you know your tribemates" challenge in a long time.

There was also a challenge where the contestants had to run a ropes challenge, attaching themselves to the ropes with carabiners, and Colby didn't click on one of the ropes correctly. Jeff missed it, Colby won, and there was a payout there. And then there was another one that I don't remember in detail at the moment, but I am pretty sure it was on All Stars.

The suit was settled, but her complaint was that Mark Burnett talked two of the other players into changing his vote in order to keep Rudy on the show. Burnett admitted talking to them about it; one of the players supported Stillman and said he was pressured, but the other person said that Burnett talked to him but advised him to vote his conscience.

Other players have mentioned things like that from time to time--that producers will talk to them about making certain plays but will always leave the final decision up to the players. That is supposed to be one of the things that has made Erik so angry about this season--he was said to have been very "uncooperative" with the producers during filming and has made some oblique comments about refusing to be their puppet.

21. Prancer

Cochran has another new job:

I'm a writer on a new CBS sitcom that premieres this fall! The show is "The Millers," and it stars Will Arnett, Margo Martindale, Beau Bridges, and JB Smoove. I'm more excited than I can really articulate over a Facebook status, but I just wanted to share the good news! I'll be moving out to LA at the end of next week.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Wow, good for him! Does he actually have any experience, or are they looking for his pov at the writers' table? He's certainly articulate, insightful and funny, but that's a big leap to tv writer.

23. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I don't think he has any experience as a TV writer; I guess the producers like his writing samples and want to give him a chance. I'm sure he'll do quite well in LA as he's a bright guy and seems pretty well grounded.

24. genevieve

that's great - when he said he wanted to write, I immediately thought of tv writing for him. Hope he does well.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  25. halffull

halffull Life is moving too quickly ...

WTG Cochran. Looking forward to checking this show out :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Meh. There already is a concept, and it's called Survivor.

And this is funny:

Read: "the ones we want won't do it."

28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Rumoured casting spoiler for upcoming Blood vs Water season:

A bunch of BB sites are saying that Hayden Moss, winner from a few seasons ago, was in the Survivor cast. The story being told is that he's dating Kat (from the season Kim won), so he's her "family" member. Some will recall that he was originally cast to be on Survivor but they moved him over to BB instead - not sure if that's true.

Bit of a stretch of course, but then again when they try to do these all-star type seasons the casting never really makes sense beyond who's willing to do it and is also available that the producers don't hate.

One point of interest is that Hayden won BB on the basis of a day one all-boys alliance that was one of the most successful ever, keeping themselves secret the entire summer (the season is much longer than Survivor) and executing with precision. On Kat's season, one of reality tv's only successful girl alliances won, having stuck to a strategy from near the beginning.

Thoughts?

29. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I didn't watch Kat's season but remember Hayden quite well from BB. He had a great social game with the brigade and was pretty good athlete too so I can see him doing well on Survivor if other cast members don't harp on him winning BB. Be interesting to see if (1) he hides his BB connection and (2) if anyone recognizes him.

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think at least a few of them will recognize him, but at the same time, there are several Survivor winners apparently playing who all won $1 million compared to Hayden's $500K.

They might not deem him part of the Survivor family, but then again, Kat is. Sounds like they've been together awhile, so he might have already met a few of them on the reunion/appearance circuit as well.

I wonder if there might be a bigger target on several who have already played multiple times, which could have some people thinking they've had their chances already, ie Rupert. I know as fans we're sick of them, but not sure if other players feel that way.